HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I am in Hell

Old
06-13-2009, 05:02 PM
FlyHigh

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I don't feel like having this argument for the umpteenth time, I just don't.

However, the Flyers were severely outplayed in the 1st period, I said after the period that being 2-0 up was the worst possible scenario because they had played like ass.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 05:07 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
It's always fun getting trashtalked by the Pens fans with the 2008 and 2009 join dates.

1 year ago..."wow, we have a team that's really good, let me sign up on a forum and be a troll!"

Happened multiple times too with this particular guy...
I dont understand how when they foind a message board affects when they became fans. I didnt find this board until 2007, but I was a fan of the Senators since day 1.

And dont knock a championship team for having bandwagon fans. It happens EVERYWHERE. Thats how new fans are created. I guarantee you it happened when Philly won their cups.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 05:09 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman33 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. It better come back that his leg is fractured or has a torn ligament. I can understand that the adrenaline from winning the cup allows you to skate around with it, and I did notice that he never really made it to the pile up at the horn, but still...its game 7, a one goal led with under 5 minutes to go and you are "the best player in the game". If that doesn't give you enough adrenaline to over come the pain and play, then you sure as hell shouldn't be able to skate around with the cup. I hope Babcock's comment to sid about "thats great leadership" at the end was supposed to be taken as sarcastic. This is Malkin's cup. Sid had 3 points in the 7 game final and sat on the bench with an injured leg for the last two periods of it. God I hate that guy.
Takes a hell of a lot to know you are arguably the best player alive, and your team is only up 1 goal in the most important game of your life, and to realize that it is better for the team that you sit down.

I would think those few minutes were by far the hardest of his career, and it says a lot about him as a young captain. It would have been far easier to say "Im ok coach, put me out" and then have gone out there and screwed it up for his team.

Old
06-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
I dont understand how when they foind a message board affects when they became fans. I didnt find this board until 2007, but I was a fan of the Senators since day 1.
The correct analogy would be this:

1. Senators suck. You're nowhere to be found.

2. Senators draft Crosby/Malkin and start seeing success.

3. You magically appear and start trolling.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 05:20 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:

And dont knock a championship team for having bandwagon fans. It happens EVERYWHERE. Thats how new fans are created. I guarantee you it happened when Philly won their cups.
I find it more than coincidental that most of the Pens trolls all have the 2007-2008-2009 join dates, of course these could all be diehard Pens fans for the past 20 years who happened to find this board in 2008, but I'm skeptical.

And every team has its bandwagoners, but Pens are worst than most.

Their attendance in 03-04 was less than 12,000 (Mellon has a capacity of around 17,000 I believe), so that's around 66%, even ATL and FLA draw around 80% now.

Note that their excuse was, "Mellon Arena is so old", but now it's "we love Mellon Arena, it has an awesome atmosphere."

Flyers had one of the worst teams of the past 10 years in 06-07 and still had attendance of 98.9%.

Old
06-13-2009, 05:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't feel like having this argument for the umpteenth time, I just don't.

However, the Flyers were severely outplayed in the 1st period, I said after the period that being 2-0 up was the worst possible scenario because they had played like ass.
And then they went up 3-0 on a power play goal, they couldn't have been too distraught over having a 2-0 lead. The Penguins routinely found ways to get the result despite being outplayed.

It's not about killing one guy in this case. It's that when the Flyers sit around all summer and they wonder 'what happened in Game 6' they're going to replay in their heads when the whole thing started going south, and that was when a dumb player got in a dumb fight less than 10 seconds after scoring a goal to go up 3-0. The rest of that game for the Flyers should have been as boring as possible. The game for all intents and purposes should have been over. And it wasn't like Carcillo was going out just to get in a fight, when you watch his demeanor before the fight, he looks like he was doing what he honestly thought was the right thing to do -- this is what I'm talking about when I rant and rave about dumb players since the names of dumb hockey players on the Stanley Cup are few and far between. If you want me to blame other guys, I blame other guys. If I was the coach, I wouldn't have even put him on the ice in that situation to begin with. It was likely clockwork by Bylsma to put out Talbot after that.

There's a reason Talbot was showing up the crowd after getting beat down like that, it's extremely rare someone even has the gall to do that, he obviously knew what was going on, as did the announcers, and so should have the Flyers, but all 20 of them and all 3 coaches were oblivious to it all, hence why we shouldn't even be considered on the same level as the Penguins yet (I don't think anyone is right now)

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 05:27 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
I find it more than coincidental that most of the Pens trolls all have the 2007-2008-2009 join dates, of course these could all be diehard Pens fans for the past 20 years who happened to find this board in 2008, but I'm skeptical.

And every team has its bandwagoners, but Pens are worst than most.

Their attendance in 03-04 was less than 12,000 (Mellon has a capacity of around 17,000 I believe), so that's around 66%, even ATL and FLA draw around 80% now.

Note that their excuse was, "Mellon Arena is so old", but now it's "we love Mellon Arena, it has an awesome atmosphere."

Flyers had one of the worst teams of the past 10 years in 06-07 and still had attendance of 98.9%.
Continued poor performance leads to bad attendance in any market. One bad year usually doesnt. This can even be seen in Ottawa. Hell, outside of the last few years, this trend was even visible in Montreal and Toronto.

I think you just see the bandwagoners more with the Pens because they hit the jackpot. No matter how much you hate them, that team has a plethora of young EXTREME talent. That will bring in more of the douches. Doesnt mean the fanbase is all bandwagoners though.

Old
06-13-2009, 05:36 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Continued poor performance leads to bad attendance in any market. One bad year usually doesnt. This can even be seen in Ottawa. Hell, outside of the last few years, this trend was even visible in Montreal and Toronto.

I think you just see the bandwagoners more with the Pens because they hit the jackpot. No matter how much you hate them, that team has a plethora of young EXTREME talent. That will bring in more of the douches. Doesnt mean the fanbase is all bandwagoners though.
3 years of bad performance and they won a Cup in 1991, 13 years ago at the time, that's not really a cold streak, tell that to the Flyers fans who consistently show up even though this team hasn't won jack for 34 years.

I don't think Pitt is a very good hockey town, nobody is going to care about that team when they're losing, like I said, 66% is just astronomically low, regardless of how the team is doing. ATL drew 78% this past year.

Old
06-13-2009, 05:38 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

I had a softball game during game #7 so I didn't see a minute of the game and have managed to avoid all the Stanley Cup trophy highlights.

A bit of a cop out I know, but that's how I'm deadling with it.

To all the diehard Pens fans: Congrats, a game 7 cup victory is truly something special

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Continued poor performance leads to bad attendance in any market. One bad year usually doesnt.
Please.

In Pittsburgh, one bad week leads to bad attendance.

When they slumped to 10th the middle of the season, their home attendance percentage slipped to sub-20th in the league.

That city is a lightweight hockey market that hemorrhages money if the team is .500 or below. They're one or two lackluster seasons away from reigniting the Kansas City rumors.

Old
06-13-2009, 05:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Pittsburgh is as much of a hockey town as Philadelphia is a baseball town. Which is why I typically frown on the debates on 'how good are your fans' debates on here. Moreover, we're a much larger market, about twice the size if not more. There was more people here willing to see a bad product 2 years ago. Is the attendance percentages proportionate to the size of the market?

However, the generational young talent they have is doing exactly what it's intended and marketed to do...bring in interest, bring in fans. Nationwide.

Old
06-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Pittsburgh is as much of a hockey town as Philadelphia is a baseball town.
This sounds about right to me.

Old
06-13-2009, 05:46 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Pittsburgh is as much of a hockey town as Philadelphia is a baseball town. Which is why I typically frown on the debates on 'how good are your fans' debates on here.

However, the generational young talent they have is doing exactly what it's intended and marketed to do...bring in interest, bring in fans. Nationwide.
I don't think anyone is going to argue hard that Philly is a baseball or basketball town though.

Football and hockey are 1 and 2, I think you can explain the frenzy over the Phillies due to the fact that we'd been 25 years without a championship, but I don't think anyone who's ever been to the vet during the late 90s and early 2000s would call Philly a baseball town.

Old
06-13-2009, 05:47 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Please.

In Pittsburgh, one bad week leads to bad attendance.

When they slumped to 10th the middle of the season, their home attendance percentage slipped to sub-20th in the league.

That city is a lightweight hockey market that hemorrhages money if the team is .500 or below. They're one or two lackluster seasons away from reigniting the Kansas City rumors.
I know you guys don't want to hear from me, but I have no idea where you pulled this from. The Mellon has been sold out every single game since early 2007.

bathroomSTAAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 05:51 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razumikhin View Post
I know you guys don't want to hear from me, but I have no idea where you pulled this from. The Mellon has been sold out every single game since early 2007.
Wow, so to get this straight, when Pittsburgh had two of the 3 best young stars in the game, Pitt fans showed up!??!?!

Wow, just astounding fan loyalty there. I mean hell, I'm sure that if fans of other teams had an opportunity to see those two, they wouldn't show up right?

EDIT: I would also love to hear justification for the KC rumors as well. Not trying to be too hostile, but Pitt fans portraying their town as a hockey town is just ridiculous. Football? Pitt is awesome, the Steelers have one of the 5 best sets of fans in the game. Hockey? No way.

Old
06-13-2009, 05:51 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
I don't think anyone is going to argue hard that Philly is a baseball or basketball town though.

Football and hockey are 1 and 2, I think you can explain the frenzy over the Phillies due to the fact that we'd been 25 years without a championship, but I don't think anyone who's ever been to the vet during the late 90s and early 2000s would call Philly a baseball town.
Believe it or not, on WIP last week the question was brought up on whether or not the Phillies have overtaken the Eagles and made this a baseball town. I kid you not. That is just ridiculous.

Old
06-13-2009, 05:53 PM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Wow, so to get this straight, when Pittsburgh had two of the 3 best young stars in the game, Pitt fans showed up!??!?!

Wow, just astounding fan loyalty there. I mean hell, I'm sure that if fans of other teams had an opportunity to see those two, they wouldn't show up right?

EDIT: I would also love to hear justification for the KC rumors as well. Not trying to be too hostile, but Pitt fans portraying their town as a hockey town is just ridiculous. Football? Pitt is awesome, the Steelers have one of the 5 best sets of fans in the game. Hockey? No way.
Scarfo completely made up a statistic. All I did was refute it, i said nothing about the quality of the fanbase. I obviously shouldn't be here so I'll just leave it at that.

bathroomSTAAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 05:54 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Believe it or not, on WIP last week the question was brought up on whether or not the Phillies have overtaken the Eagles and made this a baseball town. I kid you not. That is just ridiculous.
Well, there you go.

I should amend my statement to say that anyone with a brain knows that Philly isn't a baseball town.

Old
06-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Attendance is not the same as ticket sales.

(Subsequently, you can see how this is not exclusively the fault of the fans.)

Quote:
Scarfo completely made up a statistic. All I did was refute it, i said nothing about the quality of the fanbase. I obviously shouldn't be here so I'll just leave it at that.
No need to leave. It's refreshing to see a Pens fan that's not trolling. (I know that I would be)

Old
06-13-2009, 05:55 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Fair enough, I will point out that with all due respect, Scarfo can sometimes go a little overboard on things.

I don't think anyone denies that Pitt fans haven't shown up the past 2-3 years, but I think their fanbase is extremely inconsistent.

Old
06-13-2009, 05:55 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

What's the attendance at arguably the best stadiuim in the MLB (PNC Park)? Seriously, I want to know...it's next on my list.

CNote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 05:59 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNote View Post
What's the attendance at arguably the best stadiuim in the MLB (PNC Park)? Seriously, I want to know...it's next on my list.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/attend...9&seasonType=2

43.4%, I don't blame them for that though, the Pirates have literally been in the basement for the last 30 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Well he was challenging a point that was made that the Penguins dipped to 20th in attendance when they've sold out like 118 straight games or something like that. I had that debate with them on their board then the Penguins were bad, and they never denied the bad attendance they had earlier in the decade.
Well, I'm not going to attack another poster (especially in front of a mod), but I don't think that claim was very intelligent.

I dunno, some Pitt fans on here are pretty decent (I've had some good conversations with ASF-something and Letang58), but I hate seeing their fans in their rink and hear the NBC guys talking about the "long-suffering Penguin fans."

It also doesn't help living in Boston where I feel like I'm surrounded by these bandwagon idiots too.

Old
06-13-2009, 06:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Attendance is not the same as ticket sales.

(Subsequently, you can see how this is not exclusively the fault of the fans.)
Well yeah, sometimes they're inflated.

FlyHigh said earlier on that the Flyers ran at 98% attendance in 2006-07. I can say with confidence, since I went to 37 of the 41 home games, that there is no way that's a true number. Particularly when it got to over 2 months without a win at home.

Old
06-13-2009, 06:05 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Well yeah, sometimes they're inflated.

FlyHigh said earlier on that the Flyers ran at 98% attendance in 2006-07. I can say with confidence, since I went to 37 of the 41 home games, that there is no way that's a true number. Particularly when it got to over 2 months without a win at home.
Yeah maybe 98% is high, but I think they filled that place up pretty good.

And obviously stuff like this isn't 100%, but if you look at our attendance figures on Flyershistory during the barren 90s years, 90-91 and etc., they're very solid.

Old
06-13-2009, 06:12 PM
mdm815

This is Fleury's cup. I hate the Penguins but as a fan of hockey i can say I respected his performances, and hate him a little bit less then the rest of them. There was not one player who came anywhere close to being as important as he was to the Pens in this playoffs. Should've got the Conn Smythe, b.c w/out him they're not making out of the first round. I thought that was a real slap in the face.

mdm815 is offline   Reply With Quote