HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Do better gloves equal better grip?

Old
12-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Knight

vCash: 500
Do better gloves equal better grip?

I'm rocking some dirt cheap Bauer Vapor X:20s right now, because I love the vapor fit. I have grippy stick, and I really like the grip feel with my bare hands. With my gloves on, I barely notice it, and I find it's relatively hard to get a good hard grip on the stick to flex it into the ice.

I'm wondering if my bottom-of-the-barrel gloves are worth upgrading for a better grip.

Thoughts?

Thank you oh wise HF members

Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 02:52 AM
MNWild9

It's not going to determine what kinda of gloves you use. Its going to determine how good the grip is on the stick. If needing extra grip either make a sticky roll (take tape and flip inside out on a old part of a stick and rub it on the stick) or take blade wax and rub it on the stick.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 07:53 AM
Redstreak

The grip on the stick definitely plays a factor, but I would think that the palm material would definitely play a part.

Redstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Coachtdoig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
I'm rocking some dirt cheap Bauer Vapor X:20s right now, because I love the vapor fit. I have grippy stick, and I really like the grip feel with my bare hands. With my gloves on, I barely notice it, and I find it's relatively hard to get a good hard grip on the stick to flex it into the ice.

I'm wondering if my bottom-of-the-barrel gloves are worth upgrading for a better grip.

Thoughts?

Thank you oh wise HF members
It wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade or to even get your gloves you have now re-palmed. If you like that natural feel with your bare hands I recommend checking around to find the thinnest palm material. That way you will have as close to the bare handed feel as you can get, while keeping your fingers safe and protected in your glove.

Just a thought, I'm sure others have great ideas too.

Ciao,
TD

Coachtdoig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The palm material can play a part. It's not necessarily better or worse, just different.

I've had palms with little grippy rubber things on them that were great for non-grip sticks but were WAY too sticky with grip. And I've had gloves with smooth leather palms that were slippery with non-grip but great with grip sticks.

It's hard to add MORE grip to a grip stick, but you could either try rubbing the shaft with the sticky part of hockey tape or doing a candy cane wrap with tape.

I would NOT recommend blade wax on the shaft of the stick because I tried that once and got wax all over my gloves. Really a mess.

Also, if you go glove shopping, be sure to take your stick or try one in the store. Just another thing to check while fitting them.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2013, 07:38 PM
SpringfieldSkins

I think the more expensive gloves mostly offer better protection. I went from a high end CCM glove to a cheaper one and I actually prefer the cheaper ones. They seem like they allow more roll of my wrists.

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2013, 11:11 PM
r3cc0s

the fit and the palms are the most important for gaining best feel on a stick

personally I think Clarino is the best... it breaks in quickly, is reasonably durable, and is thin.

Digital is also very good, but nowhere near as durable in my experience.

Fit is very important, as some people like a tapered fit, some like roomy..

I like 4 rolls, but I also like the old Z-Airs that Iggy and Richards rocks, and I get mine repalmed every couple years

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote