HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Eklund: "Flyers working a deal with Kings"

Old
06-21-2009, 09:03 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
The Flyers arent trading or sending Randy Jones down to the minors. Holmgren and Stevens both love the guy. They are going to give him every opportunity to finish out his contract with this team. We know that is a unpopular decision but I think thats how it is. Add into the fact that Jones is coming off a season where he had 2 surgeries he has zero trade value right now.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:08 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
The Flyers arent trading or sending Randy Jones down to the minors. Holmgren and Stevens both love the guy. They are going to give him every opportunity to finish out his contract with this team. We know that is a unpopular decision but I think thats how it is. Add into the fact that Jones is coming off a season where he had 2 surgeries he has zero trade value right now.
Yet people still think he will be sent to the minors or easily traded. Jones is here another year sadly. I bet they try to resign him again in the offseason next year also. I really dont know what they see I they. Its always excusses when he plays bad.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:13 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
So....there is a draft next week. I think we make the trade to clear space then. It really is too bad we gave Briere the NMC, Briere for JBo's rights and another player would have been perfect!

As far as all this bashing of your team. It needs to stop. You can be critical, its your right. But this is your team. If we were the thrashers I feel like a lot of you would be jumping ship. Not every team can be a champ. Just one. We lost in the first round, yes, but we lost to the best team in the league. Personally, I stand by my team.
I actually don't want J-Bo- I think he'll be too expensive and I just don't like him because everyone loves him so much (no offense to anyone here who wants him) that being said I haven't seen him play so maybe I'm wrong. Would getting J-Bo really be a good idea if the cap is likely coming down in '10-'11? Even if we did manage to trade Briere J-Bo would just be filling up his cap space so we'd be in pretty much the same cap situation if the team stays pretty much the same, as everyone except for Biron, Nitty, Alberts, and Knuble have a contract that at least goes until the end of next season.

Edit: and At least three of the players whose contracts end in '09-'10 will probably deserve a pay raise even if it is small- Giroux, Parent, Coburn, and I would argue Powe.
Edit 2: Not Coburn sorry his contract ends in '10-'11

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 06-21-2009 at 09:24 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 09:20 PM
UseYourAllusion

If I'm not mistaken detroit has 4 players with cap hits of over $6 million. There's no problem locking that kind of money up, it's just a matter of giving it to the right guys. Bouwmeester is one of the right guys.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 10:43 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I'm so over Randy Jones. I'm over the fact he's here one more year. I'm over the fact he's probably gonna be resigned. I'm over him.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I'm so over Randy Jones. I'm over the fact he's here one more year. I'm over the fact he's probably gonna be resigned. I'm over him.
If he gets re-signed I'll be irate. We've got the depth coming up that, along with an acquisition or two this summer, he'll be one hundred percent, absolutely, entirely obsolete by the end of next season.

Timonen, Parent, Coburn, Marshall, Sbisa, Bourdon, Carle, FA acquisition(s). If they don't/can't see this, well...a riot's inevitable, French revolution style.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:11 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
If I'm not mistaken detroit has 4 players with cap hits of over $6 million. There's no problem locking that kind of money up, it's just a matter of giving it to the right guys. Bouwmeester is one of the right guys.
Notice that out of Detroit's 4 guys who make $6 or more, that 2 of them are defensemen. Notice that out of Anaheim's cup winning team, the only guys who made over $6 were defensemen.

I think bringing in Bouwmeester, at the cost of Briere and/or Lupul and/or Carle and a pick will move this team in the right direction. 2 STUD defensemen who can anchor the blueline. Between the 2 of them, you can have one of them on the ice for close to 45 minutes a night.

Coburn-Timonen
Parent-Bouwmeester

These two pairings are downright scary. I'd give Briere or Lupul or Carle for these in a pinch. Hell, if Gagne HAS to go, I would probably do it.

If anything, 3 good centers, solid defensive pairings and a hot goalie gives you a GREAT shot at the cup.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:11 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Marshall is going to camp this summer correct?

Old
06-21-2009, 11:13 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Marshall is going to camp this summer correct?
Marshall is probably not ready, but if he could sneak in as our 6th d-man, I wouldnt have a problem with it.

Old
06-21-2009, 11:13 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Notice that out of Detroit's 4 guys who make $6 or more, that 2 of them are defensemen. Notice that out of Anaheim's cup winning team, the only guys who made over $6 were defensemen.

I think bringing in Bouwmeester, at the cost of Briere and/or Lupul and/or Carle and a pick will move this team in the right direction. 2 STUD defensemen who can anchor the blueline. Between the 2 of them, you can have one of them on the ice for close to 45 minutes a night.

Coburn-Timonen
Parent-Bouwmeester

These two pairings are downright scary. I'd give Briere or Lupul or Carle for these in a pinch. Hell, if Gagne HAS to go, I would probably do it.

If anything, 3 good centers, solid defensive pairings and a hot goalie gives you a GREAT shot at the cup.
I did notice both. And I think bouwmeester is worth that kind of contract.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2009, 11:23 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Quote:
Marshall is probably not ready, but if he could sneak in as our 6th d-man, I wouldnt have a problem with it.
do you mean 7th?

Old
06-21-2009, 11:46 PM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I actually don't want J-Bo- I think he'll be too expensive and I just don't like him because everyone loves him so much (no offense to anyone here who wants him) that being said I haven't seen him play so maybe I'm wrong. Would getting J-Bo really be a good idea if the cap is likely coming down in '10-'11? Even if we did manage to trade Briere J-Bo would just be filling up his cap space so we'd be in pretty much the same cap situation if the team stays pretty much the same, as everyone except for Biron, Nitty, Alberts, and Knuble have a contract that at least goes until the end of next season.

Edit: and At least three of the players whose contracts end in '09-'10 will probably deserve a pay raise even if it is small- Giroux, Parent, Coburn, and I would argue Powe.
Nope, you were right the first time, Coburn's extension ends next summer.

On that note, does anyone else think it'd be wise of Homer to try and negotiate an extension this summer rather than in the middle of next year? Especially after Coburn had what many are calling an average year. If Homer can lock him up at a decent price now and Coburn becomes what most of us thought he'd become last year, we have a top 3 defenseman locked up at a pretty good price. On the other hand, if his progression continues to be stagnant next year, I guess we might have a problem.

Thoughts?

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 12:28 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post

On that note, does anyone else think it'd be wise of Homer to try and negotiate an extension this summer rather than in the middle of next year? Especially after Coburn had what many are calling an average year. If Homer can lock him up at a decent price now and Coburn becomes what most of us thought he'd become last year, we have a top 3 defenseman locked up at a pretty good price. On the other hand, if his progression continues to be stagnant next year, I guess we might have a problem.

Thoughts?
I like this thought process, though Coburn would have to have one horrible agent for this to transpire.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 12:32 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Would love to see Coburn locked up now, ahead of schedule. I think we've seen his worst season come and go.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 01:07 AM
ELab2

Quote:
do you mean 7th?
6th or bust, there's no way a guy coming out of juniors is the 7th, total waste of his time. Bodrov would be a greater possibility to be a surprise 6th.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 01:10 AM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
Would love to see Coburn locked up now, ahead of schedule. I think we've seen his worst season come and go.
depending on what they do as far as going after dmen this offseason I think it might be smart to wait. If they bring in a youngish top-3 there shouldn't be too much of a rush. If he plays lights out and earns an extra million than so what but there's no way he's going to sign for anything less than $4mil even early on.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 01:38 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
depending on what they do as far as going after dmen this offseason I think it might be smart to wait. If they bring in a youngish top-3 there shouldn't be too much of a rush. If he plays lights out and earns an extra million than so what but there's no way he's going to sign for anything less than $4mil even early on.
They need to get this cap situation under control before they sign anybody to a long term deal.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 09:37 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:

Giroux ends in '11. There's your biggest potential raise.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 09:52 AM
IrishSniper87

Coburn is signed this year and will be a RFA next season.

Old
06-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Downie View Post

Thoughts?
I'm sure that was the thought process that prompted Homer to ink Lupul a year before he had to... It can benefit the team, but it can also hand over more money than is deserved. Had Homer waited, and Lupul had the same year he had, the extension surely would have come at a more Cap friendly and realistic cost.

With the Cap situation a bad one for the Flyers, and the uncertainty of the Cap numbers going forward, I'd rather wait and see what Coburn does in regards to regaining his upward arc and what the Cap numbers hold.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Coburn is signed this year and will be a RFA next season.
I think that the fear of poaching Restricted players with Offer Sheets is greatly reduced... Coburn being Restricted should allow Homer to bide his time, IMO.

Old
06-22-2009, 10:30 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
I actually don't want J-Bo- I think he'll be too expensive and I just don't like him because everyone loves him so much (no offense to anyone here who wants him) that being said I haven't seen him play so maybe I'm wrong.

Wow. Just wow.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Wow. Just wow.
I think that reasoning drives most of the contrarians on these boards.

Old
06-22-2009, 12:28 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Do you even know who Sergei Gonchar is?
So you are calling Gonchar a great dman? Last year id say he was, this year since coming of surgery he was pretty bad most nights. Did you even watch him play? And before you say that he was a great dman last season, im talkin about this year in the context of how teams win their cups.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2009, 12:52 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:

Coburn-Timonen
Parent-Bouwmeester

Yup, I agree, from cup winners in the past there is a common theme. Great dmen, or a great goalie performance or both. The pens dont have any great dmen, but they have a very good goalie and 2/3 best players in the world that are young and healthy.

That top 4 D-pairings is going to play mind games with opponents before the puck is even dropped. How exactly do you keep crosby and malkin off the ice when you have these two guys. And lets be serious in game 7 of SCF you could have either Timonen or JBo out there the entire game. Then you look at the young studs in Coburn and Parent, take into account how much better they would be with these kind of mentors...If we lose gagne or Briere and sign JBo, we still have an awesome offense, awesome defense, and good goalie....

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote