HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

list of possible Heatley destinations

Old
06-15-2009, 02:02 PM
SpezDispenser

vCash: 500
Emerald City to find a heart.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 02:11 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs View Post
Garrioch? No.

Garrioch plus common sense? Yes.
Please, enlighten us with your common sense

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 02:25 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
Edmonton is the most likely to pick him up before July 1st, because their owner is filthy rich and would be perfectly fine taking on Heatley's 4 million in bonuses if it meant greater benefit for the club.

Aside from Edmonton, I really don't see any other team jumping to trade for him before July 1st. After July 1st, I think the serious contenders will be LA (If the Pronger deal completely fell through), mayyybe SJ and Calgary. Vancouver is a dark horse if a couple of peices fall into place. I really don't see any other team having a legitamate shot at acquiring him.

1a)Edmonton
1b)LA
3) SJ
4) Calgary
5) Vancouver

1a) Los Angeles
1b) Edmonton

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 02:37 PM
JackBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
1a) Los Angeles
1b) Edmonton
1a) Edmonton
1b) SJ

LA has some nice assets, but they are hesitant to give them up.

JackBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Mr Sakich

I think LA is the obvious destination unless they have an internal cap. I am old and have a failing memory but, I think I read that LA wanted to spend in the mid to high 40's. They could squeeze Heatley in next year but will be screwed in one more year.

Also, wouldn't it make more sense for LA to just pay the Sedins 13 million (if they spend to the cap) or 6.5 mill for Gaborik / Havlat? The Kings are definately getting a marquee player this summer but they have the cap space to do it without giving up any assets.

IMO, if the Sedins don't resign in Vancouver, they are the favorites for a big ticket player. It could easily be Heatley.

Mr Sakich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 02:49 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Please, enlighten us with your common sense
Common knowledge, actually. Edmonton isn't a preferred destination among players in the NHL. So why would Heatley choose to waive his NTC to go there?

Another thing... I mean, for sure Edmonton would like to have him and they're willing to give up a lot for him, but it's up to Heatley, thanks to the NTC. If he's pulling the plug on Ottawa, wouldn't he want go to a 'contender' if given the choice?

Garrioch is usually wrong, i know. But even he can't ignore the obviousness of Edmonton-Heatley interest being one-way.

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 02:51 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
Quote:
Common knowledge, actually. Edmonton isn't a preferred destination among players in the NHL. So why would Heatley choose to waive his NTC to go there?

Another thing... I mean, for sure Edmonton would like to have him and they're willing to give up a lot for him, but it's up to Heatley, thanks to the NTC. If he's pulling the plug on Ottawa, wouldn't he want go to a 'contender' if given the choice?

Garrioch is usually wrong, i know. But even he can't ignore the obviousness of Edmonton-Heatley interest being one-way.
A source close to Heatley said he would waive his NTC to come to Edmonton.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281356

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 03:02 PM
surshot*

Quote:

Wow your common sense is thru the roof.

Did you ever think the new era of Daryl Katz, Tambo, Quinn and Renney would have a couple players in the NHL looking in the Oils direction?

You are trying to make a case from Garrioch article and you look worse then Garrioch so enjoy that. Edmonton is no joke get use to it.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 03:05 PM
AgentNaslund*

Count Vancouver out. Thats twice, hes asked to be traded when the team is going through difficult times. It's pretty obvious what type of character he is.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 03:22 PM
frankthefrowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund View Post
Count Vancouver out. Thats twice, hes asked to be traded when the team is going through difficult times. It's pretty obvious what type of character he is.
Yea the first time had everything to do with wanting out of the situation in atlanta and nothing to do with the terrible memories of his dead friend. C'mon the dude needed out of atlanta in the worst way.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 03:28 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilGagner89 View Post
A source close to Heatley said he would waive his NTC to come to Edmonton.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=281356
Actually, 'sources', not just one. Not 'close to Heatley', though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
Wow your common sense is thru the roof.

Did you ever think the new era of Daryl Katz, Tambo, Quinn and Renney would have a couple players in the NHL looking in the Oils direction?

You are trying to make a case from Garrioch article and you look worse then Garrioch so enjoy that. Edmonton is no joke get use to it.
No. But it's possible, i guess. Anything is. But ownership, management and coaching aside, Edmonton remains the same: An undesirable destination according to the latest player polls. Buffalo is the other major one.

So, regardless of changes to their organization, UFA interest in Edmonton will probably remain low. This is why Edmonton is heavily interested in trading for Heatley. We'll have to wait and see if the trade happens. If it does, then it's definitely a head-scratcher on Heatley's behalf. What's the gain? The coach? Well who knows how long Quinn will be around. To win? Well, what's the return for Heatley? Wouldn't those pieces need to be kept for any kind of shot now? Hmmmmm... It would be interesting.

I think San Jose has a much better chance. More to offer. More desirable. A much better contender. etc.

Old
06-15-2009, 03:30 PM
HabsInsideOut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
Dallas has an arsenal of LW and to add another would be crazy.

Have to put Montreal in the list...They have been linked to every single FA since 1980.
He's not going to Montreal, that is for sure

HabsInsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
When TSN reported it a few days ago, they had said "A source very close to Heatley says Heatley would we willing to waive his NTC to play in Edmonton". Get over it.

Old
06-15-2009, 03:38 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
I think San Jose has a much better chance. More to offer. More desirable. A much better contender. etc.
Which team has had more post season success?

Even the terribad oilers managed to limp their way to a cup finals sometime in the last half a decade.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 03:43 PM
surshot*

Quote:

No. But it's possible, i guess. Anything is. But ownership, management and coaching aside, Edmonton remains the same: An undesirable destination according to the latest player polls. Buffalo is the other major one.

So, regardless of changes to their organization, UFA interest in Edmonton will probably remain low. This is why Edmonton is heavily interested in trading for Heatley. We'll have to wait and see if the trade happens. If it does, then it's definitely a head-scratcher on Heatley's behalf. What's the gain? The coach? Well who knows how long Quinn will be around. To win? Well, what's the return for Heatley? Wouldn't those pieces need to be kept for any kind of shot now? Hmmmmm... It would be interesting.

Your latest poll is the one that was done like 3 years ago. Unless you have a link to a more recent poll? I doubt that so stop bringing a three year old bloody poll that meant little then and even less now. I for one do not think a trade for Heatley is the best thing the Oilers could do but its a a good choice given what Heatley has to offer any team. Do not worry whats left after a Heatley trade in Edmonton, we have the depth to pull this trade off better then most teams and is probably the reason why the Oilers or even mentioned as a possible location for Heatley. In fact if Ottawa wants to get the value they need in return they better be hoping Tambo is willing just because of what you could actually get from the Oilers compared with other teams. Either way your continued efforts to make Edmonton look bad just makes you look bad.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 03:45 PM
TOML

Quote:
When TSN reported it a few days ago, they had said "A source very close to Heatley says Heatley would we willing to waive his NTC to play in Edmonton". Get over it.
Others more recently say Heatley doesn't have Edmonton high on his list of destinations. But again, you have to question the motivation of him ditching Ottawa in favour of Edmonton. It doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
Which team has had more post season success?

Even the terribad oilers managed to limp their way to a cup finals sometime in the last half a decade.
Heck, even the Islanders won 4 cups already. There are other factors. San Jose is a piece or two from being top-notch contenders. In fact they are already, if they stay healthy and don't play Anaheim in round 1. One would think that Heatley instead of Marleau and/or Cheechoo as a finisher for Jumbo Joe would be a good start. San Jose is also not on the top of the list of undesirable trading destinations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surshot View Post
Your latest poll is the one that was done like 3 years ago. Unless you have a link to a more recent poll? I doubt that so stop bringing a three year old bloody poll that meant little then and even less now. I for one do not think a trade for Heatley is the best thing the Oilers could do but its a a good choice given what Heatley has to offer any team. Do not worry whats left after a Heatley trade in Edmonton, we have the depth to pull this trade off better then most teams and is probably the reason why the Oilers or even mentioned as a possible location for Heatley. In fact if Ottawa wants to get the value they need in return they better be hoping Tambo is willing just because of what you could actually get from the Oilers compared with other teams. Either way your continued efforts to make Edmonton look bad just makes you look bad.
It's the most recent poll and nothing has changed, really. It's not just my opinion. It's shared by the majority of the players in the NHL. Sorry. But it's why attracting UFA's is extremely difficult for Edmonton. Hence, this supposed 'blockbuster trade' route.

Teams with 'good depth', imo, usually make the playoffs consistently. A Heatley trade would, of course, create a major hole or two in the lineup. But the bigger concern is the cap space he'll be taking up along with Horcoff in a cap-shrinking league. These factors combined with the inability to attract UFA patch-ups equates to a team with similar problems to Ottawa.

I for one do not think a trade for Heatley is the best thing the Oilers could do either.

Last edited by TOML: 06-15-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old
06-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Others more recently say Heatley doesn't have Edmonton high on his list of destinations. But again, you have to question the motivation of him ditching Ottawa in favour of Edmonton. It doesn't make any sense.
The direction Edmonton is going wouldn't make sense?

Old
06-15-2009, 03:56 PM
the word*

Quote:
Garrioch?

Quote:
Heck, even the Islanders won 4 cups already. There are other factors. San Jose is a piece or two from being top-notch contenders. In fact they are already, if they stay healthy and don't play Anaheim in round 1. One would think that Heatley instead of Marleau and/or Cheechoo as a finisher for Jumbo Joe would be a good start. San Jose is also not on the top of the list of undesirable trading destinations.
If the Oil make the post season next year, I would love to meet up with San Jose. They have been top-notch for a long while.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 03:59 PM
TOML

Quote:
The direction Edmonton is going wouldn't make sense?
Note that every team in the NHL can say they can get better with Heatley in the lineup.

On that note, if Heatley is pulling off these selfish actions now, is any team out doing themselves a favour to make him the leader of their team? And would Heatley even want that distinction after ducking out of that future in Ottawa?

No. Heatley's character has to come into question. And no, he'd probably want to go on a team with lots of veteran help. ie. San Jose.

Old
06-15-2009, 04:12 PM
the word*

Quote:
Note that every team in the NHL can say they can get better with Heatley in the lineup.

On that note, if Heatley is pulling off these selfish actions now, is any team out doing themselves a favour to make him the leader of their team? And would Heatley even want that distinction after ducking out of that future in Ottawa?

No. Heatley's character has to come into question. And no, he'd probably want to go on a team with lots of veteran help. ie. San Jose.
Also, meaning no team will give up that many assets to get Heatley. The Oil have all the assets needed for a trade. Quinn has a history with Heatley, and I'm sure they will talk before any deal is struck. The Oil would be fine after an eventual trade. You really have very little of interest to say.

the word* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 04:16 PM
jimmy1100
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
You realize 1a) and 1b) mean they are pretty much equal, so re-ordering which one is a or b does nothing but make you look stupid?
Whoa, I'm pretty sure all that was being conveyed in that post is that the poster wants Heatley and they reversed the order to reflect that.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 04:20 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
You realize 1a) and 1b) mean they are pretty much equal, so re-ordering which one is a or b does nothing but make you look stupid?
If 1a and 1b were equal then they would both be 1 or 1a. There is no such thing as " pretty much equal"

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 04:28 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
Whoa, I'm pretty sure all that was being conveyed in that post is that the poster wants Heatley and they reversed the order to reflect that.
Probably. I admit I probably took that post the wrong way. I'm going to go ahead and delete that post because it wasn't really necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
If 1a and 1b were equal then they would both be 1 or 1a. There is no such thing as " pretty much equal"
Wtf? Major logic fail right there. 3.14 and 3.14159 are pretty much equal. Pretty much equal means the differences between them are negligible.

The reason they are given the label 1a and 1b is to show that they're pretty much equal and that I didn't typo 1, 2 and 3.

Old
06-15-2009, 04:30 PM
TOML

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
Also, meaning no team will give up that many assets to get Heatley. The Oil have all the assets needed for a trade. Quinn has a history with Heatley, and I'm sure they will talk before any deal is struck. The Oil would be fine after an eventual trade. You really have very little of interest to say.
While Edmonton has some assets, San Jose has more assets. Marleau is better than anybody the Oilers can give up right now, for example. Hemsky might be close, however.

At 68yrs of age, Quinn has a 'history' with most players in the NHL. But seriously, if Heatley is pushing for a trade merely to follow Quinn, that would be a questionable motive. Quinn hasn't even won a cup and during all this time he's been away from the game, the game has changed quite a bit. One might even say that the game has passed him by. But time will tell, i guess. The one or two years of NHL coaching he might have left in him.

Any word on Quinn and Heatley being on 'buddy' terms?

Ottawa would want Hemsky and Gagner to give up Heatley if Murray has anything to do with it. Is Edmonton 'fine' after that?

Old
06-15-2009, 04:33 PM
CloutierForVezina

Quote:
While Edmonton has some assets, San Jose has more assets. Marleau is better than anybody the Oilers can give up right now, for example. Hemsky might be close, however.

At 68yrs of age, Quinn has a 'history' with most players in the NHL. But seriously, if Heatley is pushing for a trade merely to follow Quinn, that would be a questionable motive. Quinn hasn't even won a cup and during all this time he's been away from the game, the game has changed quite a bit. One might even say that the game has passed him by. But time will tell, i guess. The one or two years of NHL coaching he might have left in him.

Any word on Quinn and Heatley being on 'buddy' terms?

Ottawa would want Hemsky and Gagner to give up Heatley if Murray has anything to do with it. Is Edmonton 'fine' after that?
Ok, now you're just trolling.

No team in the league would even consider giving up 2 players on the level of hemsky and gagner for heatley. Edmonton gets instantly worse in the short and long term.