HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is CJ using Kovalev properly?

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2004, 09:14 AM
Lafontaine

vCash: 500
Is CJ using Kovalev properly?

Just picked this quote up from the Pen's message board...

"I was baffled when I saw him playing left wing. The Canadiens brass CLEARLY didn't do their homework on the guy."

It was one of a few comments about Kovalev's strength on the right side. One of the big question marks with Julien the last 5 games has been his line juggling. Why isn't Kovy on the RW? Surely, if we are trying to get this guy rolling it would be better to put either Ryder or Zed out of position....

Perreault/Bulis - Koivu - Zednik
Ryder - Ribiero - Kovalev

Just wondering why, if we're going to go out and sacrifice youth to bring in a super-star, we don't do whatever is neccesary to get the most production out of him that we can???

Old
03-26-2004, 09:22 AM
hockey_nut

I am surprised too that we're not using the guy on the right... he should be on the right, all the time.

Old
03-26-2004, 09:47 AM
Aarex

And i have seen several games where ryder is on the left side and does quite well (his profile says he is capable of playing LW/RW)

Old
03-26-2004, 09:52 AM
Darz

I'm going to think that Gainey and Julien know a little more about Kovalev's strengths and weaknesses then some poster on the Penguins board.
I'm sure both Gainey and for sure Julien have talked to Kovalev about just about everything.
Don't think that Julien decides his lines like a guy in a fantasy pool. He has 10X the info on his players, including the players input, than everybody on this board combined.
If Julien feels that Kovalev is going to play the left side over the right, you can be sure that he has done his homework.

Old
03-26-2004, 09:55 AM
ghostly rocket

With both koivu and Ribs left handed shots it makes even less sense..easier to make a pass to the rightside than a backhand pass to the left.. Ah well That's wht we rant and Claude gets to decide.

Old
03-26-2004, 10:42 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I'm going to think that Gainey and Julien know a little more about Kovalev's strengths and weaknesses then some poster on the Penguins board.
I'm sure both Gainey and for sure Julien have talked to Kovalev about just about everything.
Don't think that Julien decides his lines like a guy in a fantasy pool. He has 10X the info on his players, including the players input, than everybody on this board combined.
If Julien feels that Kovalev is going to play the left side over the right, you can be sure that he has done his homework.
Well maybe is theory tell him to put him at LW, but now he needs to look at the results and put him where he belongs IMO.

Old
03-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
MVP

vCash: 567
Agreed, he's a RW and should definitely be playing that position. Ryder can play the left side and notice how almost everyone of his goals has come from the left side of the ice?

Ryder-Ribs-Kovalev

Old
03-26-2004, 10:49 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
He probably has talked to Kovalev about it, but it is very possible Kovalev said it was fine simply in order not to rock the boat. He is the new guy,some Montreal fans have already ripped him apart for not lighting it up, what do you think would happen if he said he would rather play right side? All we would hear is he isn't a team player, he is whiner etc....

Old
03-26-2004, 10:50 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeStanley
Well maybe is theory tell him to put him at LW, but now he needs to look at the results and put him where he belongs IMO.
Again, this is the stuff I trust Julien to do. I'm sure if he feels Kovalev better suits the team on the right side, Julien will put him there, and if he keeps him on the left side, I'm sure there will be reasons for this as well.

Old
03-26-2004, 11:46 AM
Corey

Do Ribeiro, Ryder, Koivu, and Zednik know how to use Kovalev properly? Not yet. They don't get into position to take advantage of his passes.

Old
03-26-2004, 11:52 AM
4shelley4

hi

And reason #239 why this message board doesn't coach the Canadiens...

Old
03-26-2004, 11:57 AM
Aarex

Quote:
I agree, no one is in a better position to make line choices then CJ.

However this is just our opinion's based on past performance of what we would like to see. What i'm hoping CJ's goal here is to get everyone comfortable playing with every member of the club and develop some chemistry, because come Playoff time line's are going to be made specifically for the club we are playing. (playing a team like new Jersey is completly different then playing a team like Tampa Bay) If you look at the line up we had against the devils it was a line up we all hated but we got 3 points out of 4...so we can't really complain.

Last edited by Aarex: 03-26-2004 at 12:03 PM.
Old
03-26-2004, 12:18 PM
MissNY

I believe Kovalev started his NHL career as a center. That's the position he played in the '93-'94 season when the Rangers won the cup and he was AWESOME in that playoff series. He had a lot of room on the ice to be creative and make plays.

Old
03-26-2004, 12:24 PM
Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydified
I agree, no one is in a better position to make line choices then CJ.

However this is just our opinion's based on past performance of what we would like to see. What i'm hoping CJ's goal here is to get everyone comfortable playing with every member of the club and develop some chemistry, because come Playoff time line's are going to be made specifically for the club we are playing. (playing a team like new Jersey is completly different then playing a team like Tampa Bay) If you look at the line up we had against the devils it was a line up we all hated but we got 3 points out of 4...so we can't really complain.
Agreed. I think that's exactly what Julien is doing. He has a surplus of players and can rest a few for a couple of games. Better now than in the playoffs. Who cares if the team is 7th or 8th?

Kovalev is starting to fit in. The talent is there and, as a player, you can see he's an offensive threat no matter which line he's on. He is starting to adopt a stronger work ethic. It's too bad he's still nursing an injured shoulder which limits his effectiveness down low. Some have also alluded to a conditioning issue. It's just a matter of time.

Old
03-26-2004, 05:02 PM
EaGLE1

Quote:
Homework?
Remember when Juneau played on the second line this year?? Cause we had difficulty to score goals? Or the 2 games Dagenais was in the lineup against Devils!

Old
03-26-2004, 07:15 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGLE1
Homework?
Remember when Juneau played on the second line this year?? Cause we had difficulty to score goals? Or the 2 games Dagenais was in the lineup against Devils!
And yet Montreal didn't lose any of those three games! :p

Closed Thread