Notices

Moving to Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old
06-15-2009, 09:51 PM
GoMarkov79

vCash: 500
Moving to Atlanta

Hi guys, I'm moving to Atlanta this september to start a new career at Emory University. I'm from Montreal, a great city for hockey! I'm wondering if you guys have arenas in Atlanta to play pickup ice hockey or adult hockey leagues. I'm used to play twice a week the whole year here in Montreal. Are there a lot of hockey fans in Atlanta and is it easy to find a league to play hockey? Thanks!

Old
06-15-2009, 10:53 PM
Koval17

they have like 2000 arenas in the U.S, we have like 20,000 , im not from atlanta, but they prob dont have it like us, theres like 10 arenas in my city alone, i go to shinny every day

Old
06-15-2009, 11:39 PM
BreakTheWallsDown
HFBoards Prospect

Send a message via AIM to BreakTheWallsDown Send a message via MSN to BreakTheWallsDown
I don't personally play hockey around here but a few of my friends do. and I know for a fact some of the people on this board play, so I'm sure someone can tell you about some.

bottom line is I know there are plenty of places to play and I know of one just a few miles from where i live (about 20 minutes outside of atlanta) but someone else on here can give you better info about it.

Old
06-15-2009, 11:56 PM
blankspace6

There are no rinks in the Emory area, but there are 3 that are all within 20-30 minute drives. All 3 have adult leagues and pickup games.

The Thrashers practice at the Duluth Ice Forum. 2 sheets.
The Cooler is the nicest of the 3. 2 sheets.
The MIC (Marietta Ice Center) would be the furthest away. 1 regular sized rink, plus a smaller sheet used for open skates and 3v3 games.

Old
06-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Selanne08*

Yeah sadly your going to find it a problem trying to find close places to play.

North Druid Hills -- the Emory area is pretty chill. Lotta rich daddys girls go out around there as they are going to school at Emory.

Old
06-16-2009, 03:43 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Atlanta is a great city to be playing hockey in.

4 rinks, plenty of leagues, huge mix of people / skill levels, and the stick times (offered at all the rinks) almost always have enough for a decent pickup game. I started skating a little over a year ago and really can't play enough.

Rinks:
Marietta Ice Center (Marietta)
The Cooler (Alpharetta)
Ice Forum Kennesaw
Ice Forum Duluth

I'd recommend you go to the stick times at the Cooler, skill level is usually pretty high relative to the area, make a few friends and see what league / level they play at and jump in from there. The AAHL runs a tight ship, I personally would recommend it over the Ice Forum's leagues, but they are both great options.

Here are the league offerings for the AAHL:

http://www.sportability.com/spx/Leag...p?ClientID=102

Welcome to Atlanta

Last edited by DungeonK: 06-16-2009 at 03:49 AM.
Old
06-16-2009, 03:46 AM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoMarkov79 View Post
Hi guys, I'm moving to Atlanta this september to start a new career at Emory University. I'm from Montreal, a great city for hockey! I'm wondering if you guys have arenas in Atlanta to play pickup ice hockey or adult hockey leagues. I'm used to play twice a week the whole year here in Montreal. Are there a lot of hockey fans in Atlanta and is it easy to find a league to play hockey? Thanks!
I went to grad school at Emory and lived next to campus for a decade.

There are six ice sheets in the city, all about 25-30 north of campus.
2 at Duluth (Thrashers practice facility)
1 at Kennesaw
2 at Alpharetta
1 at Marietta

The Thrashers sheet is awesome but that league is very poorly managed in my opinion. Game times are changed with little notice and ringers are allowed to show up and play all the time. I did it one season and said "never again."

The Marietta rink is the oldest and the building is not good. They working on it but I still hate playing there. It is slightly smaller than regulation and has a tiny neutral zone. The Zamboni end net moorings are about one foot off center too--weird.

The Kennesaw rink is famous for poor ice. I have not skated on it in four years even though I work right next door.

That leaves the Cooler in Alpharetta. They have Open League (8 skill levels with playoffs, 20 game schedule), Rec League (mixed skill levels--tending toward novice level--no playoffs 13 game season and Over 35 League--I'm guessing you are too young for that one.

Emory put a team into the highest skill level last season (AAA). They really should have split into two because they had some very skilled guys and some not-so-skilled guys. Elite guys are not allowed to play down and because Team Emory wanted to stick together they got slaughered when their not-as-skilled guys where on the ice. I'm not sure what they are doing the coming season (first games of the summer season begin tomorrow.

If you want to play Open League, the next sign up will be around Thanksgiving time, that season will start in early Dec three week holiday break and then run from Jan-April. The Summer season runs June-October. I have no idea of the schedule for leagues at the other rinks.

If you're from Montreal and have been playing for years I'm guessing you're AAA or AA. AAA tends to be former college, minor pro or travel team level guys. Former NHLer Scott Pearson is around and plays. Bob Hartley and Jeff Odgers used to play in the summer when they were on the Thrashers.

If you want to play right away the next Rec League season will start in late August right about when Emory beings--but Rec is very much a "for fun" beer league. They have a hat trick rule--after you score three they stop counting--that cut down on the guys who showed up trying to score 5-6 goals a game against beginner level players. Rec is a lot of fun if you're just looking to play and have a beer afterwords.

I once drafted a guy in Rec who had just moved here from Calgary--he told me on the phone he was 40 and slow now--he was one of the best guys in the league LOL--went to AAA the next season. Turns out he played some level of junior hockey as a kid.

Send me a PM if you have more questions. I'm a team captain in both the Open League and Rec League have have played here for 12 years since moving from Michigan.

Last edited by Enstrom39: 06-16-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Old
06-16-2009, 09:21 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Hi guys, I'm moving to Atlanta this september to start a new career at Emory University.
Welcome to Atlanta.

It looks like a lot of the others have answered about the places to play. I'll just say that there are a lot of hockey fans here, but not many show up due to how bad the team has been in recent years. I think it's that way in most places, though. (see: Chicago, Detroit, Washington, Colorado, etc)

Old
06-16-2009, 09:48 AM
GoMarkov79

Thanks for your responses guys, I can't wait to visit the campus and look around the city. I never played Junior or Professionnal so I'm definitely not going to play in AAA but I've been playing hockey since I was 8.

I think the Trashers is starting to have a decent team with Kovalchuk, Little, Enstrom, Bogosian (I really like this guy's potential) and Lethonen. Good players in every position. I'm looking forward to go to the games. Here in Montreal I rarely can get tickets, they are sold out too quickly. See you in september!!!

Old
06-16-2009, 10:18 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Thanks for your responses guys, I can't wait to visit the campus and look around the city. I never played Junior or Professionnal so I'm definitely not going to play in AAA but I've been playing hockey since I was 8.

I think the Trashers is starting to have a decent team with Kovalchuk, Little, Enstrom, Bogosian (I really like this guy's potential) and Lethonen. Good players in every position. I'm looking forward to go to the games. Here in Montreal I rarely can get tickets, they are sold out too quickly. See you in september!!!
Tons of cheap tickets to all the games, get ready for as much NHL hockey as you can handle.

Old
06-16-2009, 10:27 AM
fatschoonerrat

Just learn to put the 'h' in Thrashers

Old
06-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Selanne08*

Quote:

Never buy a ticket before hand. Always, always scalp.

Never pay more than $10 a ticket unless its against Detroit on a Friday night. Start at $4 and usually most ill be willing to pay is $6 and these are for the $42 dollar tickets.

Unless you are going season tickets. Or it might be harder to scalp lower level tickets.

Old
06-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne08 View Post
Never buy a ticket before hand. Always, always scalp.

Never pay more than $10 a ticket unless its against Detroit on a Friday night. Start at $4 and usually most ill be willing to pay is $6 and these are for the $42 dollar tickets.

Unless you are going season tickets. Or it might be harder to scalp lower level tickets.
With all the losing you can get into almost any week night game for $10 unless DET or PIT is visiting.

Old
06-16-2009, 12:24 PM
Selanne08*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
With all the losing you can get into almost any week night game for $10 unless DET or PIT is visiting.
10 is way too much

Old
06-16-2009, 01:40 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
10 is way too much
How do you get decent tickets from a legit source for less than $10?

Old
06-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Selanne08*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
How do you get decent tickets from a legit source for less than $10?
Alright here is my key to getting cheap tickets..

and these were games against Washington on opening night, Washington couple more times, Montreal, Philly, and Detroit. (Detroit we paid $15 for $42 tickets. Most ive ever paid for those.. it was also Friday night and spring break time. Ton of travelers down)

So the key is to go around 6:45 - 7ish.. games usually 7:05. I've never missed puck drop. Once or twice I missed national anthem.

So you just basically park and walk up.. you see scalpers everywhere and you ask if they got tickets.. they always do.. stacks of them. You say how much. Theyll prob start fair value or like 30 a ticket. Just say oh no way I'll get them cheaper and keep walking usually they just bug you how much how much. Say 5 bucks a ticket all I got. I usually have even cash for 3 tickets or so. They have so many tickets so they have to get rid of them and the later you go the better. They may laugh at first be like no chance... but be like whatever. There is so many scalpers and on week nights no one goes.

Oh and for free parking**
The new tech dorms they bought from GA State.. the ones u see on the side of the high way.. they have like apartments all along that road .. whatever the road the olympic park is on and phillips arena is on. So you can park on the side of the road and walk up. Granted its not the most fun walk but maybe 3-4 mins. I used to live in those dorms and park for free there. Beats 5 bucks or 10 bucks if your cheap. And its a safe walk. Cop station and cops always directing traffic. No worries about anything unless your a girl alone.. thats a no brainer.

If I figure any new techniques this year Ill pass them along.. but trust me dont spend so much on tickets.. I love going to like 8-10 games a year and spending under $100. I use the money for cheaper beer in the CNN center.

Old
06-17-2009, 07:14 PM
Georgia Dawg

Welcome to Atlanta.

This thread has made me think about starting to skate and playing in a league. I have not skated since 8th grade. Considering how much I love hockey, it only makes sense that I should try it out.

Old
06-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Enstrom39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Dawg View Post
Welcome to Atlanta.

This thread has made me think about starting to skate and playing in a league. I have not skated since 8th grade. Considering how much I love hockey, it only makes sense that I should try it out.
If you're starting from zero the 3 on 3 league gets you more ice time and more puck touches. Otherwise Rec is a good place to start out and meet people.

Old
06-17-2009, 10:52 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Falconer View Post
If you're starting from zero the 3 on 3 league gets you more ice time and more puck touches. Otherwise Rec is a good place to start out and meet people.
Both leagues come highly recommended- stopping by play it again sports and buying a bunch of old hockey gear then signing up for 3 on 3 was one of the best decisions I've ever made. At the time I couldn't skate at all, and it has taken about a year to become mildy competitive, but I've really enjoyed the ride.

Old
06-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Magnus Fulgur

Welcome to Atlanta! I'm in downtown Decatur near Emory and a good friend is a prof there. I'm originally from Boston and I've really enjoyed the leagues and the stick time (especially at the Cooler). Where else can you play with:
1.) An enforcer from the CHL
2.) A guy who played Juniors in Finland
3.) A guy who's playing for Victoria
4.) Three guys from the Czech Republic who learned how to play in Atlanta
5.) A Californian from Rhodesia
6.) Born and Bred Georgians
7.) A walk-on from the Bruins
8.) A contract worker from Montreal
9.) The owner of The Atlanta Brewing Company

Seriously, I remember playing with all these guys a couple of summers ago. Playing pickup on a line with the Finn and the Bruins walk-on was a treat...and all levels of players are welcomed and encouraged. There are plenty of guys who played in college etc. and it's a great atmosphere. The rinks aren't ideal compared to Quebec, but we played on a lot of really bad rinks in Boston!!!

Old
06-18-2009, 01:14 PM
The Maltais Falcon

What will you be doing at Emory? I happen to work there myself.

Old
06-18-2009, 04:22 PM
GoMarkov79

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maltais Falcon View Post
What will you be doing at Emory? I happen to work there myself.
I will be doing a postdoctoral research in the department of Pharmacology. My work will be on cancer and the development of anti-cancer drugs. We'll collaborate with the Winship Cancer Institute and the Chemical Biology Discovery Center. The position is normally for 2-3 years and if I like the city, I might try to find a job there and live there definitely. What about you?

Old
06-19-2009, 12:13 PM
AintLifeGrand

Quote:
Yeah sadly your going to find it a problem trying to find close places to play.

North Druid Hills -- the Emory area is pretty chill. Lotta rich daddys girls go out around there as they are going to school at Emory.
other than the buck, I would say the CDC-Emory-Briarcliff area is the 2nd most prestigious place to live in Atlanta. It is where i've lived all 21 years of my life aside from college and is the only place other than colorado i will consider living after school.

One of the benefits to living in Atlanta is our abundant greenery, atlanta is literally a city in a forest.

The closest rink to the emory area would be either the MIC or Duluth Ice Forum, the MIC is far more prestigious as it is the oldest ice rink in the area, and IMO has the best ice in the metro area,

The ice forum is okay, its where the thrash practice, but its in Gwinnett County, which is by f ar the worst area, lamest, and most kitsch area of Metro Atlanta

regardless, welcome to Dixie Land!

Old
06-19-2009, 12:28 PM
toph2o

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
other than the buck, I would say the CDC-Emory-Briarcliff area is the 2nd most prestigious place to live in Atlanta.
The ice forum is okay, its where the thrash practice, but its in Gwinnett County, which is by f ar the worst area, lamest, and most kitsch area of Metro Atlanta

regardless, welcome to Dixie Land!
I think most residents of Sugarloaf CC would disagree on the "most prestigious" title. It's all about what you're looking for from where you live, imho.

Old
06-19-2009, 12:37 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Meh, you have some pretty shabby stuff on the other side of Emory off Cheshire Bridge. Morningside and Virginia-Highlands are nice areas. And if you are a young and looking for good local nightlife nearby, you can't go wrong with an apartment in the Virginia-Highlands/Poncey-Highlands area. A place near downtown Decatur is also something to consider.

Closed Thread