HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Burke & Leafs to target Giguere?

Old
06-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

vCash: 500
Why the sudden bitterness from Duck fans? Allaire was with us for 13 years, and did a phenomenal job, I wish him the best. I also wish the best for all players and management from our cup winning team, with the exception of Dustin Penner.

I also don't understand why so many Duck fans are pissed Burke is bringing in former players and employees, it's what he does, many times to a fault. I'll always be a big Burke fan for what he did with the Ducks, and wish him and Toronto all the best.

Edit: Also, please take Giguere =), we wont be taking any big salary back though.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesott11 View Post
he HASNT played good for the past 2 seasons... actually i think he was pretty BAD the past 2 seasons.
EDIT: I was under the impression said statement referred to Giguere instead of Pahlsson, which made following answer pretty pointless...

I'm one of the bigger critics of Giguere among Ducks fans and that statement is not correct. He was bad this season and had some rather weak stretches in the season before, but in that year, he had a (far) longer streak in which he was absolutely great which also moved him to 4th in the Vezina ranking that year iirc.

Last edited by Vipers31: 06-10-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 07:05 PM
bumperkisser

I'm pretty sure he was talking about pahlsson not giggy

bumperkisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 07:13 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
I'm pretty sure he was talking about pahlsson not giggy
You're right. My bad & thanks for pointing it out.

Old
06-10-2009, 07:14 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPSNAGS View Post
this does make alot of sense to me...i remember during the playoffs the broadcasters would say giggy and allaire are really tight so if he might have his NTC to stay with allaire but doesnt his kid have lik medical problems and need to stay in the anahiem area?
Thats why he asked for a NTC in his contract; that being said i'm pretty sure Toronto has some of the best hospital and treatment center's in the world.

We are Canada, health care is free here

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 07:18 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoringlegend08 View Post
Why the sudden bitterness from Duck fans? Allaire was with us for 13 years, and did a phenomenal job, I wish him the best. I also wish the best for all players and management from our cup winning team, with the exception of Dustin Penner.

I also don't understand why so many Duck fans are pissed Burke is bringing in former players and employees, it's what he does, many times to a fault. I'll always be a big Burke fan for what he did with the Ducks, and wish him and Toronto all the best.

Edit: Also, please take Giguere =), we wont be taking any big salary back though.
I would have to think that leafs and Ducks would do a Giguere for Toskala +

Especially if we sign Gustavsson.

Old
06-10-2009, 07:19 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgupca View Post
Thats why he asked for a NTC in his contract; that being said i'm pretty sure Toronto has some of the best hospital and treatment center's in the world.

We are Canada, health care is free here
I don't know from experience, but I'm pretty sure with money, you get better health care in the U$A. I've heard of our sicks kids hospitals being great, but most of the best research goes on in America.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
I was joking about Hasak ..

But when Ward and Zetts won the CS they made less...that was my point.

When Giggy recieved his contract he was worth it, and he may be again, but his trade value has dropped because of this years performance.

I think we have to at least send Toskala back...if we take on JS-G
Giguere earned less that Zetterberg the year he won the conn smythe and the year he won the cup he only earned $4 million.

Based on his play from 2002-2008 he's worth $6 million. Last year he wasn't but he had a pretty tough year emotionally due to non hockey related distractions.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 07:22 PM
caliamad

Burke might have hired Allaire to help recruit Gustavfson(sp?).

Normally, I'd say that getting Giguere would be a bad move for the leafs (given his age/salary), but many of Burke's moves defy logic. I wouldn't be suprised at all to see him go after Jiggy AND for Jiggy to consider the move.

There is a comfort zone with him, Burke, and Allaire, and I guarantee you that Jiggy doesn't want to be a backup for the rest of his time in Anaheim.

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 07:24 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliamad View Post
Burke might have hired Allaire to help recruit Gustavfson(sp?).

Normally, I'd say that getting Giguere would be a bad move for the leafs (given his age/salary), but many of Burke's moves defy logic. I wouldn't be suprised at all to see him go after Jiggy AND for Jiggy to consider the move.

There is a comfort zone with him, Burke, and Allaire, and I guarantee you that Jiggy doesn't want to be a backup for the rest of his time in Anaheim.
I can see it now. Giguere to TOR then Hiller falls flat on his face as the #1.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 07:32 PM
Talentless Practise*

Can you imagine having 8 mil tied up in Beauchemin, Pahlsson and Moen? It won't be the Ducks he's ******..

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 07:42 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Your compassion is astonishing.

We'll be alright, thanks for your interest in our fine organisation.
After Giggy we're taking Bobby Ryan...mark my words

Old
06-10-2009, 07:43 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talentless Practise View Post
Can you imagine having 8 mil tied up in Beauchemin, Pahlsson and Moen? It won't be the Ducks he's ******..
Pahlsson will resign in Chicago, I can't see Moen being a target and Beauchemin has said he wants to play in Montreal.

We should have 0 mil locked up in those guys.

Old
06-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
After Giggy we're taking Bobby Ryan...mark my words
I can see the desire, but I cannot see how you would want to make this even come close to reality... Unless there's five or more years between the two.

Old
06-10-2009, 07:51 PM
sgupca

Quote:
I can see the desire, but I cannot see how you would want to make this even come close to reality... Unless there's five or more years between the two.
Ryan and the Sedin's have been Burke's draft day gems....if the Sedin's sign in Vancouver before they can become UFA don't be surprised to see Burke target Ryan.

We may get a very good player with our 1st round pick; however we may not even have to draft him.

Don't be surprised on draft day if their is a trade between the Ducks and Leafs.

To Leafs:

Giggy
Ryan

To Ducks:

1st - 7th overall
Toskala
Stajan
Anton Stralman

All i'm saying is, don't be surprised if it happens.

Old
06-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
(...) don't be surprised to see Burke target Ryan.
Oh, i wouldn't be surprised to see him target him. I just don't see how he would be able to anything but expressing interest.

Quote:
Don't be surprised on draft day if their is a trade between the Ducks and Leafs.

To Leafs:

Giggy
Ryan

To Ducks:

1st - 7th overall
Toskala
Stajan
Anton Stralman

Oh, I will be surprised, because I would not like that deal very much. Trading Giggy for Toskala and a bit is one thing. But I would not give up Ryan for a pick, Stajan and Stralman at this point.

Old
06-10-2009, 07:58 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

Quote:
Beauchemin has said he wants to play in Montreal..
Quote?

Quote:
Ryan and the Sedin's have been Burke's draft day gems....if the Sedin's sign in Vancouver before they can become UFA don't be surprised to see Burke target Ryan.

We may get a very good player with our 1st round pick; however we may not even have to draft him.

To Leafs:

Giggy
Ryan

To Ducks:

1st - 7th overall
Toskala
Stajan
Anton Stralman

Terrible. That's not even worth Ryan, let alone Ryan + Giguere.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 08:05 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucksRule00 View Post
Quote?

Terrible. That's not even worth Ryan, let alone Ryan + Giguere.
Giguere is a salary dump....If the Ducks do move him this summer they won't get much in return...

But thats my opinion, i've been wrong at least twice before.

Old
06-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Giguere is a salary dump....If the Ducks do move him this summer they won't get much in return...

But thats my opinion, i've been wrong at least twice before.
I kind of agree, but I have been wrong a whole lot more often than twice. I would not deny the deal due to the Giguere part, I simply don't see the Ducks including Ryan in any deal that isn't giving them a player back that can have somewhat of a similar impact and is not far older. So basically - in about any deal that usually happens. There is just no need to trade a talent like that on a great contract.

About Giguere, I wouldn't expect a huge return for him, either. However, I find it very hard to estimate. Ultimately it comes down to me believing the Ducks will stick with the Hiller/Giguere tandem for at least half a year more and one of the big two defensemen coming off the books.

Old
06-10-2009, 08:15 PM
caliamad

Quote:
Oh, i wouldn't be surprised to see him target him. I just don't see how he would be able to anything but expressing interest.

Oh, I will be surprised, because I would not like that deal very much. Trading Giggy for Toskala and a bit is one thing. But I would not give up Ryan for a pick, Stajan and Stralman at this point.
A trade of Jiggy to Toronoto would be centered around 2 GMs accomodating a player, not manipulating assets.

I can see Toronto asking for the ducks to accept Toskala in return, nothing more.

Burke/Allaire is a good reason for Jiggy to accept a trade to Toronto.

Allaire/Burke/Jiggy is a good reason for Gustafson to sign in Toronto (who has said he doesnt' want to be a starter immediately).

caliamad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
I can see it now. Giguere to TOR then Hiller falls flat on his face as the #1.
Hey I agree with you. I am a Ducks fan and a big Giguere fan ever since his Flames days. Hiller was good this year no question, but he is not proven. I don't like his technique and once players figure him out, he chopped liver. That's my opinion. I wouldn't go with Hiller as my starter with no proven backup, although Toskala doesn't seem to bad, his reputation does not stack up to Giguere's. In Anaheim there always seems to be a goalie that comes along to dethrone Giguere, but their second season, and in some instances their career, they aren't as hot. (Examples being Gerber,Bryzgalov and you could maybe even say Steve Shields). Then Giguere regains his role. This past season had many personal issues for Giguere, and if and hopefully if he is with the Ducks next season, I fully expect him to recover and regain the starting role in Anaheim and become one of the top 10 again.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Selanne08*

this would help so much with the cap.

make it happen burke

Selanne08* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:10 PM
SFKingshomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossaHavlatGiguere View Post
Hey I agree with you. I am a Ducks fan and a big Giguere fan ever since his Flames days. Hiller was good this year no question, but he is not proven. I don't like his technique and once players figure him out, he chopped liver. That's my opinion. I wouldn't go with Hiller as my starter with no proven backup, although Toskala doesn't seem to bad, his reputation does not stack up to Giguere's. In Anaheim there always seems to be a goalie that comes along to dethrone Giguere, but their second season, and in some instances their career, they aren't as hot. (Examples being Gerber,Bryzgalov and you could maybe even say Steve Shields). Then Giguere regains his role. This past season had many personal issues for Giguere, and if and hopefully if he is with the Ducks next season, I fully expect him to recover and regain the starting role in Anaheim and become one of the top 10 again.
Yup. Hiller is likely a product of Anaheim's defense. Giguere is more proven and Anaheim should keep him.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:16 PM
wesott11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoringlegend08 View Post

i have nothing but the most respect for all of these guys, especially allaire and giguere... but its the fact that all three players are either overpaid or not worth re-signing.
and why toronto fans are actually trying to brag theyre 'stealing' our team is just annoying, although is kind of funny.

i love having giguere, but is intensely overpaid and not worth his contract.

and i do believe allaire was amazing, and still IS amazing. im very sad to see him go, anaheims goaltending isnt going to be the same ever again.

best of luck toronto fans with all these players, youll understand what im saying in a max of 2 years.

wesott11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Yup. Hiller is likely a product of Anaheim's defense. Giguere is more proven and Anaheim should keep him.
Agreed, relying on an unproven goalie to be our number 1 without having an established backup in place would be stupid. Giguere will likely have a bounceback season next year, he seemed pretty determined in his end of year interview to win the number one job back.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote