HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Late 08-09 Trades Evaluated

Old
06-17-2009, 09:40 AM
Jersey Girl

vCash: 500
I was on record here as saying I thought the Rangers should be sellers at the deadline, not buyers. I didn't think we had any chance of winning the Cup, and I was never one of those 'you just have to be in it to win it' people. These playoffs showed even a goalie who is playing out of his mind can only take you so far...and that goalies rarely play out of their mind for two months.

That said, if we were going to go in the 'buy' direction, I think Sather did an OK job...and I hate Sather. He didn't give up much, and the guys we got were exactly what we needed. Of course what we really need are guys like Antropov and Morris who are MUCH better than Antropov and Morris, but they weren't available for what little Sather gave up in the trades.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Yes, anything can happen, if a team makes the playoffs. But, if you've been watching hockey for a long as I have (and watched the playoffs unfold year after year), you'd also be aware that the Rangers are no where near making an impact in the playoffs and renting Antropov didn't change that fact in any way. The fact that Sather had to make so many changes at the deadline just to sneak into the playoffs shows how far away this organization is from truly contending.
Haven't seen you around here in a while Brook. Nice to read your thoughts again.

Unfortunately, I do disagree as well. Antropov almost helped this team get past a much better Caps squad, and probably would have if not for mental meltdowns from Avery and Torts.

I never had much respect for the Bruins, and much like the Sharks, their unbelievable regular seasons translated into nothing in the postseason. The Rangers matched up well against Boston, took the season series, and I do believe could have taken them out in the second round.

ECF's seemed like a real possibility to me and it would have been the furthest they've gotten in well over a decade. That would have been good for the fan base and REALLY good for Sather in answering his critics. In that context, I think that makes these particular trades very appropriate, even in hindsight.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I have no problems with the trades. Our young guys got good valuable playoff experience. Bottom line, we didn't have to sell the farm to get in the playoffs, so i'm good.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:55 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Haven't seen you around here in a while Brook. Nice to read your thoughts again.

Unfortunately, I do disagree as well. Antropov almost helped this team get past a much better Caps squad, and probably would have if not for mental meltdowns from Avery and Torts.

I never had much respect for the Bruins, and much like the Sharks, their unbelievable regular seasons translated into nothing in the postseason. The Rangers matched up well against Boston, took the season series, and I do believe could have taken them out in the second round.

ECF's seemed like a real possibility to me and it would have been the furthest they've gotten in well over a decade. That would have been good for the fan base and REALLY good for Sather in answering his critics. In that context, I think that makes these particular trades very appropriate, even in hindsight.
I Agree 10000000000% precent. It's too bad our team decided to show up only in game 7 or we probably would have won the series. Plus, Lundy was red-hot. I don't think I've seen him play at that level in a while. He really shined. Who knows what would have happened after the Caps but I think we could have gotten to the ECF's and if Hank stayed hot beat them too! We would have at least put up a fight unlike the f***ing hurricanes.

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 11:07 AM
gravytrain6t

We need Nik Antropov. Nik Antropov needs the Rangers. A fresh start out of Toronto may serve him well. He says he likes playing in a hockey town. He mentioned a few times this is a hockey town. He's correct. Antropov may provide what we were looking for and more in Hugh Jessiman. He seems ready to go. I think he really enjoyed the change of scenary and is not kidding when he says he would love to come back.

He scored 26g in 07/08 and 28 this past season. I like him for reasons i stated on another thread. His size and skill. He's got a tremendous wrist shot, a long reach, tough to contain around the net and can use his frame to obtain good body position (almost like a power forward in basketball posting up) and protect the puck. The defender may need help which leaves a trailer, or someone else open. Another reason why I like his size is because it can create space for the speedy guys to get to the net. So with him on the RW, Gomez in the middle, and Avery or Callahan on the left, I'm satisfied.

I liked Morris. Thought he was as good as Mara. Dawes needed to show more consistancy. I thought Prucha came into camp in much better shape than the year before and I also thought he was more confident. During last season's pre games, he may not have scored but he was flying, and was all over the place hunting down the puck. I'm sure it didn't help when Renney put him in a game, he scored, and was rewarded by not playing the next game. Renney played Orr every game like it had to be but clearly that wasn't nor is not the case.

I would really like to see Rozsival traded if possible and the Rangers sign and bring back Antropov and one of Mara/Morris. Mara would probably come cheaper.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:10 PM
frozenH20

I would have been nice to see Prucha given a shot with Torts, but his days were numbered. Overall, we gave up Kalinin, Prucha and Dawes (who weren’t part of the short or long term game plan) and a 2nd round pick (wildcard) for Antropov and Morris. Even if Antropov and Morris turn out to be nothing more than short-term rentals, both were needed to slow down the death spiral and ensure a playoff opportunity.

Admittedly, I didn’t think they had a snowballs chance in hell in winning the cup or not being a 1st round knockout. If anything, making the playoffs provided a much needed reality check. One of the reporters said the playoff games summarized and consolidate the entire season into seven games – which is how I saw it as well. In a nutshell, I thought they played

o “Adequately” for two games and won because the other team played worse
o “Horridly” for two games and deserved to lose b/c they didn’t bother to show up
o “Well” for two games; beating the better team for one and losing to the better team in the other
o “At max” for game #7; gave it everything they had and lost b/c they can’t score.

During the dark years, I would have voted to do anything for a playoff shot, but with this team went into the 3rd period, down a goal, in a game#7 playoff match and only generating one shot a goal. If that’s not enough to warrant significant changes, I don’t know what is.

With the exception of a handful players (Lundqvist, Dubinsky, Callahan, Stall, etc.) which are likely to be the future building blocks, most of the rest the team (for one reason or another) is incompetent. I don’t mean incompetent as in lacking elite level skill sets, I mean lacking a minimum level of competency. We have way too many forwards (that can’t score, let alone put a shot on net), defensive players (that don’t do enough to prevent the other team players from doing what they want), a power play (that can’t score with a two man advantage and for the longest time, were happy to just not give up another short handed goal), etc… With the exception of goaltending and pk, this team is a mess. If missing the playoffs for a year or two gives us a better shot at competing for the cup in the subsequent years, then I’d be ok with it.

frozenH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:25 PM
SomebodySaveKreider

I had no problem with the trades, the team clearly got better, and we didn't give up a lot in the process and I thought Antropov and Drury showed good chemistry.

We still needed another goal scorer though to really make a bigger impact. We have one and we take the series from Washington, and take pressure off Hank so he could keep playing better.

Its a shame the cap mess we're in now, I'd love to keep both.

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote