HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

list of possible Heatley destinations

Old
06-15-2009, 11:35 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
list of possible Heatley destinations

1) there have been numerous threads and proposals, but it seems unlikely that many teams can take on Heatley's contract without sending a lot of money back.

Financially, which teams have the ability to add a 7.5 mill long term contract?

2) Heatley is owed 4 mill on July 1 and the Sens are pushing to trade him prior to that date.

Financially, which teams will take on that 4 mill hit without causing the owners to wince?

3) The Sedins, Hossa, Gaborik, Havlat, and Camerelli are all ufa and could easily be in the top 10 scoring next year. All could outscore Dany and would be free to the highest bidder without giving up any assets. 7.5 mill probably is enough to sign any of them. Dany is probably the 9th best option based on what you have to give up?

Which teams have the cap space, the burning need at top line forward, and are such an unattractive destination that they will trade for Heatley instead of signing one of the big ufa this off season?

given these three factors and the list of teams on Dany's approval list, which teams are likely destinations for Heatley?

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:39 AM
8BostonRocker24

Dallas makes the most sense to me... but I don't think they're after him.

Tom Hicks would laugh at a $4.0 million bonus

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:41 AM
CloutierForVezina

Edmonton is the most likely to pick him up before July 1st, because their owner is filthy rich and would be perfectly fine taking on Heatley's 4 million in bonuses if it meant greater benefit for the club.

Aside from Edmonton, I really don't see any other team jumping to trade for him before July 1st. After July 1st, I think the serious contenders will be LA (If the Pronger deal completely fell through), mayyybe SJ and Calgary. Vancouver is a dark horse if a couple of peices fall into place. I really don't see any other team having a legitamate shot at acquiring him.

1a)Edmonton
1b)LA
3) SJ
4) Calgary
5) Vancouver

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Milan the God*
king karlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post

It's not a bonus. You pay him 4 million up front on July 1st and then the other 4 million throughout the rest of the season.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Zal

I just don't see Lombardi and Heatley getting along that well. It's fairly safe to say he wouldn't be welcomed by the LA management.

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:46 AM
TheHMan

The 4 million bonus is more like an advance on his salary. He gets paid half of his years salary up front in a lump sum. He's not being paid 7.5M + 4M, it's actually just 7M per year he gets paid (on average).

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Ceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post

3) The Sedins, Hossa, Gaborik, Havlat, and Camerelli are all ufa and could easily be in the top 10 scoring next year. All could outscore Dany and would be free to the highest bidder without giving up any assets. 7.5 mill probably is enough to sign any of them. Dany is probably the 9th best option based on what you have to give up?
I guess it depends how you look at it. I would argue Heatley is pretty much at the top of that list if he was an FA. The only 2 i'd say are close are Daniel Sedin and Hossa.

This is a good point though: Because these other guys are FA's it certainly impacts people's willing ness to trade for Heatley.

To consider: If the Sedins leave, Vancouver will be looking to spalsh money on someone like Heatley up front. Same with Chicago and Havlat.

I don't think the 4 mil. bonus is a sticking point. It's the same as if he was getting paid his 8 mil this year, just a bunch of it up front. Lets sya Murray wants a 2009 draft pick, and finds a take for Heatley who doesn't want to pay the lump sum. Make a reasonable pre-drfat trade for the pick, and then trade the assets back for Heatley on July 2nd. It's not too hard to creatively work around this "problem"

Ceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:52 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
Edmonton is the most likely to pick him up before July 1st, because their owner is filthy rich and would be perfectly fine taking on Heatley's 4 million in bonuses if it meant greater benefit for the club.

Aside from Edmonton, I really don't see any other team jumping to trade for him before July 1st. After July 1st, I think the serious contenders will be LA (If the Pronger deal completely fell through), mayyybe SJ and Calgary. Vancouver is a dark horse if a couple of peices fall into place. I really don't see any other team having a legitamate shot at acquiring him.

1a)Edmonton
1b)LA
3) SJ
4) Calgary
5) Vancouver
I think the first 3 are legit but Calgary is approaching cap hell already. The have almost 46 mill committed to 16 guys including 2 rookie dmen for next year. Sutter has been talking about his prioroity being reducing GA, not chasing GF so Heatley is the last guy he would seem to be interested in.

Vancouver is still prioritizing the Sedins. Signing those to to a 13 mill combined salary puts them at over 47 mill committed to 15 guys.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:55 AM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
I think the first 3 are legit but Calgary is approaching cap hell already. The have almost 46 mill committed to 16 guys including 2 rookie dmen for next year. Sutter has been talking about his prioroity being reducing GA, not chasing GF so Heatley is the last guy he would seem to be interested in.

Vancouver is still prioritizing the Sedins. Signing those to to a 13 mill combined salary puts them at over 47 mill committed to 15 guys.
I agree completely. I just added in Calgary there because a lot of people seem to think Phaneuf should be traded after 1 bad year that he was injured for parts of it.

And the sedins would have to walk for Vancouver to even consider looking at Heatley. I also think Bouwmeester would have to sign with them so they can then turn around and make one of Bieksa, Mitchell, Salo or (Hopefully not) Edler expandable in a trade to Ottawa.

Old
06-15-2009, 12:03 PM
Chaos

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:

Why? They don't need a one dimensional forward(even though he's great at it) at 7.5 million, especially when it would almost certainly cost Richards to fit him in. And he's a LW, something the Stars already have too many of.

-Vagrant
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 12:12 PM
TheHMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post
Why? They don't need a one dimensional forward(even though he's great at it) at 7.5 million, especially when it would almost certainly cost Richards to fit him in. And he's a LW, something the Stars already have too many of.
He can also play the RW as he did at the worlds. He's a fairly versatile guy and he can shoot from almost anywhere on the ice and any position. The reason he plays LW in Ottawa is because Spezza is a right handed passer and he can make a forehand pass much easier to Heatley.

Still don't think Dallas is an ideal trading partner though.

Old
06-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:

Dallas has an arsenal of LW and to add another would be crazy.

Have to put Montreal in the list...They have been linked to every single FA since 1980.

Last edited by Sony Eriksson*: 06-15-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Don't think they'll be re-signed for $13 million but let's assume for the moment that the do....

For those 15 guys....

Starting goalie, five top six forwards (one can argue their quality in another thread), five bottom six forwards, and four top four defensement (one can argue about whether an upgrade is needed in another thread).

meh, *ALOT* more teams are in worse cap shape than that. $8 million to spend on a top six forward, one bottom six forward, and two bottom pairing defensemen (one of whom - O'Brian will roughly make what he made last season - $1 million) & a backup goalie.

Last edited by Barney Gumble: 06-15-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 12:39 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post

1a)Edmonton
1b)LA
3) SJ
4) Calgary
5) Vancouver
Edmonton might want Heatley, but the feeling is probably not mutual.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Edmonton/2009/06/14/9794001-sun.html

Quote:
League sources say the Oilers are one of the two teams that have contacted Senators GM Bryan Murray about the disgruntled Ottawa winger, but the indications are Edmonton might not be at the top of Heatley's list of destinations he'd like to land.
The Heatley request is a power play. He wants to chose where he'd like to play. And i'm sure there are people out there that believe Heatley would waive his NTC to be traded to Edmonton, but i'm not one of them.

One would think that LA could work a trade, but why would they trade away significant pieces when they have the cap space to land any high-scoring free agent they choose anyways?

imo San Jose has the will and motivation to pull off a deal. But they have to convince Marleau to waive his NTC. Even then, they'll still have cap problems.

Calgary could pull off a deal, but after last season's debacle, you'd think that Sutter will be just a wee bit more cap-conscious next season.

Vancouver has to decide whether or not to keep the Sedins. If they don't, then maybe a Heatley deal will be necessary for them to maintain any kind of offense. But then who's his center? Wellwood?

San Jose makes the most sense, but there are some stumbling blocks, for sure.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:09 PM
bobhabs46

Here's the list of the team that Dany Heatley want to play next season

http://www.corussports.com/hockey/li...5-1605781.html

bobhabs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:19 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhabs46 View Post

Speculation, right?

Still, it looks like San Jose, if they can get it done.

Old
06-15-2009, 01:20 PM
TheHMan

Quote:

It references an article in the Citizen that says this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Citizen
There is no shortage of rumours about teams that might be interested in Heatley, including the Los Angeles Kings, St. Louis Blues, Dallas Stars, San Jose Sharks, Edmonton Oilers and Calgary Flames and Boston Bruins. There is also speculation that the Montreal Canadiens might deal defenceman Mike Komisarek and that the Florida Panthers would give up defenceman Jay Bouwmeester as part of a package for Heatley. Both Komisarek and Bouwmeester are to become unrestricted free agents on July 1, plus it would be unlikely that Murray would give Heatley to the Canadiens and risk watching him bury the Senators several times each season.
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...460/story.html

It's not a confirmed list, but probably a list of names that have been floating around and likely destinations. I would also think that possible destinations for Heatley would also be a little bit bigger as interest continues to grow.

EDIT: There is also this: http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/edm090614.html

Los Angeles Kings
Vancouver Canucks
New York Rangers
St. Louis Blues
Dallas Stars
San Jose Sharks
Edmonton Oilers
Calgary Flames
Boston Bruins
Florida Panthers
Minnesota Wild

Last edited by TheHMan: 06-15-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old
06-15-2009, 01:24 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Speculation, right?

Still, it looks like San Jose, if they can get it done.
Isn't the article you linked written by Bruce "Malkin to the Kings" Garrioch?

Old
06-15-2009, 01:30 PM
JestersDead

Garrioch is just as reliable as Eklund, Staples, or even Strickland... Totally useless when it comes to Journalism...

It's shocking how much users on most forums believe these twits.

Just as shocking to how many more Heatley forums are needed out there.

JestersDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:30 PM
surshot*

Quote:

The Heatley request is a power play. He wants to chose where he'd like to play. And i'm sure there are people out there that believe Heatley would waive his NTC to be traded to Edmonton, but i'm not one of them.

One would think that LA could work a trade, but why would they trade away significant pieces when they have the cap space to land any high-scoring free agent they choose anyways?

imo San Jose has the will and motivation to pull off a deal. But they have to convince Marleau to waive his NTC. Even then, they'll still have cap problems.

Calgary could pull off a deal, but after last season's debacle, you'd think that Sutter will be just a wee bit more cap-conscious next season.

Vancouver has to decide whether or not to keep the Sedins. If they don't, then maybe a Heatley deal will be necessary for them to maintain any kind of offense. But then who's his center? Wellwood?

Since when is Garrioch a credible source?

He never even said the Oilers were not on the list. All he said is that there not his number one preferance. I am sure Murrey is just waiting for the day he can appease Heatley and trade him to the team he wants to play on despite what that team has to offer. It was a low blow article with out any substance or credible journalism.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:39 PM
kingpest19

Quote:

Because they arent in a position yet to be attracting FA's without having to overpay for them. If they get could a guy like Heatley in a trade that doesnt hurt the team too much they'd serioulsy take a long hard look at it, if not pull the trigger on it.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:41 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:

Dallas - I can't see how they can take on Heatley's contract without trading Richards, which I doubt they do (they'd also have to find a 3rd party to be willing to acquire Richards, as I can't see the Sens wanting him).

St. Louis - I don't think they pay the price. They have a young team that just made it to the playoffs, and I doubt they give up one or two of their promising young players (ex. Oshie, Boyes, Backes, Perron, etc) for Heatley. They'd be better off developing those players and becoming a contender in a year or two.

Kings - It's possible, they have the young talent (ex. Frolov, Johnson, Brown, Doughty, etc), but again, wouldn't they be better off keeping their young players and challenging for the cup in a few years?

San Jose - Makes sense, but only if they can move Thornton or Marleau. Personally, I don't want to see Marleau come to Ottawa, as he'd be redundant between Spezza on the 1st line and Fisher on the 3rd line. I suspect SJ would be more inclined to trade Thornton, especially after his disappearing act in the playoffs, but again, is it a good idea to have Spezza and Thornton (who are very similar players, aside from confidence in the playoffs) on the same team?

Calgary - I can't see it happening unless Phaneuf goes the other way, and I can't see Calgary giving up Phaneuf. He's one bad season removed from being a Norris nominee. Before this year, he was mentioned in the same breath as Crosby and Ovechkin. I doubt Calgary gives up on him.

Edmonton - The most likely IMO. They have the young talent, and because they didn't make the playoffs, I can see a few of their young guys traded (ex. O'Sullivan and Cogliano). Gagner and Hemsky are the only untouchables I would guess, and they are desperate for a 1st line franchise forward.

Vancouver - They have their own franchise players to resign in the Sedins, but even if Vancouver was interested, would they really be able to pay the price? Hodgson seems like an untouchable, and the Sens have no need for Schneider with Elliott in the wings. Other than Bieksa and Bernier, I can't imagine which players the Canucks could/would give up (if even those two).

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
Dallas has an arsenal of LW and to add another would be crazy.

Have to put Montreal in the list...They have been linked to every single FA since 1980.
This is true, but Heatley's no free agent. Besides, the Sens would know better than to trade him to the closest geographical team, where they'd face him the most times.

He'll end up in the West. If Dallas lands him, I'll be pretty damn happy, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

06-15-2009, 01:52 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlighting View Post

Vancouver - They have their own franchise players to resign in the Sedins, but even if Vancouver was interested, would they really be able to pay the price? Hodgson seems like an untouchable, and the Sens have no need for Schneider with Elliott in the wings. Other than Bieksa and Bernier, I can't imagine which players the Canucks could/would give up (if even those two).
I've said this before and I kind of feeling like a broken record, but vancouver *could* give up Bieksa in a trade if they have Bouwmeester or S Neids... their biggest weakness right now is the speed of their defense and if they get a legit number 1 that can really skate they can afford to let go of Bieksa because:
Bouwmeester-Edler
Salo-Mitchell
is still an amazing top 4.

I think any trade coming from Vancouver would have to be centered around Bieksa and draft picks because I also can't see them really giving up Hodgson or Kesler. Grabner is showing a lot of promise with the level of play he brought the AHL playoffs but he isn't really well known and that hurts his value.

Old
06-15-2009, 02:01 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
Since when is Garrioch a credible source?

He never even said the Oilers were not on the list. All he said is that there not his number one preferance. I am sure Murrey is just waiting for the day he can appease Heatley and trade him to the team he wants to play on despite what that team has to offer. It was a low blow article with out any substance or credible journalism.
Garrioch? No.

Garrioch plus common sense? Yes.