HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

NAHL and USHL Expansion

Old
03-27-2010, 04:05 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
Looks like there is a new South Division Team. A New Mexico team will come into play next year.

starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Will Goodwin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfosterftw View Post
20 teams for 2011 would be a serious stretch, and 18 might even be difficult. The USHL is taking some pride in their slow & steady expansion strategy, and are reaching a point where concerns over depth of the talent pool is starting to trickle out in comments by team and league officials.

I have little doubt that the USHL wants to reach 20, but unlike the NAHL and the minor leagues they aren't going to grab markets just because they can (e.g., a Flint or Port Huron should the IHL collapse). They want their expansion to be a deliberate and strategic process.
any potential for Grand Forks ND to get a USHL team in the future?

Will Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 08:53 AM
Edges7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Goodwin View Post
any potential for Grand Forks ND to get a USHL team in the future?
Grand Forks was a rink/facilities issue, IIRC.

Last edited by Edges7: 05-07-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Edges7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 07:47 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeHateHe View Post
My understanding is that the city has made a three-year commitment to the team, and that it was done to secure an anchor tenant for their facility, something they promised Encana as part of their arena naming rights deal.

I'm all for people being bold and aggressive; unfortunately in this case, they're doing it with the money of the taxpayers of Dawson Creek.
I live in Dawson Creek. The Junior B and Senior AA teams draw fairly well, and with different demographics. Everybody knows somebody , or knows somebody who knows somebody, on one or both of the teams. In a small town, playoffs are a big deal and the turnout is good.

The Rage are off to a good start buzz and marketing-wise, but the kids are not going to be local, NOBODY follows the league, there is NO natural rivalry, and buzz only lasts a year.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I can't see this working long haul.

kevinsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 12:48 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post
I live in Dawson Creek. The Junior B and Senior AA teams draw fairly well, and with different demographics. Everybody knows somebody , or knows somebody who knows somebody, on one or both of the teams. In a small town, playoffs are a big deal and the turnout is good.

The Rage are off to a good start buzz and marketing-wise, but the kids are not going to be local, NOBODY follows the league, there is NO natural rivalry, and buzz only lasts a year.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I can't see this working long haul.
seems like a silly move in my opinion...for the NAHl..

as for the NAHL/USHL

I would like to see the USHL expand more into the East and North...Minny, Dakotas, Wisconsin, etc...

I know this is a development league that feeds colleges, but I would really like to see maybe 3 geographic leagues within the USHL like the CHL has with OHL, WHL, and QMJHL....

The USHL should continue to expand and look into the North and East Coast...and even absorb the NAHL at this point...combine the NAHL with the USHL and you have 2 of the three confrences right there....

just my opinion, but I think the USHL can be bigger and better...and if they can expand they would lose less kids to the CHL imo..

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 02:28 PM
belldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CascadianHockeyFan View Post
I want to see how the NAHL does divisions with the Fresno Monsters and Dawson Creek coming into play next season. Fresno to Wenatchee is probably a 19 hour drive, let alone Dawson Creek, or the Alaskan teams.
O K so it is only a rumor but the buzz during the Robertson cup was Wenatchee, Fresno, New Mexico, and a Texas team in the new western division. Time will tell.

belldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2010, 07:25 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by belldog View Post
O K so it is only a rumor but the buzz during the Robertson cup was Wenatchee, Fresno, New Mexico, and a Texas team in the new western division. Time will tell.
I've heard that for a little while now, I'm pretty sure we're going to see some reorganization of NAHL Divisions before the 2010-11 season.

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Tornado OS

Send a message via Yahoo to Tornado OS
Well its now official Amarillo has joined the NAHL -
South Division might look something like this now
New Mexico
Amarillo
Texas
Topeka
Wichita Falls

I am hearing some more rumblings about Corpus Christi and/or Phoenix also being added.. not sure if its another expansion team or teams moving there.

Tornado OS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 05:36 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado OS View Post
Well its now official Amarillo has joined the NAHL -
South Division might look something like this now
New Mexico
Amarillo
Texas
Topeka
Wichita Falls

I am hearing some more rumblings about Corpus Christi and/or Phoenix also being added.. not sure if its another expansion team or teams moving there.
Holy crap, how are all these teams gonna enter the league at once, and how are teams that are getting added now gonna compete at all they haven't done any (or very little) scouting all year long, are they just gonna pick names out of a hat for the Nahl draft next week? Not only that but they can't get good camp dates or a number of quality camps before the season, and they are so late they were unable to tender anyone during the year....makes no sense to me.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 03:09 PM
belldog

Word I got during the Robertson cup was Wenatchee, amarillo, New Mexico, and Fresno in a Western Division

belldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2010, 03:51 PM
sbkbghockey

I'm getting a little worried about all this expansion. I'm all for growth of the game, esp at the top Junior levels in the US. But I think the NAHL is getting a little big much like the ECHL back in the early 2000s. and recently we're seeing many of those franchises fold. I think more of a CHL model of Jr. Hockey is needed in the US.
CHL is broken into the QMJHL, OHL, and WHL.

I don't think low level minor and jr leagues (ie. lower budgets) should grow this big. The NAHL is going to have teams from Michigan to California and South Texas to Alaska and Dawson Creek BC? talk about travel expenses!!

Old
05-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Tornado OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
talk about travel expenses!!

I think one of the reasons there is so much expansion is cut down on travel. Teams will play more division games and have a showcase maybe two of them - I think they are trying to really build up regional support and grow the sport of hockey in some regions. I know in Texas Hockey has grown a lot, it grew a lot when the Stars moved here and has skyrocketed with the Tornado and the CHL - should prove interesting in some of these new markets.

Old
05-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Tornado OS

Here is my thinking on the new alignments

West
Fairbanks
Alaska
Kenai River
Dawson Creek
Wanatee
Fresno

North
Bismarck
Aberdeen
Albert Lea(if it stays)
Alexandria
Austin
Owatonna
Coulee Region

East
Alpena
Michigan
Marquette
Motor City
Traverse City

Central
Chicago
North Iowa
Janesville
St. Louis
Springfield

South
Topeka
Texas
Amarillo
New Mexico
Wichita Falls
(Corpus Christi)

I think they are going to have to go to a 5 Team division with winner of each division and host team going to the Robertson Cup.

Old
05-22-2010, 05:28 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
I think one of the reasons there is so much expansion is cut down on travel. Teams will play more division games and have a showcase maybe two of them - I think they are trying to really build up regional support and grow the sport of hockey in some regions. I know in Texas Hockey has grown a lot, it grew a lot when the Stars moved here and has skyrocketed with the Tornado and the CHL - should prove interesting in some of these new markets.
Yeah I know that, but regardless of how the exact division alignment shapes up, there's going to be some travel. New Mexico to Fresno CA isn't a sunday drive, and Dawson Creek BC is pretty much nowhere

http://www.caller.com/news/2010/may/...set-move-nahl/

Meanwhile, expansion/relocation of the day: looks like Alpena being purchased by the IceRayz ownership of the Central Hockey League, who will run the frachise as the Corpus Christi IceRayz.

Last edited by sbkbghockey: 05-22-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old
05-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Tornado OS

Yup it will be official on Tuesday.. Corpus Christi has now entered the league also.. I also found out that Alpena lea is the team moving to Amarillo.. Also there will only be 4 divisions this season. It hasnt been finalized yet. It looks like the South will be Topeka, Amarillo,New Mexico, Wichita Falls, Texas, and Corpus Christi.

Old
05-23-2010, 06:26 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkbghockey View Post
I'm getting a little worried about all this expansion. I'm all for growth of the game, esp at the top Junior levels in the US. But I think the NAHL is getting a little big much like the ECHL back in the early 2000s. and recently we're seeing many of those franchises fold. I think more of a CHL model of Jr. Hockey is needed in the US.
CHL is broken into the QMJHL, OHL, and WHL.

I don't think low level minor and jr leagues (ie. lower budgets) should grow this big. The NAHL is going to have teams from Michigan to California and South Texas to Alaska and Dawson Creek BC? talk about travel expenses!!
Canada has 2 levels of jr a there is major jr which you have chl then you have the so called tier 2.In ontario alone there si to many jr a team in the ottawa area the jr a league called the central hockey league has 12 teams in southern ontario and parts of eastern ontario you have the ohl jr a which has 36 teams.Then you have the greater metro league which has around 16 teams then in northern ontario there is around 10 teams.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Canada has 2 levels of jr a there is major jr which you have chl then you have the so called tier 2.In ontario alone there si to many jr a team in the ottawa area the jr a league called the central hockey league has 12 teams in southern ontario and parts of eastern ontario you have the ohl jr a which has 36 teams.Then you have the greater metro league which has around 16 teams then in northern ontario there is around 10 teams.
That's why I was asking so many NCAA questions in the USHL Draft thread. I am familiar that Major Jr is considered pro but the 11 Jr A leagues with 140 teams in Canada are promoting themselves now as a stepping stone to NCAA. But these are mostly provincial based and fall under the umbrella of the CJHL. http://www.cjhlhockey.com/
I think that is what the original post meant I think. Have smaller leagues in the US geographicaly based rather than huge leagues that cover large areas.

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Alpine

May I ask as what is the difference between USHL as the only sanctioned Tier 1 league. NAHL as the only sactioned Tier 2 and the alphabet soup of Tier 3 leagues.
As I notice alot of EJHL (Eastern) and AJHL (Atlantic) get alot of NCAA commitments in the North East.

Last edited by Alpine: 05-23-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old
05-23-2010, 02:29 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
That's why I was asking so many NCAA questions in the USHL Draft thread. I am familiar that Major Jr is considered pro but the 11 Jr A leagues with 140 teams in Canada are promoting themselves now as a stepping stone to NCAA. But these are mostly provincial based and fall under the umbrella of the CJHL. http://www.cjhlhockey.com/
I think that is what the original post meant I think. Have smaller leagues in the US geographicaly based rather than huge leagues that cover large areas.
Exactly If you look at the Jr A leagues in wjhl2009's post most are within a short drive of each other. Generally most are regional, Major Jr. has larger budgets and revenue so they're more spread out but even then 3 leagues seperate the teams.

Quote:
I don't care that the NAHL is pushing 25-30 teams but what I think is going to be a problem is a large gap in some of the regions (esp.) the west.

Quote:
May I ask as what is the difference between USHL as the only sanctioned Tier 1 league. NAHL as the only sactioned Tier 2 and the alphabet soup of Tier 3 leagues.
As I notice alot of EJHL (Eastern) and AJHL (Atlantic) get alot of NCAA commitments in the North East.
There's a shrinking Difference between the USHL and NAHL. I believe there used to be a larger gap between skill level but its minor now. I don't know tooo much about the Tier 3 leagues but from what i've heard there's some larger contrasts between the teams within the league where USHL and NAHL and fairly even, there's some really good EJHL and AJHL teams and then some others that are horrid.

Old
05-24-2010, 01:26 AM
SeaToby

I believe part of the NAHL expansion is due to the fact that there are many more US kids playing hockey reaching the age from the previous NHL/AHL southern expansion... Kids from California, Texas, and Florida are playing hockey today that didn't twenty years ago... Plus they have been well coached with the new ice rinks which have been built throughout the south...

I understand many Canadians reject hockey's southern expansion, but the truth is there are many southern kids play hockey now that didn't in the past...

SeaToby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 02:53 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Yup it will be official on Tuesday.. Corpus Christi has now entered the league also.. I also found out that Alpena lea is the team moving to Amarillo.. Also there will only be 4 divisions this season. It hasnt been finalized yet. It looks like the South will be Topeka, Amarillo,New Mexico, Wichita Falls, Texas, and Corpus Christi.
Wow they are gonna add a team the day before the draft....I'm still wondering why they felt the need to add all these teams in one year, as well as allowing so many to drag along for so long.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2010, 06:57 AM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaToby View Post
I believe part of the NAHL expansion is due to the fact that there are many more US kids playing hockey reaching the age from the previous NHL/AHL southern expansion... Kids from California, Texas, and Florida are playing hockey today that didn't twenty years ago... Plus they have been well coached with the new ice rinks which have been built throughout the south...

I understand many Canadians reject hockey's southern expansion, but the truth is there are many southern kids play hockey now that didn't in the past...
I don't think that any Canadian begrudges the growth of Jr hockey as it provides more opportunties for all North American players.
I also think the growing of Jr hockey into traditional Minor Pro markets will strengthen the CIS and Provincial Senior leagues as there will simply be less teams for players to play pro for and they'll look at other options.
Other than that I as 1 Canadian welcome the expansion of US Jr leagues as it means the development is growing. But there are only so many NCAA/CIS schools so the competition for Uni spots gets more fierce every time a new Jr team is added.

Old
05-24-2010, 09:07 AM
wjhl2009fan

SeaToby
I don't think many are aginst the idea of the growth of hockey in the states its great.However i don't think sme know how massive hockey really is in canada in ottawa alone not including nhl oua/major jr there is around 40 jr a/b/c teams with in a 2 hours area.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2010, 06:50 AM
Alpine

Quote:
SeaToby
I don't think many are aginst the idea of the growth of hockey in the states its great.However i don't think sme know how massive hockey really is in canada in ottawa alone not including nhl oua/major jr there is around 40 jr a/b/c teams with in a 2 hours area.
I also don't think we Canadians understand the growth of US hockey.
I wonder sometimes though with Canadian Tier II Jr A, USHL, NAHL and the various US Tier III leagues promoting NCAA as the apple in the eye, that's gotta be near 300 teams. For this to work NCAA must have 150 teams

Old
05-25-2010, 03:51 PM
sbkbghockey

Quote:
I also don't think we Canadians understand the growth of US hockey.
I wonder sometimes though with Canadian Tier II Jr A, USHL, NAHL and the various US Tier III leagues promoting NCAA as the apple in the eye, that's gotta be near 300 teams. For this to work NCAA must have 150 teams
58 NCAA DI schools
6 NCAA DII schools (playing in NCAA DIII and NE-10)
71 NCAA DIII schools
57 ACHA DI schools
Total: 192

JR A Teams:
133 USA
151 CA
total: 284