HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2009 Moderators' Mock Draft

Old
06-13-2009, 08:28 PM
Captain Ron

vCash: 500
If the Kings get Kane, Rajala and Beck I would be quite happy with the Kings draft.....Good work Tony.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

No complaints from a Devils fan point of view in the first two rounds. Don't know much about the two picks in the third.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Haute Couturier

Wow Moore is way too low. Caron over Moore?

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Devs4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
No complaints from a Devils fan point of view in the first two rounds. Don't know much about the two picks in the third.
Yea, really. If we wind up getting John Moore at 23 I'll be absolutely thrilled.

Devs4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 12:13 AM
danishh

vCash: 50
out of all the teams, considering where they were picking and who they picked, Nashville's draft impresses me the most. Great job Enoch, i really like some of your guys. Josefson is a good pick for your organization and i'm higher on Button than most (or more forgiving of his defensive play at this point, i suppose). Keeping the defensive system stocked can never hurt on a team driven by salary concerns, as defencemen will always get better trade returns and forwards can be brought in cheap through free agency and trades.

To my own mod, TMV, i'd say i'm pretty happy with your choices. I'd have loved to get any of the guys picked 1-8, but none of them fell, so OEL is a good consolation prize. I'm higher on a lot of 2nd round defencemen than palmeri (leddy, button, olsen, orlov, to name a few taken immediatley after 39), but if you were drafting for need that's not a bad choice. Mike Lee is a guy that will take a while to develop, but could very well be a star starter in this league if all goes well. Solid draft and addresses our main concerns for the future: 1 1st pair d-man, 1 #1 goalie, 1 top-6 forward.

edit: Wow, just noticed Howse falling all the way to the oilers at 82. Again, someone i'm high on. Since basically everyone passed on him where i would have taken him, what do you guys not like about him?

Last edited by danishh: 06-14-2009 at 12:40 AM.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 12:33 AM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

vCash: 785
Personally, I really hope we do not draft Holland. From what I've heard he seems like more of a safe pick with limited offensive potential. I think Leblanc has a much higher ceiling from what I've watched and from playing against him for a good number of years.

Playmaker09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Ryan Van Horne
aka Scribe

Send a message via ICQ to Ryan Van Horne Send a message via Skype™ to Ryan Van Horne
Quote:
18 Montreal Canadiens: Peter Holland - C - Guelph (OHL)
19 New York Rangers: Zach Kassian - RW - Peterborough (OHL)

Thanks for sharing that. Always nice to look at a mock draft and see what others are thinking.

If Zack Kassian is on the board when Montreal picks (assuming they don't move up into the top eight or so) and they don't pick him, I will not be impressed. My patience with the Habs is running thin. If they have an opportunity to address their biggest weakness and do not, it will be hanging by a thread. We can only hope that Gainey, a former Peterborough Pete, sees the possibilities with Kassian or addresses those shortcomings in some other way.

Ryan Van Horne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 11:43 AM
GNick42

I wish the Habs would trade down and pick up an extra 2nd in doing so. Give us Palmieri and Roussel. Both going to be good players

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Thanks for sharing that. Always nice to look at a mock draft and see what others are thinking.

If Zack Kassian is on the board when Montreal picks (assuming they don't move up into the top eight or so) and they don't pick him, I will not be impressed. My patience with the Habs is running thin. If they have an opportunity to address their biggest weakness and do not, it will be hanging by a thread. We can only hope that Gainey, a former Peterborough Pete, sees the possibilities with Kassian or addresses those shortcomings in some other way.
Actually, the team's biggest weakness is down the middle. More specifically, a lack of big centers (and any bonafide center prospects at all for that matter). I don't know who will turn out to be the better player between Holland and Kassian, but it would make sense that they try to address that issue at this draft and if they believe the difference between the two is negligible, they'll no doubt go for the center.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Stammer Time
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Come on HF02, you know our second 2nd round pick or our 3rd is going to be used to select Tyson Barrie. Its inevitable.

Stammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 01:02 PM
Sore Loser
Sorest of them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Come on HF02, you know our second 2nd round pick or our 3rd is going to be used to select Tyson Barrie. Its inevitable.
lol no - they will trade BOTH picks to get a 1st round pick and select him.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 01:12 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
Kind of surprised at the Isles' picks. They've got a bucket-load, and what they do with them will go a long way towards restoring the dignity of the franchise... or not. Let the second-guessing begin! (Just remember, boys, all in good fun!)

1) John Tavares -- ok, fair enough. You're getting a franchise guy one way or the other. Me, I'd prefer to build from the blueline on out, but hard to say this is a bad pick. JT will be a strong player to build around.

26) Stefan Elliot -- really? With de Haan and Olsen still on the board? Or forwards like Budish, Klingberg, Palmieri or Tatar? Frankly I have trouble putting Elliot into the second round, never mind the first, but even if you assume he's got the talent, there were still other, better selections available on the board. My pick: Olsen.

31) Jesse Blacker -- I like him a lot, but I'm convinced he would have been available for one of the Isles' many later picks. Any of the players mentioned above would have been stronger choices this early in the second. Assuming I'd taken Olsen with the 26th, I'd take Palmieri here and count myself lucky in getting a great winger for Tavares.

37) Ryan O'Reilly -- This pick I'd have no problem with (he's a great kid who can improve somewhat on his skating, will never be a scorer, but will be a key penalty killer and character leader for a long time), except that the aforementioned Olsen was *still* on the board, as was Palmieri (definite first-round ability) and my pick at this point, Roussel (top-4 2-way defencemen trump PKers in my book).

56) Blake Gallimore -- At least a round early for Gallimore in my book. Brian Dumoulin, Eric Gelinas, Cody Eakin, Jerry D'Amigo and Kenny Ryan are all still on the board here. I'd have a tough time choosing, but might have to go with Dumoulin here.

62) Gleason Fournier -- Meh. Don't see it. Eakin, D'Amigo and Ryan are all still on the board. You could go for D'Amigo as a two-way character forward, but I'd have a tough time denying Ryan's potential as the third component on a line with Palmieri and Tavares.

91) Marcus Foligno -- I've said it before, I'll say it again: if Foligno gets drafted any earlier than the 5th round, it'll be because of his name, not his talent. I mentioned in the Leafs list that Finnish blueliner Sami Vantanen is still on the board here, and he's got a *much* better shot of being a difference maker in the NHL than Foligno does. I haven't gone over my list to see who else might still be around I'd prefer more, but he certainly jumps to mind.

Isles' draft scorecard: C-

I'll start by saying, I'm not a draft guru extrordinaire. I don't have the times, means, or desire.

But I do know enough to hold my own (I think) and I was very surprised when I reviewed the Isles picks. There were a number of bigger name (not that it means everything) players left on the board at 26, 31, 37, etc.

I think they can do better. This draft cannot be a reach draft. Gotta get the guys who have shown he most potential. No room for error this year for the Isles.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 02:43 PM
The Underboss
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
I'll start by saying, I'm not a draft guru extrordinaire. I don't have the times, means, or desire.

But I do know enough to hold my own (I think) and I was very surprised when I reviewed the Isles picks. There were a number of bigger name (not that it means everything) players left on the board at 26, 31, 37, etc.

I think they can do better. This draft cannot be a reach draft. Gotta get the guys who have shown he most potential. No room for error this year for the Isles.
I went and picked guys who I thought would do well in our system. Bigger names don't mean anything if they can't fit the system we are developing. I'll admit I did go out on a limb for some of the picks.

Sal

06-14-2009, 04:12 PM
captain AARON MAIDEN*

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I have Ellis in my top 10.
LOL

Ellis = hobbit + bad skater + can't play defense

he is MAB clone, not more

captain AARON MAIDEN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Classic Devil
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
I was more than a little shocked that I managed to nab Moore for New Jersey at 23.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

vCash: 777
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
I was more than a little shocked that I managed to nab Moore for New Jersey at 23.
I feel the same way about getting Matt Hackett at #69...

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 04:22 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Three defensemen for Nashville?!
Yeah I'm not even close to thrilled with the Nashville draft.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 06:19 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
I wouldn't mind Werek at 20 for the flames. Although if with Moore still on the board I don't think I would take a pass on him. I know the flames have some good d prospects, but I would easily take Moore.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 07:29 PM
Teemu

vCash: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDismyhero View Post
Id be surprised if Carter Ashton falls out of the first round. I think he is a tad overrated myself, but I think someone will take a chance on him in the 1st.
It was almost a coin flip for me between Morin and Ashton.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 08:06 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
I went and picked guys who I thought would do well in our system. Bigger names don't mean anything if they can't fit the system we are developing. I'll admit I did go out on a limb for some of the picks.

Sal

I don't have a complaint about the 1st two picks.But the isles are reportedly looking for size and skill.They also lack speed imo.I would rather have 6'3 Ashton,who's very skilled at #31 and either Charles-Olivier Roussel or the skilled Panik at #37.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I know, I was hoping he'd last until the pick in the 3rd. Obviously Len will make note of this mock and take him with the 32nd pick. Other then that brainfart I think I did an ok job.

Hockeyfan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I don't have a complaint about the 1st two picks.But the isles are reportedly looking for size and skill.They also lack speed imo.I would rather have 6'3 Ashton,who's very skilled at #31 and either Charles-Olivier Roussel or the skilled Panik at #37.
I have a problem at #26 with Stefan Elliot, No thank you...Rather take Roussel or Olsen with that pick. In reality I would take Morin there if he is still available, probably the best pure scorer in the draft behind Tavares.

Panik I will take HUGE pass on, and I wouldn't touch that pig with a 10 ft pole.

Kvashinator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator

vCash: 777
Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12 View Post
I have a problem at #26 with Stefan Elliot, No thank you...Rather take Roussel or Olsen with that pick. In reality I would take Morin there if he is still available, probably the best pure scorer in the draft behind Tavares.

Panik I will take HUGE pass on, and I wouldn't touch that pig with a 10 ft pole.
Any reason why?

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 08:33 PM
AF1982
Jet(s) Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwingsfan View Post
Any reason why?
Motivational issues and body fat. I'm really curious when he'll be drafted.

AF1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 08:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain AARON MAIDEN View Post
LOL

Ellis = hobbit + bad skater + can't play defense

he is MAB clone, not more
Defense can be learned. Judging by the Wild's philosophy over the last 10 years and their revamped management, 'can't play defense' is not necessarily a bad thing.

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote