HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers Agree to One-Year Contract with Ray Emery

Old
06-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Flyers Agree to One-Year Contract with Ray Emery

Mod edit, June 10 (concurrent with the signing)

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app?artic...e&service=page
Quote:

The Philadelphia Flyers announced that they have agreed to terms on a one-year contract with 62, 196-pound goaltender Ray Emery, according to club general manager Paul Holmgren. Per club policy, financial terms were not disclosed.

We are extremely excited and happy to have entered into this agreement with Ray, said Holmgren. We believe Ray is a good, young goalie that has a unique blend of size, competitiveness and athleticism.

Im excited to be able to get a chance to play with a team thats a contender and Im grateful for the opportunity thats being given, said Emery. I think I have the ability to play consistent. Im athletic, but I try to rely on a system and make things as simple as possible.

Emery, 26, appeared in 36 regular season games with Atlant Mytischi of the Kontinental Hockey League in 2008-09, where he posted a 22-8-0 record with a 2.12 goals-against average and .926 save percentage. He also registered a 3-3 record with a 1.86 GAA and .941 save percentage in seven postseason appearances

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-10-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
If true, this is rather exciting news.

Should be a hell of a ride.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

I just got an email alert from the Flyers saying the same thing...

Edit: Actually, the email just said there was going to be an announcement. I thought they couldn't officially announce anything with Emery until July 1st?

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post

Edit: Actually, the email just said there was going to be an announcement. I thought they couldn't officially announce anything with Emery until July 1st?
I'm sure this thread will get merged, but apparently they can announce the agreement but they can't sign the contract until July 1st - this was clarified by the NHL head office.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post

Apparently they can announce it but they can't actually sign the deal until then. I don't know the exact circumstances as to why, I just know that's how it is. Maybe someone more educated on the subject can help out with the specifics.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:54 PM
turkinaa

http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=425162

Says the same thing. I hope its not a conference to say the Emery rumors are correct. That would be a downer to tell us what we already probably know, plus I find Homer's credibility to be wearing thing. I want bigger, better news.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkinaa View Post
http://flyers.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=425162

Says the same thing. I hope its not a conference to say the Emery rumors are correct. That would be a downer to tell us what we already probably know, plus I find Homer's credibility to be wearing thing. I want big, better news.
While it's nice to see more people finally hopping on this train of thought part of me dislikes it taking so damned long.

Old
06-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I'm sure this thread will get merged, but apparently they can announce the agreement but they can't sign the contract until July 1st - this was clarified by the NHL head office.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
Apparently they can announce it but they can't actually sign the deal until then. I don't know the exact circumstances as to why, I just know that's how it is. Maybe someone more educated on the subject can help out with the specifics.
Thanks!

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:01 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
It cannot be officially announced because you can't sign a free agent until July 1st.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:02 PM
DickTony

I can't believe Homer is putting his job on the line for this guy. Here goes nothing, I guess. What's the worst that can happen? Another season of ****** goaltending? I've watched almost 21 years worth of it.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
According to today's Inky Carchidi article -- and I must admit that in most cases I don't hang my hat on his info... however this has the ring of truth -- since he was playing in Russia it can be announced, (as opposed to the players currently under NHL contract)... IIRC, he has a clause releasing him if he has an NHL deal.

That makes sense since a player under a contract cannot and must not be tampered with (officially) under the current NHL/NHLPA CBA.

Old
06-09-2009, 04:09 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
It cannot be officially announced because you can't sign a free agent until July 1st.
Are they not allowed to announce a deal is in place? (serious question, not being a dick)

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
Yes, it most certainly can.

They just just officially sign him until July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker912 View Post
Are they not allowed to announce a deal is in place? (serious question, not being a dick)
Yes, they are.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonMTG View Post
I can't believe Homer is putting his job on the line for this guy. Here goes nothing, I guess. What's the worst that can happen? Another season of ****** goaltending? I've watched almost 21 years worth of it.
But but...we can win with an average goaltender!!! We gotta get lucky one of these times.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:11 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Sigh, don't know if I'll even bother to watch.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:13 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
hopefully they'll have a press conference on july 2nd to announce the signing of JBO!

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:16 PM
kicksave27

If they wanted some first hand knowledge of emery, you have his former coach during that whole debacle, paddock with the phantoms, i'm sure they got some input from him on the matter. You can win with emery if you use the money you save, along with moving lupes and jones and get 2 real solid Dmen. I like oduya, and a vet to hold things down with coburn. J-bo while splashy just causes crazy cap problems down the road, ie the ducks loosing their young guys with almost 13mil going to pronger/neidermeyer, but did get them the Cup..

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:16 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Damn. I hope Emery's tenure with the Flyers is a pleasant surprise. My expectations are mighty low, though.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:18 PM
DickTony

The only way I will celebrate this annoucement is if Homer also announces he's signed Brian Boucher as our back up.

EMERYBOOSH09!

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
The Cap Era has made GMs do strange things as they learn how to manage it, as well as how to rectify past mistakes... at least on a temporary basis. Homer in his retooling and quick elevating the team from the abyss dug a dangerous hole -- not that all of it was in that initial retooling ((((coughLUPULcough)))) -- I have no doubt that the one year goalie bargain basement plug is a stopgap measure to ride out the worst stretch of Cap Hell.

As long as Emery does not adversely effect the team for years to come, I can live with giving him a shot... I really doubt it is all due to Homer's MO of giving people a second chance, as he was afforded.

Old
06-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Lab Monkey

As long as it doesn't involve Heatley I am happy

Lab Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Terence Peterman

Quote:
His job isn't specifically on the line over Emery. He's been testing the shine on his armor ever since his first few months as GM were past.

Old
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Damn. I hope Emery's tenure with the Flyers is a pleasant surprise. My expectations are mighty low, though.
Yeah, I guess we can't be disappointed if we don't expect anything positive in the first place.

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:22 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Monkey View Post
As long as it doesn't involve Heatley I am happy
I'd take Lupul and Carle for Heatley

Salaries equal out

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
As much as I loved Clarke, I hated his habit of taking on 'projects' with high-end possibilities -- Daigle, Falloon, Brendl, Yada yada yada -- Homer seems to have picked up a similar philosophy... Sigh.