HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kaberle for Johnson

Old
06-15-2009, 10:30 AM
grabo84

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrew View Post
It has been said SO many times, he's not looking for 5mil.
Does anybody know for sure though? Kings fans say this all the time, but I haven't seen any reports, so I don't know for sure what he wants. If he wants over 3 M, he's asking for too much IMO.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:34 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
Does anybody know for sure though? Kings fans say this all the time, but I haven't seen any reports, so I don't know for sure what he wants. If he wants over 3 M, he's asking for too much IMO.
I've seen it attributed to Lombardi, so it seems pretty legitimate.
As for 3mil, it depends on the terms. 2 years 6 mil is a good deal, but 5 years 15 mil, he can do far better.
5 years, I would pay him 18-20. He's going to be a hard hitting, solid defensive, 45-60 point dman.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:35 AM
hockeylove

Except for a terrible last month the LA Kings were a competitive team last year.

They were within 3 points of a playoff spot through the first 65 Games. Yes they bombed the last month but i wouldn't call that "nowhere" close to the playoffs.

An elite, veteran puck moving defenseman like Kaberle will get you another 4 or 5 wins. That added onto the fact that this is a young developing team which is getting better and better should be enough alone to get the Kings into the playoffs next year. That's not even considering any other moves they may make in the offseason or at the trade deadline next year.

hockeylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:40 AM
hockeylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcrew View Post
He's going to be a hard hitting, solid defensive, 45-60 point dman.

Wow so basically he'll be a top 10 to top 3 defenseman in the League? Thats pretty much his ABSOLUTE maxing out potential. It's incredible how easily people throw out the upper potential of young player as if it's a sure thing.

hockeylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:01 AM
nally

Quote:
And yeah, I agree that Kaberle + 7th could get Johnson + 5th. I wouldn't be too upset if Burke did it, mostly because I trust him to make the right choice on Johnson, but its not a trade I'd want to make.
Kaberle and the 7th for JJ and probably Schenn would be alright I guess. IF JJ becomes what he can become TO wins that deal and gets WAAY tougher. Right up the alley for Burke

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:04 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylove View Post
If the trade between Anaheim and LA for Pronger doesn't work how about the following:

To Toronto:

Jack Johnson, 5th overall

To L.A.

Kaberle, 2nd round pick, Stralman and Poni

If the package from Toronto is not enough Kaberle + 7th overall?
Drop the 5th overall OR add the 7th overall.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

I doubt L.A does any trade involving them both unless they get a Heatly or Vinny in return but they might consider something like this

Johnson, 5th
FOR
Kabs, Poni, Garbo, 2nd

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:07 AM
mgeise

Kaberle and the 7th for Johnson and the 5th seems like pretty good value and helps both teams. The Kings don't really have any big organizational need that they HAVE to fill with that 5th overall pick, so dropping down two spots won't affect them as much as it would the other teams in that position. Kaberle is a proven defenceman who can mentor their young guys, specifically Doughty. Johnson is overrated in my opinion, but he would be force fed minutes in Toronto and would be given an opportunity to show what he's worth. He still is young and has a lot of room to grow. The Leafs get into perfect position to grab Brayden Schenn. It makes sense from both sides, imo.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:08 AM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by juice1815 View Post
I doubt L.A does any trade involving them both unless they get a Heatly or Vinny in return but they might consider something like this

Johnson, 5th
FOR
Kabs, Poni, Garbo, 2nd
The Leafs' first is going to have to be involved in these deals. Quality>quantity

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:14 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleta36 View Post
The Leafs' first is going to have to be involved in these deals.
Yes, or the Kings first will not be. Kaberle is so crazy overrated by fans of one team, and so crazy underrated by the fans of the other twenty nine teams. Leafs fans seem to want lottery picks along with blue chip prospects for him and nobody else is willing to part with more than late firsts or early seconds and B level prospects, in any of these trade threads. I think his value is somewhere between the outrageous demands of Leafs fans and the low-ball offers of everyone else. Probably much closer to what other fans are willing to give than what Leafs fans are hoping to recieve, however.

Last edited by rt: 06-15-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old
06-15-2009, 11:21 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Yes, or the Kings first will not be. Kaberle is so crazy overrated by fans of one team, and so crazy underrated by the fans of the other twenty nine teams. Leafs fans seem to want lottery picks along with blue chip prospects for him and nobody else is willing to part with more than late firsts or early seconds and B level prospects, in any of these trade threads. I think his value is somewhere between the outrageous demands of Leafs fans and the low-ball offers of everyone else. Probably much closer to what other fans are willing to give than what Leafs fans are hoping to recieve, however.
don't go there---that really winds them up and cuases them to go off the deep end

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:24 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vagabond View Post
don't go there---that really winds them up and cuases them to go off the deep end
No. rt was completely reasonable, and I agree with him. That said, I've never asked for lottery picks for Kaberle, so clearly i'm (and most other normal Leafs fans) not who he's talking about. The return he spelled out is exactly what I expect.

What winds me up is when Oilers fans try to tell me that Gilbert is equal to Kaberle.

Old
06-15-2009, 11:25 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Perhaps bolding the second part of the same sentence would help in avoiding such reactions.

Old
06-15-2009, 11:28 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
No. rt was completely reasonable, and I agree with him. That said, I've never asked for lottery picks for Kaberle, so clearly i'm (and most other normal Leafs fans) not who he's talking about. The return he spelled out is exactly what I expect.

What winds me up is when Oilers fans try to tell me that Gilbert is equal to Kaberle.
Well I am not one of those

Gilbert is still developing and lets look at them in two years---Once Gilbert gets better in his own zone and tweeks his transition game--then the fun begins

Old
06-15-2009, 11:32 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Anywho, since I'm not a fan of any of the teams involved, and won't get angered by the insane replies bound to ensue, what could we throw together that could also factor the Pronger to LA rumors into this thread? Anything where by LA ends up with Pronger, and the fifteenth overall, Anaheim gets Kaberle and the seventh overall, and the Leafs get Jack Johnson and the fifth overall? The idea kind of being the team who ends up with the better defenseman gets the lower pick, and the team that gets the higher pick ends up with the less proven defenseman. This way LA gets Pronger(if the rumors are true, I guess they really want him) and also get a little more compensation(the rumors don't include the fifteenth), Anaheim gets a cheaper replacement for the top-pairing, and an upgraded pick, and the re-building Leafs get the youngest defenseman involved, as well as their crack at Brayden Schenn.

Old
06-15-2009, 11:59 AM
seanlinden

Kaberle is better than JJ; no question about that....how much more valuable comes down to whether you believe that JJ is a future top pairing guy or just a #3.

But, it it doesn't really make sense for the Kings because Doughty looks to be developing into a player much like Kaberle.... and you don't play 2 guys like that together. The kings also want players who are going to be around a long time.

From the Leafs side, there's no real incentive to move Kaberle for a project unless a significant additional asset is coming back.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Northern Dancer

Quote:
it is like night and day the difference between Pronger and Kabelrle--Pronger will be geting some consideration for the hall of fame and Kaberle--not so much. Kaberle and TO's first could get ya Joihnson and the 5th
Funny how they were almost traded for each other a couple of short years ago then..

Northern Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 12:54 PM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Dancer View Post
Funny how they were almost traded for each other a couple of short years ago then..
Along with Steen, who was very valuable at the time.

Old
06-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Kingjordan

Kings are not trading Johnson and 5th overall for that... Kaberle is way over hyped. just like every player on fav teams

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:05 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjordan View Post
Kings are not trading Johnson and 5th overall for that... Kaberle is way over hyped. just like every player on fav teams
Yeah leaf fans will disagree and will suggest that you are a leaf hater and an oiler fan

Old
06-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Cleatus

Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
Here's an idea that I have...

To Los Angelas: Tomas Kaberle, a 2009 1st round draft pick (7th overall), and Matt Stajan.
To Toronto: Jack Johnson, and a 2009 1st round draft pick (5th overall).

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:18 PM
Tyler Myers

JJ is a good player, but not sure if the toronto market is good for his development tho

Tyler Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:19 PM
IWD

Thanks, but no thanks. Johnson is your problem.

I already know what the response will be. "Fine, we'll keep him then." Good, you keep Johnson, and we'll keep Kaberle. Everyone is happy.

Time to lock this thread, boys!

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:29 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylove View Post
Wow so basically he'll be a top 10 to top 3 defenseman in the League? Thats pretty much his ABSOLUTE maxing out potential. It's incredible how easily people throw out the upper potential of young player as if it's a sure thing.
I see him turning into a Kronwall type player. A little less solid offensively, but that type.
Do you consider Kronwall to be a top 3 dman in the league? The only thing he's top 3 in is Detroit defensmen. Don't blow things out of proportion.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:32 PM
Kingjordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azazel View Post
Thanks, but no thanks. Johnson is your problem.

I already know what the response will be. "Fine, we'll keep him then." Good, you keep Johnson, and we'll keep Kaberle. Everyone is happy.

Time to lock this thread, boys!

Just curious What makes Johnson a problem?

Kingjordan is offline   Reply With Quote