HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers/Flames

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-17-2009, 12:23 PM
  #26
bananaz
Registered User
 
bananaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
using point totals isnt a fair reflection on the quality of the player though. we were a defense first team under renney and our team stats have shown that. id prefer to deal our 1st than del zotto as well though.
regardless, the difference between langkow and gomez is not worth 3mil.

bananaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:56 PM
  #27
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
using point totals isnt a fair reflection on the quality of the player though. we were a defense first team under renney and our team stats have shown that. id prefer to deal our 1st than del zotto as well though.
i didn't just use point totals... i brought up faceoff ability, goal scoring, playmaking, the fact they are both very good defensive players

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 06:55 PM
  #28
JorgeRocks!
Registered User
 
JorgeRocks!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,445
vCash: 500
Langkow for Gomez and 19th overall? Sutter take it and run! (May as well try and get a second rounder out of it to!)

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 07:29 PM
  #29
NorthlandPro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 318
vCash: 500
The NYRs will stand pat rather than piss away quality young prospects that they have started to stockpile in an effort to offload some under performing vets. Before any fire sale occurs look for NY to bury the vet in the minors where all that is wasted is money.

Now some will say that doing that would have a negative impact on NYRs ability to sign future UFAs and maybe to some degree that would be true. For far too long NYRs have been the place for those types to get a hefty payday and do squat. In burying one of these underperforming stiffs it would send a clear message, don't sign here if you can't handle performing on the big stage that is NY. Sometimes good can come out of a bad situation.

NorthlandPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 07:55 PM
  #30
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr
 
captain9nyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hammonton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthlandPro View Post
The NYRs will stand pat rather than piss away quality young prospects that they have started to stockpile in an effort to offload some under performing vets. Before any fire sale occurs look for NY to bury the vet in the minors where all that is wasted is money.

Now some will say that doing that would have a negative impact on NYRs ability to sign future UFAs and maybe to some degree that would be true. For far too long NYRs have been the place for those types to get a hefty payday and do squat. In burying one of these underperforming stiffs it would send a clear message, don't sign here if you can't handle performing on the big stage that is NY. Sometimes good can come out of a bad situation.
The more I think about it, anyone who wouldn't sign with the Rangers because of, oh let's say Redden in Hartford, wouldn't be a guy who I'd want to have on the team anyway. I don't want someone without confidence in their abilities to the point they think they'd be sent down too. All those players want is a check. Bring me the player who knows he'll be worth his contract, and I'll show you a player who should be a New York Ranger.

captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:38 PM
  #31
The Gaud Father
Registered User
 
The Gaud Father's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,224
vCash: 50
Yeah, Langkow and Primeau for Gomez and 19th overall. That deal looks good. We can't afford to have both Gomez and Langkow for the next 4 years. Gomez is like a playmaker version of Langkow, which is not worth $3m, but to have another 1st round pick is a good thing since the Flames don't have one next year.

The Gaud Father is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:45 PM
  #32
piere McGuire*
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto,ON
Posts: 693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Jokinen was the best Flames forward in the playoffs, his play had nothing to do with how their season ended... I would look more at the disappearance of Cammalleri... Kiprusoff's steady decline and the injuries to Regehr, Phaneuf & Sarich... I hate injuries as an excuse but where would most teams be if their top 3 defensemen were playing through serious injuries or not able to play at all?

that said i think the basics for a deal are here... but i would prefer to involve Langkow than Jokinen because the Flames can not absorb all of the Gomez cap hit for the next few seasons
he wasn't your best player in the playoffssarcasm Plus didnt Calgary just do this exact same deal pretty much to GET jokinen. I think NYR is highly overpaying as gomez is at the sam skill level as jokinen.

piere McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:52 PM
  #33
The Gaud Father
Registered User
 
The Gaud Father's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,224
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwortzman View Post
he wasn't your best player in the playoffssarcasm Plus didnt Calgary just do this exact same deal pretty much to GET jokinen. I think NYR is highly overpaying as gomez is at the sam skill level as jokinen.
Not highly overpaying when you consider the salary that frees up on the Ranger's side.

The Gaud Father is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:03 PM
  #34
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr
 
captain9nyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hammonton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 936
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwortzman View Post
he wasn't your best player in the playoffssarcasm Plus didnt Calgary just do this exact same deal pretty much to GET jokinen. I think NYR is highly overpaying as gomez is at the sam skill level as jokinen.
Salary Cap space is a valuable commodity in the new NHL. A very valuable commodity.

If Jokinen and Gomez are equivalent, than the Rangers are able to bring in the same player that they're trading away, immediately saving $2M on the cap this year, and opening up $7.357 a year for the following 4 years.

The Rangers definitely do that deal, and from the looks of it, I think the Flames would too.

captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:09 PM
  #35
The Gaud Father
Registered User
 
The Gaud Father's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,224
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead94 View Post
Salary Cap space is a valuable commodity in the new NHL. A very valuable commodity.

If Jokinen and Gomez are equivalent, than the Rangers are able to bring in the same player that they're trading away, immediately saving $2M on the cap this year, and opening up $7.357 a year for the following 4 years.

The Rangers definitely do that deal, and from the looks of it, I think the Flames would too.
...not really. We are already tight to the cap with Iginla, Langkow, Phaneuf and Kiprusoff earning the big bucks. The only way Flames do this deal is if it's for Langkow who is signed for 3 more years at $4.5m.

The Gaud Father is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 01:39 AM
  #36
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 500
This has the foundation to be a good trade for both teams, but it needs some tweaking.

Although Calgary takes on more of a cap hit, they get a guy who could be a solid stop-gap 1st line center for them for a few more years so Backlund can develop properly. I could see Gomez being a perfect center for Iginla. Not to say that Langkow is doing a bad job, but Gomez is younger, and could definitely fit in Calgary's system. Gomez's numbers have been sub-par in NY due to the fact that he has absolutely no one that can score consistently, but put him with a guy like Iginla and he could be that 80-90 center that he should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthlandPro View Post
The NYRs will stand pat rather than piss away quality young prospects that they have started to stockpile in an effort to offload some under performing vets. Before any fire sale occurs look for NY to bury the vet in the minors where all that is wasted is money.

Now some will say that doing that would have a negative impact on NYRs ability to sign future UFAs and maybe to some degree that would be true. For far too long NYRs have been the place for those types to get a hefty payday and do squat. In burying one of these underperforming stiffs it would send a clear message, don't sign here if you can't handle performing on the big stage that is NY. Sometimes good can come out of a bad situation.
That is one of the best points I've heard in recent time about the Rangers and their cap situation.

People keep saying "yeah, what a message to send to future UFA's... sign here and get buried in the minors if you do bad. Players that actually want to come to NY and perform will not have to worry about that.

CM Lundqvist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 01:50 AM
  #37
SomebodySaveKreider
Registered User
 
SomebodySaveKreider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,512
vCash: 500
As a Ranger fan I don't do this. I know these contracts are tough to live with, and trust me, I wish they could just go away tomorrow, but I don't want to get rid of them at the expense of something like a 1st round pick (unless we're trading for someone like Nash or Kovalchuck which most likely will NOT happen).

I love having guys like Grachev, Del Zotto, Sanguinetti and Anisimov in the system, and would like more of them. How great is it to see guys like Callahan, Dubinsky and Staal, Rangers draft picks, come up and succeed in the NHL?

SomebodySaveKreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 09:14 AM
  #38
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwortzman View Post
he wasn't your best player in the playoffssarcasm Plus didnt Calgary just do this exact same deal pretty much to GET jokinen. I think NYR is highly overpaying as gomez is at the sam skill level as jokinen.
Jokinen was easily the best forward for the Flames in the playoffs... hands down... he put up points, he played with grit, heart and emotion... and Calgary moved a 1st, borderline 2nd line center, 4th line plug for Jokinen and a 3rd... however if the Flames were trying to dump a large salary they would have had to pay more... cap space comes with a price... its that simple... and at nearly 7.5 million that price will be pretty damned high

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 09:17 AM
  #39
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
As a Ranger fan I don't do this. I know these contracts are tough to live with, and trust me, I wish they could just go away tomorrow, but I don't want to get rid of them at the expense of something like a 1st round pick (unless we're trading for someone like Nash or Kovalchuck which most likely will NOT happen).

I love having guys like Grachev, Del Zotto, Sanguinetti and Anisimov in the system, and would like more of them. How great is it to see guys like Callahan, Dubinsky and Staal, Rangers draft picks, come up and succeed in the NHL?
honestly I can't say I blame you, I would feel the same if I were a Rangers fan... but from a Flames perspective the 1st is the only thing making this acceptable lol

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.