HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Daniel Briere (again)

Old
06-14-2009, 06:50 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Daniel Briere (again)

If philly makes changes do we want sister danielle for eg pleks?

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 07:32 AM
Schooner Guy

Why would we give the Flyers an asset to take on a horrific contract when the Cap could be goin down $10million before 2010-11? That's like assuming someone's debt at the beginning of a recession and giving them a car instead of the other way around. The Flyers are the ones who have to give up something in order for someone to take that mistake albatross contract off their hands.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 08:00 AM
Marksman

Briere didnt want to come here, so I wouldnt bother, especially if it costs some assets.

If we want a player like him how about making Cammalleri that kind of an offer, atleast hes younger.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 08:44 AM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
I would want more than Briere for Plekanec at their current salaries.

But i'm not completely against bringing Briere to Montreal if other possibilities dont works and we get him very cheap.

I couldnt care less about him making 10M a year, he's a 6.5M cap hit. I just read a thread on this board in which some people were ok with trading Latendresse for a 2nd and Rozsival 5M contract..... Briere at 6.5M might not be that bad afterall.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 09:03 AM
kovalost27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun View Post
I would want more than Briere for Plekanec at their current salaries.

But i'm not completely against bringing Briere to Montreal if other possibilities dont works and we get him very cheap.

I couldnt care less about him making 10M a year, he's a 6.5M cap hit. I just read a thread on this board in which some people were ok with trading Latendresse for a 2nd and Rozsival 5M contract..... Briere at 6.5M might not be that bad afterall.
The difference is is that the last thing Montreal needs is another soft guy on C. Montreal has three second line centers (Lang, Koivu and Plekanec). I think for the extra million, Montreal could pick up a big C for the first line.

Briere would've been good two years ago when Gainey was after him. Besides, he is too injury prone.

If you watched the NHL playoffs series of Montreal and Boston, Montreal did a really poor job at getting the puck out of the defensive zone. Rozsival would help that problem despite being overpaid.

I think I was the only person thinking that deal would be okay and I think its partially because I am sick of hearing people talk about Latendresse like the next John Leclair when he's more like the next Jan Bulis.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 09:59 AM
MoonlightGraham

If there's no other way we can get a talented center, then maybe. With the uncertainty going into this summer it seems like anything can happen.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I MIGHT take Briere IF we can't get Vinny at a reasonable price AND Phillie trades us their 1sdt rounder to take the bad contract off the books.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I wouldn't touch Briere if they gave him to us. Give me size and grit with the skills. No more Smurfs!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:15 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
You couldn't give that guy away.

No value.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:37 AM
wedge

him signing in philly is the best thing that could have happened to us. I'm not interested at all.

it could be interesting for the new owner as the biggest years of his contracts have already been paid, but still... no thanks, especially not for Pleks.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:42 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Of all of the possibilities like Vinny, Marleau, Havlat, etc Briere is the one I want by far the least. Only way I take him on is if we get a top notch prospect from them also for the future.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:45 AM
MTL-rules

Yes... if they throw in JVR... meaning it ain't gonna happen.

Briere chose Philly, let him rot there. And how glad am I he did... what a bad signing it would have been. I admit, I was wrong on this one.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:47 AM
la25ecoupe

Look man, remember Robert Lang? Bob is gonna pull out his hat an unexpected player.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Speaking of bad contracts, Briere made 'the list'. Interestingly enough, so did Lecavalier...

Bad Deals Handicap Clubs
Quote:
1. Wade Redden, Rangers: His six-year, $39-million contract would not have been unreasonable compensation for an in-his-prime Redden who – for a five-year period between 2001 and 2006 – was a cumulative plus-123, while playing 25 minutes or so per night. But Redden's play fell off dramatically in his final two years with the Senators and everyone imagined he'd be looking at a hefty pay cut, until Rangers' GM Glen Sather came along. Don't these guys scout any more?

2. Scott Gomez, Rangers: Gomez's annual salary-cap charge of $7.357-million is ninth-highest in the NHL – he will earn $8-million in each of the next two seasons, before the numbers drop off to $7.5-million, $5.5-million and $4.5-million in the final three years of the contract. The Rangers signed Gomez, who led the league in assists in ‘04, to act as a set-up man for Jaromir Jagr, but the two never found any chemistry – and there isn't a pure sniper on either the current roster or in the system that would help maximize what Gomez brings to the table.

3. Chris Drury, Rangers: About the only saving grace with Drury's contract is its term – five years, which means there are only three years remaining. A cap charge of $7.05-million, any team interested in Drury would pay him $8-million in each of the next two years and then $5-million in the final year, a lot to pay for a player that has never scored 70 points in the NHL and conveniently managed his one-and-only season above 30 goals in his contract year with the ‘07 Sabres.

4. Brian Campbell, Blackhawks: At least, GM Dale Tallon was honest with reporters on the conference call announcing Campbell's signing, noting that he overpaid and saying: “On July 1, you always overpay.” Did he ever. With an annual cap hit of $7.14-million for eight years, Campbell was, at best, a No. 3 on the Blackhawks behind Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook, and had they been able to predict Cam Barker's improvement, might have given Campbell a pass.

5. Shawn Horcoff, Oilers: His new six-year, $33-million contract is going to start next year with a $7-million payout, or what Iginla will earn with the Flames – too much in other words, for a player coming off a so-so 53 point season. Edmonton is paying him like a No. 1 centre – his cap number is higher that both Getzlaf's and Perry's – on contracts with similar terms. Presumably, Horcoff will get a chance to prove he is that under new coach Pat Quinn.

6. Daniel Briere, Flyers: The annual salary-cap hit is $6.5-million, but that's because the final two years of the eight-year, $52-million contract are cheap – $3-million and $2-million respectively. But any team interested in Briere's right would need to pay him $8-million and then three years at $7-million to get to that light at the end of the tunnel. Small and coming off abdominal surgery that limited him to 29 games, Briere will be difficult to move, and not just because he has a no-movement clause in his contract.

7. J.S. Giguere, Anaheim: With the emergence of Jonas Hiller, Giguere – a Cup winner in ‘06 – becomes superfluous in Anaheim; and if they could ever find a way of moving him, they might be able to hang on to Chris Pronger. Problem is, Giguere is the one player on the team with a no-movement contract – awarded by Burke for humanitarian reasons so the Gigueres could be close to the UCLA facility that treats his son, who was born with an eye disorder. Even if Giguere were to agree to the move, is there a market for a goaltender whose GAA jumped a full goal, year over year, who'll earn $6-million and $7-million respectively in the final two years of his deal.

8. Vincent Lecavalier, Tampa: Lecavalier differs from others on this list because he continues to play at an elite level, even last year when he was hampered all season by a bad wrist. The problem: An 11-year contract that kicks in on July 1, in which the first seven years pay him $10-million per season before steadily declining as it winds down (to $8.5, $4, $1.5 and $1-million). At 29, and with 10 full seasons under his belt, can Lecavalier deliver $10-million worth of production for the next seven years?

9. Ryan Smyth, Colorado: Smyth spurned the Oilers' 11th-hour contract entreaties back in the spring of ‘07 and found a willing buyer for his services in Colorado, who agreed to a five-year deal worth $31.25-million and an annual cap hit of $6.25-million. That's a lot to pay a heart-and-soul player who is not a true first liner. Three years remain on the deal at $6.5-million, $5.5-million and $4.5-million. With the Avalanche's fortunes declining, expect him to be an attractive commodity at next year's trading deadline if he is still performing well.

10. Ryan Malone, Tampa: Of interest because there was talk that Toronto might take on his contract in a possible swap for the second overall choice in the draft. Problem is, with a cap hit of $4.5-million and six years remaining at $4.25-million, it is a lot of money and term for a player with a career average of about 45 points per season.
Link

Last edited by Opus: 06-14-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:52 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

With his actually contract dwindling to 3 and 2 mil in the last 2 years, trading for Briere might not be a bad idea. If we get tired of him we can dump him to a small market team with decent return. Briere-Lang-Plekanec-Lapierre wouldn't be bad up the middle.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Briere + Van Riemsdyk for Plekanec!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:54 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Speaking of bad contracts, Briere made 'the list'. Interestingly enough, so did Lecavalier...

Bad Deals Handicap Clubs

Link
Will Komisarek make the list next year?

(Only if a New York team signs him )

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 11:50 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
I don't want him for free with that contract. He's a glorified special teams player. No thanks.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Pat

small, injury prone center who already turned his back on the Habs

do we need that?

NO THANKS

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 12:45 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Will Komisarek make the list next year?

(Only if a New York team signs him )
The Islanders will probably sign him to a 150-year contract.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 01:10 PM
Montreal Typical

With that cap crippling contract? No. He's not worth nearly as much as he makes and the length is a killer.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 01:35 PM
otto bond

Quote:
no, no ,no and did I say NOWhy would we do this?

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post

Bad Deals Handicap Clubs

Link
Funny that the top 3 are all from the Rangers. Also funny how Sather still has a job and how he thought giving this much money to these players was a good idea.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Funny that the top 3 are all from the Rangers. Also funny how Sather still has a job and how he thought giving this much money to these players was a good idea.
And the Rags are stuck with Avery now. With these handcuffing contracts, they better hope Lundqvist continues to shine.

Old
06-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
It is even worst...

They have already spent 42M and they have 7 RFA and 6 UFA.
The most expensive: Zherdev was at 3.25M with 2.5M cap hit and he is RFA.

Under contract they have Gomez, Drury, Naslund, Voros and Avery on offense. In defense they Rosival, Redden, Giradi and Staal...and of course Lundquist.

We should expect a few offer sheets in NY they have not enough money to pay all their players.
How much will be offered to Dubinsky and Callahan?
They can not match offer sheets.

They must exchange either Gomez, Drury or Redden...
May be Gainey can offer Higgins or Metropolit for Gomez.
Rangers got a gift from God when Naslund retired. They didn't deserve such a lucky break.