HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NCAA East Regional Playoffs Prospect Question

Closed Thread

Old
03-25-2004, 07:45 PM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
NCAA East Regional Playoffs Prospect Question

I know who to watch on Maine, Harvard, and Wisconsin, but who should I keep my eyes on from Ohio St.?

I'm attending all three games with a friend who is an independent agent, so I just want to be able to watch kids we might be interested in.

Old
03-25-2004, 08:02 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker
I know who to watch on Maine, Harvard, and Wisconsin, but who should I keep my eyes on from Ohio St.?
Nate Guenin is Ranger property.... Paul Caponigri is playing really well right now.... Doug Andress was the Dfensive Defenseman of the year in the CCHA. Dave Steckel is owned by LA but really hasn't impressed me since being drafted..... Scott May has played fairly well also.

Old
03-25-2004, 08:06 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I saw Nate's name at the NYR site after I poseted this. :ROLL: Thanks for the other names. I'm looking forwad to the OSU/WIS game.

Old
03-25-2004, 09:31 PM
vbox81

Sam and JD mentioned Guenin as an important defensive defenseman prospect (along with that guy from Minnesota whose name escape me), so report back on this!

Old
03-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbox81
Sam and JD mentioned Guenin as an important defensive defenseman prospect (along with that guy from Minnesota whose name escape me), so report back on this!
I like Jake Taylor as a prospect. I think he could be a solid, tough Defenseman.... Nice size and TOUGH. He came in as a Freshman at Minnesota this year at 5-7 on the depth chart. I would say he's 2-3 right now. Personally, I like him better then Guenin...

Old
03-26-2004, 10:10 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbox81
Might not be able to. Guenin has been out injured for about a month or so, with what is being reported as a concussion. Hasn't played in any of the playoff games that I have watched. I was looking forward to seeing him play. He is an assistant captain of the Buckeyes as a sophomore.

Old
03-26-2004, 10:12 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
Nate Guenin is Ranger property.... Paul Caponigri is playing really well right now.... Doug Andress was the Dfensive Defenseman of the year in the CCHA. Dave Steckel is owned by LA but really hasn't impressed me since being drafted..... Scott May has played fairly well also.
Park #2 is Andress a FA. Thanks

Old
03-26-2004, 10:14 AM
E-Train

Quote:
I like Jake Taylor as a prospect. I think he could be a solid, tough Defenseman.... Nice size and TOUGH. He came in as a Freshman at Minnesota this year at 5-7 on the depth chart. I would say he's 2-3 right now. Personally, I like him better then Guenin...

What are some of the flaws in Guenin's game that make him less attractive a prospect? Just curious

Old
03-26-2004, 10:57 AM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train
What are some of the flaws in Guenin's game that make him less attractive a prospect? Just curious
Reminds me of Brendan Witt. Ideally, Guenin would look better if he were a few inches taller, he's about 6'0-6'1 at the most, but tough and makes a decent pass, has good accurate low shot. As LI Ranger fan already pointed out, he's a leader for OSU as a Sophmore. A good stay at home in the pro's maybe, but again, i'd wish he was just a little taller.

Old
03-26-2004, 01:48 PM
Park #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train
Taylor just has more intangibles. He's bigger, in my mind a little nastier, and skates just as well. He has shot up the charts at MN, and his teammates love him. He is just one of those epitome of a tough DMan kids.

Old
03-26-2004, 02:04 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Taylor just has more intangibles. He's bigger, in my mind a little nastier, and skates just as well. He has shot up the charts at MN, and his teammates love him. He is just one of those epitome of a tough DMan kids.
Bluenote, Park #2, thanks for the info.

It doesn't hurt to have 2 decent skating, nasty, right handed defensemen in the organization. Add these 2 to Tyutin, Baranka, Kondratiev, Liffiton, etc. The D is looking much better propsect wise, not even counting any potential draftees in the first 2 rounds in June.

Old
03-26-2004, 03:07 PM
Fletch

It's looking better...

but still looking for that one, almost sure-thing, real impact guys. I think we're not talking about many top 2 guys...guys that would face top lines. still nice to have, but that's what's missing...it's missing in our pool of prospects.

Old
03-26-2004, 03:23 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
but still looking for that one, almost sure-thing, real impact guys. I think we're not talking about many top 2 guys...guys that would face top lines. still nice to have, but that's what's missing...it's missing in our pool of prospects.

Agreed. But with few #1's even in the NHL currently, our pool doesn't look that bad. Is there anyone besides Barker in the upcoming draft considered a #1-2 blue chip D prospect?

I don't see many other teams with these guys either. Pitkanen, Phaneuf, Coburn...not a ton of other young blue chippers

Old
03-26-2004, 03:27 PM
NYR469

nasty nate (guenin) hasn't played since like feb 6th...ohio state hasn't official said anything but i've heard that it is a concussion...no word on when he'll return

Closed Thread