HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Composite stick question

Old
06-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Composite stick question

So, I play in a ball hockey league. For the last year and a half I've been playing in this other league that was played on gym floors. I used to use my one piece composite sticks there since... well, they worked rather well, and I was comfortable with them.

The new league I'm in plays on indoors on cement, though. I assume it'd be a horrible idea to switch back to the one pieces since the floor would just grind it down quickly (I'm using my old wood stick for now).

Would I be right to assume this? Or would using an old composite stick once a week for an hour not be the end of the world?

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Escapades

vCash: 500
It wouldn't be the end of the world necessarily, I play in an adult league sometimes at an outdoor rink with a concrete surface and alot of guys there use composite sticks. But if I were you I would go with wood, it will last you longer, they are cheaper to replace, and I done know about you just I think they feel better when playing on a concrete surface.

Escapades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 10:51 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
If it's smooth concrete, you should be fine. And I can't imagine you would be playing on anything else.

Bring a woodie just in case, or even better anything with an ABS blade, but bring the composite too. If it's smooth concrete like in most garages, you should be fine using a composite stick.

If it's rough at all, don't use a composite.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2009, 10:58 PM
shmab

It would be way more cost effective to get a wooden shaft with a plastic blade. Plastic is the way to go for ball hockey, composite cant even compare.

shmab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
If it's smooth concrete, you should be fine. And I can't imagine you would be playing on anything else.

Bring a woodie just in case, or even better anything with an ABS blade, but bring the composite too. If it's smooth concrete like in most garages, you should be fine using a composite stick.

If it's rough at all, don't use a composite.
Yeah, it's smooth. I'm playing on an ice rink, without the ice. I'll probably bring an old stick that I haven't used for a while, just to see how it goes.

Old
06-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Areid1990

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Yeah, it's smooth. I'm playing on an ice rink, without the ice. I'll probably bring an old stick that I haven't used for a while, just to see how it goes.
If it's an ice rink with out the ice their shouldn't be a problem with grinding down a composite. The smooth concrete would probably grind it down less then ice.

Now if it was outdoor rink/street pavement type stuff that's a whole different story.

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2009, 03:54 PM
FelixPotvin

As many have said, if it's indoors, the concrete should be sealed and very smooth, and your composite stick will survive just fine.

FelixPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

I guess I'll try this tonight and see how it goes.

Old
06-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Bud2790

I got my 1st composite stick 3-4 years ago, I played quite a bit with it and I started using it on the street last year and i still use it today. Obviously it's starting to show wear and tear on the heel of the stick, but playing on the street just about every other day, I consider it to still be in very good shape.

So I wouldn't worry about using it once a week for 1 hour...

Bud2790 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 07:42 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2790 View Post
I got my 1st composite stick 3-4 years ago, I played quite a bit with it and I started using it on the street last year and i still use it today. Obviously it's starting to show wear and tear on the heel of the stick, but playing on the street just about every other day, I consider it to still be in very good shape.

So I wouldn't worry about using it once a week for 1 hour...
I don't think that's very smart...but if it works for you...what stick was it, and how much?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm not sure about anything ball hockey, but I have a One90 shaft and Montreal M95 blade for outdoor shooting practice. It's a wood blade with ABS core and bottom so it holds up for a really long time yet stays stiff and is pretty cheap. Shoots great.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Pascal

do you guys tape the bottom of the stick for indoors play? or use a "blade tape" to grip the ball better?

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2009, 07:31 PM
AIREAYE

well, taping the bottom with black tape will mark the surface (dunno about white tho) and the tape will quickly wear off anyways

and i dont ever tape my sticks for ball/road hockey depending on the ball. If the ball is hard plastic, unyielding, then tape doesnt matter. BUT if the ball is soft and squeezable, then dont use tape, it 'grips' the ball way too much when you are shooting/passing and even stickhandling. The blade sort of slides over the ball.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote