HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Cote vs Godard

View Poll Results: Cote vs Godard
Cote 13 35.14%
Godard 24 64.86%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-15-2009, 05:10 AM
4rde

vCash: 500
Cote vs Godard

So me and my buddy were arguing who is better. I'd like to hear your opinions, which one of these 2 grinders are better?

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 07:54 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Godard is definitely the better fighter. Cote's main attribute is having a great chin. Godard can go toe to toe just like Cote, but he has knockout power that Cote lacks and the intimidation factor that goes with it. In terms of playing? It's a toss up. But I'd rather have Godard for his fighting ability.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:19 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Godard is a better fighter, but He also is a stupid player and takes horrible penalties for goating and puts his team down a man a lot. Rather have Cote to play a shift, but Godard for a fight

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Godard is a better fighter, but He also is a stupid player and takes horrible penalties for goating and puts his team down a man a lot. Rather have Cote to play a shift, but Godard for a fight
That's not really true at all. Godard had 66 PIMs that weren't fighting majors this year, Cote had 64. Cote also played 8 fewer games. And some of Godard's penalties are from things like going after Andre Deveaux in a game where the Pens were getting shellacked and Deveaux was taking shots at people. You want your enforcer doing that and you'll take the PIMs that come with it. Or when he fought Boris Valabik out of a scrum and everyone involved got 10. In terms of being goaded into stuff, Godard is good about it. This isn't Andre Roy we're talking about. He's a nice balance of knowing when to go and at the same time being just crazy enough to keep people honest.

If there's a chance of Godard taking more bad penalties than Cote, it's a small one, and one I'll take for the additional intimidation that Godard brings to line up. Cote has a ton of heart and I respect him for standing in there the way he does, but Godard is more valuable.

Old
06-15-2009, 01:46 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Watch the pens first 2 games this year from europe, and then come back again. In both of those games he was in the penalty box for goals against for horrible penalties if I recall correctly. Kind of stained his season for me.

and im going to go and take out offsetting roughings/unsportsmanlike and 10 minute misconducts aswell, ill post it when im done

Cote's un offsetting minors: 6 times all year. That's paltry.

Godard's :14

So Godard has taken over double Cote's numbers. yes cote played 8 less games but that only averages to around 1 more penalty.

I forgot to check all the majors for boarding/whatever non offsetting ones, But I dont recall either getting any this year

Last edited by HoverCarle*: 06-15-2009 at 02:03 PM.
HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 02:48 PM
johnunit

Send a message via MSN to johnunit
Godard in a fight, Cote in an actual shift. Are we talking about actual play or a fight?

johnunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 04:43 PM
AK

Both are poor excuses for hockey players, but I think Cote is less likely to cost his team a game sometime down the line than Godard is.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Watch the pens first 2 games this year from europe, and then come back again. In both of those games he was in the penalty box for goals against for horrible penalties if I recall correctly. Kind of stained his season for me.

and im going to go and take out offsetting roughings/unsportsmanlike and 10 minute misconducts aswell, ill post it when im done

Cote's un offsetting minors: 6 times all year. That's paltry.

Godard's :14

So Godard has taken over double Cote's numbers. yes cote played 8 less games but that only averages to around 1 more penalty.

I forgot to check all the majors for boarding/whatever non offsetting ones, But I dont recall either getting any this year

Those two calls were weak, he was trying to challenge Neil and somehow got ticky tacky holding or hooking penalties if I recall. It's silly to judge his whole season based on that.

On the whole shift thing? They're enforcers, that's why you want them out there, to calm things down or spark the team with a fight or do some policing. I'll take the guy that does it better.

Old
06-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Gimme Cote. Tough as nails, better skater, tons of energy.

Godard is a better puncher but I give Cote the edge in everything else.

Boxscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 06:59 PM
BGDDYKWL

While it's an interesting discussion, ultimately it comes down to one thing IMO. Cote almost doesn't serve a role as he loses to virtually all heavies, and he's not better than Godard to the point where he can skate a regular shift on the 4th line. While Godard is even worse and may take more bad penalties, he at least serves the role of heavyweight enforcer very well. I'd take Godard.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 07:45 PM
ELab2

neither are grinders, they're fighters. They can't play... at all. Cote showed some promise 2 years ago to be a decent 4th liner but he took a step back. Give me the better fighter and Godard.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Fighter-Godard

Player-Cote, easily

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 04:24 PM
maxdanno115

godard

maxdanno115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 04:43 PM
Talentless Practise*

Cote sucks at the only thing he does. Godard doesn't.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote