HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Predictions (2009/10 Season)

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2009, 11:46 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Bill Meltzer said in the comment section of his Hockeybuzz post about Pyorala joining the Flyers, he said that he was a third or fourth line player.
Hey.. I said I had high hopes for ihm. As much as I respect Bill, anything can happen.

Old
07-23-2009, 11:52 PM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

Powe is going to be on this team and he'll be on the 3rd or 4th line...IMO..

Old
07-24-2009, 12:05 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Powe-Ross-Pyorala
Carcillo-Laperriere-Asham

Old
07-24-2009, 12:06 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Hey.. I said I had high hopes for ihm. As much as I respect Bill, anything can happen.
. I know what you mean I am excited about him and I definitely want him to be on the team and do well.

Old
07-24-2009, 12:10 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Am i the only one ..

That will wanna kill them self next year when/if Richards and Carcillo are playing on the same line. Let alone with Asham ..What do you think the lines will look like ?

Old
07-24-2009, 12:14 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Richards won't be on the same line with them.

Old
07-24-2009, 12:49 AM
phlocky

Ok, first off everyone please stop putting Briere on Richards wing, that is NEVER going to happen. Richards is our #1 defensive forward and he's going to be matched up against the other teams top line every night. Briere just sucks defensively and there is no way in hell we put him on the ice against Crosby, Ovechkin or Malkin.

If we run with just two "scoring" line and then a 3rd "energy line the ONLY combination would be the following:

Hartnell - Carter - Briere
Gagne - Richards - Giroux

That's the ONLY combination that makes any sense for running our top 6 together on just 2 lines.

However, I think we'll run 3 legit lines again next season and I think we'll go with the following:

Hartnell - Carter - (offensive minded player)
(whomever) - Giroux - Briere
Gagne - Richards - (defensively sound winger)

Carters line IS going to be our #1 ES scoring line not Richards line. Carter will need an offensive minded winger, it could be Nodl, JVR, Afi or another.

Richards and Gagne are our 2 best DEFENSIVE forwards and will most DEFINITELY be matched up against the other teams top line again next year. Almost half of Richards points the last 2 years have come on the PP and PK so we really aren't counting on him to provide too much scoring at ES seeing how he's focusing on stopping the other teams top line every night. Personally, I think I Lapp makes perfect sense here. Carcillo might also be a decent fit IF they feel the need a little size on the line but persoanlly I don't trust his defensivel play at this point. I like I Lap because he's sound defensively and he's a vet who won't fall for some of the crap a more green player like Carcillo would.

I think that Giroux and Briere make a PERFECT pair for our "other" top 3 line. They would essentially be our 2nd ES "scoring line" and we can fit whomever works well with them in on that line. Afi has the speed to work well with these 2 but personally I think we need a goal scorer not another play maker on the line. Gagne would be GREAT in here and the PERFECT fit with these 2 but I think we absolutely MUST have him with Richards on a shut-down line. If we feel that I Lap and another can form a solid shutdown line with Richards then a line of Gagne - Giroux - Briere would be DEADLY. They could very well put up more ES goals than the Carter line.

At any rate, we need to STOP putting Briere with Richards, that's never going to happen.

Old
07-24-2009, 12:53 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
Ok, first off everyone please stop putting Briere on Richards wing, that is NEVER going to happen. Richards is our #1 defensive forward and he's going to be matched up against the other teams top line every night. Briere just sucks defensively and there is no way in hell we put him on the ice against Crosby, Ovechkin or Malkin.

If we run with just two "scoring" line and then a 3rd "energy line the ONLY combination would be the following:

That's the ONLY combination that makes any sense for running our top 6 together on just 2 lines.

However, I think we'll run 3 legit lines again next season and I think we'll go with the following:

Carters line IS going to be our #1 ES scoring line not Richards line. Carter will need an offensive minded winger, it could be Nodl, JVR, Afi or another.

Richards and Gagne are our 2 best DEFENSIVE forwards and will most DEFINITELY be matched up against the other teams top line again next year. Almost half of Richards points the last 2 years have come on the PP and PK so we really aren't counting on him to provide too much scoring at ES seeing how he's focusing on stopping the other teams top line every night. Personally, I think I Lapp makes perfect sense here. Carcillo might also be a decent fit IF they feel the need a little size on the line but persoanlly I don't trust his defensivel play at this point. I like I Lap because he's sound defensively and he's a vet who won't fall for some of the crap a more green player like Carcillo would.

I think that Giroux and Briere make a PERFECT pair for our "other" top 3 line. They would essentially be our 2nd ES "scoring line" and we can fit whomever works well with them in on that line. Afi has the speed to work well with these 2 but personally I think we need a goal scorer not another play maker on the line. Gagne would be GREAT in here and the PERFECT fit with these 2 but I think we absolutely MUST have him with Richards on a shut-down line. If we feel that I Lap and another can form a solid shutdown line with Richards then a line of Gagne - Giroux - Briere would be DEADLY. They could very well put up more ES goals than the Carter line.

At any rate, we need to STOP putting Briere with Richards, that's never going to happen.
Ummm you know they started last year like that right? They also didnt do a bad job at all even if they lost those games. Those three were the only ones doing something.

(You can look at the stats... I actually dont feel like it...)

Old
07-24-2009, 12:53 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:

Except that it's already happened and made for an excellent scoring line.

Old
07-24-2009, 12:59 AM
97FlyersKing18

Richards is an upper Echelon player in the NHL, even if he played with traditionally point challenged guys like Lapperiere, Asham and Carcillo, he would still put up points on special teams and most likely play the gravely important opening and closing minutes of each period with Gagne or Briere or Giroux, depending who is not playing well at the time. Also, Richie would have the opportunity to play against Line 1 or 2, which is most likely not be as defensively responsible and perhaps play against third pairing defensemen as the top pair rests for Carter's line.

In the event that the other coach puts out his top or second pairing, I am fairly confident that a line of Asham/Carcillo-Richards-Lapperiere would cycle the puck, wear down opponents, and chip in some goals or at least draw penalties for our potent PowerPlay to do work.

Old
07-24-2009, 01:03 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Except that it's already happened and made for an excellent scoring line.
I was going to go back through every game for the past 2 season and though "Eff that". Please tell me exactly WHEN they were paired together at even strenght and they formed an "excellent" scoring line because personally I can't remember them being together at ES except for a very few rare exceptions. They played together on the PP yes, but not at ES. Please provide the games where they played together at ES and were a great scoring line or else it didn't happen.

Watch Briere's play in the defensive zone and you'll have your answer as to why he NEVER plays on the PK and why we flat out don't put him on the ice when Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin are on the ice if at all possible.

Old
07-24-2009, 04:00 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
I was going to go back through every game for the past 2 season and though "Eff that". Please tell me exactly WHEN they were paired together at even strenght and they formed an "excellent" scoring line because personally I can't remember them being together at ES except for a very few rare exceptions. They played together on the PP yes, but not at ES. Please provide the games where they played together at ES and were a great scoring line or else it didn't happen.

Watch Briere's play in the defensive zone and you'll have your answer as to why he NEVER plays on the PK and why we flat out don't put him on the ice when Crosby, Malkin or Ovechkin are on the ice if at all possible.
You don't remember the start of last year when Gagne-Richards-Briere was our only line that could score goals? It either lasted until Briere's injury or they were broken up because Stevens wanted to get the other lines going.

No facts need to be provided here, it's what happened. It's kind of shocking how riled up you are about it, actually.

Old
07-24-2009, 08:01 AM
Triffy

Someone was hoping Pyörälä to turn out to be feisty and aggressive, similar to Sami Kapanen. I'm sorry but that's not the case. Pyörälä isn't known for finishing his checks. He is a responsible player with good positioning. As a coach, you know he won't get you in trouble, if he can cope with the speed difference between Euro leagues and the NHL. That's why he is a good signing for the Flyers. That, and he is very versatile. I think he can even play C.

Old
07-24-2009, 08:30 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Sigh...I cant believe I did this. Ok this one is for you Phlocky:

Game 1 vs Rangers:

Goal Scorer: Richards
Assister(s): Briere + Eminger
Even Strength Goal

Goal Scorer: Gagne
Assister(s): Briere
Even Strength Goal

Game 2 VS Habs:

Goal Scorer: Richards
Assister(s): Briere + Biron
PPG

Goal Scorer: Gagne
Assister(s): Knuble + Richards

Game 3 VS Pens:

No points from the line except Gagne had a goal that was assisted by Timonen and Ossi.

Game 4 VS Sharks:

Goal Scorer: Briere
Assister(s): Gagne
PPG

Game 5 vs Lightning:

Goal Scorer: Briere
Assister(s): Gagne + Richards
PPG

Now see, I think with more time, they could have gotten better together.

Old
07-24-2009, 08:47 AM
CantSeeColors

Mark my words: Pat Maroon is going to get every opportunity to make this team out of camp and be the new Knuble for Richards and Gagne.

Old
07-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Mo0sE

Send a message via AIM to Mo0sE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
Nobody starts over The Ultimate Warrior.
<-----
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH POWER OF THE WARRIORRRRRRRRRRR

Old
07-24-2009, 12:08 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
You don't remember the start of last year when Gagne-Richards-Briere was our only line that could score goals? It either lasted until Briere's injury or they were broken up because Stevens wanted to get the other lines going.

No facts need to be provided here, it's what happened. It's kind of shocking how riled up you are about it, actually.
ok, I actually didn't remember them being together last year, I must have blocked it out because ouf the terrible start, lol. I still don't see us putting Briere out there against the top line of the other team. I still think it would be suicide.

Old
07-24-2009, 12:16 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Mark my words: Pat Maroon is going to get every opportunity to make this team out of camp and be the new Knuble for Richards and Gagne.
See, I've got Pyorala marked for a line with Gagne and Richards and Maroon on a line with Carter and Hartnell. With regards to Briere and Giroux, that's where Lukas Kaspar could be used......

Old
07-24-2009, 12:25 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
ok, I actually didn't remember them being together last year, I must have blocked it out because ouf the terrible start, lol. I still don't see us putting Briere out there against the top line of the other team. I still think it would be suicide.
If we had Gagne-Richards-Briere out, I doubt the other team counters with their top line.

Gagne-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Pyorala
JVR/Maroon/Powe-Giroux-Lappy
Carcillo-Powe-Asham

meh

Afinogenov makes this interesting tho, assuming he is healthy

Gagne-Richards-Pyorala
Hartnell-Carter-Afinogenov
Powe-Giroux-Briere
Carcillo-Lappy-Asham

This setup takes into account ES lines, my PP would put Giroux and Briere in over Afinogenov and Pyorala.

In fact, if Pyorala can carry the puck at all and Afinogenov is healthy and not total ****, I think I actually like this.

Coburn-Timonen
Pronger-Carle
Jones-Parent

nice.

Old
07-24-2009, 01:01 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
If we had Gagne-Richards-Briere out, I doubt the other team counters with their top line.

So who do we play against guys like Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin???? Or do we just let them skate circles around our "3rd line" and score 5 goals a game??? The point is that WE will put Richards line out there against Crosby every single time, we will change on the fly if necessary to get that matchup. We WONT be putting out 3rd or 4th line on the ice for a faceoff in our zone when the Crosby line is rested if we are playing in Pittsburg, we will put Richards line out there if at all possible. If THEY dont put Crosby out then we'll get Richards off the ice as quick as possible to save him for when Crosby IS on the ice.

Also, I went back through the beginning of last season and it appears that Briere and Richards were split up by game 5 of the season and Mike Richards had a whopping 1 point at even strenght in those games. I stand by my statement that Richards and his line will NOT be big time ES point scorers and that they will be tasked with shutting down the other teams top line. He will be getting his point mainly on special teams. COULD Richards put up more ES points??? Certainly, but he's much much more valuable to this team STOPPING Crosby from scoring 3 goals a game than he is scoring 1 himself. Richards is a (+) player against Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin during the regular season over the past 2 seasons. He's that damned good defensively that he WILL continue to fulfill that role for this team.

If we had someone like Kesler to run a shut-down line and let Mike open up his offensive game at ES then that would be great. However, the truth is that we only really have Richards, and ot a lesser extent Carter, to match up against the other teams top lines. Carter has size and skill and though he can't read plays as well as Richards he still uses his best assets to be an effective player in his own zone. However, this team is much better served letting CARTER open up the offensive game and have Richards play defender than we are letting Richards open up the offensive game and Carter playing defender.

It's unfortunate but I just can't see us being able to have our cake and eat it too. I can't see us letting Richards open up his offensvie game at even strength AND still have him be one of the best shut-down centers in the game. Maybe Pronger will be good enough to shut Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin down all by himself and we won't need Richards to play much defense but I just don't see that as being the case.

Old
07-24-2009, 01:11 PM
phlocky

Also, IS, I don't know if I'd want Afi on Carters wing. I thought about it but I don't think he's a good fit for Carter. Afi likes to carry the puck himself and that's when he's the most effective. Carter is also at his most effective when HE carries the puck, not when he's getting set up by another. I actually think that Powe would be a great fit beside Carter. Powe reminds me a lot of Upshall except that he actually plays smart. Powe hustles when on the ice and I think he's be a great "puck hound" to do some of the dirty work with Hartnell and Carter. I think he'd help to open up some ice for Carter and I think he'd work well around the net looking for rebounds. I don't know if he has the finishing ability to benefit from collecting garbage goals off of plays from Carter but he can't be much worse than Upshall's 7 goals last year.

I think that of all the guys we have signed right now that if we run with 3 scoring lines (figuring Giroux and Briere paired together) I like either Powe or JVR (if he's ready) on Carters wing the most (note, if it's JVR then Hartnell would most likely have to swap sides).

Old
07-24-2009, 01:14 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I actually like that one. I think a Kaspar-Giroux-Briere could work out. I know in Sj they played him with Thorton and he put up points, but then they sent him back down.

I think a Hartnell-Carter-Pyorala could be cool. I have high hopes for Pyo and really think he will do well.

The Gagne-Richards-Powe line... I actually think could work out. I really think Powe could put up a decent amount of points. If not Powe, then maybe a phantom? JVR if he is ready?

I think what would look sweet would be

Gagne-Richards-JVR
Hartnell-Carter-Pyorala
Kaspar-Giroux-Briere
Carcillo-Lappy-Asham

7th guys is Powe or if one of Carcillo or Kaspar arent doing well, he is in for them.

If Kaspar shows he can be a good player, Pyo shows the two way game and some offensiveness he had overseas and JVR lives up to his 2nd overallness, that is a very solid group of forwards
I think Powe has a spot to lose at this point....And if we are going with pairings over 3 lines, just rotate him, Carcillo and Kaspar to where they fit best...I rather have them in the "top 6" than Lappy or Asham.

The only reason I am not considering JVR is that I hope they let him play in the minors at first....I also believe he could be a cap issue potentially

Old
07-24-2009, 01:20 PM
phlocky

My ideal lines would be the following:

Hartnell - Carter - Powe
JVR - Giroux - Briere
Gagne - Richards - Lappy
Carcillo - Ross??? - Asham

PK1 : Gagne - Richards
PK2 : Carter - Giroux

PP1 : Gagne - Richards- Briere
PP2 : Hartnell - Carter - Giroux

I think that's a pretty damned tough lineup. I don't think we need Afi TBH. Note, if Pyorala is NHL ready and defensively responsible then it might be better to have him beside Richards and Lappy on the 4th line. Lappy can then move up and down the lineup as injuries occure. Plus we'd still have Nodl and our ther recent signings in the AHL whom we could call up when needed.

Last edited by phlocky: 07-24-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old
07-24-2009, 01:29 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
See, I've got Pyorala marked for a line with Gagne and Richards and Maroon on a line with Carter and Hartnell. With regards to Briere and Giroux, that's where Lukas Kaspar could be used......
I don't see the point of Maroon and Hartnell on the same line. Maroon has the skillset to slide into Knuble's spot with Richie and Gagne. The other wing with Carter and Hartnell is sort of irrelevant, so I could see any number of people there (Powe might be a good fit). If we sign Afinogenov, I could see him getting put on a line with Giroux and Briere. Those two lines can go in a number of ways, but if Maroon makes this team I don't see any way he isn't Knuble's replacement.

Old
07-24-2009, 01:36 PM
Flyerfan808

I agree that Briere should not be with Richards and Gagne. I would much rather see a Briere - Giroux combo

Gagne-Richards-Nodl
JVR-Carter-Hartnell
Laperriere-Briere-Giroux
Carcillo-Pyorala-Asham

Timonen-Coburn
Pronger-Parent
Carle-Jones

Closed Thread