HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Gaborik

Old
06-17-2009, 05:43 PM
kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs0492 View Post
Yeah, i know, it's 2/3rds of the reamaining salary (9mil in the case i stated, so 6 mil) payed off over twice the number of years (3 x 2 = 6) so 1 mil cap hit per year over the next 6 years, I believe. Obviously, he has no value to the team if he is injured, but he can be buried in the minors or bought out in the later stages of his contract which is something that only a bigger market team would be able to do given the offer that I proposed.
On a front loaded contract where there is cap savings involved, the formula is more complicated for that. It was put in to avoid cap circumvention. Burrying the guy in the minors is the best option and one that a big money team would more easily do.

kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 05:47 PM
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa View Post
On a front loaded contract where there is cap savings involved, the formula is more complicated for that. It was put in to avoid cap circumvention. Burrying the guy in the minors is the best option and one that a big money team would more easily do.
Didn't know that, either way there is still an obvious advantage.

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 06:00 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Gaborik on JT's wing could easily outscore Ovechkin imo (healthy). I wonder if that is enough incentive to give the Sharks' a priority in negotiations.

If I was Gaborik, I'd want a 1 year relatively cheap deal on a good team with a good center to prove I was worth a big contrat. Then go for the huge money next off season. That is assuming he is confident in his own health.

Gaborik to the Sharks for 5.5mil for 1 year.
He would score a ton, if he stays healthy.

He would score a ton on Kopitar's wing too, and we would give him a contract for more than a year.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 06:14 PM
kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs0492 View Post
Didn't know that, either way there is still an obvious advantage.
I am sorry that I don't know the formula but this topic has been brought up quite a bit when talking about Briere or another one of those front loaded contract. The idea behind those last couple years at a low salary is that the player will most likely retire at that point and so you got to have an 8M dollar player on your roster for a 6M cap hit without having to have a 1M dollar player on your roster for a 6M cap hit at the end of the contract because he will retire. The formula for buying out such contract includes that cap savings in it.

Old
06-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
You were correct. Due to Gaborik missing a bunch of games last year (I don't recall what is the minimum amount of games played but he missed over 60 so it does apply) teams can in fact sign him to a bonus laden contract provided that it is only one year.

It will be very interesting to see how his injury history has lowered his value. Some team could very well end up with a steal on a 4 year 6M contract if his hip is really better now.

To the above poster about Gaborik, Demitra and Kesler at the Roxy, don't Kesler and Gaborik have a bit of beef based on those flying elbows that they have dished out to each other. Last year when Kesler was the shutdown centre in the defensive role (deserved the Selke nominee last year not this year) him and Gaborik would have quite the battles. But maybe they just leave it on the ice. Also, as Willie has said, Vancouver is the most hated rivalry for most of the Wild team.
Can't really comment on all that. I guess the beef wasn't that bad between these guys if atleast Demitra came here? I beleive Demitra came before and had Naslund show him around.. Unless that was just a rumour. I didn't go up and talk to these guys or anything at The Roxy... I just saw em there; that same night I saw Kesler at Caprice too but he was by himself.

So I mean, I dunno.. This is why I think there is some credibility to the rumours of Gaborik coming to Van. Of course, it has to make sense follar wise.

I would imagine

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 06:30 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
I am sorry that I don't know the formula but this topic has been brought up quite a bit when talking about Briere or another one of those front loaded contract. The idea behind those last couple years at a low salary is that the player will most likely retire at that point and so you got to have an 8M dollar player on your roster for a 6M cap hit without having to have a 1M dollar player on your roster for a 6M cap hit at the end of the contract because he will retire. The formula for buying out such contract includes that cap savings in it.
I recommend going to http://www.capgeek.com/index.php

If Briere were to be bought out say after 4 years, the cap hit would be:

2013-2014 $4.333M

2014-2015 $5.333M

2015-2016 $833,333

2016-2017 $833,333

I think those kind of numbers make his contract very unappealing.

Old
06-17-2009, 06:31 PM
kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Can't really comment on all that. I guess the beef wasn't that bad between these guys if atleast Demitra came here? I beleive Demitra came before and had Naslund show him around.. Unless that was just a rumour. I didn't go up and talk to these guys or anything at The Roxy... I just saw em there; that same night I saw Kesler at Caprice too but he was by himself.

So I mean, I dunno.. This is why I think there is some credibility to the rumours of Gaborik coming to Van. Of course, it has to make sense follar wise.

I would imagine
I also do believe the possibility of him coming to Vancouver becomes very high if the Sedins give Gillis an excuse to move on from them (high contract demands) and I too think a line of Kesler, Demitra and Gaborik would occur, I was just curious about them being buddy buddy with all there hard fought battles. As for Demitra, both Naslund and Demitra were Gillis clients so there was much more of a connection to them and Vancouver than Gaborik really has with Vancouver. My prediction is if LA wants to pony up, they'll get him but if they are as conservative as the rest will be with Gaborik, Gillis might just knock that one out of the park. As high of a risk that it is, you could potentially wind up with a superstar locked up for a couple million less than he is worth.

Old
06-17-2009, 06:45 PM
kevinBOOMBOOMbieksa

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I recommend going to http://www.capgeek.com/index.php

If Briere were to be bought out say after 4 years, the cap hit would be:

2013-2014 $4.333M

2014-2015 $5.333M

2015-2016 $833,333

2016-2017 $833,333

I think those kind of numbers make his contract very unappealing.
Thanks, I knew something interesting happened with the numbers but I wasn't sure where to find it. Buying out players seem like options only for teams that don't operate near the cap.

Old
06-17-2009, 08:11 PM
Sheky Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
4 years, 7 mil .. Thrashers
this.....roughly

now, who do we get on D for Hainsey's partner?

Sheky Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 08:58 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I bet the team(s) that offer the most for his services are the ones he play against him the most, and the teams that overspend the most.

NYR will definitely make an offer, how much they can afford to give him is debatable.

LA is supposedly interested, but why would he sign there other than LA being a nicer city than most? He has no chance at winning a cup in the next 3-4 years (ie. in his prime). I also doubt they offer him the most money, as LA is not a Gaborik away from being a contender.

Edmonton could be interested if they strike out on Heatley and Lecavalier. I don't think they break the bank on him, but I could see them offer him 6.5 million/year.

I think the most likely place he'll play is in Vancouver, as has been rumored ever since they brought in Demitra. I think they let the Sedins walk and sign Gaborik and Hossa.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:12 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

LA will sign him. They were watching his every move late last season.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:28 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
LA will sign him. They were watching his every move late last season.
que?

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 01:40 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
que?
I think he is talking about the rumor where Dean inquired about Gaborik and they asked for Frolov straight up. Lombardi said he wasn't giving up Frolov for a couple of months of Gaborik.

Had the price been lower, I think Lombardi would have taken Gaborik for a test drive.

This was reported in Hammond's blog, I think.

Old
06-18-2009, 01:49 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

I think Gabby is exactly what Toronto needs. A #1 elite scorer, who is young enough for the rebuild. That said, snowballs chance in hell he signs here.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2009, 03:16 AM
Gardak

Send a message via MSN to Gardak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
7 years 50 mill he'll sign somewhere else and be awesome. Or same deal, but with a NMC and it will take the habs 7 years for him to play 82 games.
The habs WILL overpay to try and get him to come here. Whether he does it or not remains to be seen...

Gardak is offline   Reply With Quote