HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ridiculously Early 2009-2010 Prediction Thread

Old
06-13-2009, 11:41 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Jones is traded to the KHL. Yeah, I said it. The KHL.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 11:50 PM
UseYourAllusion

Carcillo: 15 goals. 40 points. 200 PIMs. and a hell of a lot of entertainment. the whiners find a new scapegoat.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 03:43 AM
Cartered

Send a message via AIM to Cartered Send a message via MSN to Cartered
I'll take a stab at this I guess. Based on nothing but my gut feelings:

- The Flyers will do their best in free agency. Lupul and Carle will both be moved. Jones will be waived. None of these moves will be shocking to anybody who follows the Flyers. The priority in deals for Lupul and Carle will be freeing up space as opposed to getting a good return player-wise. The Flyers need that cap space heading into Free Agency, and the chances are that whatever they pick up in UFA will be more valuable than what they could get for Lupul and Carle. They're not going to get Harding or Pavelec for a package centered on Lupul and/or Carle. Such a deal would be a steal for the Flyers, but I feel that the asking price on these players is going to be too high to get Holmgren to bite. He'll look to Free Agency instead.

- Free Agency starts. The Flyers will not come away with Bouwmeester; he will receive a ridiculous overpayment from another a team that the Flyers simply won't be able to match, even with the added cap room. The Flyers will forget all about Robert Esche when they realize that Ty Conklin is available in free agency, and they'll sign him to compete with Ray Emery for the starting job in Philadelphia. The Flyers will also make a key signing on defense, too. I'll wager that one or two of the following will be signed by the end of the offseason:

* Francois Beauchemin
* Nick Boynton
* Steve Montador
* Rob Scuderi
* Mattias Ohlund
* Mike Komisarek
* Dennis Seidenberg

- We'll start the season off slowly, probably with a losing streak. We'll be a handful of games below .500 (maybe 4 or 5) before something drastic happens within the first month or two of the season.

- Holmgren will become frustrated with the team's losing ways and fire John Stevens. He will also waive Carcillo, who will have done nothing of note on the scoresheet while racking up a myriad of stupid penalties in the opening stretch of the season. Rather than promote John Paddock from the AHL, I think Holmgren himself will step behind the bench while the search for a new coach immediately begins.

- Holmgren behind the bench will bring a new spark to the club and they'll temporarily come back to life, possibly going on a mini-winning streak or two and climbing back to a game or two over .500 and into playoff contention. However, while Holmgren is able to light more of a fire under his team than Stevens was capable, his emotional coaching style and lack of a fundamental system means that the team won't find long-term success with him behind the bench. Holmgren realizes this, and by the Christmas break, he has one of the following guys hired:

* Dave Tippett
* Peter Laviolette
* Denis Savard
* Brent Sutter (longshot, I think he's going back to Calgary)
* Mike Keenan (shudder, not advocating him by any means... but if he is hired, I see him as a short term solution. Someone, I forget who, said in another thread that the Flyers could use a "bad cop" type of coach to instill leadership in the young guys. Keenan probably fits that description. Plus, his players play in an organized system, which is more than what can be said for our current coach).

- The team will struggle over the first few games under the new coach as it adjusts to actually playing in an offensive system that isn't based on "whatever the guy with the puck decides to do goes." However, they'll come around and start winning more games than they lose. After the All-Star Break, I see them anywhere from fourth to sixth in the East. I don't think they can win the division, though.

- The trade deadline will come and go. I don't see us being able to make any moves of note with our cap situation being where it is, and we'll go into the end of the season/playoffs with the roster mostly intact. The Flyers' overhaul will come much earlier in the season than the trade deadline, and it will happen mostly behind the bench, not on the ice.

- We'll finish the season winning more games than we lose and go into the Playoffs as the fourth or fifth seed. We'll draw a first round matchup with a team like the Rangers, Devils, Senators, or Sabres.

I won't go into how the playoffs are going to pan out; you guys can leave that up to your imagination. If our next season plays out like this, though, I won't be disappointed in the least. It will be the beginning of a turnaround for a club that is only a few steps away from greatness.

Cartered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 07:09 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Carcillo wins the Lady Byng despite being suspended 50 games for crosschecking Crosby through the glass. Crosby will never play another game and the Pittsburgh franchise will fold.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Richyrich

Gagne Giroux and Briere form a new power line called "The French Connection." However, instead of playing, they just act out scenes from the movie every time they are on the ice. Being a huge fan of the movie, Stevens gives them the majority of the ice time. Other teams are mesmerized by the beauty and subtlety of Briere's performance as well as the raw power behind Gagne and Giroux's. The juxtaposition between raw talent and years of training is truly a thing to behold. Unable to hold themselves together other teams pay no attention to the 2 devensmen on the ice as they skate in alone to score on an empty goal. As a result:

Timonen winds up with 145 goals and 300 assists

Flyers win 82 games and sweep through the playoffs

Richyrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 09:32 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Carcillo wins the Lady Byng despite being suspended 50 games for crosschecking Crosby through the glass. Crosby will never play another game and the Pittsburgh franchise will fold.
I expect this from Carcillo, as far as sidney is concerned:

"Siiiiidney! Cover your heart!" -geno

Old
06-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Kaktus*

Homer will set GMs record and trades yet another 1st (3rd consecutive year) round pick to improve our team.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

The flyers will start the season beating everyone and hitting a record of 9-0-2 or something of the sort. Mike richards and Coburn come down with long term injuries and the club will spiral out of control going 2-12-3 in the next clump of games.

This is where Carcillo and emery really show themselfs to be flyers hero's, Carcillo goes on a goal scoring streak, and Ko streak beating the living daylights out of everyone. He injures crosby with a bone shattering hit that changes the fortunes of the club as they rally around him. Crosby is out for the year and misses the playoffs with a spinal injury. A week later malkin takes trys to put a big hit on a ranger but misses and collides with gonchar, again injures himself and is out untill the last two games of the season. Pens fail to make playoffs.

Emery while noticing carcillo goes on a tear and puts himself on the board for all of the keeper trophies. He steals game after game as the flyers put up marginal scoring numbers. Giroux-Gagne-Briere become the french connection and detroy the league putting up huge offensive numbers behind emery's super goaltending. The flyers go into the playoffs second in the conferance behund boston. They win the first series 4-1 against carolina, go on to win the next series in 6 against the rangers. In the conferance final against boston the flyers take it to game 7 and in a triple overtime thriller, Lupul the second most hated flyer behind jones on the team skates the length of the ice and rockets a slapshot into the top right hand corner of the net behind thomas.

The flyers go into the final missing timonnen through an injury, and emery for the first 3 games. The flyers lose the first three games to stage the greatest comeback in the history of the NHL. Losing 4-1 going into the third period of the fourth game, Carcillo/Richards and briere come out of nowhere to bring the team back to 4-4, In overtime richards breaks down the right wing to feed a drop pass to lupul who again saves the flyers bacon by dekeing the defenseman and goalie to slot it between his legs for the win.

The flyers go on to win the next 3 games on the bounce to claim the stanley cup for the first time in almost 30 years. Beterman goes crazy throwing the book at the flyers all year trying to get suspentions. The reffing is terrible for the flyers, and the teams around the league begin to think its a conspiracy against the flyers. Beterman resigns after the rumours are found to be true.

I'm not mental, but thats how its going to go

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 10:34 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
The Flyers will trade Randy Jones and a 2012 2nd to LA for LA 7th round pick in 2010

Giroux will finish with 25 goals and 45 assists.

Carter will start slow this time causing just about everyone on this board to say TRADE HIS ASS. but at the allstar break he gets hot and finishes with 40 goals.

Carcillo scores 4 goals(all empty netters) and gets 300 PIMS before Holmgren sends him Florida for a 4th round pick at the allstar break.

The Flyers neither lose or win more then 5 in a row.

The Flyers beat the Pens in the 2nd round of the playoffs but lose in the Conference Final to Washington.

Antero Niittymaki who signs with Atlanta when Lehtonen and Pavelec get hurt shuts out the Flyers with a 45 save shutout(you figure out the reaction on this board)

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Claude Giroux

Giroux scores 30 goals

Emery finishes with 2.35 GAA / .919 SV%

Richards wins the Selke

Second round exit

Claude Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 12:45 PM
BringBackStevens

Gotta love how worked up everyone is about Carcillo. This guy is getting way too much attention over nothing. He's a decent 3rd/4th line grinder who hits like a ton of bricks. Let's spend some more time worrying about our key players. They are the ones that are going to dictate what happens for us this year.

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:38 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

We sign Bouwmeester. Emery is better than average for the whole season. We win the Cup.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:56 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Briere leads the team in scoring.
Carcillo proves the haters wrong
Emery makes the All Star game
Jones is given a contract entension
Komisarek is signed to 4.4 mill per yr, 5 yrs
Lupul traded at draft for picks
Tyler Kennedy marrys Miss Piggy

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:15 PM
SwissButch
in CA OCT-NOV '12

Maroon makes the team out of camp

SwissButch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 03:10 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

--Francois Beauchemin will be our key FA acquisition after shedding the needed space

--JVR gets called up for a stretch, underwhelms and is sent back down for the rest of the year

--Giroux continues to be excellence in the making

--Carcillo finally earns fan favorite status around here

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 03:32 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Gotta love how worked up everyone is about Carcillo. This guy is getting way too much attention over nothing. He's a decent 3rd/4th line grinder who hits like a ton of bricks. Let's spend some more time worrying about our key players. They are the ones that are going to dictate what happens for us this year.
Lol did u also see that? This thread is like a breeding ground for carcillo fans. They make him sound like he is going to get 80 points.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 03:50 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Lol did u also see that? This thread is like a breeding ground for carcillo fans. They make him sound like he is going to get 80 points.
I thought he was referring to the ridiculous Carcillo haters myself. And I'd say the thread has it's fair share of both

Old
06-15-2009, 04:10 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
I thought he was referring to the ridiculous Carcillo haters myself. And I'd say the thread has it's fair share of both
I was more talking about the haters, but it applies to both.

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Miss Mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
Gagne Giroux and Briere form a new power line called "The French Connection." However, instead of playing, they just act out scenes from the movie every time they are on the ice. Being a huge fan of the movie, Stevens gives them the majority of the ice time. Other teams are mesmerized by the beauty and subtlety of Briere's performance as well as the raw power behind Gagne and Giroux's. The juxtaposition between raw talent and years of training is truly a thing to behold. Unable to hold themselves together other teams pay no attention to the 2 devensmen on the ice as they skate in alone to score on an empty goal. As a result:

Timonen winds up with 145 goals and 300 assists

Flyers win 82 games and sweep through the playoffs
Verrrry interesting

- Lupul will remain a Flyer for another full year.
- Marty Biron gets further in the playoffs than Philly.
- Giroux & Briere combine for 175 points.
- Sidney Crosby has 6 hattricks against the Flyers.

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 07:55 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarfo View Post
Emery wins Vezina.

Carcillo scores more goals than Briere.
I won't go THAT nuts, but I'm gonna say Emery pulls out 41 wins.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:21 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Oh I agree on the bolded part. I personally dont think Carcillo should be included at all in this whole thing. I thought this was supposed to be somewhat serious, not idea's like Carcillo is going to go out and lead the league in points type of thing. I dont like him at all, but I wouldnt have included him in my post

Old
06-15-2009, 08:30 PM
UseYourAllusion

being as this is Scarfo's thread, I doubt the intent was especially serious.

Old
06-15-2009, 08:34 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
being as this is Scarfo's thread, I doubt the intent was especially serious.
That...is true. You win

Old
06-15-2009, 08:41 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
That...is true. You win
That said, you and I are on the same page about the amount of attention Carcillo gets in serious discussion about the fate of the team.

Old
06-16-2009, 03:49 PM
captainpaxil

lupul after being reunited with richards has a 30 goal season. danny briere has a comeback season totalling 90 pts. gagne has the most goals on the team. coburn struggles early and there are calls to trade him at the deadline. he calms down and finishes strong after signing a contract extension. his poor previous play driving down his asking price. pat maroon earns a spot due to injury and never lets it go. jvr plays with hartnell and carter the line has an off year due to miscues by jvr leading to hartnell penalties. matt carle shows his big upside after an injury to kimmo timonen puts him on the 1st powerplay unit. the loss of timo lte and poor play early leaves the flyers missing the playoffs. but there is hope for the future and 2010/11

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote