HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa - Pittsburgh

Old
06-09-2009, 11:56 PM
SenatorArmy

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SenatorArmy Send a message via Yahoo to SenatorArmy
Ottawa - Pittsburgh

To Ottawa:

Jordan Staal
Chris Kunitz
Eric Tangradi
1st round pick 2009

To Pittsburgh

Heatley
2nd round pick (from Columbus)

The contracts basically cancel each other out. Pens finally get that elusive star-winger they've been looking for. Ottawa solves some of their depth problems, by picking up a real 2nd line center in Staal. (I believe on any other team than Pittsburgh, Staal is a 2nd line center). This leaves a bit of a hole on Ottawa's top line, Maybe Fisher could be put there. Or mabye tangradi can one day fill that role.

SenatorArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 11:58 PM
2CHAINZ
@EverythingPawg

vCash: 177
Ottawa has Kelly and Fisher why would they want another over paid 3rd line centre ?

2CHAINZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 12:01 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Yeah I don't see Pitt as a good trading partner for Ottawa at all. I'm thinking they want a puck-moving defenseman, someone in the mold of Visnovsky/Boyle/Ehrhoff/Gilbert/Phaneuf.

I really think they and the Oilers could get a deal done involving one of Visnovsky/Souray, one of Cogliano/Nilsson/O'Sullivan, and one of Chorney/Peckham

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 12:02 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patizzie View Post
Ottawa has Kelly and Fisher why would they want another over paid 3rd line centre ?
staal is a 3rd line center because the 2 best players in the world also play center on his team....

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorArmy View Post
To Ottawa:

Jordan Staal
Chris Kunitz
Eric Tangradi
1st round pick 2009

To Pittsburgh

Heatley

The contracts basically cancel each other out. Pens finally get that elusive star-winger they've been looking for. Ottawa solves some of their depth problems, by picking up a real 2nd line center in Staal. (I believe on any other team than Pittsburgh, Staal is a 2nd line center). This leaves a bit of a hole on Ottawa's top line, Maybe Fisher could be put there. Or mabye tangradi can one day fill that role.
Heatley 7.5 Crosby 8.7 Malkin 8.7
Orpik 3.75 Gonchar 5
MAF 5

38.65 to ice their starting 6. Goodthing the cap isn't going down in another year.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 12:05 AM
SenatorArmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patizzie View Post
Suppose I throw Kelly into that trade

Old
06-10-2009, 12:07 AM
SenatorArmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Yeah I don't see Pitt as a good trading partner for Ottawa at all. I'm thinking they want a puck-moving defenseman, someone in the mold of Visnovsky/Boyle/Ehrhoff/Gilbert/Phaneuf.

I really think they and the Oilers could get a deal done involving one of Visnovsky/Souray, one of Cogliano/Nilsson/O'Sullivan, and one of Chorney/Peckham
I don't think a puck moving defense is as much as an issue as it used to be. We did get Campoli recently & we have Kuba & we have Karlsson coming up possibly next season.

I'm thinking Murray will either want a direct replacement of Heatley (like COrey Perry for example), or he'll want to bring in some depth for secondary scoring, which is why I'd like a guy like Staal personally. I think this is a great opportunity for Ottawa to reshape their team & concentrate on the other lines instead of being so top-heavy

Old
06-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Asking Price For Heatley?

Staal: Pens best defensive forward. Their best PK forward and still has offensive upside since he's only 20.

Kunitz: A 20 goal and 50+ point scorer. Brings tons of heart, grit and big hits.

Tangradi: The Pens top prospect. The key to the Whitney deal. A guy that they think will be playing on a line with Crosby or Malkin for years.

1st rounder: It's not a high pick anyway, but I still can't see them trading their 1st two straight years.

Heatley will get a ton in return for Ottawa. The Pens won't be one of the desperate teams trying to overpay to get him, though.

The Pens just don't need Heatley that bad. They're in the Finals without Heatley. The asking price for him is going to be high since he's been a 50 goal scorer recently and in his prime.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post

Staal: Pens best defensive forward. Their best PK forward and still has offensive upside since he's only 20.

Kunitz: A 20 goal and 50+ point scorer. Brings tons of heart, grit and big hits.

Tangradi: The Pens top prospect. The key to the Whitney deal. A guy that they think will be playing on a line with Crosby or Malkin for years.

1st rounder: It's not a high pick anyway, but I still can't see them trading their 1st two straight years.

Heatley will get a ton in return for Ottawa. The Pens won't be one of the desperate teams trying to overpay to get him, though.

The Pens just don't need Heatley that bad. They're in the Finals without Heatley. The asking price for him is going to be high since he's been a 50 goal scorer recently and in his prime.
Aren't you guys overrating Tangradi a little bit? Yeah he's tearing up the OHL, but he's like 20 years old.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Aren't you guys overrating Tangradi a little bit? Yeah he's tearing up the OHL, but he's like 20 years old.
Did I say Tangradi was going to be a 50 goal scorer? or 40? or 30? I just said that they view him as a long term solution to their need for a top 2 line winger for Crosby and Malkin and that's reasonable. Most scouts etc. project him as a guy that can do that.

Old
06-10-2009, 12:23 AM
SenatorArmy

Quote:

Pittsburgh reportedly has alot of interest in Heatley. & heatley wants to go to a contender. But to take on Heatley's salary they'll need alot of salary going back which is why I picked the players I did. In all fairness, the best player on Pittsburgh's side in this deal would be Staal & he is nowhere near the calibre of player that Dany Heatley is..

Old
06-10-2009, 12:26 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Pittsburgh reportedly has alot of interest in Heatley. & heatley wants to go to a contender. But to take on Heatley's salary they'll need alot of salary going back which is why I picked the players I did. In all fairness, the best player on Pittsburgh's side in this deal would be Staal & he is nowhere near the calibre of player that Dany Heatley is..
I agree. Heatley's by far the best player in the proposal. The Pens are interested? I guess every contender would be, but I can't see them giving up so much of their team coming off of another trip to the finals. It's not like the Pens need a shakeup right now.

Old
06-10-2009, 12:33 AM
Alex28*

Quote:
Did I say Tangradi was going to be a 50 goal scorer? or 40? or 30? I just said that they view him as a long term solution to their need for a top 2 line winger for Crosby and Malkin and that's reasonable. Most scouts etc. project him as a guy that can do that.
Yeah pretty much anyone on Talbot's level who hits people can fill that role. He's just hyped to be more than that.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Quote:
It was his 19 year old junior season. He may have turned 20 but he would also have another season of elligibility left.

Letang fan 58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 01:08 AM
backs4mvp

Too much going to Ottawa, quite a bit too much.

Two top 6 forwards(one of which is 20), 1st and a top prospect. No.

Take out Tangradi, chage the 1st to a 3rd, and change the 2nd to a 4th.

Staal
Kunitz
3rd

Heatley
4th

I don't see why pittsburgh gets rid of any bit of depth they have for another star. Any of the 3 go down, and your left with two and nobody else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaneuf_fan_3 View Post
It was his 19 year old junior season. He may have turned 20 but he would also have another season of elligibility left as an overager.
Fixed.

backs4mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 04:17 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Sounds great, because our team completely sucks and we need to get competitive in the short term. We have elite high end prospects coming out of our *****, and all sorts of cap room.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 06:34 AM
Kamina
Amok

Pittsburgh - Ottawa with Heatley involved isn't happening. We need someone offensive to replace Heatley, and Pittsburgh isn't trading Malkin or Crosby.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 07:34 AM
Mister Ed

Quote:
To Ottawa:

Jordan Staal
Chris Kunitz
Eric Tangradi
1st round pick 2009

To Pittsburgh

Heatley

I understand the temptation to offer Heatley for Staal+ but the motivation from Pitt just isn't there. This proposal guts a significant amount of depth that we have and turns us into a 3 forward team, besides Pens have proven this season (and most of last season) that they can accomplish a lot just by having the right $2-4 M wingers, not one expensive $7.5 guy. Honestly, Hossa leaving was the best thing that could've happened, that kind of huge cap hit would've wrecked our depth.

Furthermore, if the idea was to bring in an expensive, impact guy to play with Crosby next year, I'd rather see us pursue Hossa who's far more of a well-rounded player than Heatley, heck I'd rather see Gaborik at $5-6 M. Then at least we could trade what we want and get back the appropriate pieces.

So Ott fans, save yourself the time and don't bother with these Heatley for Staal+ proposals, it isn't going to happen for any number of reasons, primarily because the Pens don't need him and just aren't in the position to offer what the necessary trade bait would be.

Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 07:42 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Pittsburgh-Ottawa just don't make good trading partners in this case, especially if the Pens win on Friday.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 07:52 AM
tony d
The man

Can't see this trade happening either. Ottawa would need another scorer coming back (Kunitz is good and all but he's not going to put up 40 goals the way Heatley can), plus Heatley's salary is a bit to much for the Penguins.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 07:56 AM
JTG

Pens keep their toughness, two-way play, and grit.

The thing is, all these Sens deals want to take high value peices away from the Pens. The same peices that brought this team to game 7 of the SCF. Then consider that Healtey wants to be traded. Not real strong bargaining power from Ottawa's side.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 08:40 AM
tahi0009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Pens keep their toughness, two-way play, and grit.

The thing is, all these Sens deals want to take high value peices away from the Pens. The same peices that brought this team to game 7 of the SCF. Then consider that Healtey wants to be traded. Not real strong bargaining power from Ottawa's side.
People seem to think that we're just gonna give away Heatley for a bag of pucks. Other then Heatley having a NMC we are in a very strong bargaining position. Heatley isn't becoming a UFA @ on July 1st, he's signed for 5 more years,we'll just hold out till the best offer comes our way

tahi0009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 08:54 AM
seadawg
HFBoards Sponsor

Heatley wants to play out West...and Ottawa isn't going to trade him to a major Conference rival.

I think Edmonton and LA have enough prospects and talent to make a deal happen, but if Heatley really wants to play for a contender, I don't think LA or Edmonton qualify.

If I'm Ottawa, I say screw Heatley and trade him to a team out West that gives up the most for him. However, with his NMC they will likely have to comply with his wishes and send him to a contender. Looking at the contenders out West who might be able to offer something decent, I think Chicago, San Jose, and Vancouver might be interesting trading partners. I also wouldn't count out Detroit in all of this. I know money is tight, but if they were going to sign Hossa, they might suddenly reconsider and make a deal for Heatley instead. Send Hudler and a dman to Ottawa.

Of course the problem with Chicago and Detroit is that they are Western Conference teams who aren't actually out West. If Heatley truly wants to play 'out West' to be closer to home (or whatever), they are probably ruled out as well.

Going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Not being a Senators fan, I still hope to see a good hockey trade where both teams involve get something decent.

seadawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 09:13 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:
He might be being overrated a bit, but let's not forget that Tangradi has really only been playing at a high level like this for a couple of years. In full disclosure, I actually scouted the kid in 2004 for the school I was coaching at, and he was playing for the Valley Forge Minutemen. He was a decent player on an average (at best) select team, but was didn't blow anyone away. So if his growth as a player in the past 5 years is any indication of the type of potential that has yet to be tapped into, he could be a heck of a player. He's only been playing against top competition for about 3 to 4 years.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2009, 10:36 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahi0009 View Post
People seem to think that we're just gonna give away Heatley for a bag of pucks. Other then Heatley having a NMC we are in a very strong bargaining position. Heatley isn't becoming a UFA @ on July 1st, he's signed for 5 more years,we'll just hold out till the best offer comes our way
And what if that offer comes from someone Heatley doesn't want to go to? You said yourself...he has a no movement clause.

You also don't want an unhappy camper in your locker room. Particularly the one who is your best player.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote