HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Canadiens have "another priority", then Tanguay

Old
06-11-2009, 04:46 PM
CraigDarby*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
The #1 priority is without any doubt Mike Komisarek..

There are alot of Alex Tanguay in this league, he is easily replacable..
Yeah, replaceable at the cost of another 1st and 2nd rounder.

It would be a big loss to let Tanguay walk, partly due to the investment we made in him but also for what he brings to the ice.

CraigDarby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Gaston Gingras

Hopefully it's Komisarek, he his a big part of our team. If he stay, I will name him the next capitain... since Koivu won't be back for sure

Komisarek is the #1 priority

Gaston Gingras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:07 PM
Marksman

Quote:
The #1 priority is without any doubt Mike Komisarek..

There are alot of Alex Tanguay in this league, he is easily replacable..
For Montreal? Really?

Lets hear some names, who would be willing come here to replace him?

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:08 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gingras View Post
Hopefully it's Komisarek, he his a big part of our team. If he stay, I will name him the next capitain... since Koivu won't be back for sure

Komisarek is the #1 priority

You will, will you? Thank god. That's one less responsibility for the players to have to follow through on. Thanks for taking a load off them.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:09 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
VINNY! and we keep our 1st round pick XD

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:10 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
For Montreal? Really?

Lets hear some names, who would be willing come here to replace him?
Yeah, lets try and picture that 'surge' at the end of the season when kovy, koivu and tangs put up insane numbers without alex tanguay.

If they let tanguay walk and he's willing to sign here, they better be damn sure they have a good freakin excuse.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:13 PM
ToysInTheAttic

I think Gainey was letting Tanguay's agent know that as far as signings go he is focused on signing his top UFAs(I personally think that would be Kovalev) first. Doesn't mean Tanguay is out of the picture.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Gaston Gingras

Yes I will, he always had a great attitude, very positive and honnest!! Never takes a night off and very respected by his teamates.

Gaston Gingras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:23 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
Tanguay's agent said he met with Gainey and was told the Canadiens have another priority currently, and then they can talk about Alex Tanguay. Says there hasn't been any indication if the Canadiens are interested in retaining him, or anything.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/276319.html

Komisarek? Kovalev? Koivu? New owner? New coaching staff? A trade?

It's slightly interesting during the slow season anyway!
Probably the goalie coach...

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:25 PM
JackieChan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Mario had to buy the Penguins or else he wasn't going to see any of his money.
His vision had very little to do with it. You're also talking about one of the best players of All Time, so if someone's to have a vision, let it be him.

PKP didn't even know who Jacques Martin was until he was hired and if we base ourselves on his comment in the news, he was too stupid to realize why Gainey couldn't wait and extra 2-3weeks to sign one.

So, please don't compare the Pens situation to ours or Mario Lemieux to PKP.

As for not having both at the same time...we had it with Gillett, so yes, it's possible.

I know about the situation that led to Mario Buying the Pens. I was only pointing out an example showing that hands-on owners CAN be good owners.

My friend, pay more attention and don't put words in my mouth, I never compared PKP to anybody. You don't have to prove me how bad of an owner PKP could be, and btw, I'm whishing the Molson Bros. become the next owners.

And how can you possibly say we had an owner that was not in it for the money and kept his hands off the hockey operations in Gillett?

Did Gillett have any history of being a hockey fan before he bought the team for peanuts? Isn't he not selling his very profitable hockey team instead of his insanely profitable soccer team?

For the hockey operations part, we'll never know, but he definitely was here mostly for money. As far as I'm concerned, putting the team in such a difficult position in such a crucial period of time is way worse than asking a GM to trade away a player and sign another.

JackieChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:30 PM
NHLcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Yea, problem is you don't know Gainey.
And how would you know this? huh?

Anyways the fun times should begin in about 2 weeks!

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:33 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigDarby View Post
Yeah, replaceable at the cost of another 1st and 2nd rounder.

It would be a big loss to let Tanguay walk, partly due to the investment we made in him but also for what he brings to the ice.
Havlat could be had for about the same price on the UFA mArket (4 - 4.5).. more injury prone than Tanguay but way more coachable.. When healthy Havlat plays this game with alot more fire than Tanguay who tends to play on the soft side, also he just had 2 serious shoulder injuries, I would rather gamble on a guy like Havlat personally... A guy like Mikeal Samuelsson could get some nice numbers playing on the top 6, another pretty good option.. Im not sure Gaborik will get much more than 5 millions on the UFA market, alot of teams are trying to fit under the cap while some other have financial issues, its not a good time to be a UFA, especially when you are injury prone, its a high risk to take.. I would take Mike Cammalleri in my team way before Tanguay...

Anyway I highly doubt any of Tanguay or Kovalev will get a legitimate offer from Gainey, they arent the type of players fitting well under a structured team system like Martin will try to establish, I rather see Gainey trying to get a skilled winger who gets his nose dirty and show up every games, even if he is injury prone, at least this guy will be a good example to follow for our kids.. I could see Simon Gagné being avalaible since the Flyers need to clear a big salary to improve elsewhere and I think he could be had for relatively cheap, he is injury prone, makes 5 millions per year, 2 years from free agency, I dont see many teams having the luxury to give a quality kid or a high draft pick for him.. I think Halak + 2nd pick could get the job done..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 06-11-2009 at 05:43 PM.
NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Quagmier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysInTheAttic View Post
I think Gainey was letting Tanguay's agent know that as far as signings go he is focused on signing his top UFAs(I personally think that would be Kovalev) first. Doesn't mean Tanguay is out of the picture.
I think that Tanguay is our number one offensive UFA. Not only because of his skill set but also because of his age. The rest of our guys are getting up there in years, but Tanguay still has a hefty chunk of his prime left in him, and if you can lock him up to a reasonable contract for the next 4-5 years, you get a star winger in his prime. Based on how young this team is, bringing back guys like Kovalev, Lang and Schneider would be more of a bandaid solution that solidifying our core.

Tanguay is a great offensive playmaker and pretty decent defensively. If healthy he can (and should) fill a top line role on this team as Kostitsyn develops. There may be other alternatives out there who can fill a similar role, but we have exclusive negotiating rights with Alex, we know he wants to play here, and we have a spot for him in the lineup and on our cap...

as far as UFAs go he is at the top of our priority list. It's gotta be the sale of the team or a major trade that is stalling the negotiation.

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:49 PM
CraigDarby*

Quote:
Havlat could be had for about the same price on the UFA mArket (4 - 4.5).. more injury prone than Tanguay but way more coachable.. When healthy Havlat plays this game with alot more fire than Tanguay who tends to play on the soft side, also he just had 2 serious shoulder injuries, I would rather gamble on a guy like Havlat personally... A guy like Mikeal Samuelsson could get some nice numbers playing on the top 6, another pretty good option.. Im not sure Gaborik will get much more than 5 millions on the UFA market, alot of teams are trying to fit under the cap while some other have financial issues, its not a good time to be a UFA, especially when you are injury prone, its a high risk to take.. I would take Mike Cammalleri in my team way before Tanguay...

Anyway I highly doubt any of Tanguay or Kovalev will get a legitimate offer from Gainey, they arent the type of players fitting well under a structured team system like Martin will try to establish, I rather see Gainey trying to get a skilled winger who gets his nose dirty and show up every games, even if he is injury prone, at least this guy will be a good example to follow for our kids..
Havlat will re-sign in Chicago. Samuelsson isn't in the same league as Tanguay. Gaborik will get atleast 6 million on the open market. Cammalleri will cost more than Tanguay. Plus how much luck have we even had with UFA's to be confident in letting Tanguay go elsewhere?

If we can sign Alex T. for 4 years at 16 million and AK-27 for 7-8 million over 2 years, I'd be all over it. You're kidding yourself if you think Gainey will let both walk.

CraigDarby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
I know about the situation that led to Mario Buying the Pens. I was only pointing out an example showing that hands-on owners CAN be good owners.

My friend, pay more attention and don't put words in my mouth, I never compared PKP to anybody. You don't have to prove me how bad of an owner PKP could be, and btw, I'm whishing the Molson Bros. become the next owners.

And how can you possibly say we had an owner that was not in it for the money and kept his hands off the hockey operations in Gillett?

Did Gillett have any history of being a hockey fan before he bought the team for peanuts? Isn't he not selling his very profitable hockey team instead of his insanely profitable soccer team?

For the hockey operations part, we'll never know, but he definitely was here mostly for money. As far as I'm concerned, putting the team in such a difficult position in such a crucial period of time is way worse than asking a GM to trade away a player and sign another.
I misread what you had written about that part, thought you meant an owner that will invest big money on us will automatically want to put his nose into hockey related decisions.

My bad, was a long day at work and still is actually

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 05:52 PM
Marksman

NHE,

How will Havlat take only 4.5-5 million when he made 6 million this year and (finally) had a healthy year and career high points? I thing your estimate is way off.

Gaborik... I wouldnt give him more than one year deal, anything more is too risky, hes just not built for this game.

Samuelsson... thats really grasping straws. Are you aware hes 32-yo with career best of 45 pts. Just a spare part in Wings system, we already have players in his calibre.

I like Cammalleri too, and Gagne, but Halak and 2nd wont be enough for him, now that they have a goalie (and that would create another hole to patch for us). Besides isnt Briere who they are supposed to be shopping?

Last edited by Marksman: 06-11-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
Talk about underrating a player...

The guy has average 0.93 points a game over his last 6 seasons and you're telling me there's plenty of guys like him in the league?
Too bad he doesn't have Sakic, Forsberg, and Hejduk to help him maintain that average.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Too bad he doesn't have Sakic, Forsberg, and Hejduk to help him maintain that average.
Yea..too bad his career year came in Calgary not Colorado.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 06:30 PM
peperebougon*

I am so friggin nervous...I hope those idiots don't mess up the club's future/present. I am getting pretty pisssed off right now. Can't wait to know for sure who's in charge. So far i like the Martin and the swede player's signing (especially Martin). Can't wait to have the first UFA re-signing. Right now we don't even have half a team. I know things will get sorted out anyway but I can't help but feel anxious. Best scenario? Molson buys. They are the only ones I trust to not interfere with the DG's job.

Each day, I come here hoping for some good news... I wish us all a good team because we deserve it. We sucked for the last 15 years just to see the team finish first and fall flat on it's face the next year. Come on Bob! Don't let these guys get in your way!!!!!!!

This is obvious that some of our UFAs will be among the best in their categories... Suddenly, Komisarek, Kovalev etc...don,t sock anymore...

I hope Tanguay comes back, same with every other UFA/RFA players. Any signing will make me happy

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 06:30 PM
DaHabMan

the fact that he cost us a first rounder, we must keep him because i would hate to have wasted that for a player who played half a year. He wants to stay here then good we should keep him. People saying he can be replaced, how many players of his calibre have we signed in the last few years?? None, exactly. we got one, we sure as hell better keep him.

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 06:33 PM
MathMan

More important priorities right now could be:

1- Ownership (I think any free agent would like to have settled that first!)
2- A big, cap-limiting trade
3- Coaching Staff

or

4- Getting information from the league as to what the cap will be this year.

#4 here is very important and might well be why very few free agents, UFAs or RFAs, from any team, have been re-signed. It's not like the Habs are behind the herd here.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 06:35 PM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Comments pulled out of an arse stink.

Old
06-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Newhabfan

If you listened to the original show, Bob Sauvé says "Bob Gainey told us that they have another priority and soon he will talk to the free agents"

You do not need a PhD to understand that the priority in question is the team being sold over the next days.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 06:38 PM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
If you listened to the original show, Bob Sauvé says "Bob Gainey told us that they have another priority and soon he will talk to the free agents"

You do not need a PhD to understand that the priority in question is the team being sold over the next days.
Et voila! That is why I am eager for the team to be sold!!

Old
06-11-2009, 06:40 PM
DaHabMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post

/thread

DaHabMan is offline   Reply With Quote