HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Hossa to Edmonton?

Old
06-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Homesick

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
have to wait until July 1 just like any other ufa
Why? wouldn't he be in the same category as Ray Emery? UFA from the KHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
no you can't.. we traded him just before his NTC kicked in
yes we can.....his NTC was null and void the second he was traded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discipline View Post
We don't have to honor that if I understand correctly.
We do not. There were rumours that the Oilers were going to honour it regardless; but I have yet to see a link to where Lowe/Tambellini actually said they would.

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

vCash: 500
He's coming back to the 'burgh.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
Why? wouldn't he be in the same category as Ray Emery? UFA from the KHL.
Upon further thought I don't think is a UFA...he signed a 2 yr contract in Russia and would need to walk away from the contract I believe....but since there is no formal NHL-KHL agreement his KHL contract status does not matter to the NHL......for some reason I remember there being talk of a July 1 signing...maybe has to do with the Oilers # of contracts ...

Rafters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Randall Graves*

Why would the Oilers want to be that losers sloppy seconds? screw him

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Avery? Is that you?

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 10:32 PM
jsak19

^ LMAO.

jsak19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:00 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Edmonton can't afford to sign Hossa.

Whatever money we get freed up from Roloson's contract expiring must go towards landing a new goalie, because the #2 and #3 guys aren't ready to play the role of starter.

Plus, Edmonton has too many forwards.

Hemsky,Horcoff, Penner, O'Sullivan, Nilson, Cogliano(1 year at 1.3), Gagner, Moreau, Brodziak(RFA), Pisani(1 year at 2.5), JFJ(1 year at unknown), Stortini, Big Mac, Pouliot(1 year at 800k), Schremp(RFA), Poltuny(think he's RFA), and Reddox.

I know there's lots of low paid garbage in there, but it's hard to go after anyone big when you've got 20+ mill sunk into your defense and Horcoff(7) and Penner(4.25) getting overpaid as much as they are.

Only way Edmonton is going to do anything significant in the off-season is by finding a few trade partners. I refuse to believe anyone is going to take on Horcoff's contract, but there might be someone out there who could take on the following:

Penner - 4.25(3 years remaining)
Pisani - 2.5(1 year remaining)
Moreau - 2.5-2.9... (2-3 years remaining forget)
Stiaos - 2.7? (2 years remaining)
Gilbert - 4 - (4 years remaining)
Nilson - 2 - (2 years remaining)

These are guys who can be easily replaced with the exception of Gilbert. For Edmonton to give themselves a new and improved look over the off-season it'll be key for them to unload some of these guys starting with Penner. Penner, Nilson and O'Sullivan all play LW and they're top-6 type players. You're not going to get much out of them on the 3rd line unless you skate 3 scoring lines.

If they can't get rid of Penner via trade, it would be smart to send him down on waivers right before the season starts.(Once teams have filled up on cap space) Bring him back up asap and you've got a guy playing for you at half the price of the cap hit. If someone else steals him that means Edmonton will be paying 2,125,000 of his salary, but they'll also have that much cap space. That money could go towards signing a very competent 3rd line center, which is 10 times more that what Penner amount to.

Question: If I send you down on waivers and a team claims you before you clear waivers while being sent down does the team take the full cap hit? I assume that they do and only get a discount when grabbing a player who's coming in on re-entry waivers...

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Edmonton can't afford to sign Hossa...
Moot point and you put waaay too much thinking into it. What part of Hossa leaving Pittsburgh for Detroit did people not clue in on? The only way Hossa goes to another team is if he thinks they have a better shot at winning the Cup than his current team. That much he has shown the world.

And I doooon't think Edmonton fits that criteria this coming year... I doubt he learned enough humility this year to take his medicine, hunker down, and try to help a team through a rebuild. Or in other words, to know his role, and shut his damn mouth, as the Rock might say.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 11:14 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post

19 year old data. Quite the bulletproof case you got there.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 02:52 AM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafters View Post
would not be surprised if the Oilers offer Hossa a contract, but more likely in the 5.5 to 6.5 mill a yr for 5/6 yrs
What a joke 5.5 to 6.5? HA. Minnesota offered Gaborik 8M a season and he's still testing the free agent market. Teams like Minnesota or anyother team can easily out bid that ridiculous offer.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:07 AM
Lounge Act*

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
Hossa and his agent, Ritch Winter, had their chance at the richest deal in hockey. They turned it down. They're not going to get that same offer form Edmonton ever again. With the economic climate and speculation of a reduced cap, I doubt any player will get that type of contract offer again. They missed the bus.
My thoughts exactly.

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:11 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Oh God, please no... want no part of Hossa... but that's just me.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:11 AM
Laszlo Panaflex

Does Quinn still hate him? If not, does Hossa even want to play for him?

Laszlo Panaflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:14 AM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Selanne was Anaheim's sloppy seconds, just so ya know. Twice. Maybe Tverdovsky will come back...might help that PP of your's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regin 43 View Post
We can trade Gilbert/Visnovski/Souray.

It's not like our high paid players have 0 value or anything. There are many ways that we can create cap space.
They don't have 0 value, it's just that either you have to find the right trade for that player that makes sense, or a team willing to take on the salary. Neither is easy.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:14 AM
AgentNaslund*

Edmonton has little room to work with, as they got a little over 5 million dollars in cap room.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:21 AM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

Goodness Edmontonians...You guys need to suck for a decade, draft well, win the Stanley Cup. End of story.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:23 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Selanne was Anaheim's sloppy seconds, just so ya know. Twice. Maybe Tverdovsky will come back...might help that PP of your's.

They don't have 0 value, it's just that either you have to find the right trade for that player that makes sense, or a team willing to take on the salary. Neither is easy.
lol @ Comparing Hossa to Selanne

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 03:56 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
Goodness Edmontonians...You guys need to suck for a decade, draft well, win the Stanley Cup. End of story.
That's right, just let him go straight to Vancouver... so he can help you can win a Cup along with all the fantastic pieces they've assembled through the draft over the years...

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 04:17 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
That's right, just let him go straight to Vancouver... so he can help you can win a Cup along with all the fantastic pieces they've assembled through the draft over the years...
Now you're just being ridiculous. Everyone knows Vancouver is the class of the league after winning... well, I forget how many Cups, but it was a lot!

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 06:43 AM
streeky

Hossa had a tough play off run, and has been dragged through the gutter about jumping ship to try and win a cup, only to loose to the team he jumped from. Also it is being said that he lacks heart (witch i dont agree with). Maybe he wants to prove a point to himself, and everyone else? Take a few Mil less a year, something in the 5 mil range, and with a team that isnt considered a favorite, but one on the up swing that can surprise everyone? Say the Edmonton Oilers? I could definitely see this happening, and i can see him having a great year while trying to prove his point!

ahhh a man can dream!

had to get my first post off at some point....lol, this thread seemed as good as any other.

streeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 06:52 AM
Duponttime*

You would think that Oilers fans would realize by now that the best UFA's don't want to play in Edmonton. Personally, I think that stinks but that's the way it is.

Duponttime* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 11:13 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by streeky View Post
Hossa had a tough play off run, and has been dragged through the gutter about jumping ship to try and win a cup, only to loose to the team he jumped from. Also it is being said that he lacks heart (witch i dont agree with). Maybe he wants to prove a point to himself, and everyone else? Take a few Mil less a year, something in the 5 mil range, and with a team that isnt considered a favorite, but one on the up swing that can surprise everyone? Say the Edmonton Oilers? I could definitely see this happening, and i can see him having a great year while trying to prove his point!

ahhh a man can dream!

had to get my first post off at some point....lol, this thread seemed as good as any other.
Calm down on the weed before bed.

Seriously though, that wouldn't happen but hopefully he would go to Edmonton for slightly less then most people would expect.

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:00 AM
davegagnerskid

Could happen. He won't get the 9M offer he would of rec'd last season, but the Oilers could take on his salary. One of our top paid d-men could be moved and we have a plethora of forwards that we could package off for picks and prospects. It was reported that Katz wouldn't hesitate to bury some contracts in the minors if really had too.

Another interesting summer for Oilers fans. Never a dull moment.

davegagnerskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Regin 43*

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegagnerskid View Post
Could happen. He won't get the 9M offer he would of rec'd last season, but the Oilers could take on his salary. One of our top paid d-men could be moved and we have a plethora of forwards that we could package off for picks and prospects. It was reported that Katz wouldn't hesitate to bury some contracts in the minors if really had too.

Another interesting summer for Oilers fans. Never a dull moment.
The only conract that I could see him burying to the minors is Nilsson. He can't do Horcoff because as overpaid as he is, he is really important to the team. Penner will improve under the new coaches and isn't worth it. And Staois veteran leadership will be important. So I guess we might see Nilsson in the minors next year and hopefully a big free agent signing.

And yes, I have a feeling that Gilbert will get traded even though I'd rather keep him and trade off Souray for a good young forward and a draft pick then sign Hossa. Should be an interesting offseason (much like last years).

Regin 43* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:27 PM
neus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post

where did u find that chart?

neus* is offline   Reply With Quote