HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Kaberle to The Wild for Zidlicky and Harding

Old
06-17-2009, 08:15 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis65 View Post
Totally disagree. This is good value for Kaberle imo. Just look at past trade deadlines. Kaberle could not fetch a 1st rounder. Zidlicky may be a downgrade from Kaberle but Harding more than makes up the difference.

Would be a smart move by TO as they would get one of the better young goalies in the NHL. Perfect for a rebuilding team.

Then again that might have been a sarcastic response.... hard to tell on the 'net.
Careful pal. Last trade deadline the Flyers were willing to give up carter and a 1st. Just because he wasnt traded for a 1st doesnt mean he couldnt get a 1st.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 08:21 AM
suprvilce

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
Careful pal. Last trade deadline the Flyers were willing to give up carter and a 1st. Just because he wasnt traded for a 1st doesnt mean he couldnt get a 1st.
lets not forget that first ended up in being 2nd overall pick (1st if not for lottery).

suprvilce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Monstar50

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvilce View Post
lets not forget that first ended up in being 2nd overall pick (1st if not for lottery).
That was in 2007, he was talking about the 2008 rumored deal.

Monstar50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 08:24 AM
grabo84

The Wild would probably be adding a young player as well. They'd likely prefer to add Pouliot, and I'd wager that Burke would want Gillies. I'd say that Pouliot is more likely to be added.

I don't get the hate for Zidlicky, I always sort of liked how he plays. I don't see him 82 games a year, but what I do see looks pretty good.

grabo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 08:26 AM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
The Wild would probably be adding a young player as well. They'd likely prefer to add Pouliot, and I'd wager that Burke would want Gillies. I'd say that Pouliot is more likely to be added.

I don't get the hate for Zidlicky, I always sort of liked how he plays. I don't see him 82 games a year, but what I do see looks pretty good.
No hate. Just the value isn't there for me.

IBLeaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 08:29 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraser View Post
No hate. Just the value isn't there for me.
I think with a player like Pouliot or Gillies added the value's there. This is all assuming we don't sign Gustavsson. There's no way I want to go into next year with Toskala and a random UFA in net.

Old
06-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

On the one hand, the value is solid and anything that can put an end to Kaberle to Washington proposals would be tremendous.

Yet I really don't understand Burke's motivations right now. If he's dealing Kaberle for futures, then that is one thing. If he's dealing Kaberle for a veteran puckmoving defenseman, looking to be competitive in the near future... well he would be better off keeping Kaberle.

Only a few players bring more to the table than Kaberle in that area. Why trade Kaberle for a puckmoving defenseman? Kaberle makes less than $1M more than Zidlicky, and is signed for three years, not one. Kaberle is not overpaid and not a cap problem. That's a great contract. It almost looks like change for its own sake.

I suppose the thrust is simply that they are very high on Harding. Yet a trade of Kaberle with Zidlicky one of the principal players heading the other way confuses me somewhat, providing of course that this isn't simply a figment of Strachan's imagination.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 08:32 AM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabo84 View Post
I think with a player like Pouliot or Gillies added the value's there. This is all assuming we don't sign Gustavsson. There's no way I want to go into next year with Toskala and a random UFA in net.
Pouliot has been a huge bust. How does he add value? If we are trading Kaberle, I want more of a sure thing. Even Gillies isn't top 6 material.

Old
06-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Qvist

Quote:
I disagree. 1+1+1 doesn't add up to 3 in NHL trade logic. There is still no top grade asset in this package.

Quote:
Zidlicky is a good player. But he is an adequate second-pairing defenseman, and is simply an asset on a lesser level than Kaberle, who is perhaps ideally a top notch No 2 defender and top unit PP QB.

cheers

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 08:51 AM
grabo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraser View Post
Pouliot has been a huge bust. How does he add value? If we are trading Kaberle, I want more of a sure thing. Even Gillies isn't top 6 material.
Pouliot's just a kid, and he has good raw skills. I wouldn't want him as the centrepiece of a trade, but I think he adds some value. Harding's obviously the reason Toronto would make a deal like this, and if Burke thinks he can be a starter this isn't a bad deal to make. Everything else is sort of secondary, so really it comes down to how Harding turns out.

Old
06-17-2009, 09:10 AM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt the Dog View Post
To MIN: Kaberle, Tlusty, 2nd RD pick

To TOR: Zidlicky, Harding, Boogaard, 1st RD pick
Alright Toronto, I'll need you to bend over now...

Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:16 AM
nickschultzfan

The base of this deal is decent. Harding is a hell of a lot better than some posters give him credit for. He's completely capable of stealing games by himself. He couldn't take the job away from Backstrom because Backstrom has been the picture of consistency this year. Backstrom brought the same game every night, and Lemaire valued that more than anything.

But to make this trade worth it, some pieces need to be added.

To Toronto
Zidlicky
Harding
Boogy

To Wild
Kaberle
Pogge
3rd

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:17 AM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bad Guys View Post
That's funny, I was thinking the Wild were getting bent over in that deal. Trading away their 12th overall? You got to be kidding me.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:21 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Hahaha yeah, right. Other way around.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Qvist

Sure, getting Boogard for Pogge and a 3rd really improves this trade.

That package wouldn't even work if you put Harding at a value greater than Kaberle's. A 3rd is overpayment for Boogard, and I'm not sure I'd trade Pogge for Zidlicky.

cheers

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Jimmy McNulty

Harding + Zidlicky for Kaberle? DO IT FLETCHER!

I agree that there is value missing on the Wild's side, though. Unfortunately the 1st is kind of a dealbreaker, and the Wild are simply overflowing with quality prospects!

Jimmy McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Roo

No thanks from TO.

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Graves View Post
Zidlicky blows, Harding is an unproven goalie who has nowhere to go in Minnesota.

Can't Harding be traded to any number of teams that desperately need goaltending help? (TOR, EDM, COL, PHO, etc)

I agree that goalies typically don't have great value, especially guys who aren't proven #1's. I think the trade is relatively close because I think that Kaberle's slightly overated on the boards. I'm not sure the overall value is great going to TOR, but from a strategy standpoint I like it.

Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:26 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Vagabond View Post
Take out Zid and add Burns and either a second or Prosepct

that frees up money for the leafs to get Jaboy.

I am sure the leaf fans would think getting their fuure number 1 goalie and a stud on d-man would not be anough. But I think Burns/Harding and a pick wopuld be fair enough

IMO, Burns >>> Kaberle. Burns is a better d-man, who is locked up for 4-5 more years on a better contract than Kaberle. IMO, Burns has by far and away best contract in the NHL at this point in time. There's no way that Burns is moved for Kaberle.

Beukeboom Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:29 AM
IBLeaf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
The base of this deal is decent. Harding is a hell of a lot better than some posters give him credit for. He's completely capable of stealing games by himself. He couldn't take the job away from Backstrom because Backstrom has been the picture of consistency this year. Backstrom brought the same game every night, and Lemaire valued that more than anything.

But to make this trade worth it, some pieces need to be added.

To Toronto
Zidlicky
Harding
Boogy

To Wild
Kaberle
Pogge
3rd
Keep dreaming bud.

Old
06-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Leafidelity
Way she goes...

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Hahaha yeah, right. Other way around.
In what fantasy world does Tlusty(a 21 year old top AHL scorer) and a 2nd round pick equal that absolute duster Boogaard and a 12th overall?

Are you smoking drugs? Tlusty was a 13th overall pick himself, and he hasn't exactly busted.

You must be high, but its so early in the morning still...

Last edited by Leafidelity: 06-17-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Leafidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
In what fantasy world does Tlusty(a 22 year old top AHL scorer) and a 2nd round pick equal that absolute duster Boogaard and a 12th overall?

Are you smoking drugs? Tlusty was a 13th overall pick himself, and he hasn't exactly busted.

Perhaps because the 2009 draft looks to be > 2006 draft?

Don't you think the Leafs could move up in the draft for their pick and the 12th overall pick as well?

Take out the Leafs 2nd round pick (not necessary as Kaberle is more valuable than the original trade package).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:35 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
In what fantasy world does Tlusty(a 22 year old top AHL scorer) and a 2nd round pick equal that absolute duster Boogaard and a 12th overall?

Not to nitpick here but Tlusty is 21 (he turned 21 just some months ago)

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:38 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Its way to early to be drinking. In what fantasy world does Tlusty(a 22 year old top AHL scorer) and a 2nd round pick equal that absolute duster Boogaard and a 12th overall?

Tlusty has little trade value at this point. He's a PPG player in the AHL at 22 and so far can't stick on a team that was basically filled with AHL players last year because he can't play in a bottom-six role. Exactly which GM is supposed to be bowled over by that resume? Enough to trade one of the best enforcers in the game (and a huge fan favorite), one of the best young goalies with actual NHL experience, and the #12 pick? I don't think so.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 09:41 AM
mydnyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis65 View Post
Did Burke not say he wanted a 1st rounder for Kaberle at the trade deadline but no one stepped up? I realize it was probably a 1st + player/prospect but for 2 seasons now I have seen TO ask for 1st rounders for Kabs. Yet he still sits in TO.

Maybe it is just me but it seems Kaberle has far more value on these boards than he does to the GM's of the league. His offense is not elite level and his defense is lacking.

Now if Kaberle refused to waive his NTC then he has zero value. Either way the Minnesota offer is a fair trade. Especially after a sub par year from Kaberle. I put Kaberle's value at just slightly better than Ohlunds. The difference being Ohlund can be had for a contract only. No need to lose assets.
No, He did not ...EVER. He did say that he would not approach anyone with a NTC because they earned that right.
...but on draft day, the Leafs have both players (Kaberle/Kubina) lose their NTC's...

mydnyte is online now   Reply With Quote