HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Would Selanne be a good fit for the Oilers?

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2004, 10:23 AM
fuhr

vCash: 500
Would Selanne be a good fit for the Oilers?

I was just thinking about next season,whenever that might be,and thought Selanne would be a nice fit on the Oilers.

He can't exactly ask for a ton of $$ with the season he's had and i think he might enjoy playing on an offensive minded team where he'd be one of the main go to guys. Can you imagine Selanne on this ice for the whole season? As long as MacT doesn't pull a Granato and play him on the checking line i think he'd flourish here.
I assume he'd like playing in a major hockey market again but one of the major hold ups would be the weather. I know he absolutely loves California so Edmonton could be a tough sell but to play with other guys who can fly on this ice might be tempting for him.

What do you guys think?If the CBA would allow them to sign a Selanne and Nedved type players this team would be pretty damn tough.

Of course they'd need to go get a goalie and nevermind our 2 backup system they are currently using. No disrespect to Jussi or Ty but lets not kid ourselves about either of them

Old
03-26-2004, 10:42 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

If Selanne can't put up points playing with Sakic, Forsberg, Kariya, Tangay, and Hedjuk, what makes you think he'll regain his form here.

The Ice won't make a difference as I am sure the ice in colorado is better then in California.

Right now, unless he signed for 2 million or under I am VERY uninterested

Old
03-26-2004, 10:54 AM
TK79

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
If Selanne can't put up points playing with Sakic, Forsberg, Kariya, Tangay, and Hedjuk, what makes you think he'll regain his form here.

The Ice won't make a difference as I am sure the ice in colorado is better then in California.

Right now, unless he signed for 2 million or under I am VERY uninterested
Well, Selanne hasn't exactly been playing with those guys. Granato has him on the third-line with Riku Hahl (who by the way has 0+1=1 points in 23 games this season). The second half of the season has been an absolute nightmare for Teemu, as he scored 26 of his 29 points in the first 40-something games.Hope he rebounds for the playoffs.

Old
03-26-2004, 11:18 AM
copperaddict

I think Selanne would turn it around playing here as long as he played a two way game.MacT wouldn't care if he was scoring 2 goals a game if he didn't play defence first he'd only get 8 minutes a night.This team is loaded with playmakers and not much for finishers that shoot first and worry about the perfect pass last.How many points would Oates have if he had a real goalscorer on his line?

Old
03-26-2004, 11:30 AM
barto

Yeah, I would definitely like to give Teemu a good shot with the Oilers. Many of us have longed for that for many years, but I think he's still got another good year or two left in him!

Of course, that means someone else is traded away, but I'd definitely be willing to take that chance...

Bart

Old
03-26-2004, 11:44 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK79
Well, Selanne hasn't exactly been playing with those guys. Granato has him on the third-line with Riku Hahl (who by the way has 0+1=1 points in 23 games this season). The second half of the season has been an absolute nightmare for Teemu, as he scored 26 of his 29 points in the first 40-something games.Hope he rebounds for the playoffs.

He didn't start out there. He started out with Kariya and Sakic if I remember correctly.

I as still very wary. I would be happier keeping Nedved

Old
03-26-2004, 11:55 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
He didn't start out there. He started out with Kariya and Sakic if I remember correctly.

I as still very wary. I would be happier keeping Nedved
Hey, let's keep BOTH! Nedved's a center anyway, so we could add Selanne as a winger somewhere...

Old
03-26-2004, 12:06 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

If we sign Teemu, we should put him on a line with Adam Oates and Jiri Dopita.

Old
03-26-2004, 12:19 PM
oilers24

keep Nedved before before we sign Selanne. Nedved dominates the game way more

Old
03-26-2004, 12:25 PM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
If we sign Teemu, we should put him on a line with Adam Oates and Jiri Dopita.
I like the looks of that line.
Especially if Teemu can play centre.

Old
03-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Hemmer

I don't know...Oates might retire.

We'll have to make sure we resign Scott Ferguson, so we can play him at LW with Dopita and Selanne.

Old
03-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Master Lok

Bleah on that idea. Selanne is old and has lost it. Even if he wanted to sign for under $2 million, I wouldn't be interested. The Oilers already have too many forwards. 29 points on Colorado? That's just plain sad. And he plays RW. Who would you put him in front of? I like Dvorak, Hemsky, as the top two RW's with Isbister, Pisani and Laraques rounding it out. Too old, no room, not enough points blech.

Old
03-27-2004, 04:49 PM
TheChase

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Yeah, I would definitely like to give Teemu a good shot with the Oilers. Many of us have longed for that for many years, but I think he's still got another good year or two left in him!

Of course, that means someone else is traded away, but I'd definitely be willing to take that chance...

Bart
I, too would like to see the oilers get Selanne; but unless he's signs for under 3 million - IMO there's little chance of that happening.

Old
03-27-2004, 04:58 PM
diablo

Signing Selanne would be a huge wast of money.

Old
03-27-2004, 05:22 PM
Loweball

Selanne is done. Put a fork in him.

So is Kariya.

Old
03-27-2004, 05:42 PM
Dangerdanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler
Selanne is done. Put a fork in him.

So is Kariya.
I have to disagree about kariya, I think he's got a few great years left in him, despite this year being not so great.

Old
03-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Atlantic

I agree Kariya still has the skills in him to have many more good years. This year plagued with injuries has held back his point production. I beleive Kariya is more at his best when he is the first line guy. When a team has two lines of ALL-Star calibre players, there is so much ice time to go around. IMO. anyways...

Old
03-27-2004, 09:05 PM
Loweball

Sorry to have started this topic on Kariya as this was a Teemo Selanne thread...but the games I have seen Kariya play this year he has been totally ineffective. He has speed but the shots all come from way out, with nothing on them. He just is too small to penetrate. Maybe it's just the way the game has changed, or maybe he has lost a step. just what i have observed. reminds me of Russ Courtnall.

Old
03-27-2004, 09:12 PM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler
Sorry to have started this topic on Kariya as this was a Teemo Selanne thread...but the games I have seen Kariya play this year he has been totally ineffective. He has speed but the shots all come from way out, with nothing on them. He just is too small to penetrate. Maybe it's just the way the game has changed, or maybe he has lost a step. just what i have observed. reminds me of Russ Courtnall.
Yeah, I don't watch many COL games, but it seems that way to me too. I really don't think that Kariya has been the same player since the concussion problems after Suter crosscheck.

I remember just before that, in a pre-Olympics-hype type of interview, Scotty Bowman answered 'Paul Kariya' when he was asked who he thought the best player in the game was. I remember thinking that I would have given the edge to Jagr at the time. But I don't think that anyone would even have Kariya in their top-25 since then.

Old
03-28-2004, 10:36 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by igor
I remember just before that, in a pre-Olympics-hype type of interview, Scotty Bowman answered 'Paul Kariya' when he was asked who he thought the best player in the game was. I remember thinking that I would have given the edge to Jagr at the time. But I don't think that anyone would even have Kariya in their top-25 since then.
In fairness, he did finish top 15 in NHL scoring last season, with 81 points, so it's not like he's fallen completely off the face of the earth.

I don't think EDM really needs to add a winger like Selanne, but then again, my ideal pickup for the Oilers this summer would be Palffy. Boy would he look nice here, move York to C. Extremely unlikely EDM can sign him (too much $$$ and LA will have a ton of money to keep him assuming they cut Allison loose), but if they could settle with Brylin and Conroy I'd be a very happy guy

Closed Thread