I think it's still too early to say we'll play one of those 3. Realistically we could finish anywhere from 1st to 3rd in the conference and play any one of five or six teams. If we lose these next two games to the Avs then we'll likely be 2nd at best. Even if you assume we finish 1st there is a chance LA could be 8th. So the field is really wide open yet.
For selfish reasons I'd like to play either St. Louis or Nashville of the possible teams we could face. I really hate that we're in the Western Conference. Staying up until 2 or 3am on a worknight to watch a game is just not appealing. (note to Bettman: Fix that already! Move Detroit to the Eastern Conference where we belong. K, thx). So the closer the team is to our time zone the better in my book.
I have my doubts Edmonton or St. Louis will be in the playoffs as the 8th seed, but St. Louis would be an easy series to win for the Wings. Edmonton is fast, but the Wings SHOULD beat them fairly easily. Nashville...a wild card there. They can be good or bad from game to game historically.
calgary is sick, i saw them the other night, a team i dont wanna meet, besides they are a little too ahead of the others anyway
nashville is a physical team, a team that could get hot in the playoffs with them just now making it for the first time, they arent a young team of all rookies, they got some vets on the team and are a team i dont feel comfortable playing...
STL has my vote..
We all know ozzie can be beatten easily at times, there defense isnt too thrilling and offensively they arent had to shut down IMHO... a team id love to play
The Wings should be able to beat them all without much trouble. Calgary is the only team I'm worried about facing. St.Louis would probably be a tough series and put a lot of wear and tear on Detroit. I'd prefer:
1. LA - Cechmanek in net, and Palffy is the only star player on the team.
2. Nashville - Vokoun could give Detroit reason to worry, but they have one of the weakest defenses in the league, and their top scorers are Sullivan, Walker and Zidlicky.
3. Edmonton - They're heading into the playoffs on a hot streak, but Markkanen and Conklin arn't likely to give the Wings too much trouble.
4. St. Louis - They will really beat on the Wings, they're a feisty team and everyone finishes their checks. They have top scorers in Demitra, Weight and Tkachuk, and you never know, Osgood could surprise.
5. Calgary - Going into the playoffs with the hottest goalie in the NHL, they also have a very solid defense core.
Last edited by Spitfire11: 03-25-2004 at 06:03 PM.
I'm fine with St. Louis or Los Angeles because of their injury problems and inconsistent goaltending. Edmonton is scary only because of their speed and grit. Their goaltending is very suspect though. I don't want Calgary or Nashville but the Wings have beaten up the Predators in their last couple of meetings.
1. St. Louis - probably my second favorite team, and we have good games when we play them . Not to mention they suck this year and are the easiest out of the five (but don't count them out)
2. Edmonton - fast team but not as good as everyone thinks, goaltending pretty weak too. They're very streaky, which could be a good or bad thing.
3. Nashville - Definitely a tough team that we never beat but should. They've been great since picking up Sullivan.
4. Los Angeles - Doing wonders with the most man-games lost in the NHL.. they should be getting some guys back for the playoffs too, so they'll look even scarier than normal.
5. Calgary - Very strong team, I could see Kipper being like a Giguere against the Wings and we'd get beaten again .
Playing Nashville or Calgary in the playoffs reminds me of Anaheim last year - not a team I want Detroit to face. Especially Nashville, who have played well this season against us.
The only advantage to playing Nashville is travel, as somebody said earlier.