HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens have "another priority", then Tanguay

Old
06-11-2009, 06:44 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
That seems kind of weird. I can't imagine Tanguay being pleased with hearing "sorry, we have another priority. When we settle that we'll talk to you." Hopefully its concerning ownership, because if Gainey is talking about another player then that is kind of a slap in the face to Tanguay.
That makes no sense, July 1st isn't here yet and the UFA list is still a projected one.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 06:44 PM
holyhabs87

As much as I would like it to be Komisarek...it is not..it is the sale..which in my opinion will be done in the very near future.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 06:46 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Too bad he doesn't have Sakic, Forsberg, and Hejduk to help him maintain that average.
You are aware that he had his best season in Colorado with noted All-Stars Ian Laperriere and Brent MacLean as linemates?

Just checking.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:02 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
I doubt it's ownership. If it is, everybody can just go **** themselves.

Either the team doesn't want Tanguay back or they plan on taking on a lot of salary soon (whether through trade or re-signings) and don't want to commit to him if it ties their hands.

That they haven't even discussed their intentions with his agent yet makes me think they aren't interested in bringing him back. I can't imagine Gainey is so busy in dealing with the other free agents he can't talk to Tanguay.
thats how gainey does business...doesnt show interest....waits until july 1st for some reason (doesnt he know he can sign his own players before that date? I mean honestly....) and then July 1st comes around and he loses the player or overpays...

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Analyzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
You are aware that he had his best season in Colorado with noted All-Stars Ian Laperriere and Brent MacLean as linemates?

Just checking.
When Tanguay had 79 points in 69 games ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:05 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
NHE,

How will Havlat take only 4.5-5 million when he made 6 million this year and (finally) had a healthy year and career high points? I thing your estimate is way off.

Gaborik... I wouldnt give him more than one year deal, anything more is too risky, hes just not built for this game.

Samuelsson... thats really grasping straws. Are you aware hes 32-yo with career best of 45 pts. Just a spare part in Wings system, we already have players in his calibre.

I like Cammalleri too, and Gagne, but Halak and 2nd wont be enough for him, now that they have a goalie (and that would create another hole to patch for us). Besides isnt Briere who they are supposed to be shopping?
As I said numerous times, I really doubt there is a GM crazy enough in this league to take Briere's contract.. The guy is hugely overpaid, one of the worst contract post lock-out IMO.. The one who will be logically moved is Gagné..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Caekslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Too bad he doesn't have Sakic, Forsberg, and Hejduk to help him maintain that average.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Yea..too bad his career year came in Calgary not Colorado.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
[COLOR="rgb(46, 139, 87)"]You are aware that he had his best season in Colorado with noted All-Stars Ian Laperriere and Brent MacLean as linemates?

Just checking.[/COLOR]
pwnt.

Caekslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
If you listened to the original show, Bob Sauvé says "Bob Gainey told us that they have another priority and soon he will talk to the free agents"

You do not need a PhD to understand that the priority in question is the team being sold over the next days.
but it's a lot more fun to make conspiracy theory

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsoluteFate View Post
thats how gainey does business...doesnt show interest....waits until july 1st for some reason (doesnt he know he can sign his own players before that date? I mean honestly....) and then July 1st comes around and he loses the player or overpays...
Which one of our UFA's did he overpay after July 1st?? Quit pulling BS out of your rear end! Anyone he's ever wanted, he's signed them before July 1st (i.e. Markov).

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 08:30 PM
momotan

I listened to it, and he said 3 things

1) Tangay has no problem playing for Martin
2) The canadians have another priority that needs to be settled and then they will talk to the UFAs
3) They have not indicated whether they are interested or not yet

It's obviously the sale.

momotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Iwishihadacup

komisarek for sure

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:34 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
Which one of our UFA's did he overpay after July 1st?? Quit pulling BS out of your rear end! Anyone he's ever wanted, he's signed them before July 1st (i.e. Markov).
funny i didnt think it was my rear end that smelled

HabsoluteFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:44 PM
NHLfan

Reading between the lines

The team is about to be sold. What Gainey is saying, the sale must be completed before making the next moves like signing free agents.

NHLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 09:55 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLfan View Post
The team is about to be sold. What Gainey is saying, the sale must be completed before making the next moves like signing free agents.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but this may not be true.

Two years ago, Gainey used very similar language to explain to Sheldon Souray that signing Markov was his priority. The Souray clan never really felt the Habs were truly interested after that.

I honestly don't see how signing Tanguay could hurt the Habs ability to be sold. He doesn't have a Lecav-type contract and I sure hope Bob wouldn't gie him one.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:06 PM
CraigDarby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post

Two years ago, Gainey used very similar language to explain to Sheldon Souray that signing Markov was his priority. The Souray clan never really felt the Habs were truly interested after that.

I honestly don't see how signing Tanguay could hurt the Habs ability to be sold. He doesn't have a Lecav-type contract and I sure hope Bob wouldn't gie him one.
Your post is completely off. 1. As I and others have translated, Bob said that there was a more important priority to take care of before signing free-agents. He didn't single out Tanguay but rather all our upcoming UFA's and even RFA's. Given that we haven't signed anyone apart from that Swede, it's not like he's lying through his teeth. 2. I don't know how the Souray clan can perceive a long-term $5 million+ offer as a lack of interest, because we tried to sign him but Souray himself opted to go elsewhere despite a very generous contract offer.

CraigDarby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:14 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
When Tanguay had 79 points in 69 games ?
Yes, that one.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dripper View Post
My guess is it's Komi
I hope not...he is overrated and was exposed by a number of teams last year...let him walk and go and play on the Island in front of fifty fans a night

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
It's sounds like a rather undiplomatic slant when they write it like that. I have a hard time believing that Gainey himself would be quite so undiplomatic. I hope Tanguay doesn't take it with the same slant; I'd like to see him back for a full, healthy season. (And many more beyond).
When I first read the thread title, I immediately thought that the priority meant another player. But after reading the RDS article in question, I have no doubt that the other priority isn't player-personnel related. I'm not guessing that it has to do with the ownership.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post

Bursting who's bubble exactly? Several people who have actually heard the interview are reporting that it had nothing to do with UFA's, including the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momotan View Post
I listened to it, and he said 3 things

1) Tanguay has no problem playing for Martin
2) The Canadiens have another priority that needs to be settled and then they will talk to the UFAs
3) They have not indicated whether they are interested or not yet

It's obviously the sale.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2009, 10:48 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

More important priority IMHO: Prepare for the draft.

- See what kind of deal can be made to get a higher pick.
- See what kind of interest there is in some of our assets.
- etc...

Old
06-11-2009, 10:50 PM
CraigDarby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
More important priority IMHO: Prepare for the draft.

- See what kind of deal can be made to get a higher pick.
- See what kind of interest there is in some of our assets.
- etc...
That would leave us with 5 days to sign our UFA's and tender our RFA's.

CraigDarby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 12:38 AM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigDarby View Post
Not necessarily, if all the preparing for the draft is done say 1 week before it. Then Mr. Gainey could start discussing with our impending UFAs and RFAs ~2 week before July 1st. I don't think Mr. Gainey is a last minute kind of person, I just see finalizing the draft strategy more urgent than have long discussions with our 10 UFAs, specially if like the organization seem to communicate these days, the draft is a team effort.

Old
06-12-2009, 01:05 AM
Habmaster

I heart this board.

Habmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 01:32 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigDarby View Post
Giving our restricted free agents their tendering offers is just a formality to keep the rights. Their actual contracts can be worked during summer. Although we have dozen or so UFA's, there are propably only a handful of players that are in Bob's plans.

5 days should be enough, just hope that the Gainey has been given permission to start signing them, even if the sale drags on close to the deadline.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 01:59 AM
Ginu

In fact, this is positive for Tanguay. If it is the sale, then Tanguay is the 1st player Gainey wants signed.

EDIT: if it is another player, it's a trade because Gainey wants to analyze the new cap figures before he signs the UFAs.

Last edited by Ginu: 06-12-2009 at 02:14 AM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote