HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wayne Simmonds to Montreal

Old
06-11-2009, 01:11 PM
SFKingshomer

vCash: 500
I wouldn't do Simmonds for Higgins. Simmonds isn't going anywhere because even DL and his scouting staff don't know his upside.

He's very raw and has some offensive upside but the most developed part of his game is along the boards.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 01:24 PM
KeanuReeves

his defensive awareness, grit, forechecking ability, and ability to dangle every now and then kinda reminds me of Alex Burrows.... now I'm not saying that he's going to break out sometime and pot close to 30 goals but I think he has that potential and I wouldnt be surprised to see it happen.... from what I've seen of him he seems like a valuable guy but this threads done a good job at guaging his value at about Higgins as thats what I see it as.... last year was pretty disappointing for Higgins but I think he, Simmonds and Burrows all have pretty similar value as they all seem to be more important to their team than to others considering the intangibles. That being said I wouldnt trade Burrows for either straight up, but I would trade Higgins for either and I would trade Simmonds for Burrows and maybe even Higgind straight up, so I guess thats how I see their value respective to each other.

Also, I think Simmonds would be considered pretty important in a marketing pov in my opinion for LA as, believe it or not, he does kinda reach out to a niche audience that would undoubtedly grow if LA and Simmonds pick up some major success in the future

KeanuReeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 01:35 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Simmonds to me is Brown 2.0, I would rather get rid of Moller than Simmonds. Solid 3rd line duties all year. Only up from here for Simmonds. But where's the ceiling? I may get blasted for this but I would trade Brown for a star player because we have Simmonds in the wings.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 02:54 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

The only player I'd trade Simmonds for is an older, more experience Simmonds.

No deal. No Higgins. No nobody. Simmonds is just as much a guy to build around as Doughty is. WAY too important. He's going to be pestering opposing star players for years to come.

We can find our scoring elsewhere with other pieces. I would not include Simmonds in a bigger package, or any package. If the Kings trade Simmonds, my immediate mission in life is to ***** slap Lombardi.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Shellz

I think the above poster said it best. He's just not a player you trade for.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 03:02 PM
jimmy1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
Who would the Kings fans include in a proposal for said bigger name (Heatly, Vinny, etc?)
- Moller, Simmonds, Hickey.

Makes me wish we had a star to peddle.
IMHO - the players I absolutely would not trade (barring ridiculous overpayment) are:

Kopitar, Brown, Frolov, Johnson, Doughty, Simmonds

I would hate to trade Moller, Hickey, Teubert and/or Bernier, but would gladly do so if the right piece were coming back.

You mentioned Vinny & Heatley - assets I'd be ok dealing to acquire one of them:

5th OVR Pick, Moller, Teubert, Voinov, Purcell, Boyle, Bernier, Zatkoff , Stoll (assuming we were getting a C and the other team needed a more established player coming back)

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 03:29 PM
soybean

wow, he's held in some pretty high regard. I guess everybody loves the hard-hat workhorse defensive energy types (myself included) but really, he only scored 23 pts and was a minus player. He'll be better, but I can't see him being more than a 3rd line (15 goals) kinda player

If MTL dangled, say Max Picoretty or Ben Maxwell, I'd seriously consider it

soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 03:42 PM
redcard

Quote:
Who would the Kings fans include in a proposal for said bigger name (Heatly, Vinny, etc?)
- Moller, Simmonds, Hickey.

Makes me wish we had a star to peddle.
There's been about 30 threads of "player x to LA" lately and Moller and Hickey are offered up in proposals in every single one. But I have yet to see a kings fan include Simmonds in a proposal. The simple reason is that this kids going to be at the least a great role player. May never light the league up but has all the intangibles covered.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I prefer the draft/trade route. This type of player with experience comes at a premium.
Sounds like the trade route comes at a premium too, though. And when it comes to weighing premiums, I'd rather pay the one that is just somebody else's money... and we're still probably not talking about a premium that really puts a major hit in your cap even then. Hartnell was like the Rolls Royce version of that salary cap hit, say, and I'd feel like he was basically close enough to being worth the money that I'd rather sign the player at the $$$-only premium than give up a Higgins... and then be faced with sooner or later re-signing Simmonds at modern almost-premium RFA prices anyway.

But you can't alway win the bidding wars on the FA version either, of course. Draft and develop is probably our best hope for cost-effectiveness.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 06:32 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
wow, he's held in some pretty high regard. I guess everybody loves the hard-hat workhorse defensive energy types (myself included) but really, he only scored 23 pts and was a minus player. He'll be better, but I can't see him being more than a 3rd line (15 goals) kinda player

If MTL dangled, say Max Picoretty or Ben Maxwell, I'd seriously consider it
That's all he is expected to be. We want him on the 3rd line because we think he can be one of the best 3rd liners in the league.

Old
06-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Kingsword

Not to crap on our team captain, Simmers first year was on base with Browns, perhaps not as many points but the rest of his game - the game without the puck - was something no one could ignore. The kid is the living epitomy of hockey intangibles.

Simmonds played a majority of the year on the third line with Michael Handzus and anyone we could stick in the left wing spot - Moller, Calder, Purcell and so on.
He was an integral part of the Penalty Killing unit, and when tasked to be a part of the Power Play he was very strong. He was not expected to make the team, he blew people away at training camp with 110% effort and good hands. Simmer was selected 2007-2008 draft 2nd round 61st overall.

Simmonds Season Numbers.
Age 19...
82gp,9g, 14a, 23 points -8
2 PPG, 2 GWG
Hits: 132 (good for 5th on our team)
Takeaways: 40 (good for 3rd on our team)
Blocked Shots: 42 (good for 3rd in blocked shots by forwards)
TOI Per Game:13:50

Now let's look at Browns first full year 04-05. (He had second line duty most of the season, lots of pp time.) Brown was selected 2003, 13th overall...
Age 21...
79gp, 14g, 14a, 28 points -10
6 PPG, 2 GWG
Hits: 175 (good for 1st on the team)
Blocked Shots: 12 (good for 19th on the team)
Takeaways: 17 (good for 10th on the team)
TOI Per Game:13:58

To say that Wayne Simmonds is untouchable is not far fetched. Had he more oppurtunity on the second line or more time on the PP he would have easily netted 28 points.
Another point of interest: Simmonds beat the hell out of several people this season, taking majors for protecting his teammates and himself. Remember this kids name. The 20 year old will blow peoples mind this year, and become another core player in our franchise for years to come. You can't teach kids how to have heart and this kid has a big one.

Kingsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
The only player I'd trade Simmonds for is an older, more experience Simmonds.

No deal. No Higgins. No nobody. Simmonds is just as much a guy to build around as Doughty is. WAY too important. He's going to be pestering opposing star players for years to come.

We can find our scoring elsewhere with other pieces. I would not include Simmonds in a bigger package, or any package. If the Kings trade Simmonds, my immediate mission in life is to ***** slap Lombardi.
i can't believe it............. we have the same opinion....

thank god it happens

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:26 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
i can't believe it............. we have the same opinion....

thank god it happens
It's not as rare as you might think.

Old
06-13-2009, 01:22 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsword View Post
Not to crap on our team captain, Simmers first year was on base with Browns, perhaps not as many points but the rest of his game - the game without the puck - was something no one could ignore. The kid is the living epitomy of hockey intangibles.

Simmonds played a majority of the year on the third line with Michael Handzus and anyone we could stick in the left wing spot - Moller, Calder, Purcell and so on.
He was an integral part of the Penalty Killing unit, and when tasked to be a part of the Power Play he was very strong. He was not expected to make the team, he blew people away at training camp with 110% effort and good hands. Simmer was selected 2007-2008 draft 2nd round 61st overall.

Simmonds Season Numbers.
Age 19...
82gp,9g, 14a, 23 points -8
2 PPG, 2 GWG
Hits: 132 (good for 5th on our team)
Takeaways: 40 (good for 3rd on our team)
Blocked Shots: 42 (good for 3rd in blocked shots by forwards)
TOI Per Game:13:50

Now let's look at Browns first full year 04-05. (He had second line duty most of the season, lots of pp time.) Brown was selected 2003, 13th overall...
Age 21...
79gp, 14g, 14a, 28 points -10
6 PPG, 2 GWG
Hits: 175 (good for 1st on the team)
Blocked Shots: 12 (good for 19th on the team)
Takeaways: 17 (good for 10th on the team)
TOI Per Game:13:58

To say that Wayne Simmonds is untouchable is not far fetched. Had he more oppurtunity on the second line or more time on the PP he would have easily netted 28 points.
Another point of interest: Simmonds beat the hell out of several people this season, taking majors for protecting his teammates and himself. Remember this kids name. The 20 year old will blow peoples mind this year, and become another core player in our franchise for years to come. You can't teach kids how to have heart and this kid has a big one.
Good post, I like Brown and all, but Simmonds makes Brown expendable for the right player down the road to me. I think given some 2nd line duty he would of put up more points also, kid has great hands.

Old
06-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
Good post, I like Brown and all, but Simmonds makes Brown expendable for the right player down the road to me. I think given some 2nd line duty he would of put up more points also, kid has great hands.
You are bat **** crazy if you think Wayne Simmonds makes Dustin Brown expendable now or anytime in the future. Dont get me wrong, I like Wayne, but he's a 3rd liner who will be able to fill in on the 2nd line on occasions.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 01:33 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

am I crazy to think Simmonds scoring 20 Goals is within reach this coming season.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 01:43 PM
Kings man 4 life

Will you stop throwing Brown under a bus for ***** sake! Has one bad season because trouble at home! The guy takes a huge discount and bleeds purple. I'll be highly disappointed if this guy isn't a King for the majority of his career or for life. Nothing short of a one BIG ass over payment will get Brown moved IMO. He's our poster boy and a fan favorite.

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 01:46 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
example 10 of why I hate value of threads

why not gener4al value of thread?

hei worth 25 first rounders to the montreal canadians and a 7th rounder to the florida panthers

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 03:18 PM
JMFJ 3

Simmonds will not be traded, In a salary cap world players like him are too valuable to trade.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Jwm1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
am I crazy to think Simmonds scoring 20 Goals is within reach this coming season.
I would put money on it that he does...he scored 9 goals as a 19 year old playing limited minutes... id say he gets to 20 within 2 years and stays close to it throughout his career.

Jwm1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 11:44 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
You are bat **** crazy if you think Wayne Simmonds makes Dustin Brown expendable now or anytime in the future. Dont get me wrong, I like Wayne, but he's a 3rd liner who will be able to fill in on the 2nd line on occasions.
I think we would do Simmonds and us as fans a huge disservice to designate him to a career 3rd liner. He is in the exact mold of a Brown, Brown may have scored more in the minors but I can see Simmonds having a similar career as Brown, so Bat Crazy I don't know, I see a lot of potential.

Old
06-14-2009, 12:02 AM
OneSharpMarble

Higgins is our project and has a very high ceiling of potential, no trade.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 01:29 AM
Laterade

lol I have an idea for an awesome line.

Laraque Ward Simmonds
scary.

Laterade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 01:35 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
I think we would do Simmonds and us as fans a huge disservice to designate him to a career 3rd liner. He is in the exact mold of a Brown, Brown may have scored more in the minors but I can see Simmonds having a similar career as Brown, so Bat Crazy I don't know, I see a lot of potential.
Why would that be a disservice? He is what he is? A 3rd liner that can fill in on the 2nd line when need be.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 01:38 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Simmonds has many of the qualities of Frolov - puck possession, vision, finishes around the net, nothing fancy... it's eerily similar.

HE doesn't have quite the talent of Frolov, but he's more of a 2-way player... I think that he will, like Frolov, always look like a guy that can do so much more offensively, but unlike Frolov, no one will expect anything more than he already provides.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote