HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers better then Pens (article)

Old
09-15-2009, 10:49 PM
3Fs

vCash: 500
Flyers better then Pens (article)

I did not see this posted anywhere, but enjoyed reading it from beginning to end. I thought that some others may enjoy also.

http://www.topix.net/nhl/philadelphi...burgh-penguins

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 11:01 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
We become better than the Penguins when they're home watching us play in the playoffs.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 11:05 PM
Garbage Goal

Reeks of controversy, homerism, and obvious points. Really all he did was point out that the Flyers have been the more overall successful team as a franchise. I thought that was obvious. The fact that we have the second highest winning percentage in any team's history should be enough to prove that.

Other then that, it was kind of a poorly written, stupid article. What I did like was this though:
Quote:
In spite of the efforts of Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Evgeni Malkin, and Sidney Crosby, the Penguins will continue their tenure in the NHL as a lackluster franchise. They will be remembered for thier great players, not because of their great team. Good management decisions, drafting well in late rounds and developing players from within a team's own minor league system is a recipe for continued success. This is one of the reasons the Flyers have been successful over the years and continue to remain competitive.
The author should have focused more on how good this upcoming team is. He didn't really make a case for this years team.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 11:10 PM
DickTony

We weren't last year, and it ****ing hurt.

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 11:10 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Yeah, we're better than the team that came into our building in an elimination game and gave us a spanking and then proceeded to win the Cup.

We're a lot better than those guys.

I pray to God that Pens fans don't see this thread.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 11:23 PM
blah

Top to bottom, I still think the Flyers were better than the Pens last season. But there's a reason they play the games. As vomit inducing as it was, the Pens win was no fluke. They didn't coast to a Cup win; they beat the best teams the NHL had to offer last season.

blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 11:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
Top to bottom, I still think the Flyers were better than the Pens last season. But there's a reason they play the games. As vomit inducing as it was, the Pens win was no fluke. They didn't coast to a Cup win; they beat the best teams the NHL had to offer last season.
Yes, let us keep in mind there was not a single person here, if not very very few, who thought we would beat the Red Wings. That should have put any talk of "well...we should have..." to sleep for good.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2009, 11:35 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah, we're better than the team that came into our building in an elimination game and gave us a spanking and then proceeded to win the Cup.

We're a lot better than those guys.

I pray to God that Pens fans don't see this thread.
meh who really cares if they do. You see what the reaction is so far.
The Pens won the Cup last year, the Flyers lost in round 1.
Until the Flyers show they can beat the Pens when it matters they are better then the Flyers.
The article is a homerish pile of rubbish anyway.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:30 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Yes, let us keep in mind there was not a single person here, if not very very few, who thought we would beat the Red Wings. That should have put any talk of "well...we should have..." to sleep for good.
I thought we could take Detroit to 6 games personally.

It's not so much a matter of "should have" as "could have". No one would say that we should have won the cup. We could have beat Pittsburgh though and we could have advanced farther.

Old
09-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

On paper.....they might be, except at goal. But, you still have to play the games. I think the Pens have more heart than the Flyers guys, so, the Pens, on the ice will be a better team.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:14 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

^^^

Hard to argue when the pens have shown us the door two seasons in a row. I like to think this is the reason guys like Lappy were brought in. The D is flat out better and I think Emery is underrated, but as far as this topic goes there's no way to be sure until late next spring.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 02:29 AM
Mr Oysterhead

I really don't understand why he so firmly believes having star players cheapens your franchise. Meh...

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 06:01 AM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Oysterhead View Post
I really don't understand why he so firmly believes having star players cheapens your franchise. Meh...
I think that he was crying about the fact that the Penguins flat out sucked for YEARS and as a reward they were handed players like Crosby, Malkin, MAF, Staal. Yes, I suppose its natural to be a little pissed and jealous, but he needs to grow up. It doesn't matter how the pens got their players. You could argue that the draft has been very generous to the Flyers as well.

but on the other hand I get where this guy is coming from. I have met so many "bandwagon penguins fans" its not even funny. I had a conversation with one such fan about the pens and flyers that made me want to punch babies. After he was finished gloating about his franchise's recent cup win. I said that it was funny how they were such a terrible team for so many years, how they were banished to the catacombs of the NHL w/ a stadium that is basically falling apart, an owner who is bankrupt, has been forced to trade away all of his star players or watch them walk at the end of their contract, and simply cannot afford to bring in any new talent via free agency. I reminded him of how they basically snuck Malkin out of Russia, then signed him eventhough he was still under contract... and were somehow allowed to get away with it, I reminded him of how they were "this close" to hoisting the cup as the Kansas City Scouts instead of as the Pittsburgh Penguins and in spite of everything how miraculous it is that they have risen to cup status in a matter of years. He stood there wearing his Penguins jersey w/ the 87 on the sleeves and stared at me absolutely puzzled, "What are you talking about?" he says to me. I wanted to punch a hole through his pimply little face... but instead I just shrugged and said "I have no idea?"

I dawned on me later that sports has a very short memory. I hate it when sportswriters and analysts quote empirical statistics and historical facts that have absolutely nothing to do with the players wearing the jerseys. The author of this article is keeping the "score" with statistics that occurred 30+ years ago. Mike Richards, Simon Gagne, Jeff Carter, 80% of the current Flyers roster weren't even born when the Flyers won their cups. I was hoping that this article would be more like a scouting report on the Flyers and Penguins at training camp...

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
The Penguins suck, but not as bad as that article.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
As much I would like to believe it as being true, the notion as it stands now...is absurd.

They are THE team to beat.

Like GKJ said, we'll be the better team when we're still playing in April/May/June and they are not.

Until then...yeah.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 08:07 AM
DUHockey9

Yea, that article was awful.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 08:20 AM
BringBackStevens

I don't think the notion of us being better than Pittsburgh is absurd in the least, nor is it absurd for a handful of other teams in the league. Theres a lot of parity right now and even though Pittsburgh was clearly better than us last season, it was not a huge margin and some major weaknesses on our roster have been addressed.

That said, its pointless to even discuss who is better on paper. The season is 82 games long plus playoffs... the only way to find out wh is better is to play the games

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Unstable

Ah yes, comparing teams on paper.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 11:21 AM
turkinaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I have met so many "bandwagon penguins fans" its not even funny.
I went to school in Baltimore and a lot of people there are Cap fans, but mainly because of players like Green and AO. I've asked a few of them about a player named Semyon Varlamov (their goalie prospect for a few years) around January of this year while he was in the minors to see how he was playing and none of them knew who he was. If it isn't about a franchise player they rarely have any knowledge about their team. I decided it was best to not bring up their loss to the Wings and their disappointing years until the lockout because I would be sure none of them cared about the Caps at that time.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 11:48 AM
Wolfy

Pens struggled at home against Columbus yesterday, won 5-4 in OT. But many of Pens best in the lineup including Crosby, while the Jackets played a pure AHL-team. This result surprised me, where are the Stanley Cup winners?

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Kaktus*

useless article.. idiot writer.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 12:35 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

What little respect I had for the Bleacher Report just jumped right out the window...

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Bandwagon fans make me want to punch baby deer in the face

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:36 PM
decadentia

I would rather have the Stanley Cup to prove this, rather than this amazingly well thought out article...

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I dawned on me later that sports has a very short memory. I hate it when sportswriters and analysts quote empirical statistics and historical facts that have absolutely nothing to do with the players wearing the jerseys. The author of this article is keeping the "score" with statistics that occurred 30+ years ago. Mike Richards, Simon Gagne, Jeff Carter, 80% of the current Flyers roster weren't even born when the Flyers won their cups. I was hoping that this article would be more like a scouting report on the Flyers and Penguins at training camp...
Same. I thought it was going to be some nice training camp insight or a nice comparison. Instead it was more of the author attempting to prove that the Flyers are overall more successful as a franchise.