HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Strait goes Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2009, 01:16 AM
  #26
Clarence Beeks
Registered User
 
Clarence Beeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: In the Deep South
Country: United States
Posts: 7,608
vCash: 500
Considering that he could have gone the free agency route, made more money, and had an easier route to the NHL, I think this says a lot about what he thinks of the opportunity to be part of the Penguins organization. Given all of what has been said in here it is pretty obvious that he isn't going to play in Pittsburgh next season, so whether he would have stayed or not he wouldn't have had a legitimate shot at the NHL until 2010-2011. He either thinks that the Penguins situation is bad and that he'll play right away or he thinks the Penguins situation is that good that he didn't want to go the free agent route and end up somewhere like Phoenix. I tend to think it was the latter, otherwise his decision doesn't make a lot of sense.

Clarence Beeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 02:21 AM
  #27
Fraction Jackson
Registered User
 
Fraction Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashJeffHockey19 View Post
With all the talk of similarities between Scuds and Strait, it's worth mentioning this. I praise Scuderi for the way he improved his puck handling skills. He used to be a pretty pathetic kid with the puck, just a few years ago. I have to say Strait is a much better puck handler at the same age and combined with his smarts for the game, this will make him a valuable commodity to have in our system. I'd give him a full year and if we're in need, again, of a defensively focused defenseman, I think he'll be the man for the job.
From what I remember his skating is a bit better than Scuds' is, or at least better than Scuds' was at his age. If I'm remembering right that means he could certainly be a solid 3rd pairing guy that won't hurt us.

Fraction Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 02:59 AM
  #28
CertifiedPublicGuin
Registered User
 
CertifiedPublicGuin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraction Jackson View Post
From what I remember his skating is a bit better than Scuds' is, or at least better than Scuds' was at his age. If I'm remembering right that means he could certainly be a solid 3rd pairing guy that won't hurt us.
That's primarily the reason I feel he'll be able to EVENTUALLY be able to take over for Scuderi, or at least play a similar role, to a similar level of effectiveness.

Strait has the skills, talent, and brain to play within his realm and be very good at it. What I like about Strait is he seems to possess all the qualities that make for a successful defenseman, this day and age. He's got a good head for the game, possesses some good leadership qualities, makes safe decisions, yet has the tools to work with, like good puck handling/distributing abilities, good skating, and a strong body. To continue with success, I feel the d-men are some of the most important components; they need to be able to skate with the best and move the puck crisply, accurately, and quickly, all while making the right decisions.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 07:30 AM
  #29
Proffessor G DIDDY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Beeks View Post
My first reaction was the same, but if he's a borderline guy in terms of being ready for the start of 2010-2011 he needs professional development time. I don't think he's the type of guy that is going to jump from BU to the NHL. It's probably a fair assessment that he's maximized his growth potential at BU.
True i've only seen him play twice but he was really solid on both occassion, in fact it even seemed a bit too comfortable for Strairt at times because he was very good defensively.

I definitely think he NEEDS the challenge of professional hockey and I think after a year or 2 with the Baby Pens he'll be ready for the NHL as a 2nd or 3rd line defender.

And to be honest i think he can easily become as good Scuderi in a much shorter time cause he's a more natural puck handler.


Last edited by Proffessor G DIDDY: 06-12-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Proffessor G DIDDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 07:40 AM
  #30
john g
Registered User
 
john g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Korbi
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,586
vCash: 500
for those that were around when he was drafted, you may remember this gem in his bio that was listed in pretty much all the draft guides:;

Quote:
according to a quote on his website on myspace.com he "wants to die with his work boots and wizard hat on"

john g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 07:41 AM
  #31
PenguinGuru*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sexburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okposofan21 View Post
very exciting. i had the chance to watch Brian at BU over the past three years.
Could you elaborate on his playing style for us?

If I remember the draft day reports he was considered to be a good all around player, in the Noah Welch mold. I would hope that he brings more toughness and fearlessness than Welch.

So what's the scoop? Shot-blocker? Skating? Hitter? Shot quality? Special teams play? Fighter? Puck movement? Intelligence? Does he hold the line well? Does he pinch well? Does he jump into the slot for chances? How are his crossovers? Does he walk the line? Does he attempt to skate it out of the zone or chip it all the time?

And most importantly, what NHL player does he remind you of the most.

PenguinGuru* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 07:42 AM
  #32
PenguinGuru*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sexburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by john g View Post
for those that were around when he was drafted, you may remember this gem in his bio that was listed in pretty much all the draft guides:;
now I just think he is awesome.

PenguinGuru* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 07:50 AM
  #33
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 44,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris the Blade View Post
Oh snap!

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:02 AM
  #34
Zoo
Registered User
 
Zoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,768
vCash: 500
Awesome news, lets hope he can make an impact at camp and push for a bottom 6 job role.

Zoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:18 AM
  #35
PenguinGuru*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sexburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 4,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Sweet mother of comedy.

PenguinGuru* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:42 AM
  #36
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
But I've never really liked Strait as a prospect so I guess it doesn't matter where he plays if it's not in the NHL.

I still hope he works out despite my projection of him...he seems like a good enough guy.
Yeah, he is a like it or hate it type of player. I think he is very much like a Rob Scuderi in the respect he is going to be in the minors for a good while. I think he will someday make it to the NHL because teams can always use bottom 6 defensemen who are defensively responsible.

Strait has better skating ability than Scuderi from what I have seen of him when he played for USDT. He's a thick kid who despite being 6'1 is pretty strong. He's positionally sound, and can definitely make a decent breakout pass. Now take what I say with a grain of salt because I saw him 3 years ago, but I can only imagine he got better. He has also captained basically every team he has ever been a part of. If he doesn't develop into an every day NHL'er, atleast you can count on his intangible factors - team leader and good locker room guy.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 09:46 AM
  #37
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I don't either, but I'm confident that the people that make the decisions know more than I do.

It's a good point that Parker brought up in the article.. If the Pens don't sign him this summer they risk losing him to free agency next August, so that might have had something to do with it.

I just wonder what kind of role he's going to play with the baby Pens. As I see it now he's behind Lovejoy, Engelland, and D'Aversa and that's just as far as guys currently under contract. I'm sure at least 1 minor-league vet will be added for NHL-depth purposes. He's probably equal to Alex Grant, and will be competing with him plus Bortuzzo and possibly Muzzin for playing time.
Not just those 3, but Bortuzzo, Mormina, Grant, Sneep?, Peluso?, Muzzin?, if we draft a guy in the first or second round...might be able to count them in there. There definitly won't be a lack of competition.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 10:00 AM
  #38
IHWR
The Chiropractor
 
IHWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Not just those 3, but Bortuzzo, Mormina, Grant, Sneep?, Peluso?, Muzzin?, if we draft a guy in the first or second round...might be able to count them in there. There definitly won't be a lack of competition.
Speaking of him...what's up with Muzzin? He needs to be re-signed correct?

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 10:06 AM
  #39
CertifiedPublicGuin
Registered User
 
CertifiedPublicGuin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Man, I spent about 3 minutes crackin up at this.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 10:09 AM
  #40
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u
 
HandshakeLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Praha, CZ
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 18,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashJeffHockey19 View Post
Man, I spent about 3 minutes crackin up at this.
That and the wizard quote.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 10:56 AM
  #41
CertifiedPublicGuin
Registered User
 
CertifiedPublicGuin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Speaking of him...what's up with Muzzin? He needs to be re-signed correct?
Wasn't he supposed to be retained by June 1st? Perhaps not, but regardless, I had a discussion on here not too long ago, concerning Muzzin. I was of the stance that Muzzin has not made the progression necessary to continue with the Pens organization. The other poster disagreed, of course, or else there'd have been no discussion.

I blame his lack of progression on his skating ability and puck handling/moving abilities. His skating is kind of sloppy, like a big kid who hadn't learned to use his body and looked rather uncoordinated. His backward skating looked 'comfortable', but his puck handling was non-existent and he tends to throw the puck a little too much, with little intent. My stance was that a kid with such little skill (but a decent mind for the game), might warrant being retained, but IMO doesn't have a legitimate future in the organization. Scuderi made extreme strides to become what he is today, but not everyone can do that. Most players that become effective defensemen in this league, especially for a team you want to contend year-in and year-out typically should have the skill set and tools to mold and build him into a serviceable player.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 11:00 AM
  #42
CertifiedPublicGuin
Registered User
 
CertifiedPublicGuin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Not just those 3, but Bortuzzo, Mormina, Grant, Sneep?, Peluso?, Muzzin?, if we draft a guy in the first or second round...might be able to count them in there. There definitly won't be a lack of competition.
To keep it short, I'm very excited for Alex Grant, based on the reasoning in my above-post. He's got a big body, which he doesn't use to his DEFENSIVE advantage at this moment, but he's got terrific skill and his positioning is coming along. I think he's got the framework and if the Pens are careful, they can fine-tune him to be a two-way defenseman, who can use his body to his advantage and be relied upon defensively more than he is now. AKA, they can alter his game to being a two-way defender, instead of offensive-minded, being we have a dearth of that genre in our system and ready/already playing bigtime minutes in the NHL (Gonch, Letang, Goligoski).

Just generally, I'm of the opinion you really need to be drafting kids that have the tools to play the game, but mold them into doing the job that you as a coach want them to do, to fit into the system. Great skating, puck skills, and a mind for the game can take you a long way towards success.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 11:04 AM
  #43
IHWR
The Chiropractor
 
IHWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WashJeffHockey19 View Post
Wasn't he supposed to be retained by June 1st? Perhaps not, but regardless, I had a discussion on here not too long ago, concerning Muzzin. I was of the stance that Muzzin has not made the progression necessary to continue with the Pens organization. The other poster disagreed, of course, or else there'd have been no discussion.

I blame his lack of progression on his skating ability and puck handling/moving abilities. His skating is kind of sloppy, like a big kid who hadn't learned to use his body and looked rather uncoordinated. His backward skating looked 'comfortable', but his puck handling was non-existent and he tends to throw the puck a little too much, with little intent. My stance was that a kid with such little skill (but a decent mind for the game), might warrant being retained, but IMO doesn't have a legitimate future in the organization. Scuderi made extreme strides to become what he is today, but not everyone can do that. Most players that become effective defensemen in this league, especially for a team you want to contend year-in and year-out typically should have the skill set and tools to mold and build him into a serviceable player.
Yeah, I never really liked the Muzzin pick. He's the type of defenseman that could've thrived pre-lockout, but the game is just too fast for him now. I always thought of him as a poor man's Orpik who'd struggle to keep the play in front of him.

So does he re-enter the draft?

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 11:11 AM
  #44
CertifiedPublicGuin
Registered User
 
CertifiedPublicGuin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Yeah, I never really liked the Muzzin pick. He's the type of defenseman that could've thrived pre-lockout, but the game is just too fast for him now. I always thought of him as a poor man's Orpik who'd struggle to keep the play in front of him.

So does he re-enter the draft?
I'm not sure when they had to retain his rights, if it's July 1st or June 1st, or maybe there's an extension provision or something, but if they failed to retain his rights, yea I believe he's heading back to the draft.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 03:10 PM
  #45
Fraction Jackson
Registered User
 
Fraction Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Yeah, he is a like it or hate it type of player. I think he is very much like a Rob Scuderi in the respect he is going to be in the minors for a good while. I think he will someday make it to the NHL because teams can always use bottom 6 defensemen who are defensively responsible.

Strait has better skating ability than Scuderi from what I have seen of him when he played for USDT. He's a thick kid who despite being 6'1 is pretty strong. He's positionally sound, and can definitely make a decent breakout pass. Now take what I say with a grain of salt because I saw him 3 years ago, but I can only imagine he got better. He has also captained basically every team he has ever been a part of. If he doesn't develop into an every day NHL'er, atleast you can count on his intangible factors - team leader and good locker room guy.
I've noticed that this is something the team has always valued in drafting. Kennedy and Letang also were captains at some point.

Would you say that Strait has more or less of a mean streak than Scuds? That's one of the things that has frustrated me sometimes about Scuds, Eaton, and Gill - they all have the strength to be more physical than they are, but they seem to lack the willingness to go and hit people when the situation calls for it. If Strait has that too, I'm pretty optimistic overall that we can use him eventually.

Fraction Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 03:18 PM
  #46
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Speaking of him...what's up with Muzzin? He needs to be re-signed correct?
Yeah, I do believe so. I haven't followed him much to be quite honest. Wasn't he the value pick? Drafted 1st overall in his OHL draft year, experienced back problems, but was said if he didn't he would have been a 1st round pick? It was him or Grant. I get the 2 stories mixed up.

I still have hope for him, but I am typically a guy who sticks by a prospect til the very end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraction Jackson View Post
I've noticed that this is something the team has always valued in drafting. Kennedy and Letang also were captains at some point.

Would you say that Strait has more or less of a mean streak than Scuds? That's one of the things that has frustrated me sometimes about Scuds, Eaton, and Gill - they all have the strength to be more physical than they are, but they seem to lack the willingness to go and hit people when the situation calls for it. If Strait has that too, I'm pretty optimistic overall that we can use him eventually.
I think he is Scuds. Take Scuderi and...that's Strait. Strait is obviously less polished, but I think he has some real ability to be a 5-6 guy. I think his max potential is a Brad Stuart, for lack of a better example. Doesn't hit a lot, but can play the body effectively, and you don't take a big gasp if he's back on an odd man rush.

Like I said, I saw him when he was an 18 year old, so my assessment may very well be off.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 03:27 PM
  #47
IHWR
The Chiropractor
 
IHWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,396
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Yeah, I do believe so. I haven't followed him much to be quite honest. Wasn't he the value pick? Drafted 1st overall in his OHL draft year, experienced back problems, but was said if he didn't he would have been a 1st round pick? It was him or Grant. I get the 2 stories mixed up.

I still have hope for him, but I am typically a guy who sticks by a prospect til the very end.
Yeah he had some nasty back problems early in his OHL career.

Here's a snippet I found on Hockey's Future (of all places )

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/jake_muzzin

Quote:
The Penguins did not sign Muzzin, so he will go back into the draft.
So there you go.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 03:31 PM
  #48
Fraction Jackson
Registered User
 
Fraction Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I think he is Scuds. Take Scuderi and...that's Strait. Strait is obviously less polished, but I think he has some real ability to be a 5-6 guy. I think his max potential is a Brad Stuart, for lack of a better example. Doesn't hit a lot, but can play the body effectively, and you don't take a big gasp if he's back on an odd man rush.

Like I said, I saw him when he was an 18 year old, so my assessment may very well be off.
I think if you ask anyone here, they'd take that.

Fraction Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 03:50 PM
  #49
eXile59
Shirts on.
 
eXile59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 16,355
vCash: 500
What about Sneep? He was picked way to early and now besides the little write up on here no one is talking about him. Is he looking like a NHLer or a bust?

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 04:16 PM
  #50
john g
Registered User
 
john g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Korbi
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,586
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraction Jackson View Post
I think if you ask anyone here, they'd take that.
Stuart at one time had some offensive potential though. He could be like Stuart without any offense Essentially he's Scuderi + Stuart's physicality, minus Stuart's offense.

john g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.