HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm/ott

Old
06-11-2009, 11:59 PM
sensens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I would say this is the most interesting reference point, seeing as how it was the most recent of the ones you mentioned.
Interesting, but also a deal done by a team under financial pressure, involving a player who had missed a significant amount of the previous season to injury, and after some prominent free agency signings had already taken place. The specific context of that move is in no way irrelevant to the return, much like uncertain contract situation and timing of the trade for Martin Havlat strongly affected the market for him. The same could be said of the Thornton and Richards trades, given that they happened mid-season. In many ways, the most reasonable comparable I see is the Pronger trade, because the timing and circumstances were far more similar, including the fact that both players had long-term contracts in place.

That said, I don't find the Visnovsky, O'Sullivan, 1st round pick offer to be out of line in terms of value - and it addresses several points of concern on the Senators' current roster, and provides some flexibility within the roster for some other possible moves to address scoring depth in particular.

sensens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 01:13 AM
Southern Oil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens View Post
Frolov is an impending UFA, Johnson is apparently a bit of a headache, and the Pronger deal to Anaheim (which I think is probably the most relevant comparable) fetched a young Lupul, Smid, and two 1st round picks. Are those returns really so different? I'll admit the Kings one sounds 'bigger', but factor in the lack of meaningful RFA years for both roster players, and I'm not sure the argument really holds.

At the end of the day, it's the Kings trading from their strength, to up the profile and top-line skill level of their team. The Oilers have strengths as well - but they're not going to close any deals for Heatley if they approach the situation like they're doing the Senators a favour by even considering a trade.
I won't argue with your reasoning re: LA. But to put up the Pronger deal as some kind of great return or a comparable deal (arguing like it was a good deal) is just crazy IMO. Us Oil fan have been complaining about that deal for the last 3 years. You say he got 2 1st round picks, but it's important to remember that one was conditional on the Ducks making the finals or winning it all. Lupul at the time was the only player with NHL experience. For contrast, lets say I offered:

- Gilbert
- Nash
- 2nd rounder in 2009
- 1st rounder in 2010
- conditional 1st in 2011 (if we win the Cup)

(BTW I don't know if that can be done or not, ie. 2011 1st - don't get hung up on the offer as I am terrible at this stuff - just trying to prove a point)

Would you like that deal? KLowe was a boob in that one - a deal that we are still trying to get over IMO. Bryan Murray is a better GM and will get back a couple of good pieces. But I am like some of the rest when I believe that most Ottawa fans will be disappointed by the return. You usually don't get good value on players with Heatley's capability. I do speak from experience as well as I have seen some good ones leave in my time as an Oil fan

Southern Oil is offline   Reply With Quote