HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Isolation Video Systems

Old
06-17-2009, 09:10 AM
danishh

vCash: 50
Isolation Video Systems

So I was talking to Jeff Hunt (owner of the 67's) yesterday about plans at Landsdowne Park (where the civic center, where the 67's play, as well as Ottawa's football stadium) and how they would impact the 67's specifically. For non-ottawans, the city is currently weighing two bids for sports development in Ottawa - one from Hunt's group that would revamp landsdowne park with a new stadium, some real-estate development, and a CFL team, and the other from Melnyk's group, which would include a soccer stadium in kanata by ScotiaBank Place and an MLS team. Both groups have been guaranteed franchises by the respective leagues if they win the city bids.

The Landsdowne reveamp would include major renovations to the civic center. Jeff mentioned expanded capacity (but not lower ticket prices), more screens around the arena (same jumbotron), and a revamped concourse level, as well as a new ice surface (more energy efficient) and renovated dressing rooms.

For a bit of background - i basically think like roger nielson: the more video, the better. I asked Jeff if they would be upgrading their video systems, and if they currently have any isolation video system planned. He basically told me that they have video coaches shoot it once in a while for coaching purposes, but it would be too expensive to hire staff to run multiple isolation cameras every game. I suggested selling the video to NHL teams and scouting services, and he said it still probably wouldnt cover the costs of the cameramen, so in the end the coaching benefits of having isolation video of all the players simply wouldnt be worth it.

My question for you guys - do you know of any junior teams in canada that regularily run isolation video? Do you think this is something that will become bigger in the future, especially with richer teams like London or Windsor? I think the idea of just following one player on his entire shift, ignoring the rest of the ice surface, can be very useful in a coaching sense as well as in a scouting sense, but it seems the cost is just too high for junior teams like the 67's nowadays. I dont think motion-tracking technology will ever be good enough to fully automate the system, so it would have to be a labour-intensive system, which in turn means high cost.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 10:42 AM
MitchRobichaud

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to MitchRobichaud
A lot of teams fvrom the NHL and CHL purchase the rinknet program whihc has lots of different features including isolation videos of NHL and CHL draft prospects. The video library of the prgram is getting bigger every season. As well as isolation videos, scouts from the teams can keep a database of scouting reports on players they have seen. Schedules from every in league the world are uploaded into the program, making it worth the investment for pretty much any team.

MitchRobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2009, 01:52 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
from what i understood, rinknet is a scouting service, and they dont have permanent installations. Correct me if i'm wrong though.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote