HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens have "another priority", then Tanguay

Old
06-12-2009, 03:02 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Yes, that one.
Maybe I'm missing something in your post, but Lapierrere wasn't on the team then. Mclean was in Chicago.

IIRC Drury and Tanguay played together and they had a veteran skilled player with them. I'm fairly sure that Hejduk and Sakic played together, so I am not sure who was with Drury and Tanguay.

Whomever said Tanguay had his best year in Calgary is weird.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 03:12 AM
LyricalLyricist

Dunno what it is, don't care, just get a move on.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 03:17 AM
holyhabs87

i am pretty sure hejduk sakic and tanguay was the #1 line

forsberg drury played together

deadmarsh..hinote changed wings

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Oh the speculation. I hate to waste board space by stating the obvious, but no contracts get inked until the captain, leader, and 14 year veteran gets his.

Fan disappointment over the team performance might lead us to mistake Koivu for a declining and disposable player, but he and Markov still hold keys to the city.

Tanguay will be a footnote in habs history , Koivu is one contract away from solidifying his elite, nay his legendary status with the Canadiens.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
Oh the speculation. I hate to waste board space by stating the obvious, but no contracts get inked until the captain, leader, and 14 year veteran gets his.

Fan disappointment over the team performance might lead us to mistake Koivu for a declining and disposable player, but he and Markov still hold keys to the city.

Tanguay will be a footnote in habs history , Koivu is one contract away from solidifying his elite, nay his legendary status with the Canadiens.
Wow, those glasses you have...

I personnaly think it is more important to put the focus on the BPA. And at this point, Koivu is fifth on my list.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:01 AM
j c petit
Locked-out

In the interview, Sauvé said that Gainey told him that the team has another priority to be addressed before dealing with UFA's or FA's. So it's either the sale of the team or he's working on a trade.

j c petit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:

WOW.....the way people overrate Koivu is just amazing!!!

I'm almost certain that Gainey's first priority isn't Koivu, his second priority might very well be Tanguay, but I doubt Koivu is the first priority. If it is.....then Gainey needs to go.

We have a definite need for a #1 center and/or a big superstar player winger...and if Gainey isn't focusing on signing one of those types of players, then his priorities are in the wrong place.

Koivu is good and all, but he isn't a #1 centerman anymore....actually I rate Plekanec ahead of him right now. Pleks can score, he's fast and he can set plays up. He is also a lot younger than Koivu.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by j c petit View Post
In the interview, Sauvé said that Gainey told him that the team has another priority to be addressed before dealing with UFA's or FA's. So it's either the sale of the team or he's working on a trade.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
Hard to blame them thinking that Koivu and Kovalev are Gods, they don't know better, not remembering the glory days when we did have true top end talent up front. Some here remember Roy, our last true Elite player...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:09 AM
Mue

Sounds like the sale of the team is holding up things for now.

As for UFA priorities - as long as Kovalev is not one of them I'll be happy.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Agreed.

Hard to blame them thinking that Koivu and Kovalev are Gods, they don't know better, not remembering the glory days when we did have true top end talent up front. Some here remember Roy, our last true Elite player...

Yeah thats right. Koivu and Kovalev are the best players we've had since Roy....and that isn't saying much to be honest. I personally think that Kovalev is one of the most talented players in the NHL, but he lacks hustle and sometimes lacks heart too. Koivu was never a star player...ever. He might have lead the team for a few years, but he never lead the to anything significant.

We need to get a couple of true superstar players and then re-sign guys like Kovalev and Koivu for depth if the price is right....if not, let them walk.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:21 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:

I think you have Koivu on a higher status than the Habs do, he isn't priority at this stage in his career...if in the Habs plans at all for the future.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Mue

Quote:
Yeah thats right. Koivu and Kovalev are the best players we've had since Roy....and that isn't saying much to be honest. I personally think that Kovalev is one of the most talented players in the NHL, but he lacks hustle and sometimes lacks heart too. Koivu was never a star player...ever. He might have lead the team for a few years, but he never lead the to anything significant.

We need to get a couple of true superstar players and then re-sign guys like Kovalev and Koivu for depth if the price is right....if not, let them walk.
Who are these 'true superstar' players and how do you propose the Habs get them?

Old
06-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

its either one of two things

either he is waiting for the sale of the team or Jaques Martin was the missing piece he was looking for in his barbershop quartet. I hear Martin has a great low barotone.

Only time will tell.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:27 AM
ScottFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Who are these 'true superstar' players and how do you propose the Habs get them?
That's what Big Bob gets payed for

ScottFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:

If Gainey thinks this way...he needs to get the **** out!

And i'm a huge Gainey fan

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Dripper

vCash: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
its either one of two things

either he is waiting for the sale of the team or Jaques Martin was the missing piece he was looking for in his barbershop quartet. I hear Martin has a great low barotone.

Only time will tell.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
At the risk of speaking out of turn here, at least one would need to be acquired through trade. Let's say we're successful in trading for a guy like Lecavalier... other UFA's will take notes and will be more inclined to signing here to play with him.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Habitants

Quote:

ummm Markov says Hi...

yes priority 1 is either Sale or trade.

But if they fail to sign Tanguay i will be sorely dissapointed!

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:41 AM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
At the risk of speaking out of turn here, at least one would need to be acquired through trade. Let's say we're successful in trading for a guy like Lecavalier... other UFA's will take notes and will be more inclined to signing here to play with him.

Well, that sounds simple enough - I guess Bob just hasn't tried that yet,

Old
06-12-2009, 09:47 AM
couz

I don't think its the sale of the team, because if it was the case he would have also held off signing a new coach too.

I mean Martin is part of the payroll and that didn't hold anything up.

Plus its not like Gainey is up against the cap, whoever buys the team knows we have to spend to the limit so Gainey has no constraints on payroll and he's told to proceed as business as usual.

Its a hockey deal that's the other priority.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:59 AM
DieHardHabs

Quote:

I'm almost certain that Gainey's first priority isn't Koivu, his second priority might very well be Tanguay, but I doubt Koivu is the first priority. If it is.....then Gainey needs to go.

We have a definite need for a #1 center and/or a big superstar player winger...and if Gainey isn't focusing on signing one of those types of players, then his priorities are in the wrong place.

Koivu is good and all, but he isn't a #1 centerman anymore....actually I rate Plekanec ahead of him right now. Pleks can score, he's fast and he can set plays up. He is also a lot younger than Koivu.
pleks blooows, everyone sayin koivu isnt a priority, well if he doesnt sign i have no hope for this team.. whos gunna lead this team? kovalev? haha u haaaave to be kidding me!! guy who plays every other game, takes nights off... for what 2 yrs... habs without koivu in thier line up.. no leadership... everyone on this board at the start of the year .. you were all praising koivu and tanguay together... yes he needs to be a second or third line center.. he will take the pay cut

DieHardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 10:00 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by j c petit View Post
I agree with you 100% that he's working on a BIG trade and not that it has to do with the sale of the team.

When he hired Martin and retooled the coaching staff the potential sale didn't deter him. I think he's going after a big name player via trade which will make signing his UFA's and FA's that much easier and cost effective. If he's bringing in a superstar it'll be much easier to ask UFA/FA's to take a home team discount in an effort to win. Plus with stars like Vinny, Heatley and a slew more of players that can be had, with more cap space then anyother team and a stable full of young prospects the time is now to build our contender! So unlike many posters who believe Gainey is "asleep" in his office, I know he's figuring out who he keeps, what he can get and how much it will cost to build his team for the Cup run.

In Gainey I trust!

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieHardHabs View Post
pleks blooows, everyone sayin koivu isnt a priority, well if he doesnt sign i have no hope for this team.. whos gunna lead this team? kovalev? haha u haaaave to be kidding me!! guy who plays every other game, takes nights off... for what 2 yrs... habs without koivu in thier line up.. no leadership... everyone on this board at the start of the year .. you were all praising koivu and tanguay together... yes he needs to be a second or third line center.. he will take the pay cut
lol hilarious...

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 10:26 AM
number 11

Quote:

Normally this is the way things work in the hockey world, however in Montreal and especially on this board where loyalty, hard work, class and leadership all take a backseat behind language issues, such is not the case.

Prepare yourselves for the 09-10 habs featuring first line centre Tomas Plekanec followed by second line phenom Max Lapierre.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 10:41 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Maybe I'm missing something in your post, but Lapierrere wasn't on the team then. Mclean was in Chicago.
Argh, no, it wasn't that year. I should know better than to just agree and not check. I meant the 05-06 season. 78 points in 71 games. It wasn't his best year ppg wise, but IIRC, it was his best year point-per-minute wise.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote