HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Local Ownership Ideas

Old
06-16-2009, 12:38 AM
HockeyHillbilly

vCash: 500
Local Ownership Ideas

Since most of us seem fairly excited about todays outcome let's speculate a bit.

Who locally could afford to buy the team & would you want them to?

Here are two ideas that have been rolling around in my head;

Tim & Eric Crown- I'm pretty sure the have the dough or could at least head up a group. One major plus is that they seem to be sports fans considering they sponsor a local NCAA Bowl.

The Bidwells- They already have some vested interest in the Westgate/Glendale area, have sports ownership experience, but are notoriously thrifty.

I know there's more, but who???

HockeyHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 01:17 AM
AZCOYOT

Define locally though.. Phoenix is made up of people largely who are not native to the area. Jerry Reinsdorf for example is from New York, lives mostly in Chicago but had a home in Paradise Valley in Phoenix. John Breslow is from Nebraska...

These two guys will be the major players imo.. I really hope the Argos guys don't win the auction though, hard to trust Ontarioans these days, and the 3rd phoenix area mystery bidder? who knows who that is.

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 09:33 AM
HockeyHillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogary Flayotes View Post
Define locally though.. Phoenix is made up of people largely who are not native to the area. Jerry Reinsdorf for example is from New York, lives mostly in Chicago but had a home in Paradise Valley in Phoenix. John Breslow is from Nebraska...

These two guys will be the major players imo.. I really hope the Argos guys don't win the auction though, hard to trust Ontarioans these days, and the 3rd phoenix area mystery bidder? who knows who that is.
I know nobody who lives in the valley is from the valley (Of course there are some natives). While I would consider Mr. Reinsdorf's bid local we are already aware of his intentions. I've had one business dealing with him previously. Upon his request to meet at his house we were literally not allowed past the threshold of his garage door, but we still made the deal . (Mr. Guillen on the other hand was super friendly, go figure.)

Breslow while a minority owner, from my understanding, spends most of his time in Nevada. I don't know, I've never met the gentleman. Or if I have I was unaware of who he was at the time.

I was more hoping to try and deduce who the mystery business man was. I know there's others around like Rich Brock who sold his software company in 2002 for $750mil.+. I have no idea though if he even likes sports though. These guys don't get rich by giving it away and with being in bankruptcy court someone is bound to see the value.

Old
06-16-2009, 09:36 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Arte Moreno. He has the money and I know that he has at least kicked the tires on the Coyotes in the past. He would be perfect.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:11 AM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyHillbilly View Post
I Breslow while a minority owner, from my understanding, spends most of his time in Nevada. I don't know, I've never met the gentleman. Or if I have I was unaware of who he was at the time.

I .
Breslow does have a home at Desert Highlands in N. Scottsdale.

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:36 AM
omnimutant

Given enough time and organization, we the fans could buy the team. Big collection Plate and Board of trusties made of ex hockey players to run the show. Basically make the Team a publicly traded entity and have all locals buy stock to get it started. Coop Hockey team at a real grass roots level could prove interesting. That'll shut the guys up who think phoenix can't support hockey

Honestly I don't care who buys it as long as they A) understand the sports business and B) don't plan to write themselves huge checks all the time dipping into the coffers and claiming we have no money after draining it all to their own wallets.

omnimutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:54 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnimutant View Post
Given enough time and organization, we the fans could buy the team. Big collection Plate and Board of trusties made of ex hockey players to run the show. Basically make the Team a publicly traded entity and have all locals buy stock to get it started. Coop Hockey team at a real grass roots level could prove interesting. That'll shut the guys up who think phoenix can't support hockey

Honestly I don't care who buys it as long as they A) understand the sports business and B) don't plan to write themselves huge checks all the time dipping into the coffers and claiming we have no money after draining it all to their own wallets.
ok so if all 5,000 Valley Hockey fans pool $1,000 we would have only $5m - not nearly enough to get the deal done.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 11:47 AM
omnimutant

Quote:
ok so if all 5,000 Valley Hockey fans
Well considering we were selling tickets in the 12,000-15,000 range, and there are people who don't go to every game, and many who just watch it on TV/Internet and radio feeds while working etc. I'd say theres a hell of a lot more Hockey fans then that in Phoenix. But it was just a pipe dream anyway.

omnimutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 12:03 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Arte Moreno. He has the money and I know that he has at least kicked the tires on the Coyotes in the past. He would be perfect.
If he's interested, put me on the Moreno bandwagon. He would be so perfect it isn't even funny.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 06:02 PM
HockeyHillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
This is the kind of thing I was hoping for & you are spot on. He would be a great fit from my understanding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnimutant View Post

I already own part of the Florida Panthers (Indirectly thru Sports Properties Acquisition Corp. their ticker is HMR) I'm sure it'd be a conflict of interest to also own a piece of the Yotes.

Old
06-16-2009, 08:41 PM
pondnorth

Quote:

It would have to be Santa or the Tooth Fairy.

pondnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 09:21 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

I'm going to throw a name out so sit down, Bob Parsons, He is the guy that founded Godaddy.com. and while their TV spots are getting old. He does have a high net worth, could easily raise the money, in cash , with a stock offering of Godaddy.com. The Coyotes could be an interesting oportunity to market the website and it's products.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 09:25 PM
AZCOYOT

Will be partner with jobing.com and they can play in GoDobing.com Arena?

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 09:50 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Will be partner with jobing.com and they can play in GoDobing.com Arena?
Luckily for us they do two completely diiferent things that both happen to involve the internet. But, it could be an interesting partnership.

And, Parsons himself either has a pretty good eye for marketing or the number to a really really good marketing firm.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:18 PM
HockeyHillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
I'm going to throw a name out so sit down, Bob Parsons, He is the guy that founded Godaddy.com. and while their TV spots are getting old. He does have a high net worth, could easily raise the money, in cash , with a stock offering of Godaddy.com. The Coyotes could be an interesting oportunity to market the website and it's products.
I like the suggestion. Plus according to his profile he's been very active here in the valley. PROFILE He's into NASCAR with several drivers, not too mention Danica with her Indy car. Those sponsorships are not cheap.

Old
06-17-2009, 12:42 AM
Jake16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
Come on Turris, you just want the godaddy.com babes to start showing up for games and to take over the marketing department.

Jake16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 08:44 AM
TucsonYotesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1llua View Post
If he's interested, put me on the Moreno bandwagon. He would be so perfect it isn't even funny.
Ditto! If he would handle the Yotes like he has run the Angels, he'd be a perfect fit. He has ties to Arizona and knows how to put together a winning product. It's too bad that he'd already acquired the Angels because he would have been a better replacement for Colangelo with the D-backs.

TucsonYotesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:35 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonYotesFan View Post
Ditto! If he would handle the Yotes like he has run the Angels, he'd be a perfect fit. He has ties to Arizona and knows how to put together a winning product. It's too bad that he'd already acquired the Angels because he would have been a better replacement for Colangelo with the D-backs.
He was a part owner of the Diamondbacks and tried to buy the team before he bought the Angels. He has more that ties to AZ, he's local.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Coyote_Fan

GoDaddy and the Coyotes would be a nice fit. They could cross promote, Doan couid get all naked in GD commercials, and the GD girls could be the new Pack!

Coyote_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote