HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Affordable wingers for Pittsburgh

Old
06-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Polaris
Cold as Ice

vCash: 50
Brad Winchester.

Stop laughing.

Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 05:54 PM
PotaGuitar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaters not lazt View Post
Cheechoo is coming off back to back 30 point seasons. At this point, his contract isn't looking like a sweethart deal like it was 2 seasons ago. I like him, but when has a forward with 2 straight 30 point seasons ever gotten this kind of return at his age/contract?
GM's pay for potential and he's shown that he can get it done in the NHL. Sure the 56 goal season was probably a fluke, but a player with no offensive ability would never get that lucky. Playing on the 3rd line all of this year didn't help much either. At the end of the year, Cheech showed that he can still get it done when in the top 6 with an exceptional centerman. Don't expect the same kind of production he had during his RR year, but I could see him getting 25+ goals on a line with Crosby, I really could.

That being said, I doubt he'll garner a first rounder from anybody. An early to mid second rounder looks good, but a late 2nd and an ok prospect would be fine with me too.

PotaGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 05:58 PM
Heaters not lazt*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotaGuitar View Post
GM's pay for potential. Sure the 56 goal season was probably a fluke, but a player with no offensive ability would never get that lucky. Playing on the 3rd line all of this year didn't help much either. At the end of the year, Cheech showed that he can still get it done when in the top 6 with an exceptional centerman. Don't expect the same kind of production he had during his RR year, but I could see him getting 25+ goals on a line with Crosby, I really could.

That being said, I doubt he'll garner a first rounder from anybody. An early to mid second rounder looks good, but a late 2nd and an ok prospect would be fine with me too.
I still don't understand why he's worth that much. He did it 3 years ago. Yes, I realize it was a great season, but again, I think he's proven that he will likley never match those totals again.

I get where you're coming from... But if a GM pays for potential, why did Glen Murray have to be bought out last season? Last season he had a similar season (about 30 points) but the season before he scored at almost a PPG.

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Burgs

I doubt the Pens will trade any major assets this summer to get their wingers. Can't see them upsetting the chemistry of a Cup winning team by dealing Staal. And we better keep our draft picks to replenish our thin prospect pool.

If they can keep Guerin at a discount and Fedotenko at a slight raise, that leaves them with only 1 open winger spot (or none, if you see Talbot as permanent winger for Geno).

We're probably going to try and lure another UFA veteran here with a chance to play for a contender (no Hossa jokes necessary), and at the same time hope one of our wing prospects (Caputi, Tangradi, Veilleux, Pierro-Zabotel) fasttracks to the NHL.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 06:29 PM
dulzhok

Steve Sullivan is a possibility. Hard to say coming from a Preds fan, but looks like he wants to go to a contender. Also, he has ties to Shero. Assuming he stays healthy, he could put great numbers alongside Sid or Malkin.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 06:31 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
I doubt the Pens will trade any major assets this summer to get their wingers. Can't see them upsetting the chemistry of a Cup winning team by dealing Staal. And we better keep our draft picks to replenish our thin prospect pool.

If they can keep Guerin at a discount and Fedotenko at a slight raise, that leaves them with only 1 open winger spot (or none, if you see Talbot as permanent winger for Geno).

We're probably going to try and lure another UFA veteran here with a chance to play for a contender (no Hossa jokes necessary), and at the same time hope one of our wing prospects (Caputi, Tangradi, Veilleux, Pierro-Zabotel) fasttracks to the NHL.
If Shero thinks the top 9 is fine, then use the extra money to bring in a dman, assuming we have a few extra mill.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 06:32 PM
Chea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Steve Sullivan is a possibility. Hard to say coming from a Preds fan, but looks like he wants to go to a contender. Also, he has ties to Shero. Assuming he stays healthy, he could put great numbers alongside Sid or Malkin.
Yea that would be great to see. Too bad they probably wouldn't have cap room for him.

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Jacob

The Penguins, for the most part, need wingers that can produce 5-on-5 in the top-6 Our first PP unit is pretty much set and it plays 80% of the powerplay time. To me, that eliminates the possibilities of Kotalik, Afinogenov and Kovalev.

I think every reasonable attempt will be made to re-sign Guerin and Fedotenko. Having said that, if agreements cannot be reached, I could see the Penguins looking at LaRose, Bertuzzi, or maybe Dvorak. Or they might promote Talbot or Kennedy to the top-6. Gonna be another lean year on the wings in Pittsburgh.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 06:38 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
The Penguins, for the most part, need wingers that can produce 5-on-5 in the top-6 Our first PP unit is pretty much set and it plays 80% of the powerplay time. To me, that eliminates the possibilities of Kotalik, Afinogenov and Kovalev.

I think every reasonable attempt will be made to re-sign Guerin and Fedotenko. Having said that, if agreements cannot be reached, I could see the Penguins looking at LaRose, Bertuzzi, or maybe Dvorak. Or they might promote Talbot or Kennedy to the top-6. Gonna be another lean year on the wings in Pittsburgh.
I'm not against Bert for 2M. LaRose would be pretty nice here.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 06:46 PM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

I imagine Fedotenko is certainly on their radar, I don't think he'd ask for too much of a raise either and he'd probably take Sykora's place. The other 2 spots will be harder, I have to think at least one (probably next to Malkin) will be filled within by Pesonen, Caputi, Tangradi, etc. Shero may decide to try Talbot there full-time as well and promote Jeffrey to 4th line center.

As for Crosby's RW, I'd love to see Shero go after Trent Hunter, big, physical right-handed shot who could fill Guerin's veteran role while being a decade younger. Not to mention he's on a great contract though who knows what the Isles would want. Maybe Dupuis, Veillux/Pierro-Zabotel, and TB's 3rd? Cheechoo or Sullivan are solid options as well and both make sense, although they may be too pricey.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 06:48 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Svatos for a 2nd makes alot of sense, but Pittsburghs 2nd is 61st I believe which is basically a 3rd.
How about a 2nd and a 4th?

I'd love Svatos on Malkin's wing.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 06:58 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Not nessesarily cheap, but not too expensive..

Moreau and or Nilsson at 2 million dollars should be available from the Oilers for a draft pick.

Valic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 07:15 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post

I'd do it.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 07:25 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Not nessesarily cheap, but not too expensive..

Moreau and or Nilsson at 2 million dollars should be available from the Oilers for a draft pick.
Oh, goody.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 07:25 PM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post

Eh, the talent is there but his list of injuries is scary, not to mention he's small-ish and on the last year of his deal. I think Shero's finally realized that his top 6 needs to be composed of guys who can contribute beyond the score sheet, while providing some physicality and size to open things up for Crosby and Malkin. Svatos' injury history:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/players/Marek_Svatos

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Please

Trade us for Ponikarosky???

Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 07:31 PM
boredmale

The Penguins every year will just have to go out on the market and find a few 2-4M wingers to fill those spots every year. The other alternative is trading Staal to free up some cap space and get a winger who will be on the team for the next 3-4 years

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 07:33 PM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotaGuitar View Post
GM's pay for potential and he's shown that he can get it done in the NHL. Sure the 56 goal season was probably a fluke, but a player with no offensive ability would never get that lucky. Playing on the 3rd line all of this year didn't help much either. At the end of the year, Cheech showed that he can still get it done when in the top 6 with an exceptional centerman. Don't expect the same kind of production he had during his RR year, but I could see him getting 25+ goals on a line with Crosby, I really could.

I'm glad it would be fine with you because I can't imagine a man as smart as Shero making a deal that stupid. Cheechoo and his contract are your problem.

I'm not high on the idea of bringing in Svatos either. Injury prone and one-dimensional. Not what we need.

Kovalev would be fantastic but, contrary to what his detractors think, he's still highly thought of and will get more money than we can afford.

I'd bring Guerin and Fedotenko back and then try to acquire a younger winger via trade. Somebody like Lisin or maybe even Nigel Dawes as a cheap fallback option.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 07:39 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I love the idea of Afinogenov playing with Malkin or Crosby. Not too many teams would be able to stop the dump and chase against that line. A good line to me looks like a Kunitz-Crosby-Afinogenov line. Has a little bit of everything. Physicality with Kunitz, speed with Afinogenov, then obvioiusly what Crosby can bring to the table.
Afinogenov doesn't dump and chase. While he will work along the boards if he has to, his game is carrying the puck in (even if it means going in 1-vs-4), skating around like a mad man to break down the defense, and then either a) not finishing, or b) turning the puck over. Although if he's really on his game he'll pass the puck and that's how in 05-06 and 06-07 he actually put up great numbers.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 07:49 PM
GeoffreyPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillow View Post
Tangradi.
You know, assuming his hand is better and all, which is not a guarantee by any means. Plus, rushing a rookie (Like Shero didn't do with Caputi when he showed some flashes while called up) might not be in the plans. I mean that is, one who has a pretty serious hand injury and all.

Luca Caputi would have been a better name to drop as far as our prospects as of this moment. No matter how much of a better prospect Tangradi may be.

GeoffreyPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 07:58 PM
b1235c

Two guys I would love to see in a pens uniform in particular order would be Alexandre Burrows 28 goals last year and only a cap hit of 2 mil, and Brad Boyes, he and Crosby would be amazing and a cap hit of 4 mil boy imagine those two players on the pens. I would love the powerplay Borrows-Crosby-Boyes
Gonchar-Malkin

b1235c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 08:03 PM
seanlinden

$46.8 million committed to 14 players says that the Penguins can't afford any more $2million+ wingers without clearing cap space. Assuming the same cap as last year, and $1million in cushion, thats $9million to sign 9 players. Generally you don't get full time NHLers for less than 750k so attempting to add players like Guerin or Fedotenko without subtracting really isn't an option.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 08:04 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylzzz View Post
Trade us for Ponikarosky???
I would do that as well.

Poni for the 60th overall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1235c View Post
Two guys I would love to see in a pens uniform in particular order would be Alexandre Burrows

Too bad he's on a bargain contract and Gillis would have to be on ecstasy to trade him for anything less than a huge overpayment.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 08:11 PM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
Enver Lisin....

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2009, 08:19 PM
ILuvLucic*