HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Zetterberg v. Crosby

View Poll Results: Henrik Zetterberg v. Sidney Crosby
Henrik Zetterberg 97 20.08%
Sidney Crosby 386 79.92%
Voters: 483. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Canad93

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
I'd love nothing more than have the Wings play in the Eastern Conference.

Head to head, and quite literally, 13 games in the last two Final series.

Sid - 3G 6A 9P -2
Z - 4G 8A 12P +4

The head to head matchup played a very large role in Zetterberg's Conn Smythe last year and was trending towards a similar result this year had the series ended differently.
But then they would have missed out on 5 years of being the only playoff team in their division...

Zetterberg is an awesome player; but Sidney doing as much as he does at his age just screams better player..I'm sure by the time he's thirty, he could be much better defensively. Zetterberg is quite solid defensively, but at least from what I've gathered, his play in that department was all development from his time in Detroit. You can't deny a talent like Crosby. He's got wicked skills now, and the potential to be such a complete player as he matures.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 08:11 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

Why does everyone forget that it's not just Zetterberg shutting down Crosby?

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 08:26 PM
JSF1921

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
Because it makes for a better narrative, why else?

People don't care about facts, they only care about a good story.

JSF1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 08:36 PM
bort

crosby made numerous passes in the series that should have been goals. if two or three of those go in, would we still be having this conversation?

bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 09:14 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bort View Post
crosby made numerous passes in the series that should have been goals. if two or three of those go in, would we still be having this conversation?
For 3 rounds we were treated to a Sidney Crosby Playoff Goal Scoring Record Tracker. He had 14 through 17 games. Why did he decide to stop scoring goals in the Final?

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 09:15 PM
AK

Quote:
For 3 rounds we were treated to a Sidney Crosby Playoff Goal Scoring Record Tracker. He had 14 through 17 games. Why did he decide to stop scoring goals in the Final?
Does this really need to be answered?

Two Selke finalists? Second best defenseman of all time? A white hot goalie?

It's not that hard to figure out.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
For the good of the team. Turns out, keeping Zetts and Dats off the scoreboard was a more successful strategy... they won the Cup.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 09:16 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by karacter View Post
Lidstrom was coming off surgery to repair one of his testicles. His mobility was a bit hampered to say the very least.

Rafalski had a herniated disc and a dislocated shoulder.

There's a reason much of the focus was on Zetterberg for the defensive effort on Crosby.

Old
06-16-2009, 09:19 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
Does this really need to be answered?

Two Selke finalists? Second best defenseman of all time? A white hot goalie?

It's not that hard to figure out.
Datsyuk played only 3 games in the Final. And that on one leg. Nick was similarly banged up even though he played. Were Varlamov and Ward not white hot?

Zetterberg more than anyone else was the key to that matchup. Through the first 2 games there were only 2-3 shifts, I believe, that he didn't get out there against Crosby.

Old
06-16-2009, 09:21 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Lidstrom was coming off surgery to repair one of his testicles. His mobility was a bit hampered to say the very least.

Rafalski had a herniated disc and a dislocated shoulder.

There's a reason much of the focus was on Zetterberg for the defensive effort on Crosby.
There's a reason word of the surgery came to a surprise to many. While his mobility may TECHNICALLY have been hampered, it certainly didn't change how effective he was. I'm surprised you pulled this one out, if you actually watched the game, because we've all seen footage of Orr on one leg be a game breaker, and we KNEW he only had one leg and it was STILL hard to believe it watching him compared to those around him.

Yes, Lidstrom IS good enough that even if his mobility is hampered a bit, he can still keep up with just about any forward in the league. Especially with help from Dats and Zetts.

Old
06-16-2009, 09:23 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
For the good of the team. Turns out, keeping Zetts and Dats off the scoreboard was a more successful strategy... they won the Cup.
Indeed. The tactic of placing all hope of offense on Maxim Talbot's shoulders was so unthinkable that the Wings were left unprepared.

Old
06-16-2009, 09:25 PM
AK

Quote:
Datsyuk played only 3 games in the Final. And that on one leg. Nick was similarly banged up even though he played. Were Varlamov and Ward not white hot?

Zetterberg more than anyone else was the key to that matchup. Through the first 2 games there were only 2-3 shifts, I believe, that he didn't get out there against Crosby.
Ward and Varlamov were hot, but they had no defense in front of them. No Selke forwards.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 09:26 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
There's a reason word of the surgery came to a surprise to many. While his mobility may TECHNICALLY have been hampered, it certainly didn't change how effective he was. I'm surprised you pulled this one out, if you actually watched the game, because we've all seen footage of Orr on one leg be a game breaker, and we KNEW he only had one leg and it was STILL hard to believe it watching him compared to those around him.

Yes, Lidstrom IS good enough that even if his mobility is hampered a bit, he can still keep up with just about any forward in the league. Especially with help from Dats and Zetts.
And the primary matchup was still Zetterberg. That's the match that Babcock fought hardest for.

EDIT - and with that I'm done. This is one of those "debates" where there is apparently a universal truth that isn't allowed to be contested.

Last edited by norrisnick: 06-16-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old
06-16-2009, 09:32 PM
Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Man the Crosby hate is unreal 'round here. It's like every 5 minutes a new poll or new thread is started in order to stir the pot and start some ****.

Can he be taken down by "so & so". Did he do this, did he do that.

I would take Sid 10/10 X's versus Zetterberg, and Zetterberg is one of my favourite players, if not my single most favourite player.
Seriously thou what did you expect? The Red wings lost the cup, they whine even when they win it.

Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Indeed. The tactic of placing all hope of offense on Maxim Talbot's shoulders was so unthinkable that the Wings were left unprepared.
That's the weakest comeback ever. The Pens had 3 other lines, and got key plays from Malkin and key goals from players like Staal AND Talbot. Fact is, Detroit's Hart, Selke, and Norris candidates were neutralized by the Pens' Hart candidates. Don't cry about how the cards fell from there. I mean, I could say that leaving all hopes of offense on Darren Helm and Abduljabbar (or whatever his name is) left Pittsburgh unprepared... but they still won.

Old
06-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
And the primary matchup was still Zetterberg. That's the match that Babcock fought hardest for.

EDIT - and with that I'm done. This is one of those "debates" where there is apparently a universal truth that isn't allowed to be contested.
No, no. It CAN be "contested". It just can't be spun into the favour of a somewhat outlandish opinion.

Old
06-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Burnaby_Joe*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSF1921 View Post
Try again, homernick.

Burnaby_Joe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:28 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
exactly. i guess hal gill is better than jagr since he always shut him down. teams swarm crosby. zetterberg doesn't get that type of attention or shadowing.
Man I loved those Gill / Jagr battles though. Teams almost needed a defense man as big and strong as Gill to shut down Jagr. Jagr was a moose carrying the puck. And that is a good scenario too. Madden / Pandalfo have shut down just about every offensive forward in the game. Does that mean Madden / Pandalfo are two of the best players to play the game for the past decade? Not at all.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Canad93

Quote:
That's the weakest comeback ever. The Pens had 3 other lines, and got key plays from Malkin and key goals from players like Staal AND Talbot. Fact is, Detroit's Hart, Selke, and Norris candidates were neutralized by the Pens' Hart candidates. Don't cry about how the cards fell from there. I mean, I could say that leaving all hopes of offense on Darren Helm and Abduljabbar (or whatever his name is) left Pittsburgh unprepared... but they still won.

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 11:31 PM
albo23

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Mr Jiggyfly> View Post
How about a real poll... if you ask 28 other GMs who they could pick... would they take Zetterberg or Crosby...

Something tells me Zetterberg wouldn't have one GM pick him over Crosby.
It's funny how you absolutely suck nuts at reading and have no argumentative stance other than to base yourself away from the current situation and have your mind completely devoid of the actual subject.

Honestly, you saying that is like asking a GM who would you rather have? Nicklas Lidstrom or Jay Bouwmeester? Zetterberg is obviously better as was seen in the finals when Hank shut down Crysby single-handedly but you would be pretty foolish not to take the worse younger player because he still has some gas left in the tank.

albo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 11:46 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
and their regular defense, atleast lidstroms, is unbelievable. i dont care how good crosby is, when he is being followed by zetterberg and rafalski and lidstrom are out there he isnt going to produce as well as he does against another team like the hurricanes
Have you SEEN Rafalski's defense? If anything, it's a credit to Zetterberg and Lidstrom's ability that they can make Rafalski seem so solid to the uninformed.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:25 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabby View Post
Have you SEEN Rafalski's defense? If anything, it's a credit to Zetterberg and Lidstrom's ability that they can make Rafalski seem so solid to the uninformed.
thats why i said atleast lidstrom

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:13 AM
Nordic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabMan View Post
you could add that he did with lidstrom and rafalski. The whole damn line was focused on him and him alone. Zetterberg was so focused on him, that he didnt even play offence.
The whole line focused on C? Are you serious? Z went up against C, the other players had their respective responsibilities.

If Z didn't play offence and still got twice as many points as C, just imagine his point total if he did play offence

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:41 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
The whole line focused on C? Are you serious? Z went up against C, the other players had their respective responsibilities.

If Z didn't play offence and still got twice as many points as C, just imagine his point total if he did play offence
First of all Z went up against C, but C had to get through L and R to get to the net. And yes, I would imagine that every Red Wing on the ice was instructed to be aware of where Crosby was while on the ice. And not just that whole line, the whole team. Why do you find that so hard to believe?

And to imagine your hypothetical situation at the end there, I would imagine C would get TRIPLE Z's points... no, wait, Lidstrom and the boys would still be back there, and Sid/Malkin would still be able to stick to Zetts/Dats like glue. Aside from the 3rd period of the last game, both were trying as hard as they could to provide offense for their teams. In the end, following each coach's game plan, Crosby/Malkin+Gonchar+Gill =ed Zetterberg/Datsyuk+Lidstrom+Rafalski.

edit: But in any event, 143-41, the better man won, shut 'er down.

Old
06-17-2009, 03:55 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

I don't know if you can even compare the two because they're so bloody different. Zett is a top flight, shut down center/finesse playmaker, while Crosby is a better face-off man, more of a scrapper/way better along the boards and relied on as a top scorer night after night. Different but equal?

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote