HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Philly-Boston

Old
06-15-2009, 11:15 AM
C77

vCash: 500
I still don't think it's such a bad proposal.

It clears up close to $2 million for Philly and in conjunction with another trade or two would help to give the Flyers the room they need to sign a guy like Bouwmeester.

As for Boston with the issue of Kessel....It comes down to what Chiarelli thinks Kessel is worth. There's no sense for Chia to pay a player more than what he thinks that player is worth. It's not a matter of...."well they could have given that extra money to Kessel" it's a matter of Kessel's value.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:21 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Not only is it awful value-wise, Gagne is the longest-tenured Flyer, has a NTC, and has repeatedly stated he would like to remain a Flyer his whole career. He's still a tremendous player and Boston and Philadelphia look to be top teams in the conference for the next few years, so the Flyers wouldn't try to create cap room by making a potential playoff opponent more dangerous.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:22 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post

It clears up close to $2 million for Philly and in conjunction with another trade or two would help to give the Flyers the room they need to sign a guy like Bouwmeester.

As for Boston with the issue of Kessel....It comes down to what Chiarelli thinks Kessel is worth. There's no sense for Chia to pay a player more than what he thinks that player is worth. It's not a matter of...."well they could have given that extra money to Kessel" it's a matter of Kessel's value.

Our 70 point first line winger isn't where we are going to clear salary.
We could save more space by waiving Jones than doing this deal. Let's see, Gagne + 2.75M in cap space or Marco Sturm + 2nd 10 + 1.75M in cap space. Not a hard decision.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:25 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:

Please note: The views expressed by this particular Bruins fan do not...I repeat, do not...necessarily reflect the views of the fan base.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:28 AM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
Please note: The views expressed by this particular Bruins fan do not...I repeat, do not...necessarily reflect the views of the fan base.
oh very clever...

Old
06-15-2009, 11:39 AM
C77

Yes Gagne is the better player.

I just think with the situation the Flyers are in regarding the salary cap they might look to move him. I don't think he would refuse to waive his no trade clause and I think the same is true with Sturm. Players realize the salary cap forces GM's to make moves they wouldn't have in the past.

Right now, Gagne's value is high because he had a comeback year after having 3 concussions just last season so if the Flyers decided to move him...now would be a good time.

Old
06-15-2009, 11:42 AM
COMCASTMONEY
pay ya cable bills.

Quote:

I just think with the situation the Flyers are in regarding the salary cap they might look to move him.
Matt Carle makes $3.4 million
Randy Jones makes $2.75 million
Joffrey Lupul makes $4.25 million

If we need to clear cap space, Gagne is not even close to the first place we look. OK?

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:44 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:

I just think with the situation the Flyers are in regarding the salary cap they might look to move him. I don't think he would refuse to waive his no trade clause and I think the same is true with Sturm. Players realize the salary cap forces GM's to make moves they wouldn't have in the past.

Right now, Gagne's value is high because he had a comeback year after having 3 concussions just last season so if the Flyers decided to move him...now would be a good time.
Gagne is the better player by a mile. You seem to be down-playing how much better he is than Sturm...

We do have a problem with the cap, but trading a 28 year old All-Star (usually, anyway) left winger who is pretty well defensively at a decent contract isn't the way to shed 2 million in space..... It just isn't. You wouldn't do it if he was your guy. We can move Lupul before we move Gagne, and it'd be a 100x's better decision.

Like I said before (and others as well), the only way Gags gets moved is if some stud D-Man or goaltender comes back the other way, and that's it. No 20-25 goal scorers.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:46 AM
twenty2

Quote:

Please stop.

1. Gagne isn't the first player we look to move.
2. We could certainly get a better deal for Gagne somewhere else than what you're offering.
3. Every time somebody wants Gagne from our roster his concussion number automatically goes up by 1-2 concussions.
4. Now when we're a contender and Briere is likely to be healthy it makes sense to move one of our top 4 forwards for scraps? Compared to a 40+ goal scoring 28 year old two-way forward what you are offering is in fact scraps.
5. The salary space gained is nowhere near worth the difference in the two players.
6. We're not in cap trouble until next season if the cap does in fact nose dive as has been speculated.

twenty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:51 AM
WreckItRask

Quote:

I don't necessarily disagree with you that Philly might look to trade him...anything is possible in a salary cap NHL. Nobody is really arguing that. But your proposal is crap. That's the problem. Gagne is an high level NHL talent, and NHL teams don't give away high level NHL talent just because they're up against it financially. I get so frustrated when this board gets littered with crappy proposals for guys like Kessel, Bergeron, and Krejci (before he was signed) with the rationale of "you're up against the cap so our GM has the right to bend over your GM and there's nothing you can do about it." Well, this proposal is just that...but for Philly fans. Gagne, contract/cap status/NTC and all, is worth so much more than what you're proposing it's not even funny.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 12:20 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:

This is like saying the Bruins should trade Marc Savard for Stephen Weiss and a 2nd round pick. The Bruins need to clear cap space, right? They clear 2M in this deal!!!!! This is extremely smart of them, instead of just trading Aaron Ward for a pick, and clearing more space. Your logic makes no sense.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Heaters not lazt*

If by Sturm you mean Kessel. I'm a Bruins fan, but Sturm, coming off an injnury, doesn't have much more value than a 2nd round pick... Probably less.

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 02:17 PM
AC Le Rock

Hey Philly, I tell you what, you give me your top winger who's a former all star and scores 30-40 goals a year, for uhh...well...wait, this isn't Mike Milburry on the phone is it?

Terrible proposal.

AC Le Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:

It clears up close to $2 million for Philly.
$2 million in cap space could be made by just sticking Jones in the minors. Flyers have no need for more forwards - they actually probably need to unload at least one.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 02:44 PM
McNasty

Quote:

2 million dollars in cap space is not worth the gaping hole losing Gagne would create in the lineup.

McNasty is online now   Reply With Quote