HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garrioch decides to pile on. Says Doan will become UFA if team relocates.

Old
06-14-2009, 01:56 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
I'm from Cincinnati, and you couldn't pay me enough money to move back to Ohio. Seriously I have actually passed threw Hamilton, their are no redeeming values to living their.
Yeah, well if I recall correctly Jovo gets pretty giddy about playing in Detroit because it's a homecoming for him. I don't know. I don't really care about Jovo in this. If he walks, we could get a similar player at a similar rate. Doan leaving without us getting some return for him via trade would be unthinkable.

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 02:02 PM
berklon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Jovo is from Windsor. Isn't that like an hour or two from Hamilton?
It's about 2 - 2.5 hours.

Hamilton's steeltown/industrial is only part of the city... there are some really nice areas in Hamilton - and it's been drawing a lot of people from the GTA the last few years.

Plus, it's not like Oakville or Toronto is very far away (between 30 - 45 minutes). Who says they can't live there while playing for Hamilton?

I don't think living in or around Hamilton is a deterrent except for maybe Doan - who's a veteran whose life and family are set in Phoenix. I don't blame him for not wanting to move and can see him wanting to play somewhere closer. He's a class act and has earned the right to decide where he wants to play IMO.

berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 02:08 PM
berklon

Quote:
I'm from Cincinnati, and you couldn't pay me enough money to move back to Ohio. Seriously I have actually passed threw Hamilton, their are no redeeming values to living their.
So you judge a city based on what you see when you pass through it? You'd have a different impresson of the city if you took the time to see all of it.

Old
06-14-2009, 02:20 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
Plus, it's not like Oakville or Toronto is very far away (between 30 - 45 minutes). Who says they can't live there while playing for Hamilton?
Hmmm...sort of like living in Scottsdale or Cave Creek and driving to Glendale.

Old
06-14-2009, 02:22 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
So you judge a city based on what you see when you pass through it? You'd have a different impresson of the city if you took the time to see all of it.
well I can't see everything on two family vacations. It is very much a steel town and growing up in the mid west I am very intimately knowledgeable about Gary, IN, Pittsburgh, PA, Allentown and the list goes on. Every city has pluses and minuses, good and bad, in my opinion Hamilton doesn't have more pluses than Phoenix, especially in January. IF the Valley had one competitive advantage over any other City in the League, it was the weather and Golf.

TeamTippett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 02:45 PM
berklon

Quote:
well I can't see everything on two family vacations. It is very much a steel town and growing up in the mid west I am very intimately knowledgeable about Gary, IN, Pittsburgh, PA, Allentown and the list goes on. Every city has pluses and minuses, good and bad, in my opinion Hamilton doesn't have more pluses than Phoenix, especially in January. IF the Valley had one competitive advantage over any other City in the League, it was the weather and Golf.
I can't say if Hamilton has more pluses than Arizona, but basically if players like playing in Toronto - then they'll like playing in Hamilton as it's close by. You get the best of both worlds here - you can have a quiet life in Hamilton while having a world-class city about 45 minutes away. And the big advantage is you'll be playing in the biggest hockey market in the world (Southern Ontario). The winters suck, but it's not the Arctic and it's about the same as Detroit, N.Y., Boston, etc. But many hockey players were born/raised and played Junior hockey in Canada - so it's not a total shock to the system with them anyways.

Old
06-14-2009, 03:04 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
I know a lot of the players live near Camelback Mountain. The driving distance would probably be about the same for most of the players.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 05:36 PM
zz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX FireBirds18 View Post
I know a lot of the players live near Camelback Mountain. The driving distance would probably be about the same for most of the players.
OT - The drive from PV to Westgate is the worst. No freeway nearby, you have to either take Glendale Av all the way (about 15 miles on surface street) or make huge detour to take the 101 or I10.

Anyway, Doan would probably get traded. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who really wants to make a statement. But most importantly, taking the matter to court and go to a US team via free agency would get him ripped to pieces in Canada. He could forget about 2010 Olympics. It'd be like giving his home country the middle finger.

With Doan's international resume - it would never happen. Unless he goes to another Canadian franchise. But since not one of them really has a good shot at the cup in the near future, I don't see the logic behind it.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 05:48 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
OT - The drive from PV to Westgate is the worst. No freeway nearby, you have to either take Glendale Av all the way (about 15 miles on surface street) or make huge detour to take the 101 or I10.

Anyway, Doan would probably get traded. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who really wants to make a statement. But most importantly, taking the matter to court and go to a US team via free agency would get him ripped to pieces in Canada. He could forget about 2010 Olympics. It'd be like giving his home country the middle finger.

With Doan's international resume - it would never happen. Unless he goes to another Canadian franchise. But since not one of them really has a good shot at the cup in the near future, I don't see the logic behind it.
Canadians need to get their heads examined IF their going to demonize this guy under these circumstances to ask for a trade.

Old
06-14-2009, 06:14 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
I don't see how he has a case. His contract isn't being moved.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 06:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Unless he goes to another Canadian franchise. But since not one of them really has a good shot at the cup in the near future, I don't see the logic behind it.
Vancouver does. They have Luongo, and nobody else does. Add Doan to the Sedins(all three members of that line would put up 90ish points), and combine that with a very, very good group of defensemen(Edler is already better than Ohlund, and we now know what Bieksa is capable of when he's healthy) and some quality forward depth in guys like Sundin(if he'll take a pay cut), Demitra(20ish goals), Kesler(25ish goals), Burrows(30ish goals), Bernier, Wellwood, Raymond, Hodgson, ect. and I think they can contend, for sure. Whether or not they can afford all of that, I have no idea, but something could probably be worked out.

Last edited by rt: 06-14-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old
06-14-2009, 06:57 PM
The Feckless Puck
Consumer of Timbits

vCash: 737
Quote:
Nuh-uhhhhh... according to published sources, a trip from Scottsdale/Cave Creek to Glendale and back requires riding camels uphill both ways in blinding sandstorms and evading hostile Bedouins brandishing serrated golf clubs and shuffleboard sticks.

Additionally, if you live in Paradise Valley (as I used to), you have to tack on a grinding, soulless five-minute detour up to the 101 to take the loop around to Westgate - and I'm told that the detour alone will kill you.

It makes those two-hour commutes up in Canada through blizzard conditions look like child's play.

The Feckless Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 06:59 PM
Jake16

Quote:
. IF the Valley had one competitive advantage over any other City in the League, it was the weather and Golf.
sorry ...and the beautiful women.

(unless barbie dolls aren't your thing).

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 07:03 PM
The Feckless Puck
Consumer of Timbits

Quote:
Canadians need to get their heads examined IF their going to demonize this guy under these circumstances to ask for a trade.
They already demonize him because of allegations of anti-French sentiments that were officially disproved. How much crazier would this be?

Hell, some of these folks think Gretzky is a race traitor because he decided to live in LA year-round.

Old
06-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Kaizen

race traitor?

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2009, 08:06 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake16 View Post

VERY True, I will put our "talent" up against any Canadian town However in terms of luring UFA, typically their older an married and less interested in hanging out in places like: the ***** Cat Lounge, Axis, Stone Rose etc. Again I said it last spring, should have exploited this competitive advantage with Wheeler.

EDIT: Why did it sensor the word *****? it's the actual name of a bar, not a vulgar reference.

Last edited by TeamTippett: 06-14-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old
06-14-2009, 08:59 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
VERY True, I will put our "talent" up against any Canadian town.
They say Montreal is world-class in that department.

Old
06-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Jake16

Quote:
[U]/U]***** Cat Lounge,
EDIT: Why did it sensor the word *****? it's the actual name of a bar, not a vulgar reference.
Owned by none else but Scottsdale's own, Jenna Jameson

Last edited by Jake16: 06-14-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old
06-14-2009, 09:14 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Owned by Scottsdale's own, Jenna Jameson
I thought she owned Babes? either way Jake your right.

Getting back OT, Jake any sense whats going down this week? Will Baum rule tomorrow?

Old
06-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Jake16

Quote:

Getting back OT, Jake any sense whats going down this week? Will Baum rule tomorrow?
1. She owns that too.

2. I would expect a decision tomorrow given the Judge's timeline, but who knows.

Old
06-14-2009, 09:51 PM
The Feckless Puck
Consumer of Timbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
race traitor?
Believe it or not, but yes, I have actually heard someone use that exact term referencing Gretzky.

I'm sure (at least, I hope) the fellow in question is a solo artist in terms of his Gretzky-hatred but there seems to be quite a lobby of folks who consider TGO to be one step removed from Benedict Arnold.

Old
06-15-2009, 12:03 AM
zz

Quote:
Vancouver does. They have Luongo, and nobody else does. [...]
I guess. But something about the Canucks looks weak to me. I don't find their defense particularly impressive. Luongo needs to be at his best to give them a shot, and it seems like teams that rely too much on their goalie don't have it as easy as they used to. Lundqvist almost stole the show and was completely unreal, yet he couldn't do it all by himself.

And as far as the Sedins are concerned, I thought they were likely to be traded?

Quote:
I'm not saying he wouldn't be traded, merely stating he probably wouldn't go to court for breach of contract. 2 very different things. Honestly, if he did go to court to make sure the franchise couldn't get anything for him, I'd understand the Canadian frustration. Think of how frustrated we are that Selanne got traded before the Jets moved. Now imagine if Selanne was American, and not only forced the trade, but made sure the Jets couldn't get a thing in return. How would you feel?

Quote:

Yes, Scottsdale has world-class silicon implants.

I'll take Montreal's charming indigenous women any day of the week, thank you very much.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 12:33 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

A note to everyone: this thread seems to be in danger of veering off-topic in more ways than one.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 02:06 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
PCL is not a nudie bar, though.

Old
06-15-2009, 02:22 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
And as far as the Sedins are concerned, I thought they were likely to be traded?
Huh? Their contracts are up this summer, but I would imagine the Canucks will do all they can to get them signed. The rumor I heard was ten years and fifty million for each of them. They get the security of not having to leave Vancouver unless it's on their terms and the Canucks lock up a couple of guys who have essentially been point per game players(while also being very good two-way guys) the last four or five years for only five million a piece.

If that's true, and you throw Doan on that line, it's almost a given that your going to have three guys putting up at least a point per game(while being extemely good both ways), and none with a cap hit over five million(what other teams can you say that about?). Doan would really be an ideal fit, style-wise, for the line, as well.

Then you've got a potential second line of Burrows-Kesler-Demitra. All whom had at least twenty goals last season, with Burrows nearly potting thirty. Again, pretty good two-way line, as well, that could potentially get you seventy five goals, or so, between the three of them.

Guys like Pyatt, Bernier, Raymond, Wellwood, ect. are pretty decent depth options to fill out the rest of the forward core.

Even if Ohlund walks, I say they have a pretty damn solid D core from one to six.

Then, of course, the best goaltender in the NHL.

Not bad.

Then again, they are my #2 team, so maybe there is a little bias there.