HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jonathan Quick

Old
06-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Slevesque

vCash: 500
Jonathan Quick

Hello Kings fans, MTL fan here.

I just wanted to know what your thoughts were about Jonathan Quick. Now I know he became your no1 goalie last season and played very well down the stretch, and although you have a young team prone to make mistakes, he still put up some real good numbers.

Is considered by the fanbase on an equal ground as the no1 of the future with Jonathan Bernier, or is Bernier still ahead in that regard.

And How many games do you see him play next season ?

thx in advance everyone!

Slevesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:53 AM
redcard

Anything can happen. Right now he's earned at least the start of the season as #1. Terry Murray trusts him so I'd bet he goes with him unless Quick has an abysmal training camp.

Even if Bernier has a great camp, he'll still have to wait for Quick to lose a stride before he gets a shot at the starting job.

So expect Quick to at least start the season (barring injury) but if he doesn't come out strong and someone else does he will lose his spot. I recommend you come back around training camp time to see if anyone will step up and challenge him for the spot.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:12 AM
The Judge

I expect Quick to get better. Bernier has to play spectacular in camp to be the King's #1 Goalie. It's Quick to loose. That being said, Quick to play at least 45-55 games.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Bernier still wins in the potential department, but as far as both goaltenders go right now, Quick is likely ahead. Dean Lombardi said at the beginning that he was going to make Bernier spend 2 years in the minors and I am sure he still aims to do that. Quick would have to trip and fall under a bus and Bernier would have to play like the next coming of Brodeur for them to switch places this season.

So, in the end, Bernier has the edge in talent and the spotlight -- it is what he does with it that matters most... Quick, however, has a good advantage after having a solid season under his belt and more NHL experience, but we all know what happened to Ersberg last year versus LaBarbera under Murray...

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 01:30 PM
VictoryRose

Quick is a fierce competitor.

They'll go into this camp preaching that it's anybody's job to win (including Ersberg).

The idea is that this will push Quick/Bernier even harder.

Just going into camp saying Quick is #1 after half of a season in the NHL is the absolute wrong message, and one Terry and Dean won't send.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 01:33 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
This is his most endearing quality and the one that will keep him around as an NHL netminder for some time.

I remember during one of the telecasts, Bob and Jim were talking about how hard Quick practices, and that he gets just as pissed off getting scored on during practice as he does during the game. He takes responsibility and works hard. A far cry from our previous goaltender.

I see him playing 60 games next season, and I honestly think if he keeps progressing, Bernier is going to have a hell of an uphill battle. Good for us!

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 01:37 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post

They'll go into this camp preaching that it's anybody's job to win (including Ersberg).

The idea is that this will push Quick/Bernier even harder.

Just going into camp saying Quick is #1 after half of a season in the NHL is the absolute wrong message, and one Terry and Dean won't send.
I agree that will be the message they send, but JQ must be seen (big picture) to have the inside track, no matter what is said. Certainly, neither EE nor JB have any advantage over Quick, and I think that unless Bernier has an unbelieveable camp he's going to Manchester regardless.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Jwm1986

With all the hype that surrounded Bernier when we drafted him, were almost required to consider him our future franchise Goalie. Anything less would be a disappointment.

However,Quick played great last year and i fully expect him to be our starting goalie all season (Barring injury)

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:42 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN14 View Post
This is his most endearing quality and the one that will keep him around as an NHL netminder for some time.

I remember during one of the telecasts, Bob and Jim were talking about how hard Quick practices, and that he gets just as pissed off getting scored on during practice as he does during the game. He takes responsibility and works hard. A far cry from our previous goaltender.

I see him playing 60 games next season, and I honestly think if he keeps progressing, Bernier is going to have a hell of an uphill battle. Good for us!

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:55 PM
VictoryRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
unless Bernier has an unbelieveable camp he's going to Manchester regardless.

Well, they're both probably going to have very good camps.

Face it, these are both very good goaltenders. It'll take an "unbelievable" camp from either one to take the job from the other.

the best thing about this whole deal is no one is comfortable. You have to earn it. Even quickie. He knows he hasn't proven **** though, has a chip on his shoulder and will come prepared to play.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 06:05 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Bernier still wins in the potential department, but as far as both goaltenders go right now, Quick is likely ahead. Dean Lombardi said at the beginning that he was going to make Bernier spend 2 years in the minors and I am sure he still aims to do that. Quick would have to trip and fall under a bus and Bernier would have to play like the next coming of Brodeur for them to switch places this season.

So, in the end, Bernier has the edge in talent and the spotlight -- it is what he does with it that matters most... Quick, however, has a good advantage after having a solid season under his belt and more NHL experience, but we all know what happened to Ersberg last year versus LaBarbera under Murray...
yes.

i think that were anyone to catch one of the organizational heads in an honest moment and ask them to answer this question, i'm fairly certain their eyes are still on Jonathan Bernier first and foremost.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Guilty

Old
06-11-2009, 08:20 PM
TKFAN

[QUOTE=DIEHARD the King fan;19877481]I agree that will be the message they send, but JQ must be seen (big picture) to have the inside track, no matter what is said. Certainly, neither EE nor JB have any advantage over Quick, and I think that unless Bernier has an unbelieveable camp he's going to Manchester regardless

TKFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Captain Ron

I think some people are too obsessed about Bernier's draft position.

Would you give Bernier the inside edge on someone like Henrik Lundqvist just because Lundqvist was a 7th round pick and Bernier was a 1st round pick?

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:55 PM
10 ft. pole

You mean what if the Rangers had put more faith in Montoya as opposed to Lundquist!

10 ft. pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:59 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 ft. pole View Post
You mean what if the Rangers had put more faith in Montoya as opposed to Lundquist!
Exactly......just because Quick had less potential when drafted than Bernier does not mean that Quick is not the better goalie.....Do not forget that Storr was suppose to be the Kings franchise goalie.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:48 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ron View Post
I think some people are too obsessed about Bernier's draft position.

Would you give Bernier the inside edge on someone like Henrik Lundqvist just because Lundqvist was a 7th round pick and Bernier was a 1st round pick?
Spot on.

Jonathan Quick may not have been a hyped prospect for us but he has the makings of a very good NHL goalie in the near future. He has all the tools physically, but more importantly he seems to have the mental makeup.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:10 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwm1986 View Post
With all the hype that surrounded Bernier when we drafted him, were almost required to consider him our future franchise Goalie. Anything less would be a disappointment
I don't really agree with this, it's not like the kings fed us all this crap about Bernier being the goalie of the future, or the media built him up to be the next Roy (See Price, Carey)

We hyped him up, the hype was on internet message boards. In reality he was a first round draft pick, 11th overall. Although that's pretty high if Quick turns into a solid #1 goalie, the only think I expect of Bernier is to become a similar solid goaltender and not necessarily the "franchise" guy we all pegged him.

That being say, I'd love it if he (or Quick) end up being worthy of the "franchise" tag.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Chruceg

Hold on a second ... is this an LA Kings message board? Are we actually talking about a goaltending controversy? Screw it ... I think Jones blows the doors off of everybody and takes the starting spot!

(Yes I'm drunk ... just finished watching the sox beat the yankees AGAIN! Such a delight ... now if the Kings could do that to San Jose one year ... I would love that. I hate San Jose ... so much)

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

I take Quick over the two current Cup competing goaltenders.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 11:48 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

When Quick gives me a reason not to trust him is when I'll start worrying about Bernier.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 01:19 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
When Quick gives me a reason not to trust him is when I'll start worrying about Bernier.
How about every time he leaves the net to play the puck?

Old
06-12-2009, 01:26 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
AH! Damn you! How quickly we forget.

I'm not worried, puck handling is one of the more readily learnable skills for a goalie.

Maybe Dean can hire Ranford an assistant strickly for this purpose.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 01:28 AM
Brodie562

Quote:
thats why that stupid trapezoid is there for

Brodie562 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 01:39 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
AH! Damn you! How quickly we forget.

I'm not worried, puck handling is one of the more readily learnable skills for a goalie.

Maybe Dean can hire Ranford an assistant strickly for this purpose.
we already have Hextall...

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote