HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Zetterberg v. Crosby

View Poll Results: Henrik Zetterberg v. Sidney Crosby
Henrik Zetterberg 97 20.08%
Sidney Crosby 386 79.92%
Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-16-2009, 02:35 AM
AgentNaslund*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
Crosby....

but Z made Crosby his ***** in the finals.

Because Z focused on shutting him down, Z almost put himself in the position not to score points, thus in the end Z got his ass owned because his team didnt win the cup.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:29 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Zetterberg shut down Crosby head to head two years in a row and outscored him. Easy choice for me.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:53 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabby View Post
Zetterberg shut down Crosby head to head two years in a row and outscored him. Easy choice for me.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 04:25 AM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninsRevenge View Post
That's pretty funny. I guess we'll never know, because Henrik will always be playing with far better linemates. Crosby is forced to do so much more because of this very reason. His linemates aren't very good. To put up numbers like he does is remarkable. He's better than Zetterberg in every way other than D. And he'll even start to close that gap as his career goes along.
Probably be a tad bit more accurate if you flip that around to Z is better at Sid in every way but O.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 07:48 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Crosby.

tony d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 08:08 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

If I have Zetterberg, as good as he is, and the Penguins say they'll give me Crosby for him straight up, then I jump on that faster than you can say "Shero has lost his ****ing mind."

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 08:22 AM
4rde

Quote:
Originally Posted by albo23 View Post
Interesting perspective. I respect your opinion, however, can I ask why Crosby was shut down so well in the Finals?
Just because Zetterberg is good at shutting down Crosby it doesnt mean he is better player than him.

I like Zette and who doesnt, but Crosby is better no doubt.

4rde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Nordic*

Crosby can dominate lesser players more than Z, but Z can and will dominate Crosby when they face eachother.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:19 AM
AK

Head to head, I have to take Zetterberg. It's been proven several times now that Zetterberg's defense just beats Crosby's offense in the circumstances that have been presented.

I think Crosby is the better player, but I also think Zetterberg would beat him in a one on one game.

Sometimes, the immovable object is greater than the unstoppable force.

I'd still rather have the guy who's being matched up against to shutdown, because it means my team is on the offensive when that matchup is taking place. Zetterberg relatively took Crosby out of the game, but in turn took himself relatively out of it as well.

If anybody followed that...

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Zetterberg… hart, class, reliability and no drama.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:23 AM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Zetterberg… hart, class, reliability and no drama.
Your posts about Crosby are incredibly predictable.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Sorry...this is how I feel about it.
I've tried... just cant stand people that were fed with a golden spoon.

Letang on the other hand is completely different story.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 11:06 AM
JSF1921

I always get a kick out of people who view two players as equals because one is good defensively and the other is good offensively.

People need to remember that it is MUCH easier to stop someone from scoring than it is to actually score, and this is true for just about every sport. They may have been going head to head, but Crosby's job was always going to be more difficult. I think this should be weighed more heavily by the Zetterberg supporters, because in this type of comparison, the odds are stacked against the offensive player to begin with.

I'm sure a prime Samuel Pahlsson could've given Crosby fits as well. Would anybody be calling him the better player?

Also, lets stop pretending that Zetterberg was the sole reason for Crosby being less effective. Nick Lidstrom and the Wings' stellar defensive system had a whole lot to do with it as well.

I don't care who would win in a hypothetical one-on-one matchup. Hockey's a team sport. Backchecking, blocking shots and blocking passing lanes and general defense can be taught, offensive instincts can't. Give me the more talented, superior offensive player every time.

JSF1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Semantics

Crosby: Stanley Cup
Zetterberg: whining about handshakes

I know which one I'd take.

Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Cone

Send a message via AIM to Cone
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Probably be a tad bit more accurate if you flip that around to Z is better at Sid in every way but O.
are you saying these two things are equal? i'll agree that pure offense doesn't always make a forward, but there is so much gray area between offense and defense where crosby excels. if defense just cancelled out offense as far as forwards are concerned than sammy pahlsson would be a hall of famer.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 11:25 AM
mobilus

I pick Crosby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
Head to head, Zetterberg beat Crosby in the finals, but it was Malkin that dominated the finals for the Pens, hence the Conn Smythe, if anything, I would say Malkin is the best player in the world right now, not Crosby.
Side note, once Crosby left the 7th game injured in the second period, Detroit was able to turn their full attention to Malkin. Third period, Pittsburgh had one shot on goal. Yes they were playing defensively to protect their lead.... but one shot on goal. Malkin is great, and for me a toss up between him and Crosby. Just pointing out the amount of Detroit attention Crosby was removing from his teammates during the Finals.

mobilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 11:50 AM
revolverjgw

Easily Crosby, and the gap will only grow from here on.

The Pens didn't really key on Zetterberg in the finals like the Wings did on Crosby because there's no need to, he's not as dangerous as Crosby. They have nobody that could do it anyway, unlike the Wings who are stacked with defensive aces.

revolverjgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Tumsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Head to head, I have to take Zetterberg. It's been proven several times now that Zetterberg's defense just beats Crosby's offense in the circumstances that have been presented.

I think Crosby is the better player, but I also think Zetterberg would beat him in a one on one game.

Sometimes, the immovable object is greater than the unstoppable force.

I'd still rather have the guy who's being matched up against to shutdown, because it means my team is on the offensive when that matchup is taking place. Zetterberg relatively took Crosby out of the game, but in turn took himself relatively out of it as well.

If anybody followed that...
This is exactly how I think about it too. If I had to pick one player in a vacuum, I would go with Crosby. But I still think that there is no player in the league that will outscore Z in a head to head match (with similar line mates).

Tumsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 02:52 PM
maxdanno115

sisney crosby, why would anyone pick zetterberg? 70 pts??? the only players that cases can be made for to be better than crosby are oveckin and malkin all three are on par with each other and in a league of there own.

maxdanno115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
As well as Z shadowed Crosby in the finals, I think Sid was still more effective in the offensive zone than Z was in the offensive zone. Sure, Z had more points, but if the Pens had someone as good as Z shadow Z, I doubt he'd be visible at all.
In any case, this is all just a bunch of "what ifs" and it really proves nothing.

Crosby is still better. It takes 2 world class talents to slow him down. Although it worked, he was still effective and a big part of the series.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:23 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 488
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
even with sid not registering a lot of points in the finals he still had chances. ill take the kid who won the hart, art ross, captained his team to stanley cup, and scored 100 points 3 seperate years.

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:44 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSF1921 View Post
I always get a kick out of people who view two players as equals because one is good defensively and the other is good offensively.

People need to remember that it is MUCH easier to stop someone from scoring than it is to actually score, and this is true for just about every sport. They may have been going head to head, but Crosby's job was always going to be more difficult. I think this should be weighed more heavily by the Zetterberg supporters, because in this type of comparison, the odds are stacked against the offensive player to begin with.

I'm sure a prime Samuel Pahlsson could've given Crosby fits as well. Would anybody be calling him the better player?

Also, lets stop pretending that Zetterberg was the sole reason for Crosby being less effective. Nick Lidstrom and the Wings' stellar defensive system had a whole lot to do with it as well.

I don't care who would win in a hypothetical one-on-one matchup. Hockey's a team sport. Backchecking, blocking shots and blocking passing lanes and general defense can be taught, offensive instincts can't. Give me the more talented, superior offensive player every time.
Z doubled up Sid offensively in the Final.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
Z doubled up Sid offensively in the Final.
and Sid raised the cup.

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:59 PM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Shogun_ View Post
and Sid raised the cup.
I'm sorry, was the poll question who won the Stanley Cup?

Z can shut C down and still produce.

C can not shut Z down, and certainly not produce while trying.

Last edited by Nordic*: 06-16-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Zetterberg shot Sid?

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote