KevFist
is best pony

vCash: 500
If........

Let's do a bit of speculation here....

If...

Dan Snyder had never died.
Dany Heatley had never been traded to Ottawa
Pasi Nurminen had never had career-ending injuries.
Patrik Stefan had panned out to his potential

How different do the Thrashers look? Does Savard stay in Atlanta? How deep do we go in the playoffs? Are people talking about how bad Atlanta hockey is, or do we wind up kinda like Nashville; making the playoffs most every year and going deep on occasion....

Old
06-13-2009, 09:58 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I think Dany Heatley's behavior in Ottawa gives us a little insight.

He was going to abandon the franchise one way or another, the accident just got him out of here a little quicker...perhaps for a better return that what could have been gotten at the trade deadline.

However, if Nurminen is not injured I think we get one more playoff appearance. The lockout probably cost us another.

Old
06-13-2009, 01:33 PM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

Imagine ... Kovalchuk - Savard - Heatley

2 50 goal scorers on 1 line .

Old
06-13-2009, 02:33 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Ya know..Honestly, I think the REAL keys are Stefan panning out to be a real #1 and Pasi Nurminen not starting the tradition of Atlanta groins... Heatley was going to leave. I think he always resented being in Atlanta.

Old
06-13-2009, 02:39 PM
jbreiner

Stefan never had that great of an upside. He was just supposedly the most NHL ready. Most had him pegged as a tough second or third liner.

Old
06-13-2009, 07:41 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneel View Post
How different do the Thrashers look? Does Savard stay in Atlanta? How deep do we go in the playoffs? Are people talking about how bad Atlanta hockey is, or do we wind up kinda like Nashville; making the playoffs most every year and going deep on occasion....
I don't believe the team would of looked much different because the team still had the same GM.

Savard still doesn't stay in Atlanta. I honestly believe that Savard would of re-signed in Atlanta if Waddell offerred him $5mil a season which is what he got in Boston. I remember reading press quotes of Savard wanting to stay, he was enjoying playing hockey in Atlanta (no other team gave him first line minutes and remember he was frequently benched/scratched in Calgary) and all he wanted was a pay rise that he deserved. Unfortunately Waddell didn't think he was worth that much or he had too much money tied-up else where (Holik) and couldn't match Boston's offer.

History has shown Heatley probably would of left at the same time as Hossa or at the first opportunity.

Nurminen wasn't a difference maker in goal but he was the best of a bad bunch since inception (Rhodes, Maracle, Hnilicka, Dafoe). Kari still would be starting against the Rangers in the playoffs and the team still would of been swept.

It was pretty clear earlier on that Stefan wasn't going to be the first line forward the thrashers had hoped. Stefan's best offensive asset was his speed and passing but he couldn't click centering Kovalchuk & Heatley which suggested that the best Atlanta could expect was a 60 point per season 2nd line center (if he didn't have any injuries) or a 40 point per season 3rd line center (which is what he become before traded to Dallas).

Old
06-14-2009, 09:14 AM
fatschoonerrat

Are you trying to write a country song?

Old
06-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneel View Post
Let's do a bit of speculation here....

If...

Dan Snyder had never died.
Dany Heatley had never been traded to Ottawa
Pasi Nurminen had never had career-ending injuries.
Patrik Stefan had panned out to his potential

Still no defense on the roster.

Nurminen was an improvement on previous goalies but he wasn't going to steal any of Brodeur's trophies even with Scott Stevens playing in front of him.

Old
06-14-2009, 08:32 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

More like imagine if Exelby had kept playing at the level he was at pre-concussion

Old
06-15-2009, 11:43 PM
Norm MacDonald

Imagine if the Thrashers had a committed ownership and a decent GM.

Every team has bad breaks. Successful teams can survive them. In Atlanta's case, poor asset management caused a franchise with so many top picks to be consistent bottom feeder.

Next season shows a little more promise, but that seems to be Waddell's mantra every season. How he has been able to maintain his job after failing so much is beyond me. Maybe it's just that the standards are so low that late-season pushes and a respectable prospect pool are seen as considerable successes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
More like imagine if Exelby had kept playing at the level he was at pre-concussion
He's never been a game-breaker. He was playing relatively well last season before his concussion, but he's always been a fringe NHLer. Expecting him to be a top 4 defenseman is irrational.

Old
06-16-2009, 03:47 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
Imagine if the Thrashers had a committed ownership and a decent GM.

Every team has bad breaks. Successful teams can survive them. In Atlanta's case, poor asset management caused a franchise with so many top picks to be consistent bottom feeder.

Next season shows a little more promise, but that seems to be Waddell's mantra every season. How he has been able to maintain his job after failing so much is beyond me. Maybe it's just that the standards are so low that late-season pushes and a respectable prospect pool are seen as considerable successes.

He's never been a game-breaker. He was playing relatively well last season before his concussion, but he's always been a fringe NHLer. Expecting him to be a top 4 defenseman is irrational.
I don't mean last season... I mean 05/06, and then pre-injury 06/07. He was very solid in his own zone, easily our most reliable D, and was never really the same after Hollweg ran him into the boards face first.

Think he hurt his foot or something last season, can't really remember. But anyway, IMHO he would be the middle-pairing shutdown D we need right now if he hadn't had his career / face derailed by Hollweg.

Old
06-16-2009, 07:54 AM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
I don't mean last season... I mean 05/06, and then pre-injury 06/07. He was very solid in his own zone, easily our most reliable D, and was never really the same after Hollweg ran him into the boards face first.
He's also seriously scaled back his fighting and hitting. In general, he's just less imposing/intimidating than he was pre-concussion.

Old
06-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofFlames View Post
He's also seriously scaled back his fighting and hitting. In general, he's just less imposing/intimidating than he was pre-concussion.
But on the flip side, there is less of him taking himself out of position going for the big hit. XLB caused a lot of 2>1s in those early days. Hitting that leads to opposition goals is counter productive.

Old
06-16-2009, 06:06 PM
KevFist
is best pony

The two biggest upsides to Exelby are the facts that he is a fan favorite...Puts people in the seats... Also, he does still have the reputation for the big hit, so he's a slight deterrent..However, I can't help but think Bogosian's going to start taking that over.

Old
06-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Payinthedues

I really think at this point, Exelby should be playing in Chicago with the Wolves.

Old
06-17-2009, 07:20 AM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
But on the flip side, there is less of him taking himself out of position going for the big hit. XLB caused a lot of 2>1s in those early days. Hitting that leads to opposition goals is counter productive.
So very true, but I seem to remember Exelby's decision making improving a bunch before his concussion. W/e its not like it matters now, Exelby has regressed beyond the point of recovery and he needs to be moved. Plus, Valabik plays the same role anyway and has higher upside, imo.

Old
06-17-2009, 08:16 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasteofFlames View Post
So very true, but I seem to remember Exelby's decision making improving a bunch before his concussion. W/e its not like it matters now, Exelby has regressed beyond the point of recovery and he needs to be moved. Plus, Valabik plays the same role anyway and has higher upside, imo.
Yep, 3rd pairing slot should be his and Ex packaged with Pavelec and moved for something if possible.

Old
06-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
He has always been pretty bad positionally, which really hurt him because of his skating. I honestly don't remember much of a drop off since then, because he never really had much hockey sense. Concussions don't exactly affect that. He played more physical, but if he doesn't have the skill to back it up, he's just a third-pairing D.

Also, I'd take Havelid those seasons over Exelby if I wanted a reliable D, and maybe even Sutton. Then again, considering the D at the time, being the most reliable D doesn't exactly say much.

Quote:
Think he hurt his foot or something last season, can't really remember. But anyway, IMHO he would be the middle-pairing shutdown D we need right now if he hadn't had his career / face derailed by Hollweg.
Sorry, I was thinking about that foot injury. Either way, I don't think he would be a top 4 on a competitive team even without that concussion. Now, he wouldn't even be in the lineup in most competitive teams.

Old
06-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Elyoric

More time machine speculation...

- What if the Islanders picked Heatley first in 2000? Would we have picked DiPietro?
- Assuming we did pick DiPietro, we then take Bouwmeester instead of Lehtonen in 2001, no?
- With JB, do we still pick Coburn in 2003?
- What if Coburn actually played like he belonged in the NHL when he got called up instead of playing like a career ECHL'er?

Old
06-17-2009, 04:03 PM
eric71*

I think you guys have the most cursed franchise in hockey..

Whats next, you guys gonna sign Ty Conklin?

Old
06-17-2009, 04:14 PM
flerd_trandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric71 View Post
Whats next, you guys gonna sign Ty Conklin?
No way we get Conklin. There is no chance Atlanta plays in a Winter Classic.

Old
06-17-2009, 04:26 PM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric71 View Post
I think you guys have the most cursed franchise in hockey..
I'm pretty sure Phoenix is just slightly more cursed than we are, in light of the situation at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerd_trandle View Post
No way we get Conklin. There is no chance Atlanta plays in a Winter Classic.
It could happen! We'd end up playing in Calgary or something, but it could happen.

That would be interesting, too, you know. An Atlanta vs Calgary classic. New vs. Old. Hmmm...

Last edited by dj4aces: 06-17-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old
06-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Norm MacDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyoric View Post
More time machine speculation...

- What if the Islanders picked Heatley first in 2000? Would we have picked DiPietro?
- Assuming we did pick DiPietro, we then take Bouwmeester instead of Lehtonen in 2001, no?
I doubt the organization would be in a much different place than it is now. Lehtonen is a top goalie, despite what a select few people on this board think. I'd much rather him than DiPietro. Bouwmeester would be a big addition, but if he's leaving Florida at the first chance he has, he'd do the same with Atlanta.
Quote:
- With JB, do we still pick Coburn in 2003?
Don't blame the pick; he's better than any Thrashers defenseman at the moment (yes, better than Enstrom). Blame the development.
Quote:
- What if Coburn actually played like he belonged in the NHL when he got called up instead of playing like a career ECHL'er?
No... he played well in the NHL, but was sent back down because he was the only D not eligible for waivers. It was his play in the AHL that was suspect, because he seemed unmotivated. Either way, it fits well with the Thrashers theme of being extremely impatient.

Old
06-17-2009, 10:50 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOrange View Post
He has always been pretty bad positionally, which really hurt him because of his skating. I honestly don't remember much of a drop off since then, because he never really had much hockey sense. Concussions don't exactly affect that. He played more physical, but if he doesn't have the skill to back it up, he's just a third-pairing D.

Also, I'd take Havelid those seasons over Exelby if I wanted a reliable D, and maybe even Sutton. Then again, considering the D at the time, being the most reliable D doesn't exactly say much.

Sorry, I was thinking about that foot injury. Either way, I don't think he would be a top 4 on a competitive team even without that concussion. Now, he wouldn't even be in the lineup in most competitive teams.
Noooo! Not possible! I still have nightmares of how terrible he was.

Old
06-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Telfo
THRASHERS

its amazing how much crap has happened in our teams short history

Closed Thread