HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Line Predictions (2009/10 Season)

Closed Thread

Old
09-15-2009, 07:29 AM
IAN aka RYAN

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Carcillo scored more Goals than Powe had Points in 6 less games... in their first full years in the league.... FYI

Old
09-15-2009, 09:36 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I can't speak for the others on here who like Powe but for me it's a combination of his never give up play and the rapidity of his growth that I like. He went from undrafted to 3rd line AHL'er to emergency callup to 4th line center regular to 3rd liner (both center and wing at times) in a very short period of time. He beat out many others for the callup he got originally, then he sent Metro to waivers, then he shoved Carcillo back to the 4th line all in one season. Over the course of the season he earned himself a spot on the roster, and I really respect that.

If someone legitametely beats out Powe for a roster spot more power to them, but I don't really see who it will be. He is a very good skater and solid board work, gets in everyones face, is ugle (which all good role players have going for them for some reason- ie Kennedy), is defensively responsible, and takes the man not the puck. We can't base all roster spots on Hockey Database.com or else Svret would be our number one defenseman.

I absolutely loved the Legion of Doom in it's hayday but unfortunately since then people have decided that unless a line has 3 legit scoring threats on it it must be a junk line. Powe, Giroux and Briere were the best line in the playoffs period. For that reason alone they should be left together. If a better fit is found in the preaseason then great, who doesn't want it better? But to deny that those 3 had a good thing going is ridiculous. If all 3 players on the line are sitting in front of the net waiting for a pass they won't score many goals. I thought the balance of those 3 was great.

I don't really see it as Carcillo verus Powe as much as might be Cote vs Carcillo. If both Asham and Carcillo are on the team and we now add Lappy and Pronger versus Lupul and Sbisa the need for Cote may not be here anymore. Flip side if Stevens feels he needs a heavy weight suddenly the fact we have Asham and Lappy as middles may hurt Carcillos chances if faced with options like JVR for a scoring line or Pyorola for a checking role. I know there are a lot of Cote lovers who think he is an absolute lock to the make the team but I'm not remotely convinced of that. I say if we don't have an actualy true Heavy Weight champ type fighter then don't have a heavy weight at all. What point is a goon if he loses every fight. It's like a goalie that lets in every goal. Carcillo and Asham and even Lappy are all very capable of getting their faces rearranged by Laraque.

Old
09-15-2009, 10:32 AM
King Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Uh, because you are completely wrong about him, making pointless comparisons to smurfs?

Powe is much bigger than either of those guys, he's very solidly built so he can do more hitting. He's very fast, has tons of character and some surprising skill with the puck that we've seen glimpses of.

He'll be a good player for us again, and we need him to be.
Are you serious??? Larry, you need to get his junk out of your mouth...it's effecting your brain.

Old
09-15-2009, 10:37 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobiemonster5 View Post
Carcillo scored more Goals than Powe had Points in 6 less games... in their first full years in the league.... FYI

Ok if your going to go there. Carcillo in that season saw a good deal of PP time as a knuble type player. He was also used on the top two lines for allot of his games.

How many times does it need to be repeated. Powe will be on the opening night roster. Who said he doesn't have hands either?

http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?hlp=8473932

Apart from the two empty netters that he beat out players using his speed. Look at the atlanta goal. My favourite goal last year. If crosby did that everyone would be saying what an awesome player he is.

Kaktus just because you don't like the guy doesn't mean he's a hack. I find it funny that people don't even consider everything else he bring to the ice. Were you so harsh on hartnell in his first season here when he couldn't hit a barn door with a golf club. Powe scored 11 points and 6 goals on the 4th line last year. He then added 3 points in 6 games when partnered with giroux and briere.

Were you a huge fan of upshall? because powe scored one less goal than him while he was here. Yes thats right 1! less goal. Powe bring everything that upshall did too. He's fast, he hits hard, drives to the net, works the corners well, is a pretty good player in his own zone too

Old
09-15-2009, 11:03 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Ok if your going to go there. Carcillo in that season saw a good deal of PP time as a knuble type player. He was also used on the top two lines for allot of his games.

How many times does it need to be repeated. Powe will be on the opening night roster. Who said he doesn't have hands either?

http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?hlp=8473932

Apart from the two empty netters that he beat out players using his speed. Look at the atlanta goal. My favourite goal last year. If crosby did that everyone would be saying what an awesome player he is.

Kaktus just because you don't like the guy doesn't mean he's a hack. I find it funny that people don't even consider everything else he bring to the ice. Were you so harsh on hartnell in his first season here when he couldn't hit a barn door with a golf club. Powe scored 11 points and 6 goals on the 4th line last year. He then added 3 points in 6 games when partnered with giroux and briere.

Were you a huge fan of upshall? because powe scored one less goal than him while he was here. Yes thats right 1! less goal. Powe bring everything that upshall did too. He's fast, he hits hard, drives to the net, works the corners well, is a pretty good player in his own zone too
he brings more, he can also PK.

People are nuts if they think he's not making the team. In fact, he's got a very good shot to be in the top 9. He played there in the playoffs, played well and Stevens specifically mentioned him in the preseason and said he will have an increased role this year.

The guy makes $500K, can PK, decent defensively, hustles like mad, the fastest guy on the team supposedly, hits and is the perfect player for the new attack the puck style Stevens is looking to implement. What more can you want from a free agent signee?

Old
09-15-2009, 11:11 AM
EasyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger View Post
The guy makes $500K, can PK,
I think these are the two biggest reasons Powe is great to have on the team. He can PK, taking time away from Carter/Gagne on the PK keeping the fresher for ES time. Plus he is dirt cheap for a player ( believe it is 520K), and likely will be so again after this contract runs out.

I would rather have him playing on the wing in the top 9 then a player like Satan/Sykora making 3 or 4 times as much on the wing. As said before in this thread. Every line doesn't need 3 scorers on it, they also need players to do the dirty work. Something Powe does well. I personally have no problem with him being in the top 9.

Old
09-15-2009, 11:40 AM
mypunkrock

Powe also plays the game the right way. The few times I've been to a Flyers practice, he's the first one on the ice, and the last to leave.

Gotta love that in a player.

Regards,
Rick

Old
09-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Ok, specifically for idiots I will repeat this one more time. I did not say I do not like him. Yes, I am against him to play with Briere or Giroux or centering 3rd line or playing with Gagne and Richards. I said, I do not give a **** if he makes this team or not. He is unimportant, dime a dozen type of player. There are better players in training camp with better potential.

If Betts and JVR make this team Powe most likely will be in AHL. I have to say that we are dealing with Stevens and anything can happen.

Quote:
So Powe is similar to Upshall? lol Ok. Did Upshall play with Briere and Giroux last season?

Last edited by Kaktus*: 09-15-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old
09-15-2009, 11:53 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

regarding powe - i was at the atlantic district coaching clinic for usahockey this weekend, and one of the guest speakers was a flyers scout. i overheard him speaking to someone talking about the flyers. he said the organization (specifically stevens) loves powe. apparently, he is obsessed with being a hockey player. he works out like crazy, doesn't drink, doesn't do anything to his body that he perceives as being harmful. the guy is as dedicated as it comes. he is exactly the type of person that we need on this team, and i'd be shocked if he doesn't make it.

Old
09-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Ryanoceros
He Shoots, He Scores

I definitely feel Powe should be on the team.

As I watched Powe last season emerging as a 3rd line regular, I couldn't help but think back to Richards/Sharp circa 05-06. While I know that there's vast differences in the skill level and draft pedigree between Richards/Sharp and Powe, it was more the way he played the game that drew comparisons for me.

He's not flashy with the puck. He takes the simple plays when they're there. He's sound positionally and defensively. And he busts his hump on every shift. The only knock on him is his scoring touch, but if he gains some confidence in the offensive zone, I think he could put up some decent 3rd line numbers this season. Maybe somewhere in the 35-40 pt range?

EDIT: or...perhaps I'm crazy...haha

Old
09-15-2009, 01:11 PM
AC Le Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanoceros View Post
I definitely feel Powe should be on the team.

As I watched Powe last season emerging as a 3rd line regular, I couldn't help but think back to Richards/Sharp circa 05-06. While I know that there's vast differences in the skill level and draft pedigree between Richards/Sharp and Powe, it was more the way he played the game that drew comparisons for me.

He's not flashy with the puck. He takes the simple plays when they're there. He's sound positionally and defensively. And he busts his hump on every shift. The only knock on him is his scoring touch, but if he gains some confidence in the offensive zone, I think he could put up some decent 3rd line numbers this season. Maybe somewhere in the 35-40 pt range?

EDIT: or...perhaps I'm crazy...haha
Agreed. Anyone who watched Powe last year on a consistent basis knows he's a 3rd line mainstay for the Flyers. This kid, like you said, works as hard as anyone, if not harder and Philly we love that.

Powe is a vital cog on our bottom 6 - a heart and soul battler.

Old
09-15-2009, 01:49 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Ok, specifically for idiots I will repeat this one more time. I did not say I do not like him. Yes, I am against him to play with Briere or Giroux or centering 3rd line or playing with Gagne and Richards. I said, I do not give a **** if he makes this team or not. He is unimportant, dime a dozen type of player. There are better players in training camp with better potential.

If Betts and JVR make this team Powe most likely will be in AHL. I have to say that we are dealing with Stevens and anything can happen.

So Powe is similar to Upshall? lol Ok. Did Upshall play with Briere and Giroux last season?
LW
Gagne, Hartnell, JVR, Carcillo, Pyorala, Bell, Cote, Maroon
C
Richards, Carter, Betts, Powe
RW
Briere, Giroux, Lappy, Asham, Kolanos, Ward

This is how I see things, granted Briere and Giroux are capable Centers.

Old
09-15-2009, 01:55 PM
IrishSniper87

Timmy P is giving me the impression that Pyorala and JVR are locks.

Gagne-Richards-Lappy
Hartnell-Carter-Pyorala
JVR-Giroux-Briere
Carcillo-Powe/Betts-Asham
Cote/Bell

Old
09-15-2009, 02:05 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

There has got to no doubt that Pyorola and JVR are currently getting the most looks. It's still way to early to tell, but I hear their names every interview and no-one elses names ever. Are Matsumoto, Nodl and Ward even there? I've even heard more on Maroon and he's sidelined essentially.

I heard brief mention of Kaspar that played one day with Richards and Gagne, and then the same with Kolanos today, but I haven't heard Stevens or any of the players say anything positive about either one of them.

Old
09-15-2009, 02:07 PM
SolidSnakeUS

From how lines have been, it seems that Kolanos was with Gagne and Richards today. If you ask me, he may not put up points like Knuble, but he definitely has a big body and shoots right.

Gagne-Richards-Kolanos
Hartnell-Carter-Pyorala
JvR-Giroux-Briere
Carcillo-LaPerriere-Asham

Sign Betts to a two-way contract and maybe bring him up when Carcillo or Cote get out of hand.

Old
09-15-2009, 02:32 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

If Kolanos gets a roster spot over Powe I'll be surprised.

I can't see Betts signing a 2 way but you never know I guess. There are so many bottom 6 and especially 4th line combos it's scary.
Carcillo Betts Asham would be my fav but:
Carcillo Powe Asham
Powe Lappy Asham
Cote Lappy Asham
Cote Lappy Powe
Cote Betts Asham
Carcillo Powe Asham
Ward Powe Asham
the possibilites are endless.

Gagne Richards Powe- I'll never forget Powes first NHL goal came on Richards pass.
Hartnell Carter Pyorola- we'll see how it keeps working but early reports are good
JVR Giroux Briere- see above line for comments
Carcillo Lappy Asham
Betts or Cote 13th

Top 3 lines all get equal ice time even strength and the top 6 guys (we all know who they are) get the PP/PK along with Lappy.

Old
09-15-2009, 02:45 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
If Kolanos gets a roster spot over Powe I'll be surprised.

I can't see Betts signing a 2 way but you never know I guess. There are so many bottom 6 and especially 4th line combos it's scary.
Carcillo Betts Asham would be my fav but:
Carcillo Powe Asham
Powe Lappy Asham
Cote Lappy Asham
Cote Lappy Powe
Cote Betts Asham
Carcillo Powe Asham
Ward Powe Asham
the possibilites are endless.

Gagne Richards Powe- I'll never forget Powes first NHL goal came on Richards pass.
Hartnell Carter Pyorola- we'll see how it keeps working but early reports are good
JVR Giroux Briere- see above line for comments
Carcillo Lappy Asham
Betts or Cote 13th

Top 3 lines all get equal ice time even strength and the top 6 guys (we all know who they are) get the PP/PK along with Lappy.
I would definitely like to see Kolanos getting a chance to have a normal spot on a roster, because he hasn't had one his whole career. Do you really think the Flyers will have a 13th foward and a 7th d-man? So maybe 22 players on the roster? Can they do that? I thought it was a max of 20 players... I guess I missed something haha.

Old
09-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Uh, because you are completely wrong about him, making pointless comparisons to smurfs?

Powe is much bigger than either of those guys, he's very solidly built so he can do more hitting. He's very fast, has tons of character and some surprising skill with the puck that we've seen glimpses of.

He'll be a good player for us again, and we need him to be.
Powe is very much like Marty Murray - a good 4th line checker with minimal skills. In 60 games I want to see more than glimpses of his surprising skill. Nothing he did last year surprised me at all.

A 2nd year player who scored 6 goals in 60 games with "tons of character" that's what he is. And enough of this "he never gives up on a play". Know why? because if he ever gave up on a play for even a second he'd be back in the AHL because he's just NOT THAT FRICKIN GOOD. He would have played in 15 games last year if Kalinski hadn't got hurt.

By the way I like him on our 4th line just fine but there will be 5 Adirondack Phantoms that could easily fill his spot this season.

Old
09-15-2009, 03:06 PM
tuckrr

dont get me wrong, powe is great. But powe over maroon or JVR?
i'd rather have JVR on the ice than powe, end of story i dont care if powe is a better checker, has a better last name or whatever, powe didnt get drafted. JVR went 2nd overall

Old
09-15-2009, 03:11 PM
SolidSnakeUS

So from what people are saying about Powe not getting the points, then:

Gagne-Richards-Kolanos
Hartnell-Carter-Pyorala
JvR-Giroux-Briere

Or if Betts is on the team at the beginning of the season:

Gagne-Richards-Asham
Hartnell-Carter-Pyorala
JvR-Giroux-Briere
Carcillo-Betts-LaPerriere

Asham I find is the more reliable guy to play with Gagne and Richards, and still has more potential to get more points than LaPerriere. And switch Powe and Cote as the 13th forward.

Old
09-15-2009, 03:30 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
From how lines have been, it seems that Kolanos was with Gagne and Richards today. If you ask me, he may not put up points like Knuble, but he definitely has a big body and shoots right.

Gagne-Richards-Kolanos
Hartnell-Carter-Pyorala
JvR-Giroux-Briere

Sign Betts to a two-way contract and maybe bring him up when Carcillo or Cote get out of hand.
Quote:
I would definitely like to see Kolanos getting a chance to have a normal spot on a roster, because he hasn't had one his whole career. Do you really think the Flyers will have a 13th foward and a 7th d-man? So maybe 22 players on the roster? Can they do that? I thought it was a max of 20 players... I guess I missed something haha.
Quote:
So from what people are saying about Powe not getting the points, then:

Gagne-Richards-Kolanos
Hartnell-Carter-Pyorala
JvR-Giroux-Briere

Or if Betts is on the team at the beginning of the season:

Gagne-Richards-Asham
Hartnell-Carter-Pyorala
JvR-Giroux-Briere
Carcillo-Betts-LaPerriere

Asham I find is the more reliable guy to play with Gagne and Richards, and still has more potential to get more points than LaPerriere. And switch Powe and Cote as the 13th forward.
First off, Kolanos is a longshot. He will not make this team if Pyorala is in.

Second, he will certainly not line up with with Richards and Gagne if he does make it. They are trying a few things in practice, sure, but this is practice we are talking about. I can believe Pyorala with Hartnell and Carter if they like him, but I don't expect much else surprising.

Third, max roster size is 23, but in a cap world, it's rare to see teams go over 21 or 22 since only 20 players can dress on game night. A 7th d-man AND a 13th forward is possible but unlikely when a team is in such cap hell.

Also, if you have 20 guys who are healthy, every additional player basically spends his time in the pressbox anyway, so it's better to send that player back down to the AHL to play.

Old
09-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
They are trying a few things in practice, sure, but this is practice we are talking about.

This gentleman would like a word with you about the topic at hand:

Old
09-15-2009, 05:00 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
This gentleman would like a word with you about the topic at hand:

I raise you one:

Old
09-15-2009, 11:59 PM
tuckrr

Maroon-Richards-Briere
Hartnell-Carter-Lappiere
Gagne- Giroux- JVR
Powe-Betts-Ashma

whats wrong with that? am i missing someone?

Old
09-16-2009, 12:21 AM
mypunkrock

Maroon making the first line seems damn near impossible.

Maroon making any line seems unlikely.

Unless we do a major salary dump.

Regards,
Rick

Closed Thread