HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Top 5 D in this draft after Hedman?

Old
06-17-2009, 12:42 PM
JaysCyYoung

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asquaredx2 View Post
I'm pretty sure you're referring to Erik Karlsson here - he was named the tourney's top defenceman (as well as tourney all-star team, defenceman scoring leader, top Swedish player in the Finals, and top-3 player for Sweden for the tournament ). OEL wasn't actually on the team: the d-men were Karlsson, Hedman, Runblad, Tim Erixon, Sebastian Erixon, Nichlas Torp, Viktor Ekbom and Carl Gustafsson.

Unless you're referring to the U-18 Championship. But I don't think Hedman played for that team.
Hmmm... I think you're right. I could have sworn it was EML but you could very well be right. The tournament accolades would seem to illustrate that. Either way Ottawa has a gem. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

That would appear to validate what I said about not having the chance to see him play that much, haha.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
3.) John Moore - a selection based as much on the success that former USHL player John Carlson has enjoyed in the CHL since making the jump from the same junior league that Moore is now playing in. Arguably the best skater in the draft and has a very impressive hockey IQ. I'm not sure how strong he is physically, but he's got a solid frame to grow into at 6'2, 180 and generally makes good on-ice decisions. I don't think that he will be an all-star, but I like what I've seen from him in brief viewings. Coaches seem to talk about his leadership and intangibles a lot as well. Is committed to Colorado College right now but Kitchener holds his CHL rights. If he forgoes NCAA and makes the leap to CHL hockey he could develop into a gem. Reminds me of Keith Ballard a bit, only a couple of inches taller.
I would say Moore is better likened to Paul Martin than Keith Ballard. Different playing style altogether. Ballard is much more aggressive and physical, takes himself out of the play too often. Whereas Moore is cerebral and more patient/controlled, lets the play come to him, but knows when to pinch. The thing that seperates Moore from these two is his vision and shot. He sees the ice a lot better, much more suited to be a QB. His shot is hard and accurate, he gets it off in a hurry.

Overall he may be most comparable (not identical) to Brian Lee in style, but he's got better offensive tools.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:52 PM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
I would say Moore is better likened to Paul Martin than Keith Ballard. Different playing style altogether. Ballard is much more aggressive and physical, takes himself out of the play too often. Whereas Moore is cerebral and more patient/controlled, lets the play come to him, but knows when to pinch. The thing that seperates Moore from these two is his vision and shot. He sees the ice a lot better, much more suited to be a QB. His shot is hard and accurate, he gets it off in a hurry.

Overall he may be most comparable (not identical) to Brian Lee in style, but he's got better offensive tools.
Martin is actually a name that came up when I thought of a quick comparable as well. I'm not sure that I would say that Ballard is much more physical though. Brian Lee is also a decent starting point, although I think that Moore is a little more polished than Lee was at the same age (and Lee has been disappointing offensively so far in his career).

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Konk

Quote:
Martin is actually a name that came up when I thought of a quick comparable as well. I'm not sure that I would say that Ballard is much more physical though. Brian Lee is also a decent starting point, although I think that Moore is a little more polished than Lee was at the same age (and Lee has been disappointing offensively so far in his career).
I am. That is the biggest difference between the two. Moore is timid physically and really doesn't hit... Ballard is very aggressive in the corners and goes out of his way to put forwards on their *****. Moore's biggest criticism is his lack of physical play. Brian Lee is more physically aggressive than Moore, for chrissake.

I'm not taking anything away from him because I'm not one of these HF posters that thinks you have to hit to be good, he's better than all of the above at the same age, IMO. He's just timid by nature, a la Ryan Whitney. I don't think he'll grow to be more aggressive, as Lee has.

Konk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Makaveli

Cowen
OEL
Kulikov
Moore
Ellis

Makaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Hmmm... I think you're right. I could have sworn it was EML but you could very well be right. The tournament accolades would seem to illustrate that. Either way Ottawa has a gem. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

That would appear to validate what I said about not having the chance to see him play that much, haha.
Heh, it's quite probable they'll both be Ottawa Senators' property come June 27th.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:25 PM
OracularSpectacular

Cowen
Kulikov
Ekman-Larson
Rundblad
Ellis

OracularSpectacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Chea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian-Rocket View Post
I think Cowan highly under rated on this board..The guy was pegged to be the third overall pick but fell due to injury, and remained in the top 10...He could surprise.
He actually was falling before the injury. I don't see why that would matter anyway. Just because he was ranked as high as 3rd at one point doesn't mean he's any better than the other guys from 7-10th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMaster View Post
Who do you think Cowan is most comparable to in the NHL?
Braydon Coburn.

Chea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Where do you guys to get see all these players often enough to actually make a ranking?

Or do you just read scouting reports the make what you call "my rankings" based on that?
I can only speak for myself but I watch plenty of NCAA, most of the Canadian, American, Russian and Swede WJC games, a little USHL online and the memorial cup over the last few years.

Which is why I ranked Cowen first, last year he was extremely impressive

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:07 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Ballard's physicality is like the number one thing he brings to the table.