HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phoenix hockey possibilities if the Coyotes move...

Old
06-12-2009, 03:11 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

vCash: 500
Phoenix hockey possibilities if the Coyotes move...

Okay, this is a theoretical thread mostly to keep my glass half full while this travesty unfolds.

I think that it will be impossible for Jobing.com Arena to be without a hockey tenant for very long if the Coyotes leave. It's a purpose-built ice hockey arena and it simply makes no sense at all (and there's likely no money available) to rip the ice out and renovate it into a "standard" arena.

So, let's theorize about how the Valley can still have hockey around if the Coyotes leave - either this year or in a couple more.

The most likely scenario to me is that the CHL Sundogs move from Prescott. The Toyota Center in Prescott is a nice facility but it can't compete with the Job - and the additional eyeballs that the Job might draw to the CHL are certainly an attractive reason to move their operations.

Failing that, there's a possibility that an AHL team moves to Phoenix. Not sure how probable it is but again, it's better than nothing at all. The Job certainly would be the nicest arena in the bus leagues but a strong showing by fans for an AHL team might open the door to the return of the NHL down the road - moreso than a CHL or ECHL team would.

Beyond that, I'm wondering if the Job might not be able to attract some other hockey events - say, regional NCAA hockey tournaments or something like that. And with USA Basketball establishing operations in Phoenix, might not a western arm of USA hockey be a theoretical possibility?

Help me out here, folks. I'm trying to keep myself from slitting my wrists or, worse, moving to Toronto and some positive thinking and discussion would really help.

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 03:43 PM
omnimutant

Quote:
Beyond that, I'm wondering if the Job might not be able to attract some other hockey events
Would that All Star game we got screwed out of be out of the question? Like sorry we took your team, but heres an All Star game you were supposed to get but the lock out happened and took it away kind of Gesture. The Irony is it would sell out and be a slap in the face to all those that did not support the team and still believe Phoenix Cannot support Hockey.

omnimutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Geez I forgot about the All-Star game...man we've just been screwed every which way possible! I really hope Baum doesn't join the party!

Anyway, on topic...I'd hate to see the Sundogs move to Glendale. I know it sounds funny but I feel like the town of Prescott have embraced their team and it's not fair to take it away from them like that. This would be like a big girl losing weight and then dogging out on the guy who loved her when she was big just cause the good looking ****** who wouldn't give her the time of day before has now upgraded her to booty call status.

Last edited by Sinurgy: 06-12-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Sinurgy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 03:53 PM
GophersGoneWild
Was MN_Hockey_in_AZ

I wonder if Sarver still has the ownership rights to the Roadrunner name? If not, maybe get an AHL team here and call them the Roadrunners. I know the AHL consists of east coast/midwestern teams (the westernmost team is in San Antonio) but maybe the NHL would push them to add some western teams to help the partnership. If anything else, would be one more league to add the Phoenix Roadrunners name to:

Pacific Coast Hockey League
Western Hockey League
World Hockey Association
Central Professional Hockey League
Central Hockey League
Pacific Hockey League
International Hockey League
East Coast Hockey League

As far as the USA Hockey comment, their headquarters are already in Colorado Springs...

EDIT: I guess the AHL is adding a team in Abbotsford, BC next year just outside of Vancouver. Would make sense for the partnership with the NHL that more AHL teams are out west. How much sense does it make to have San Jose's AHL team be in Worcester, MA??

Last edited by GophersGoneWild: 06-12-2009 at 04:04 PM.
GophersGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 03:58 PM
AZCOYOT

I've got zero interest in minor league Hockey unless it's AHL.. having anything but an AHL team in the Job would be terrible

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 04:08 PM
Jake16

I've the Coyotes leave, I'm done. May even have trouble buying Center Ice. I just don't think I'm going to be able to sit there and watch the Hamilton whatever's play the Flames or Oilers - even if its just flipping channels. In that regard, the fact the NHL doesn't have a big presence on tv and other media in the US may be good. Out of sight out of mind.

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 04:34 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

I will not follow any minor league team. You can't count on players, their constantly being called up. Can't watch away games (reasonably), have no idea what the rest of the league will do, plus what an enormous waste of an 18000 seat arena for 4000 minor league hockey fans. Nope like Jake, I'm done!!! I will casually follow my old Hawks, and follow whatever team Doaner goes too. The team leave it demonstrates to me how inept the league is at managing this mess, they should have kicked Moyes out in Nov rather than keep that clown in charge, "to save face..."

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 04:48 PM
zz

Honestly, if the team moves, I don't see myself driving to WestGate for anything other than a kick-ass concert.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I have to imagine we at least end up with an AHL team. They bring it under the Arizona name instead of just Phoenix or Glendale.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 05:07 PM
zyllyx
STH Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
I will not follow any minor league team. You can't count on players, their constantly being called up. Can't watch away games (reasonably), have no idea what the rest of the league will do, plus what an enormous waste of an 18000 seat arena for 4000 minor league hockey fans.
I see where you're coming from. But unfortunately I'm addicted to hockey... and an AHL team in Glendale would still be easier to follow than an NHL team anywhere out of state. Hell, unless you have Center Ice how on earth are you going to be able to follow an NHL team outside of Phoenix if the Coyotes leave?

And in terms of the arena 4000 minor league hockey fans is a damn sight better than 0 hockey fans, dontcha think?

zyllyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 05:57 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyllyx View Post
I see where you're coming from. But unfortunately I'm addicted to hockey... and an AHL team in Glendale would still be easier to follow than an NHL team anywhere out of state. Hell, unless you have Center Ice how on earth are you going to be able to follow an NHL team outside of Phoenix if the Coyotes leave?

And in terms of the arena 4000 minor league hockey fans is a damn sight better than 0 hockey fans, dontcha think?
Tim's Toyota Center is a nice arena for a minor league team. The right size.

When the IHL Roadrunners were the only ice in town, they'd draw 8000-10000 on weekends, 3000-5000 on weeknights at VMC, and the place looked empty on weeknights. If it's got to be minor league, I'd rather a minor league team played in an arena with a capacity of 6000 which could create sellouts on weekends and a packed, fanatic atmosphere at games, than play to 1/3rd capacity at jobing and an empty funeral atmosphere.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 06:06 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Hockey_in_AZ View Post
I wonder if Sarver still has the ownership rights to the Roadrunner name? If not, maybe get an AHL team here and call them the Roadrunners. I know the AHL consists of east coast/midwestern teams (the westernmost team is in San Antonio) but maybe the NHL would push them to add some western teams to help the partnership. If anything else, would be one more league to add the Phoenix Roadrunners name to:

Pacific Coast Hockey League
Western Hockey League
World Hockey Association
Central Professional Hockey League
Central Hockey League
Pacific Hockey League
International Hockey League
East Coast Hockey League

As far as the USA Hockey comment, their headquarters are already in Colorado Springs...

EDIT: I guess the AHL is adding a team in Abbotsford, BC next year just outside of Vancouver. Would make sense for the partnership with the NHL that more AHL teams are out west. How much sense does it make to have San Jose's AHL team be in Worcester, MA??
The Edmonton Oilers own the Roadrunners name in the AHL and still have a suspended franchise.

Perhaps the Oilers might put a team in Phoenix.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 06:27 PM
yotesreign

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
The Edmonton Oilers own the Roadrunners name in the AHL and still have a suspended franchise.

Perhaps the Oilers might put a team in Phoenix.
That sounds familiar. I forget how they got the rights but I remember the IHL Roadrunners here went away and when the WCHL came here we couldn't get the Roadrunners name I think because it had been sold to Edmonton Oilers. So the Phoenix WCHL team became the Phoenix Mustangs and played at VMC. Not sure how the ECHL incarnation got the right to use the Roadrunners name...

For minor league hockey in Phoenix, AWA works. Er I mean US Airways Center. Just hang black curtains over the obstructed end and keep the upper deck closed like they did for RR games and keep the prices under $15 per game. But it will never be a substitute for NHL hockey, anymore than Arena Football is a substitute for NFL football.

yotesreign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 06:34 PM
yakko

If the Coyotes move, I'm pretty much SOL. I don't live in Phoenix to begin with, so I've had to subscribe to Center Ice just to keep up. There is no way I could really follow a minor league team. I can't imagine I could stomach turning into a Sharks fan. I may just have to wait and see how I feel, but I'm still hoping I won't have to do that.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 06:44 PM
AZCOYOT

I'll just join a mens league and watch The Flames on Center Ice..

Old
06-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Honestly, if the team moves, I don't see myself driving to WestGate for anything other than a kick-ass concert.
Same here, hell Westgate is pretty much the only time I ever go to the West side period. That's not a slam on the West side, I just don't have any other reason to go over there is all. This past year I was out there probably 20 times and all but 1 was hockey related. Most of the time it was to go to the game but I can admit being a big enough hockey dork that I went out a few times just to grab dinner out there and be part of the game atmosphere even though I didn't have tickets.

Last edited by Sinurgy: 06-12-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Sinurgy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 07:02 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

I bought my home on the frickin' west side to be closer to the team and the Arena. I'm suing Moyes for this...Now I'm stuck in home that I am underwater in (can afford), without my beloved team and even further away from the "tallent" that Scottsdale has to offer.

Old
06-12-2009, 07:22 PM
AZCOYOT

Dude, I'm moving to Surprise in 2 weeks after a year of planning.. now this.. my Bday is also June 29th so if the team is gonzo. I'll be pretty pissed.

Definitely an ENORMOUS void left in the WV if the team moved

Old
06-13-2009, 12:35 AM
CoyoteUgly

i do miss Hell's Half Acre

CoyoteUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 01:38 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
I don't think anything short of an NHL franchise would be even remotely successful in Glendale...PHX residents are having a tough time going out there for professional games....minor league games will not fair well at all. I know die hard hockey fans would go but anything less than the NHL in Phoenix is not going to work IMO.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 01:40 AM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
But no more $10 beers thinking I was just doing my part to help the team.

Old
06-13-2009, 01:43 AM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteUgly View Post
i do miss Hell's Half Acre
Did it close?

Old
06-13-2009, 01:53 AM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

On the AHL point... I've always imagined following an AHL team provides you with a gateway to follow another team. Let's say the Av's put their team in the Job... you're following the players you like both in Phoenix and Colorado. But other than the AHL... The CHL has talked about putting a team in Buckeye, that could be changed. A new ECHL team, maybe?

In terms of replacement tenants of all sorts... what about the Rattlers?

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 01:53 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake16 View Post
Did it close?
no in fact it was cited in an article in the Rep today about how bars are offering deals in the economic times.

Old
06-13-2009, 10:24 AM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake16 View Post
But no more $10 beers thinking I was just doing my part to help the team.
I'll buy the $ 10 beer and do my part to help the broke city of Glendale...

zz is offline   Reply With Quote