HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mckenzie sees an elite top five

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-17-2009, 12:26 PM
  #51
Cleatus
Registered User
 
Cleatus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London, ON, CAN.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,731
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Cleatus
Toronto will move into the top five with this trade...

To Los Angeles: Tomas Kaberle, a 2009 1st round draft pick (7th overall), a 2009 2nd round draft pick, and a 2010 3rd round draft pick.
To Toronto: Jack Johnson, a 2009 1st round draft pick (5th overall), and a 2009 4th round draft pick.

Then Toronto will draft MPS or Cowen, which will round out the top five.

Cleatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:29 PM
  #52
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,654
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Don's draft chat with Vest

Cliff notes:

- Name some of the group after 5 (without tipping your hand). Cowen skates well and is tough western league kid who can be a shut down type. Kadri is smallish right now, creative offensive kid from London. John Moore is an elite level skater who played with Ulfies kid in Chicago. And then there are two Swedish kids, MSP who is a power skater and OEL who skates well. And then there is a creative offensive blueliner named Kulikov.
- Don't see kid we draft stepping into NHL like Bod and Tik. We are at a point where we don't have to force feed prospects. We can let them develop.
- What do Keith and you look for (attributes)? Speed, hockey sense is very important, leadership, skill.
from these comments, i infer:
Kulikov and Cowen are probably not their pick. Both would at least get consideration to play on the Coyotes blueline next year if they were picked.

Kadri: when a GM calls him smallish, i doubt that he's planning on drafting him. He wouldnt want any negative-sounding comments out there if he did draft him (media will pick up on that...you'd hope)

That leaves Moore, MPS, and OEL out of the prospects he mentioned.
Based on the qualities he mentioned, i'd be betting on Moore or MPS.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:33 PM
  #53
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
Toronto will move into the top five with this trade...

To Los Angeles: Tomas Kaberle, a 2009 1st round draft pick (7th overall), a 2009 2nd round draft pick, and a 2010 3rd round draft pick.
To Toronto: Jack Johnson, a 2009 1st round draft pick (5th overall), and a 2009 4th round draft pick.

Then Toronto will draft MPS or Cowen, which will round out the top five.
There are plenty of Toronto move up fantasy threads here, no need to turn this into another.

Also, by all reports, the Leafs will almost certainly have a shot at Cowen or MPS and it won't cost them Kaberle.

__________________
Man, do I ever miss Oleg Kvasha. If Oleg was here, everything would be OK.
Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:38 PM
  #54
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleatus View Post
Toronto will move into the top five with this trade...

To Los Angeles: Tomas Kaberle, a 2009 1st round draft pick (7th overall), a 2009 2nd round draft pick, and a 2010 3rd round draft pick.
To Toronto: Jack Johnson, a 2009 1st round draft pick (5th overall), and a 2009 4th round draft pick.

Then Toronto will draft MPS or Cowen, which will round out the top five.
Why would Toronto trade up to acquire one of these guys when they will most likely be around at 7th overall?

I've heard numerous times that Lombardi is dedicated to his rebuild and won't give up players for veterans. Kaberle is a 31 year old defenseman ready to give a team an extra piece missing in the puzzle, where as the Kings are still a year or two away from becoming serious contenders. Combine that into the fact that Toronto is overpaying in your trade. IMO this trade is not going to happen and LA and Toronto are not good trading partners. JJ will be re-signed by the Kings; he's an RFA that will most likely be taken to arbitration.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:38 PM
  #55
drofnats
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
I'm hoping Burke doesn't trade up into the top 5... I'd be thrilled with one of Cowen/MPS/Kulikov

drofnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:51 PM
  #56
TheKiller93
Registered User
 
TheKiller93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 587
vCash: 500
I don't even care what happens to me, I'm going to kill Boyd Deveraux

TheKiller93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 12:55 PM
  #57
VictoryRose
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 500
Tavares? Marketable? He's got the personality of a rock. Ever seen him smile when it doesn't involve him scoring a goal? At least Stamkos had a winning personality and doesn't look 40 years old already.

If I had the first overall, I take Duchene. I think he will have the best career out of the top 5. He's the smartest kid of the bunch off the ice too, which goes a long ****ing way in development.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:13 PM
  #58
boredmale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 23,333
vCash: 500
Islanders should pick BPA.

I personally side with going with Hedman because defensemen are much harder to find then forwards, but the problem I guess for the Islanders is while Hedman might be better 10 years from now, people will constantly point out for those 10 years how Tavares is getting 30-40 and maybe even 50 goals a season.

Short Term(first 5-7 years) Tavares definantly the better pick, but long term that has the potential to change. The other problem with Hedman is he could do a Jay Bouwmeester on us

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:14 PM
  #59
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
Tavares? Marketable? He's got the personality of a rock. Ever seen him smile when it doesn't involve him scoring a goal? At least Stamkos had a winning personality and doesn't look 40 years old already.

If I had the first overall, I take Duchene. I think he will have the best career out of the top 5. He's the smartest kid of the bunch off the ice too, which goes a long ****ing way in development.
I agree with your assessment on Duchene, and I can definitely see him becoming the best player of this draft class. However, to say that Tavares is not marketable is a huge understatement. The kid has been hype at every level he plays. Did you watch any of his games in the OHL or the World Juniors? Fans went crazy when he scored goals, arenas are packed to watch him play, and he even had a bodyguard following him around while with the Knights. How can you say Tavares does not have a winning personality? I played against the guy for several years and with him in Prospect tournaments and he was a phenomenal competitor. He will do anything to help his team win and trains relentlessly to improve his weaknesses. In addition, I have seen Tavares smile several times when not scoring as he, like most players, enjoys it when his team is doing well or when he sets a team mate up for a goal. If you think that Tavares gives boring interviews (which is true) and that adds to him being unmarketable then you are gravely mistaken. Crosby is one of the dullest people to ever speak into a mic and he still helps bring fans to the arena and tv every night. The NHL's merchandise sales from Crosby have probably increased ten fold since he came into the league. Tavares is not in the same league as him, but he is still projected to be a special talent in this league. How often do you hear a player's shortcomings will be one that is only in the top 10 for league scoring year after year? Fact is, you don't have to be a colorful personality to sell tickets; just be a great hockey player and your fan base will be monumental.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:38 PM
  #60
Sterling31
Takin' Over
 
Sterling31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryRose View Post
Tavares? Marketable? He's got the personality of a rock. Ever seen him smile when it doesn't involve him scoring a goal? At least Stamkos had a winning personality and doesn't look 40 years old already.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV0tO...eature=related

lies.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:47 PM
  #61
DG
Registered User
 
DG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Yet another reason why the Kings won't be trading the #5 for a salary dump.
If you are referring to Heatley.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:55 PM
  #62
Dan K
HFBoards Partner
 
Dan K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,176
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
If you are referring to Heatley.
Pretty sure he meant either Pronger or Lecavalier.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:07 PM
  #63
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
the bolded part is the key and face facts Defensemen do take longer to develop

and as regards the "fanboy" issue lets get things straight. the fanboy is actually Hedman. 12 scouts polled 12 scouts say Tavares.
Fanboyism is defined in part as "promoting the object of their interest and attention." so the fans are trying to promote Hedman above Tavares when the acknowledged experts are saying he's number two

so its not Tavares followers who are fanboys its those who are trying to promote Hedman ahead of the overwhelming scouts choice
For me fanboys are those who don't understand the complete NHL game. Those who think offense is everything, goals are everything, forwards are better than defensemen, offensive defensemen are better than defensive defensemen, etc. Fanboys follow the puck around and pay no attention to play away from the puck, or defensive zone coverage. Their idea of a good defender is someone who doesn't give away the puck, someone who doesn't stand out for making a bone-headed play with the puck. Those who think Ellis will be a #1 defenseman in the NHL because of his amazing offensive abilities seem fanboyish.

I have no problem with anybody preferring Tavares if they think he's the better player. I was taking issue with those who suggest that acquiring a top notch defenseman is easy compared to landing an elite goal scorer. Getting a franchise defensemen is neither as easy as some of the fans commenting on that article suggested nor is as unimportant as some of them maintain.

There is a lot of evidence that a franchise defenseman makes a much bigger impact than a top notch goalscorer. See Pronger's influence in EDM, in ANA. See how Niedermayer, Lidstrom, Chara have had an effect on their team. See how the loss of Chara has affected OTT.

Then compare that to the Flames missing the playoffs with Iginla scoring 50 goals. Or Kovalchuk ripping it up in Atlanta and them missing the playoffs. Lots of evidence that a top notch goalscorer does not make as big of an impact as a franchise defenseman, or a franchise goaltender.

How marketable Tavares is vs Hedman shouldn't enter the equation at all. The Isles should take the player that will help them the most in a few years. Who plays better next year shouldn't be a consideration either. BPA.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:15 PM
  #64
Otto91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Love all the Islanders fanboy reactions to that article claiming that its easy to pick up a franchise defensemen later or through UFA but you can never get an offensive talent like Tavares the same way.

They are both rare commodities. Personally I think having a franchise defenseman makes more of a difference between the team winning and losing. Defensemen log more minutes than forwards generally and team defense wins championships.

But obviously there are fans that think that goal scoring is a much more valuable commodity, very debatable in my mind.

If Hedman is the real deal I'd take him for sure.
This Islander fan wants Hedman hands down! You can't teach size! Take Hedman!

Snow will find teams looking to unload skilled offensive players...for picks to fit under the cap!

I maybe the only Islander fan who will be dissapointed If the pick is not Hedman!

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:18 PM
  #65
islandermaniac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Short Term(first 5-7 years) Tavares definantly the better pick, but long term that has the potential to change. The other problem with Hedman is he could do a Jay Bouwmeester on us
therein lies the issue that denis potvin raised when he was asked who the isles should go with. he indicated that you will get greater production out of tavares in his pre u.f.a. years than you will out of hedman. in this day and age with such a young age for unrestricted free agency, an issue like this HAS to be, at the very least, discussed before selecting players in the draft.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:18 PM
  #66
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead94 View Post
I think the Islanders need to take Tavares for an absolute litany of reasons, starting with putting a face on the franchise other than that of Charles Wang. I don't know that Hedman can provide that.
End of discussion right there. Isl's need an identity ASAP

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:23 PM
  #67
bert
Registered User
 
bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
its actually still very close who the isles should pick in my opinion. IMO opinion hedman has the potential to be the best but also has the potential to be a bouwmeester type while tavares is much more of a sure thing to be at worst an elite sniper.
If Hedman is as good as Bouwmeester thats a pretty damn good pic.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:40 PM
  #68
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Short Term(first 5-7 years) Tavares definantly the better pick, but long term that has the potential to change. The other problem with Hedman is he could do a Jay Bouwmeester on us
I assume that by "do a Jay Bouwmeester" refers to him not be willing to sign long term extension and excercise his UFA eligibility at the first chance as opposed to the his actual play on the ice? If that's the case - I agree with your post. Like Bert said - Isles could do a heck of a lot worse if Hedman turns into J-Bo v2.0.

I do think it's scary to have to think about not making the play-off's over a future seven year stretch and project that on a franchise. That's the real issue with J-Bo IMO, and while he didn't help the Panther's cause this year, it's not hard to see his point.

I'm just not sure if you should look at it like Potvin was suggesting in Islandermaniac's recent post. Can you even attempt to factor the likelyhood of being unable to resign someone in 2017, as a factor in your selection? I sure would hope not.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 03:55 PM
  #69
The Messenger
Registered User
 
The Messenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiller93 View Post
I don't even care what happens to me, I'm going to kill Boyd Deveraux
Of all times for Boyd to have a career game !!!!!!!

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 04:06 PM
  #70
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Darth Milbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Searching for Kvasha
Country: Bosnia and Herzegovina
Posts: 37,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
I assume that by "do a Jay Bouwmeester" refers to him not be willing to sign long term extension and excercise his UFA eligibility at the first chance as opposed to the his actual play on the ice? If that's the case - I agree with your post. Like Bert said - Isles could do a heck of a lot worse if Hedman turns into J-Bo v2.0.

I do think it's scary to have to think about not making the play-off's over a future seven year stretch and project that on a franchise. That's the real issue with J-Bo IMO, and while he didn't help the Panther's cause this year, it's not hard to see his point.

I'm just not sure if you should look at it like Potvin was suggesting in Islandermaniac's recent post. Can you even attempt to factor the likelyhood of being unable to resign someone in 2017, as a factor in your selection? I sure would hope not.
I think the point is that most good dmen develop with JayBo's trajectory. He was good early on, and has always been a useful player. But, it took a lot of seasoning for him to really develop into a true #1. There are exceptions but defense is a hard position to learn, and many young dmen struggle for a few years before they figure it all out. And, just when they hit their stride, the UFA years creep up.

We do have elite young forwards who step in an play at a high level right away, but that is much rare for a dman.

For me, I'd rather draft offense and acquire defense through UFA signings. When it comes to defense, there is not substitute for experience.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 04:14 PM
  #71
Isles_Guy*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: long Island
Posts: 6,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Isles_Guy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
For me fanboys are those who don't understand the complete NHL game. Those who think offense is everything, goals are everything, forwards are better than defensemen, offensive defensemen are better than defensive defensemen, etc. Fanboys follow the puck around and pay no attention to play away from the puck, or defensive zone coverage. Their idea of a good defender is someone who doesn't give away the puck, someone who doesn't stand out for making a bone-headed play with the puck. Those who think Ellis will be a #1 defenseman in the NHL because of his amazing offensive abilities seem fanboyish.

I have no problem with anybody preferring Tavares if they think he's the better player. I was taking issue with those who suggest that acquiring a top notch defenseman is easy compared to landing an elite goal scorer. Getting a franchise defensemen is neither as easy as some of the fans commenting on that article suggested nor is as unimportant as some of them maintain.

There is a lot of evidence that a franchise defenseman makes a much bigger impact than a top notch goalscorer. See Pronger's influence in EDM, in ANA. See how Niedermayer, Lidstrom, Chara have had an effect on their team. See how the loss of Chara has affected OTT.

Then compare that to the Flames missing the playoffs with Iginla scoring 50 goals. Or Kovalchuk ripping it up in Atlanta and them missing the playoffs. Lots of evidence that a top notch goalscorer does not make as big of an impact as a franchise defenseman, or a franchise goaltender.

How marketable Tavares is vs Hedman shouldn't enter the equation at all. The Isles should take the player that will help them the most in a few years. Who plays better next year shouldn't be a consideration either. BPA.
I basicall agree with your points except the part I bolded. Im not saying that getting an elite defender is easy and Im the guy that that promoted the line of thought on the Isles board

what im saying is getting an elite defender is the Rarest of all commodities and the most valuable We agree on that point. where we diverge is that I think determining who will become an elite defender is also the hardest thing to do. I sat down and looked at the draft in the last 20 years and there were more elite defenders drafted outside the top 5 than there were in the top 5 and there were several within the top 5 who were busts or fell far short of elite status

meanwhile the success rate on top 5 elite scorers is a much higher percentage. scouts seem to have a better handle on who will be an elite scorer than they do on who will be an elite defender. my argument is since we need both and have the top pick it is statistically wiser to take the better gamble. this franchise cannot afford to go for broke trying to get the rarest of the rare and whiff.

if I knew Tavares and Hedman would both reach their potential I take Hedman 100 out of 100 times but I know that statistically Tavares is far far more likely to be an elite scorer than Hedman will be an elite defender. its a simple cost versus return analysis


Last edited by Isles_Guy*: 06-17-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Isles_Guy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 04:18 PM
  #72
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
How many teams get to sign an UFA franchise defenseman Darth? I wouldn't bet on that being a realistic possibility. IMO you take em when you can get em and you try and lock them up long term if they turn out.

Forwards are much easier to acquire, look at all the high profile scorers available now because of their high cap hits or requesting a trade. Heatley, Gomez, Briere, Lecavalier, etc. A couple of those are former top couple picks, just like Tavares will be. How many equivalent defensemen are available as easily? None that I can see.

A true franchise defenseman is a much rarer commodity. Lots of teams don't have one.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 04:18 PM
  #73
West Coast Isles Fan
Registered User
 
West Coast Isles Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
For me fanboys are those who don't understand the complete NHL game. Those who think offense is everything, goals are everything, forwards are better than defensemen, offensive defensemen are better than defensive defensemen, etc. Fanboys follow the puck around and pay no attention to play away from the puck, or defensive zone coverage. Their idea of a good defender is someone who doesn't give away the puck, someone who doesn't stand out for making a bone-headed play with the puck. Those who think Ellis will be a #1 defenseman in the NHL because of his amazing offensive abilities seem fanboyish.

I have no problem with anybody preferring Tavares if they think he's the better player. I was taking issue with those who suggest that acquiring a top notch defenseman is easy compared to landing an elite goal scorer. Getting a franchise defensemen is neither as easy as some of the fans commenting on that article suggested nor is as unimportant as some of them maintain.

There is a lot of evidence that a franchise defenseman makes a much bigger impact than a top notch goalscorer. See Pronger's influence in EDM, in ANA. See how Niedermayer, Lidstrom, Chara have had an effect on their team. See how the loss of Chara has affected OTT.

Then compare that to the Flames missing the playoffs with Iginla scoring 50 goals. Or Kovalchuk ripping it up in Atlanta and them missing the playoffs. Lots of evidence that a top notch goalscorer does not make as big of an impact as a franchise defenseman, or a franchise goaltender.

How marketable Tavares is vs Hedman shouldn't enter the equation at all. The Isles should take the player that will help them the most in a few years. Who plays better next year shouldn't be a consideration either. BPA.
I think one of the big differences though is that most of the top forwards in the NHL were picked in the top ten. The same cannot be said for defencemen with the exception of Pronger and Bouwmeester (jury still out for 2008 class). Yes, I know there are exceptions, but in the past ten years of drafting, it seems like forwards are easier to project than defencemen.

For some reason though everyone loves to point out that Tavares isn't Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin, which I think 99% of Islander fans understand, but then in their next breath they say Hedman is a hybrid between Lidstrom and Pronger.

West Coast Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 04:21 PM
  #74
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Isles Fan View Post
For some reason though everyone loves to point out that Tavares isn't Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin, which I think 99% of Islander fans understand, but then in their next breath they say Hedman is a hybrid between Lidstrom and Pronger.
Yeah and if Hedman is a potential Pronger then IMO you take him over a potential Paul Kariya.

A franchise defenseman is a much rarer commodity and the chance to acquire one comes up rarely.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 04:23 PM
  #75
Flames Draft Watcher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles_Guy View Post
I basicall agree with your points except the part I bolded. Im not saying that getting an elite defender is easy and Im the guy that that promoted the line of thought on the Isles board

what im saying is getting an elite defender is the Rarest of all commodities and the most valuable We agree on that point. where we diverge is that I think determining who will become an elite defender is also the hardest thing to do. I sat down and looked at the draft in the last 20 years and there were more elite defenders drafted outside the top 5 than there were in the top 5 and there were several within the top 5 who were busts or fell far short of elite status

meanwhile the success rate on top 5 elite scorers is a much higher percentage. scouts see to have a better handle on who will be an elite scorer than they do on who will be an elite defender. my argument is since we need both and have the top pick it is statistically wiser to take the better gamble. this franchise cannot afford to go for broke trying to get the rarest of the rare and whiff.

if I knew Tavares and Hedman would both reach their potential I take Hedman 100 out of 100 times but I know that statistically Tavares is far far more likely to be an elite scorer than Hedman will be an elite defender. its a simple cost versus return analysis
I see where you're coming from and I don't disagree with that logic. Personally I haven't seen enough of Hedman to form my own opinion on whether he will be a franchise defenseman and how likely that might be.

Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.