HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

J. Johnson for Kessell

Old
06-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Dr Quincy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANDnFIGHT View Post
Not making the playoffs = 5th Pick Overall >>> Getting swept in the first round
This post perfectly epitomizes HF thinking.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 08:19 PM
SFKingshomer

I'd rather have Bergeron

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Heaters not lazt*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
I'd rather have Bergeron
So would Boston.

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 08:29 PM
elsubz

lol people are funny. One good year and the guy has become a hall of famer.

I'm simply gonna laugh how overpaid this kid is gonna be and the major let down he's gonna have next season. Seriously, some talk like this guy has managed 5 consecutive 40 goals seasons. People surely has a short memory with these breakout seasons in the past years.

elsubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Heaters not lazt*

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post

I'm simply gonna laugh how overpaid this kid is gonna be and the major let down he's gonna have next season. Seriously, some talk like this guy has managed 5 consecutive 40 goals seasons. People surely has a short memory with these breakout seasons in the past years.
I know you're a Habs fan, but come on. Can't we give the kid a break? The past 2 years he's been a bust because he couldn't score 30 goals... This season he tops the mark and it's just a one year thing.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pp/p...order_by=goals

Mark Recchi, Keith Tkachuk, Cam Neely, Denis Savard, Ilya Kovalchuk, Steve Yzerman, Bobby Hull, Joe Sakic, Ryan Smyth just to name a few on that exclusive list.

Old
06-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:

Nobody is saying he's a hall of famer. We are saying that one good year while being younger (Kessel) is better than no good years (JJ).

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:11 PM
STANDnFIGHT
Sea Moan Gone Yay!

Quote:

No, whats funny is.......A guy has a good year and if he gets credit for it all of the sudden he is overated, but if someone has a bad year or didnt live up to their expectations (Fan Hype), they are a BUST or aren't worth the risk (Johnson).

STANDnFIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Just because the taste of playoffs eludes you and your team year after year, doesn't mean you have to make asinine statements.

Quote:
No, whats funny is.......A guy has a good year and if he gets credit for it all of the sudden he is overated, but if someone has a bad year or didnt live up to their expectations (Fan Hype), they are a BUST or aren't worth the risk (Johnson).
Jack Johnson has proved nothing yet. It's mainly why the Bruins would ask for more in return.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:36 PM
peperebougon*

Quote:
...because with all the great picks you had and the great prospects you drafted with the 350 top picks you had in the last years, you should be a better team. Maybe with 350 other top picks you'll know what it is to be a playoff team... I look at your team and pipeline, you should be better than you are. Enjoy the 5th overall and long summer next year. At some point, you have to start putting it together... Add to that all the UFAs you signed...this is just incredible.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:38 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Thoughts are that Boston takes it hard up the rear. Kessel has actually fulfilled his potential with a 35+ goal season last year. Johnson has not.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Shellz

Quote:

Really? I know that 5th pick is tempting but, come on, getting into the playoffs would says a lot about the team and maybe earn a tad of respect, but we havent and we won't for awhile, sadly. If the Kings did get in the playoffs I probably would of cried, haha but then cried when we got swept, but hey, i'd take it, that's just my opinion though.

I can understand if you would of rather wanted the 5th pick though.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:49 PM
KesseltoLupul

5th Overall
Jack Johnson

for

Phil Kessel

KesseltoLupul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:52 PM
chiapet3819

i think id like to stick with Phil in boston

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pp/p...order_by=goals

chiapet3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Heaters not lazt*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffleafsfan91 View Post
5th Overall
Jack Johnson

for

Phil Kessel
DONE!!!!

Old
06-16-2009, 10:55 PM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
5th Overall
Jack Johnson

for

Phil Kessel
That's probably what it would take. More potential in the Kings offer but that's because it's two unproven assets.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2009, 10:56 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
5th Overall
Jack Johnson

for

Phil Kessel
Uhhhhh No.

How about this....

5th Overall
Jack Johnson

for

Phil Kessel
25th overall

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:16 AM
STANDnFIGHT
Sea Moan Gone Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle121 View Post
Really? I know that 5th pick is tempting but, come on, getting into the playoffs would says a lot about the team and maybe earn a tad of respect, but we havent and we won't for awhile, sadly. If the Kings did get in the playoffs I probably would of cried, haha but then cried when we got swept, but hey, i'd take it, that's just my opinion though.

I can understand if you would of rather wanted the 5th pick though.
Trust me, I would love for the Kings to make the playoffs..But, it would just be an emotional roller coaster to make it and follow it up with being swept. I was just stating that getting swept in the 1st round doesn't give you any bragging rights, and atleast the Kings get something to show for sucking.

Old
06-17-2009, 01:20 AM
STANDnFIGHT
Sea Moan Gone Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post

Jack Johnson has proved nothing yet. It's mainly why the Bruins would ask for more in return.

My comments had nothing to do with the value of the trade. I would expect Boston to ask for more than JJ. My comment was for the poster who asked "when did Kessel become a stud?"

Old
06-17-2009, 01:29 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Trust me, I would love for the Kings to make the playoffs..But, it would just be an emotional roller coaster to make it and follow it up with being swept. I was just stating that getting swept in the 1st round doesn't give you any bragging rights, and atleast the Kings get something to show for sucking.

Ah, okay, good It is what it is and I don't mind getting the 5th pick, obviously. Not to sure what Dean is going to do with it but I hope he keeps it. I would not mind seeing Kane in a Kings Jersey.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:08 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Playoff experience is overrated. Let's draft high each year instead. Because that's what you do. Keep sucking...and your youngsters will become losers. Playoff experience and learning how to win is what makes a team great. The kings are my second team after the habs and I am still waiting to see them explode...

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:46 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Jack Johnson has proved nothing yet.
That's just ridiculous and said by way too many people.

Jack Johnson has proved, he can play in the NHL and is more than a 6th/7th defenseman. Everyone who has seen him play, knows he will stick in the NHL for years to come. Everybody seems to forget that because of his image and that he hasn't put up the projected 50-60 points on the scoreboard yet.

Frolov 6'3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 06:33 AM
WithOutPaperss

Quote:

Alright, I'm going to hold you to this next season when Kessel gets another high scoring season....be expecting a PM after next season telling you that you don't know what you're taking about.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 07:00 AM
Rommel

No, Thanks.

Rommel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Qvist

No sane GM would base a decision like this only on present status or achievement to date. It'd be a part of it, but what you're looking at is the kind of player you think you are going to get over the next few years.

There has never been any doubt that Kessel has top end talent, and he has not given any reason to think that he will not be able to capitalise on it and put up big numbers. Given his production this year (with significant time lost to injuries and a prolonged slump after returning), you'd have to say that he is a player with a realistic potential as a 50 goal scorer.

Johnson has not put up a strong season, but he was dominant at the WC and by all accounts finished the NHL season well. whatever team that is interested in him will have scouted him, and will have an assessment of what we are likely to see from him in the next 1-2 seasons - and that will underlay the value they put on him right now. He seems a classic case of "wrong-time-to-trade", but of course if he forces LAs hand, they may have to.

All in all, I'd say a Kessel-Johnson swap gives both teams a good return on losing an asset they would rather have kept but couldn't. Boston's bargaining position is maybe sufficiently stronger to get them something additional, but not anything major in my opinion.

Anyway, it sure would beat trading JJ and the 5th pick for Chris Pronger, from LA's point of view.

cheers

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 07:24 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Kessell?

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote