HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

vs New Jersey

Old
06-16-2009, 08:06 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

vCash: 500
vs New Jersey

Well it's been a great season, and the sting of being swept has been dulled by the fact that nobody else could beat Pittsburgh, either.

So why do I keep thinking about New Jersey?

The Canes did eliminate the Devils in a grueling 7 game series. In fact, the last two goals were scored in the final 80 seconds of game time, making the comeback all the more unusual.

At the time, of course, the players talked about focusing on Boston. No one would have been content with just beating the Devils. There was more work to be done.

So how come, for me, it felt so GOOD?

I've been a Hartford/Carolina fan for a long time. I remember watching two devastating game 7 losses to the Montreal Canadiens...1986 and 1992. Then there were the Boston losses.

Those series broke me up inside. But 2000-2001 just made me angry. A slowly-percolating anger that only grew with time. The New Jersey Devils.

The attitude. The dirty hits. The cockiness. The injuries. The disrespect.

Before 2000-2001 I'd barely cared if the New Jersey Devils existed. Afterwards, after seeing Stevens' play, his callous attitude, Brodeur's sneering, Willis and Francis hurt badly...I hated that team with a passion.

I can only speak for myself...but ever since that year I have enjoyed beating NJ more than any other team. In 2002 the Canes went to the Cup finals, beating nemesis Montreal in the process, and I still felt best about the surprise upset of New Jersey.

In 2006, the Cup was ours, after another pasting of Montreal, but its the Devils series that I still replay on tape over and over, especially game 1 and game 5. Why do I still get a bizarre satisfaction out of watching the Devils dejected faces?

Now, 2009, another great playoff run...and another elimination of New Jersey. The smile on my face the day after Game 7! The way I floated through the next day. Why do I feel this way?

I don't know. All I know is that I dislike Detroit, I dislike Montreal, I dislike the Pens for sweeping the Canes this year.

But I hate New Jersey.

Tell me about how the Capitals are enemy #1. Tell me about rivalries with the Florida Panthers or Tampa Bay Lightning.

Nothing feels sweeter than beating the Devils.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:47 AM
AcidQueen
Joe, Lord of Evil

Send a message via AIM to AcidQueen Send a message via MSN to AcidQueen Send a message via Yahoo to AcidQueen
That's about how I feel about Detroit.

We could go 1-81, but as long as that one win is against Detroit I'll be happy as a clam--and the wider the margin of victory, the better. Anything to make their d-bag fanbase cry.

AcidQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Most hated teams for me, in this order

1) Buffalo
2) NJ
3) Boston
4) Pitt

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:15 PM
CanesCrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucktheCaniac View Post
Now, 2009, another great playoff run...and another elimination of New Jersey. The smile on my face the day after Game 7! The way I floated through the next day. Why do I feel this way?

I don't know. All I know is that I dislike Detroit, I dislike Montreal, I dislike the Pens for sweeping the Canes this year.

But I hate New Jersey.

Tell me about how the Capitals are enemy #1. Tell me about rivalries with the Florida Panthers or Tampa Bay Lightning.

Nothing feels sweeter than beating the Devils.
You're not alone. I can totally relate.

CanesCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2009, 10:18 AM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanesCrazy View Post
You're not alone. I can totally relate.
I hope we make the playoffs next season.

And I hope we play New Jersey in the playoffs.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 03:56 PM
blink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucktheCaniac View Post
I hope we make the playoffs next season.

And I hope we play New Jersey in the playoffs.
I hope that we play you guys again next year too....time to get exact some much needed revenge.

I'm not here to stir up trouble. I'm a Jersey fan but I do have alot of respect for your team. Carolina is a tough, gritty, determined team.

blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2009, 06:00 PM
semin4captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
I hope that we play you guys again next year too....time to get exact some much needed revenge.

I'm not here to stir up trouble. I'm a Jersey fan but I do have alot of respect for your team. Carolina is a tough, gritty, determined team.
No problem. You are welcome here. It's turning into a great rivalry and I hope we meet up again sometime in the near future.

semin4captain is offline   Reply With Quote