HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Chad Kilger...

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2004, 08:34 PM
leafaholix*

vCash: 500
Chad Kilger...

... he played well.

What a great skater.

Old
03-25-2004, 08:36 PM
Raging Bull

He's big and physical. Good checking foward with speed.

Old
03-25-2004, 08:41 PM
leafaholix*

He was physical... apparentely that's not true every night.

Old
03-25-2004, 08:41 PM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Worth another look. Domi can sit in favor of Stajan on Saturday.

Old
03-25-2004, 08:46 PM
richardn

Played good tonight. Chad was very highly touted in Montreal. Has the tools to be similar to power forwards like Bertuzzi or Gratton. He is fast, strong, Big, physical and has a very hard shot. He just has never been able to put it all together for more then a hand full of games. I would not count on any thing big from him this year. I think we got him for next year. He is a project player like Jackman was. I hope we can be patient with him.

Old
03-25-2004, 08:47 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
Played good tonight. Chad was very highly touted in Montreal. Has the tools to be similar to power forwards like Bertuzzi or Gratton. He is fast, strong, Big, physical and has a very hard shot. He just has never been able to put it all together for more then a hand full of games. I would not count on any thing big from him this year. I think we got him for next year. He is a project player like Jackman was. I hope we can be patient with him.

Big difference between Bertuzzi and Gratton. Which one you mean?

Old
03-25-2004, 08:47 PM
Savage

Send a message via AIM to Savage Send a message via MSN to Savage
He played a decent game but as history would dictate with Kilger, it's only one game. When he gets a string of good games going, which isn't likely this season because of guys coming back from injury for the playoffs, then I think we can give him a fair evaluation. He did impress me though in both ends of the ice.

Old
03-25-2004, 08:52 PM
richardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ
Big difference between Bertuzzi and Gratton. Which one you mean?
Gratton is similar to Bertuzzi, Gratton just never put it all together. Gratton is very skilled, very big and physical. He just seems to lack the intensity and passion that Bertuzzi has. Kilger fits more in the Gratton class right now. But it would not surprise me if Kilger some where down the road put up Bertuzzi like numbers. Bertuzzi was slow to develop as well.

Old
03-25-2004, 08:52 PM
Wasp

He looked great tonight. Hard skater, great forechecker, and was hitting and creating chances. The only thing that needs work are his passes and stick handling, however he still played well. Looked great on a line with Nolan/Francis, possible medium-term replacement until Tucker gets back?

I have fallen in love with the Leafs wealth of depth at forward. With Tucker AND Renberg out AND sitting Stajan, we still managed to field 4 solid lines.

On another note Kaberle looked better tonight but still shaky, LOVED Johansson with him and Berg/Marchement looked solid. Quinn has the lines figured out, just sub Reichel with Stajan every couple games and we have a good lineup.

Old
03-25-2004, 08:56 PM
leafaholix*

If he can play 8-10:00 a game and on the PK, he'll be a great pickup.

So far, every single acquisition's been good.

Leetch, Johansson, Francis, Kilger (only 1 game), Nieuwendyk, Klee, and even Berehowsky... that's considering what we gave up for him... nothing.

Old
03-25-2004, 08:58 PM
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
He looked great tonight. Hard skater, great forechecker, and was hitting and creating chances. The only thing that needs work are his passes and stick handling, however he still played well. Looked great on a line with Nolan/Francis, possible medium-term replacement until Tucker gets back?

I have fallen in love with the Leafs wealth of depth at forward. With Tucker AND Renberg out AND sitting Stajan, we still managed to field 4 solid lines.

On another note Kaberle looked better tonight but still shaky, LOVED Johansson with him and Berg/Marchement looked solid. Quinn has the lines figured out, just sub Reichel with Stajan every couple games and we have a good lineup.
Kaberle had the bad giveaway tonight but that's to be expected with the game he plays. One thing that I was really impressed with tonight and he should get credit for was his willingness to take the big hit to make the play, something he never does. If he can keep that up he'll become much better defensively.

Old
03-25-2004, 09:01 PM
Wasp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Kaberle had the bad giveaway tonight but that's to be expected with the game he plays. One thing that I was really impressed with tonight and he should get credit for was his willingness to take the big hit to make the play, something he never does. If he can keep that up he'll become much better defensively.
He was also shooting more. I was a bit hard on him for his two givaways in a row, however that is to be expected. It seemed to stand out because the Leafs barely gave it away in our zone at all tonight, so when they did it looked out of place. Kudos to Kaberle (coined a new phrase?) for recovering from his Tampa nightmare.

Old
03-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp
He was also shooting more. I was a bit hard on him for his two givaways in a row, however that is to be expected. It seemed to stand out because the Leafs barely gave it away in our zone at all tonight, so when they did it looked out of place. Kudos to Kaberle (coined a new phrase?) for recovering from his Tampa nightmare.
The Tampa game wasn't a nightmare, it was the reality version of a nightmare

Old
03-25-2004, 09:33 PM
albathegreat*

I dont think he will play when Tucker gets back, that still means Stajan will be sitting.. :mad:

Im sure maybe they will rotate Kilger and Stajan until he gets back then makeup a new rotation.

Old
03-25-2004, 09:43 PM
ComrieFanatic

i would love to see a Kilger, Nolan and Tucker line. Look at the scoring touch and checking ability. Would make other teams very scared!!

Old
03-25-2004, 09:50 PM
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComrieFanatic
i would love to see a Kilger, Nolan and Tucker line. Look at the scoring touch and checking ability. Would make other teams very scared!!
Who do you propose at centre? Nolan's a decent faceoff guy but you're not going to get him to play centre and despite Tucker's past at center he was not very good at that position so that leaves Kilger and I'm not about to trust him with a center spot. I'll agree though, if any of them could pick up the play at center it would have the potential to be a very good checking line so long as Kilger can play a consistant season, finally.

Old
03-25-2004, 10:01 PM
Verbal Kint*

I was impressed, my only question is if he can keep it up. How old is he anyway? Could he possibly be a DIY project for us?

Old
03-25-2004, 10:06 PM
Wasp

Good thing about Kilger for us is that he doesn't have to be consistent. He'll play maybe 2-3 times every 5 games, and can be an immediate spark plug if one of our 3rd/4th liners are slumping. He is purely a depth guy, who can play very well and step up when someone is injured. It will be interesting to see how much he plays when Tucker is injured.

Old
03-25-2004, 10:15 PM
db23

Kilger is 28, so I wouldn't expect any great upside form him. He started off well when he came to Montreal a few years back, then just flattened out. He has good size and speed, but poor hockey sense, and he doesn't play hard enough to compensate for that.

Old
03-26-2004, 01:23 PM
Schenn02

I liked his play, was pretty impressed.

Old
03-26-2004, 01:46 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Kilger is 28, so I wouldn't expect any great upside form him. He started off well when he came to Montreal a few years back, then just flattened out. He has good size and speed, but poor hockey sense, and he doesn't play hard enough to compensate for that.
He actually just turned 27 a few months ago. He's young enough to still have some untapped potential.

I think Kilger could be a guy who finds a home in Toronto. He's got the size and skill to make somewhat of an impact and we need more forwards in his age bracket.

Also, Kilger is under contract for next year, so JFJ must have seen some kind of long-term potential in him.

Old
03-26-2004, 01:49 PM
Red Horner*

Is it Kilger Time Yet

I asked that a week ago, bet Quinn can't wait for Renberg to come back so he can Bench the Kid.

Old
03-26-2004, 07:21 PM
zzzzzd

Send a message via MSN to zzzzzd Send a message via Yahoo to zzzzzd
I had school, (plus i live in the states now)so i did'nt see the first and 18 min of the second, but from what i saw of kilger, he looked kinda star struck, every tome he touched the puck he try and feed nolan, even if nolan was in traffic, and he seemed to get pushed around, maybe its because he has'nt played in some thing like 17 games,

i remind you i only saw the 3rd

Old
03-26-2004, 08:03 PM
Stephen

It's funny. With the acquisition of Kilger, the Leafs have had at one point or another, 3 of the top 5 picks in the 1995 draft:

1 Berard <-
2 Redden
3 Berg <-
4 Kilger <-
5 Langkow

Closed Thread