HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need some help...

Old
06-24-2009, 10:39 PM
XxLidstromxX

vCash: 500
Need some help...

So I started ice hockey on Monday, just drop ins, honestly it was the most fun I had ever experienced in my life sure I was slipping and falling but 5 hours went by so quickly it felt like 10 minutes.
I noticed a couple problems on ice though:
1. I can't stop, when I try I end up turning or falling.
2. Can't turn quickly without falling lol.
3. I don't know how to use the edges on the skates.

I also had some more questions.
I bought a new nike stick, and it's way to short, I have to bend so low to play and I can't do that considering I'm 6'2. It reaches my collar bone when on my skates, so how long should it be for a defensemen, I can get decent slap shots off of it but I have to bend really low which makes me look like an idiot and hurts my back. So how much higher should I get it, I previously had a stick extended up to my nose and it killed my shot lol, it looked really weird and my shot would look retarded...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

XxLidstromxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLidstromxX View Post
So I started ice hockey on Monday, just drop ins, honestly it was the most fun I had ever experienced in my life sure I was slipping and falling but 5 hours went by so quickly it felt like 10 minutes.

I bought a new nike stick, and it's way to short, I have to bend so low to play and I can't do that considering I'm 6'2. It reaches my collar bone when on my skates, so how long should it be for a defensemen, I can get decent slap shots off of it but I have to bend really low which makes me look like an idiot and hurts my back. So how much higher should I get it, I previously had a stick extended up to my nose and it killed my shot lol, it looked really weird and my shot would look retarded...

Thanks in advance.
Personal preference. Lots like it around their chin on skates and some D like it a little longer for poke checking.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 11:11 PM
dirtydevs9

Send a message via AIM to dirtydevs9
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
The lower you are, the better the slapshot. But yeah, it's all about personal preference. The general area for all skaters is about upper lip-nose area but defenseman tend to get theirs on the longer side. Try adding in a wooden plug, although they might mess with your flex. And for the skating, the only thing I can suggest is powerskating classes. Learning these things on your own will only develop bad habits which are hard to fix in the future.
Hockey is great, have fun and good luck!!

dirtydevs9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2009, 11:18 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Longer stick is better for shooting, a little harder for stick handling at first. Practice, practice and patience. Ice hockey takes years YEARS to get good at, there are no short cuts.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 12:37 PM
noobman

You just started skating, right?

All you need is some time and patience. Do some research, learn the techniques, and practice, practice, practice. Playing is important, but you'll develop much faster if you go to open ice sessions and do drills.

Take a powerskating course if you can.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:28 PM
bluumax

dont forget, bend ur knee's like ur on the toilet, and keep ur feet quite wide, gives you a low centre of gravity and improves ur balance

bluumax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Frankie Spankie

You probably should have gone to public skates in your neighborhood during the winter. Well I suggest getting to the rink early and being the first one out there to practice skating as much as possible. It really is all about practice. I couldn't stop for the first month or so playing either and I sadly found it a personal accomplishment of mine when I played a whole game without falling in my 4th-5th game.

As for the stick, was it up to your nose on or off skates? Up to your nose off skates should be just about right for defense. I have my stick up to my nose off skates and I'm a forward without any problems. You could try to lengthen it up to your nose off skates and then just shave off a half an inch to an inch every game until you find a height you like.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2009, 07:37 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
The problem is not with your stick, but with your skating....sorry!

80% of hockey is skating...80% of skating is Balance! So let see if we can help you with this. It going to take some work on your part and you will probably fall on your a** with these drills, but after you have mastered these drills, you can get bumped / checked and still hold your balance.

First Drill: Start at one end at the goalie line. Place your feet in a "V", heels together, toes out. Now been your knees which will cause the skates to go in the direction of the "V". Now, just when your skates are maxed out before they start turning straight, I want you to jump off the ice about three inches high. When you jump, I want you to land back on the ice with your skates back in a "V". Now, I want you to do this down the full lenght of the ice to the other end. When you jump and bring the skates back into a "V" this is one cycle. I want you to do any many cycles down the ice as you can. The faster you bring the skates back to square one ("V") the faster you will go. Once you are fly down the ice, just using the inside edges, you have completed the first phase.

Second Drill: Now you do the same thing as drill # 1...but Backwards. This time you are going to put your toes together and your heels apart. Bend your knees and you will start to move backwards. Right when your feet are about a 1 1/2 feet apart, jump and bring you toes back together when you land. Yes, you are right...down the ice and back again.

Third Drill: Here's where it starts get fun. You are going to start at one end of the ice, at the goal line. Now, you are going to do two forward (Drill #1) on the third, you are going to jump in the air and turn 180 and land facing backwards. Then you do two backwards (Drill #2) and then...you got it, jump in the air 180 and land forward. This is one cycle! Your going to do as many cycles from one end of the ice down the other end. Now when you turn, if you turn clockwise from front to back, you turn clockwise from back to front. Always turn in the same direction. Now when you get down to one end, the you come back doing it counter-clockwise...get it!

Fourth Drill: Ok, now this drill is very similar to Drill #3. This time you single up the turn. So when you start off, you jump right away 180 backwards land, do one cycle backwards and jump 180 forwards. Always turning in the same direction. yes, you guessed it, all the way down the ice and then come back turning in the other direction.

Fifth Drill: Then you do five forward "V" cycles and on the sixth cycle, you do a 360 in the air and land back in the "V". Do 5 more forward "V" cycles and on the sixth cycle you do another 360 in the air and land in a "V".

Once you can do this, get ahold of me and we will show you the next step.

Here's a video to give you kind of an idea.
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0gHv4MXY7E

If you follow this link below. I wrote some dryland tips for you to do off ice.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=514248

Hope this helps
Head coach

06-27-2009, 11:25 PM
XxLidstromxX

Yea man, I just did that stuff yesterday, it was pretty simple...And dude it was the stick, never before has my wrist shot looked so retarded, I can't even get a decent control of the puck so I got my stick extended today and it's like heaven, I can shoot with ease again...

Old
06-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Saved*

Quote:
Yea man, I just did that stuff yesterday, it was pretty simple...And dude it was the stick, never before has my wrist shot looked so retarded, I can't even get a decent control of the puck so I got my stick extended today and it's like heaven, I can shoot with ease again...
Yeah, but if you skated properly, you wouldn't need that extension.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:24 AM
XxLidstromxX

the stick reaches my collar bone... I play defense, and I'm not a bend low player, its why I use a lie 6-7. If I was a forward I wouldn't mind, but I'm 6'2 so it makes a difference...
What do you mean skated properly? I skate like all the other guys on the ice.

Old
06-28-2009, 03:16 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
the stick reaches my collar bone... I play defense, and I'm not a bend low player, its why I use a lie 6-7. If I was a forward I wouldn't mind, but I'm 6'2 so it makes a difference...
If you use something more than a few inches below the clavicle, it can wreak havoc on you. I've played for a while and never have adjusted to sticks below the middle of my neck, and I'm a quite fast skater (always decent knee and back bend too). It could also be that you have longer arms, you shouldn't really worry.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 04:04 AM
qwertysac

Like others already said, it looks like the problem is your skating and not the stick

Reading your first post, you mention you have trouble turning and stopping. So it's safe to assume that you're just starting to learn how to skate and you're making the same mistake most beginners make : not bending your knees enough

just my 2 cents

Last edited by qwertysac: 06-29-2009 at 02:16 AM.
qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 07:46 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
i'm 5' 10" and my stick goes to my nose on skates.i switch between defense and center.
learning to shift your weight with your direction is very important also.learning how to use your edges is also key.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 10:05 AM
Saved*

I know people that use sticks that are to their chest. It is all about skating. If you can skate well and properly, you can just about use any stick. My team captain for example, broke his sticks in a game, and grabbed the only other spare right handed stick. It was a good foot shorter, but he still managed. It's your skating.. not the stick.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:13 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
My rule for sticks is to my nostrils on bare feet (no shoes, has to be no shoes) and it should be to your chin on skates. As for your skates-did you have them sharpened before using them? Sounds like you might not have had any edges and I have seen this happen before with new guys-they don't know you have to get your skates sharpened before you use them. I don't care how great of a skater you are if you have no edges it's going to be tough to do anything.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:26 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
My rule for sticks is to my nostrils on bare feet (no shoes, has to be no shoes) and it should be to your chin on skates. As for your skates-did you have them sharpened before using them? Sounds like you might not have had any edges and I have seen this happen before with new guys-they don't know you have to get your skates sharpened before you use them. I don't care how great of a skater you are if you have no edges it's going to be tough to do anything.
I have mine to my chin on skates and it works wonderfully for me.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 12:33 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Sounds like you might not have had any edges and I have seen this happen before with new guys-they don't know you have to get your skates sharpened before you use them. I don't care how great of a skater you are if you have no edges it's going to be tough to do anything.
Went to a public skate just after gettin mine and the guys there did not have a time at the moment to sharpen em yet did not think it was too big of a deal, was defanitly a fun public skate did not seem too bad...till you try and make a quick turn fast just felt so helpless and I lost my feet from me haha. Obviously noticed a HUGE difference after getting the first sharpening.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Well, I'm here to tell you, you can still have the stick at your chest and it will still work for you. The shorter the stick, the more knee bend you will need.

The Druzhba Team from the Ukraine all have their stick at their chest. It forces the kids to have a deep knee bend, this forcing the players to have a longer stride at full extension. This means that they can only hold this position for only 45 second to a minute. before it hurts and forces them to stand up.

But after 45 seconds, you need to get off anyways. Oh, don't worry if while you are sitting the bench someone on your teams scores a goal and you weren't on the ice for the boodie slapping, this is a team sport....not tennis!

You see, 80% of hockey is skating, not shooting. And 80% of skating is balance. Now, I don't know how old you are, but in order for you to hold up any cup, wheather it be Stanley or any other cup thats two hands...you will need balance.

You can't tell me that jumping in the air and doing a 360 was easy. Ok, if it was that easy for you...do with a puck next time.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 02:14 PM
XxLidstromxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Well, I'm here to tell you, you can still have the stick at your chest and it will still work for you. The shorter the stick, the more knee bend you will need.

The Druzhba Team from the Ukraine all have their stick at their chest. It forces the kids to have a deep knee bend, this forcing the players to have a longer stride at full extension. This means that they can only hold this position for only 45 second to a minute. before it hurts and forces them to stand up.

But after 45 seconds, you need to get off anyways. Oh, don't worry if while you are sitting the bench someone on your teams scores a goal and you weren't on the ice for the boodie slapping, this is a team sport....not tennis!

You see, 80% of hockey is skating, not shooting. And 80% of skating is balance. Now, I don't know how old you are, but in order for you to hold up any cup, wheather it be Stanley or any other cup thats two hands...you will need balance.

You can't tell me that jumping in the air and doing a 360 was easy. Ok, if it was that easy for you...do with a puck next time.

Head coach
I use to do those drills on my rollerblades, and they were really heavy...
As for my stick, the reason I like to have a longer stick is that it gives me more torque on my slap shots, and it's really useful when I'm poking the puck away from players.

Old
06-28-2009, 02:29 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
I use to do those drills on my rollerblades, and they were really heavy...
As for my stick, the reason I like to have a longer stick is that it gives me more torque on my slap shots, and it's really useful when I'm poking the puck away from players.
Pretty sure you are completely missing his point, if you can not take the advice people give you, esp a guy like Headcoach, then do not come here and ask for it. Just cause you did not hear the answer you want does not mean it is not the right answer. Pretty sure iceskates and rollerblades are a bit different too. I mess around with sticks between 60" and 57" and I gotta say, those 3" do not hinder me that much. It may take me a few minutes to get use to a few inch difference, but thats about it, its just adapting to your situation.

Old
06-28-2009, 04:53 PM
XxLidstromxX

Well personally if I'm playing with a stick up to my collar bone I can't do anything with it... I'm to having my stick a bit longer then usual, it's just a personal preference. I'm a upright skater so I need the longer stick.

Old
06-28-2009, 05:34 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Well personally if I'm playing with a stick up to my collar bone I can't do anything with it... I'm to having my stick a bit longer then usual, it's just a personal preference. I'm a upright skater so I need the longer stick.
Then just buy a plug or new stick. You are suppose to be low playing hockey, I doubt ppl that see you going "low" to take a slapshot think nothing of it unless its hideous form. Sure it was also mentioned here...but Ill say it again...bend with your KNEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS and that should solve your back problems and possibly stick length problems. Im a beginner too pretty much so I know these issues, I had them not that long ago.

Old
06-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Nbr-17

Quote:
I really don't see how these problems could be related to the length of your stick. Like somebody mentioned earlier, try and find some adult skating lessons. The greatest shot on earth won't help you if you can't get to the puck..or you get beaten to it every time.

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Being an upright skater will get you by for now though NOT a good habit to have and as you get better and learn more you will see it go away out of necessity to do things better. You just cannot be a good player if you are too upright. Some guys do have an upright style, I am trying to think of some pro guys who are upright and I honestly cannot think of any as it almost never happens and when it does they are usually a nongifted goon type fighter guy.

When I was young and learning to skate I was too upright and a coach put an end to it in a hurry.

Personally I am working on skating all the time because of a serious leg infection when I was 10 or 11 and fought to keep it from being amputated. I won that fight but have a hole in the side of my knee under the skin where useful cartilege used to be. I had problems with my knee locking once in a while or clicking when I walked and still do sometimes.

I am pretty angry about it because it certainly guranteed any hockey career was gone before I was even a teenager and even had to play on a checking line in highschool. That was okay no regrets as it was out of my hands and to this day I still suffer a weaker skating ability (though I do more than ok enough) doing just certain things that the screwed portion of my knee joint was needed for.

So anyway being upright feels natural to you right now because you are trying to play a sport that is not easy and you are fighting to keep from wiping out and falling while trying to do stuff so you are naturally staying upright to keep your balance and stay safe. You need to constantly discipline yourself to push that comfort safety zone. There is an old saying in hockey and that is "If you're not falling down, you ain't playing hard enough".

One boring thing you can do that can help you to skate low is to go to public skating (like I have been lately because of injury) and place your hands together in front of you in a fingerlock type grip and skate low with your hands out in front of you rocking your fingerlocked hands side to side for balance. Make nice big strong LOW strides. It may look silly to some others there but screw 'em, they don't even play hockey most of them.

You can also try to touch the ice with your left hand when doing leg overs to the left or trying to touch the ice with your right hand when doing leg overs to the right. If you are coming close or in fact able to touch it you are low enough in your skating style.

One thing I can say that my skating has improved this year and it took more work than it does for some people. I'm 41 years old next week ... you are never good enough to stop learning so never think so.

Oh and for your stick length all of that will work itself out as you get better on your skates and have a better skating stance. having never seen you skate I have no idea what you look like and cannot comment. i am just going by some stuff I read in here from you and certain issues you are having.

Don't feel badly everyone has issues they need to work on no matter how long or how good they are. NHL guys work on things to improve constantly, you have to forever honestly.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote